Bounders get bound when they are caught bounding. -- Ralph Lewin

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: John Barnes on patriotism

SubjectAuthor
* John Barnes on patriotismRH
`- Re: John Barnes on patriotismAndrew Smith

1
John Barnes on patriotism

<45087517-5cf3-47dd-899d-b58ee02b5746n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20722&group=uk.sport.cricket#20722

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 06:38:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: John Barnes on patriotism
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Tue, 10 May 2022 13:38 UTC

The difficulty of assimilation is illustrated by the black England footballer John Barnes who came to England at the age of 15 (http://www.football-england.com/john_barnes.html). Here are a few quotes from his autobiography:

I am fortunate my England career is now complete so I don’t have to sound patriotic any more.(P69)

I loathe the fact that the England team embody and foster nationalism. I feel both Jamaican and English. I’ve lived in England longer than I spent in Kingston but my roots are all Jamaican. I feel more Jamaican than English because I’m black. A lot of black people born in England feel more Jamaican than English because they are not accepted in the land of their birth on account of their colour, but they are not approved of in Jamaica because they speak with a funny accent. I am accepted in Jamaica because I was raised there and my father is respected across the island. (P 71)

Was I more patriotic for England than I would have been for Scotland? No. To keep everyone happy throughout my international career, I always said that my only choice was England because England is where I settled, but that wasn’t true. (p72)

When I played for England, I could never declare that nationalism is loathsome and illogical. I couldn’t say that if I played for France, I would try just as hard, which I would. I tried hard for England out of professional pride not patriotism – because I never felt any. (P72)

Barnes was undoubtedly a very talented player at club level but he rarely played as well for England. Judged by the comments quoted above that may have been because he did not feel part of the team in the same way he would have felt when playing for a club side. Indeed, it would not be unreasonable to ask why he played for England if he felt that way about England in particular or nationalism in general. The obvious venal answer is it enhanced his career and earning capacity.

There is also the effect that Barnes had on his England teammates. Again his autobiography is very revealing:

“None of my England team-mates ever questioned patriotism as I did. Overtly patriotic players would talk about how much they wanted to play in Italy or Spain. Now the Premiership has metamorphosed into the ‘in’ place, the same players are probably happy to stay at home. I didn’t mind them talking about patriotism~in terms of wanting to win matches, to be proud of playing for England. But when we sat around talking on England trips, l stirred up arguments by saying, ‘It’s impossible to be prouder of being English than French. England as a country is not better than France. England’s sense of superiority is irrational.’ I don’t know how that went down with Terry Butcher or Stuart Pearce. (P72)

RH

Re: John Barnes on patriotism

<e8b55dcb-6ed8-4fdb-965e-c9a8c906c1e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20752&group=uk.sport.cricket#20752

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 15:30:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: John Barnes on patriotism
From: tsp2...@gmail.com (Andrew Smith)
 by: Andrew Smith - Wed, 11 May 2022 22:30 UTC

On Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 10:28:22 AM UTC-7, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:

> How can he feel patriotic when there is still so much racism in England,

There isn't much racism in England. It's one of the least racist countries in the world.
For example, we don't have rahoonery, like Ireland.

https://thepienews.com/news/icos-survey-40-of-international-students-in-ireland-experience-racism/

> especially filthy racist virus like YOU?

It's you who is the filthy racist virus.

You are a filthy racist virus, from a filthy racist nation.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/most-racist-countries

'India ranks as the most racist of the countries included in the study. Located in southern Asia, India is the second-most-populous country on Earth, with roughly 1.3 billion people. According to the surveys, the country's residents display considerable intolerance for people with darker skin, whether they are of foreign descent (particularly African) or simply darker-skinned Indians. India has little immigration and few international residents. As a result, most of its people are of Indian descent themselves. This detail is considered to be a major contributing factor to racism in India.'

As an Indian historian comments:

https://openthemagazine.com/essay/churchill-a-war-criminal-get-your-history-right/
'Looking today at our blatantly colour-conscious and caste-ridden matrimonial adverts, our continuing prejudice against darker-skinned Shudras and our disgraceful treatment of Black African visitors and students, let any Indian who is free of racism cast the first stone at Churchill.'

YOU FULLY DESERVE WHAT THE CIA IS DOING TO YOU, AND MORE.