Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 00:23:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The great private school cricket arms race
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Wed, 11 May 2022 07:23 UTC

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/05/11/revealed-great-private-school-cricket-arms-race/

Revealed: The great private school cricket arms race
Independent schools’ desperation to secure the next generation of talent has led to the creation of a football-style battle for talent

By
Tim Wigmore
11 May 2022 • 7:00am
Revealed: The great private school cricket arms race
Schools have been engaging in bidding wars to try and recruit the best young players CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

England’s leading private schools are engaged in an ‘arms race’ to attract the country’s best young cricketers, a Telegraph Sport investigation has revealed.

Independent schools’ desperation to secure the next generation of talent has led to the creation of a football-style battle for talent, with agents, parents and school directors of cricket all involved.

Other details that can be revealed include:

Offers of ‘110 per cent -off fees’ to the best young players in the country are common, with parents effectively paid to send their children to schools;
Bespoke scholarships are being offered to the best junior overseas players, including from India, West Indies and South Africa;
Schools are competing with each other to build increasingly high-spec facilities and recruit leading coaches, who can earn over £100,000 a year from schools;
Schools have developed close relationships with counties, raising concerns that young players from less privileged backgrounds are being disadvantaged..
The scramble for talent was underlined by one director of cricket at a high-profile public school. “Sometimes the headmaster will just say we need to get better, so what can we do?" he said. "I can probably go to the county age group and find out who's at a state school and see if we can find them a place. That's fairly commonplace.”

Multiple sources told The Telegraph that several schools now go beyond a package that covers a pupil’s full fees, offering 110 per cent off those costs to the most promising young cricketers.

Read more at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/05/11/revealed-great-private-school-cricket-arms-race/

RH