Majorities, of course, start with minorities. -- Robert Moses

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Mobile Phones

SubjectAuthor
* Mobile Phonesmaus
+* Mobile PhonesJohn Williamson
|+- Mobile Phonesmaus
|`- Mobile PhonesBrian Gaff
+- Mobile PhonesTease'n'Seize
+* Mobile PhonesTim+
|`* Mobile PhonesNicholas D. Richards
| +* Mobile PhonesTone
| |`* Mobile PhonesSn!pe
| | `* Mobile PhonesSam Plusnet
| |  `- Mobile PhonesRustyHinge
| `- Mobile Phonesmaus
`* Mobile Phonessoup
 `- Mobile PhonesBrian Gaff

1
Mobile Phones

<k983jeF1a38U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20761&group=uk.rec.sheds#20761

From: mau...@mail.com (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Mobile Phones
Date: 6 Apr 2023 14:34:22 GMT
 by: maus - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 14:34 UTC

Be very slow to change your mobile phone. I think I have messaged about
this recently, but the snag has hit again today, I tried to login to my
account at the big river company, and it asked me to receive a one time
pass on my old number, and the details were almost impossible to change.

I have recently started to shave my head, saves going to barber, but
otherwise I would be tearing my hair out.

That pales beside trying to renew my driving licence, but that is a
national issue.

See Yiz.

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Mobile Phones

<k986seF1sefU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20763&group=uk.rec.sheds#20763

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Mobile Phones
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 16:30:22 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 15:30 UTC

On 06/04/2023 15:34, maus wrote:
> Be very slow to change your mobile phone. I think I have messaged about
> this recently, but the snag has hit again today, I tried to login to my
> account at the big river company, and it asked me to receive a one time
> pass on my old number, and the details were almost impossible to change.

I recently changed my phone.

Put SIM in new phone, log on, get warnings of a log in from a new device
via e-mail and text. Google say "If this was you, ignore this message",
the River wants me to log in using my username and password using my
browser of choice, and I have all sorts of options to edit all my
details once I have done so.

All was then back to normal...

Then again, for the last twenty years or more, I've been buying (Mpstly
pre-hated) unlocked phones, since I worked out that was cheaper over the
life of the phone than the "subsidised" one the Telco would prefer to
"give" me, while charging me extra per call.

I have had the same phone number, bar dialling scheme changes (The code
used to be 0370, it is now 07770) since the very early days of digital
cellphones.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Mobile Phones

<PY2dncnFFbP-cLP5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20764&group=uk.rec.sheds#20764

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 17:03:39 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 16:03 UTC

maus wrote:

> Be very slow to change your mobile phone.
> it asked me to receive a one time
> pass on my old number

I've had over a dozen phobiles since 1996 but only one number.

Re: Mobile Phones

<k98c4gF2f1bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20766&group=uk.rec.sheds#20766

From: mau...@mail.com (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 6 Apr 2023 17:00:00 GMT
 by: maus - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 17:00 UTC

On 2023-04-06, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 06/04/2023 15:34, maus wrote:
>> Be very slow to change your mobile phone. I think I have messaged about
>> this recently, but the snag has hit again today, I tried to login to my
>> account at the big river company, and it asked me to receive a one time
>> pass on my old number, and the details were almost impossible to change.
>>
> I recently changed my phone.
>
> Put SIM in new phone, log on, get warnings of a log in from a new device
> via e-mail and text. Google say "If this was you, ignore this message",
> the River wants me to log in using my username and password using my
> browser of choice, and I have all sorts of options to edit all my
> details once I have done so.
>
> All was then back to normal...
>
> Then again, for the last twenty years or more, I've been buying (Mpstly
> pre-hated) unlocked phones, since I worked out that was cheaper over the
> life of the phone than the "subsidised" one the Telco would prefer to
> "give" me, while charging me extra per call.
>
> I have had the same phone number, bar dialling scheme changes (The code
> used to be 0370, it is now 07770) since the very early days of digital
> cellphones.

Where?. My crime was changing Numbers. AFAIK, your mobile number is
rapidly becomeing your personal identity number[*]. Ireland is different,
of course, but generally the S*** is the same.

Along with various others, to achieve maximum irritation.

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Mobile Phones

<482145587.702502087.937449.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20770&group=uk.rec.sheds#20770

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 6 Apr 2023 19:30:54 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 19:30 UTC

maus <maus@mail.com> wrote:
> Be very slow to change your mobile phone. I think I have messaged about
> this recently, but the snag has hit again today, I tried to login to my
> account at the big river company, and it asked me to receive a one time
> pass on my old number, and the details were almost impossible to change.

You made a rod for your own back by not transferring your number to your
new sim.

I’ve only ever had one phone number over the last 20 years or so.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Mobile Phones

<qtTVzUAFq1LkFAVm@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20775&group=uk.rec.sheds#20775

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 00:49:25 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 23:49 UTC

In article <482145587.702502087.937449.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individ
ual.net>, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> on Thu, 6 Apr 2023 at 19:30:54
awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>maus <maus@mail.com> wrote:
>> Be very slow to change your mobile phone. I think I have messaged about
>> this recently, but the snag has hit again today, I tried to login to my
>> account at the big river company, and it asked me to receive a one time
>> pass on my old number, and the details were almost impossible to change.
>
>You made a rod for your own back by not transferring your number to your
>new sim.
>
>I’ve only ever had one phone number over the last 20 years or so.
>
>Tim

My wife and I have hung on to our numbers for close on 30 years. Our
numbers are identical except for the last digit which are 1 and 2.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Mobile Phones

<u0o0pu$m1qo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20777&group=uk.rec.sheds#20777

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 03:57:02 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 02:57 UTC

On 07/04/2023 00:49, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <482145587.702502087.937449.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individ
> ual.net>, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> on Thu, 6 Apr 2023 at 19:30:54
> awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>> maus <maus@mail.com> wrote:
>>> Be very slow to change your mobile phone. I think I have messaged about
>>> this recently, but the snag has hit again today, I tried to login to my
>>> account at the big river company, and it asked me to receive a one time
>>> pass on my old number, and the details were almost impossible to change.
>>
>> You made a rod for your own back by not transferring your number to your
>> new sim.
>>
>> I’ve only ever had one phone number over the last 20 years or so.
>>
>> Tim
>>
> My wife and I have hung on to our numbers for close on 30 years. Our
> numbers are identical except for the last digit which are 1 and 2.

The only time I changed mobile phone number was when I was getting too
may abusive calls. My provider (Plusnet) changed the number for me
without problem. Have now had the same number with various phones for
about 9 years.

Tone

Re: Mobile Phones

<1q8sule.1bg9ehtp3iy37N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20778&group=uk.rec.sheds#20778

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 04:18:37 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 03:18 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
[...]
> The only time I changed mobile phone number was when I was getting too
> may abusive calls. My provider (Plusnet) changed the number for me
> without problem. Have now had the same number with various phones for
> about 9 years.

The simple way to get a new number is just get a new SIM.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

<https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

Re: Mobile Phones

<k99u4hF9steU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20779&group=uk.rec.sheds#20779

From: mau...@mail.com (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 7 Apr 2023 07:13:21 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 07:13 UTC

On 2023-04-06, Nicholas D. Richards <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <482145587.702502087.937449.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individ
> ual.net>, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> on Thu, 6 Apr 2023 at 19:30:54
> awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>maus <maus@mail.com> wrote:
>>> Be very slow to change your mobile phone. I think I have messaged about
>>> this recently, but the snag has hit again today, I tried to login to my
>>> account at the big river company, and it asked me to receive a one time
>>> pass on my old number, and the details were almost impossible to change.
>>
>>You made a rod for your own back by not transferring your number to your
>>new sim.
>>
>>I’ve only ever had one phone number over the last 20 years or so.
>>
>>Tim
>>
> My wife and I have hung on to our numbers for close on 30 years. Our
> numbers are identical except for the last digit which are 1 and 2.

I have determined to return to the old number if possible. Real Soon
Now,

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Mobile Phones

<u0ojvc$oitn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20790&group=uk.rec.sheds#20790

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 09:24:07 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 08:24 UTC

This text thing seems to be far worse on Gmail and other google services
than anywhere else. I think they are paranoid. I do find Dropbox do not like
it if I log in from outside where I live, they seem to think its been
hacked. Of course you then have to always keep your mobile handy,which is
not always possible if you turned it off for some peace and quiet.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"John Williamson" <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> On 06/04/2023 15:34, maus wrote:
>> Be very slow to change your mobile phone. I think I have messaged about
>> this recently, but the snag has hit again today, I tried to login to my
>> account at the big river company, and it asked me to receive a one time
>> pass on my old number, and the details were almost impossible to change.
>>
> I recently changed my phone.
>
> Put SIM in new phone, log on, get warnings of a log in from a new device
> via e-mail and text. Google say "If this was you, ignore this message",
> the River wants me to log in using my username and password using my
> browser of choice, and I have all sorts of options to edit all my details
> once I have done so.
>
> All was then back to normal...
>
> Then again, for the last twenty years or more, I've been buying (Mpstly
> pre-hated) unlocked phones, since I worked out that was cheaper over the
> life of the phone than the "subsidised" one the Telco would prefer to
> "give" me, while charging me extra per call.
>
> I have had the same phone number, bar dialling scheme changes (The code
> used to be 0370, it is now 07770) since the very early days of digital
> cellphones.
>

> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

Re: Mobile Phones

<u0oni3$p2ej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20792&group=uk.rec.sheds#20792

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 10:25:24 +0100
 by: soup - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 09:25 UTC

On 06/04/2023 15:34, maus wrote:
> Be very slow to change your mobile phone. I think I have messaged about
> this recently, but the snag has hit again today, I tried to login to my
> account at the big river company, and it asked me to receive a one time
> pass on my old number, and the details were almost impossible to change.

Impossible ?
Two clicks for me.

https://postimg.cc/MXmLD4Kn
https://postimg.cc/yJWB4Kxp

Re: Mobile Phones

<qB%XL.820751$aQS9.34496@fx01.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20800&group=uk.rec.sheds#20800

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 22:06:29 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 21:06 UTC

On 07-Apr-23 4:18, Sn!pe wrote:
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> The only time I changed mobile phone number was when I was getting too
>> may abusive calls. My provider (Plusnet) changed the number for me
>> without problem. Have now had the same number with various phones for
>> about 9 years.
>
> The simple way to get a new number is just get a new SIM.

Regardless of whether I change it when I change phones, I can _never_
unforget mobile numbers - never had that problem with landlines - just
phobiles.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Mobile Phones

<u0r5p8$16i10$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20802&group=uk.rec.sheds#20802

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 08:40:18 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 07:40 UTC

Its not easy for the blind if you happen to be on the phone and trying to
read a text as well with voice over.
Brian

--

--:
"soup" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 06/04/2023 15:34, maus wrote:
>> Be very slow to change your mobile phone. I think I have messaged about
>> this recently, but the snag has hit again today, I tried to login to my
>> account at the big river company, and it asked me to receive a one time
>> pass on my old number, and the details were almost impossible to change.
>
> Impossible ?
> Two clicks for me.
>
> https://postimg.cc/MXmLD4Kn
> https://postimg.cc/yJWB4Kxp

Re: Mobile Phones

<u0s25v$1afar$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20805&group=uk.rec.sheds#20805

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 16:45:03 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 15:45 UTC

On 07/04/2023 22:06, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 07-Apr-23 4:18, Sn!pe wrote:
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> The only time I changed mobile phone number was when I was getting too
>>> may abusive calls. My provider (Plusnet) changed the number for me
>>> without problem. Have now had the same number with various phones for
>>> about 9 years.
>>
>> The simple way to get a new number is just get a new SIM.
>
> Regardless of whether I change it when I change phones, I can _never_
> unforget mobile numbers - never had that problem with landlines - just
> phobiles.

I was <Dubya> delightificated </Dubya> with the numer I got with the arj
account I got from Plusnet a while ago - instantly memorabubble if you
(or I) unforget SI values.

--
Rusty Hinge