A CONS is an object which cares. -- Bernie Greenberg.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: McCullum as Test coaxh

SubjectAuthor
* McCullum as Test coaxhMike Holmans
+* Re: McCullum as Test coaxhMike Holmans
|`* Re: McCullum as Test coaxhMike Holmans
| `* Re: McCullum as Test coaxhmax.it
|  `- Re: McCullum as Test coaxhmike
+- Re: McCullum as Test coaxhRH
`* Re: McCullum as Test coaxhalvey
 `- Re: McCullum as Test coaxhMike Holmans

1
McCullum as Test coaxh

<fuvp7hd53v0447ihsatej759889f7ofoju@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20757&group=uk.sport.cricket#20757

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: McCullum as Test coaxh
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:09:07 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Thu, 12 May 2022 13:09 UTC

It seems that we're just awaiting some formalities before Brendon
McCullum is appointed Test coach.

Andrew Miller's piece on Cricinfo:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/brendon-mccullum-educated-punt-would-give-england-test-team-an-overdue-sense-of-identity-1314655

I agree with all of it, I think, particularly since it echoes someting
I was saying a couple of days ago.

"Test cricket has a choice. Does it do much as England has done in
recent campaigns, and corral itself off from the zeitgeist - picking
from a range of barnacles, workhorses and as-yet untainted rookies,
none of whom have yet put themselves forward for an IPL auction and
most of whom are never likely to anyway? Or does it seek to be bold -
and address T20's dominance head-on by presenting itself as the means
by which the very best can test the outer limits of their
capabilities? Earn your living on the T20 circuit by all means, but
step this way if you seek true greatness."

If (today) the likes of Stokes and Kohli bang on about Test cricket
being the ultimate form of the game, then those who idolise them will
believe it. When their successors at some point start saying the
opposite, those who then idolise those will believe it. If their
successors continue to bang on about Test cricket, they'll believe
that instead.

Agents can hold out wads of cash and county treasurers can regard f-c
cricket as a horrible waste of money, but they aren't going to change
what professional cricketers respect in other players or in themselves
as athletes. If that changes, it will be because players themselves
have come to that conclusion, not because of what they read on a
balance sheet.

The sporting side of the game wishes to retain red-ball cricket. The
financial side of the game isn't at all keen. The two are dependent on
each other and will continue to have to reach different accommodations
as circumstances change.

I regard McCullum's appointment as contributing very positively to the
maintenance of red-ball cricket.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: McCullum as Test coaxh

<o52q7h5dasdnpmcj5k24llqnn5t17vph0o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20758&group=uk.sport.cricket#20758

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: McCullum as Test coaxh
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:17:16 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Thu, 12 May 2022 13:17 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 14:09:07 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
wrote:

>It seems that we're just awaiting some formalities before Brendon
>McCullum is appointed Test coach.

They've been cleared. It's official.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: McCullum as Test coaxh

<f0124674-4741-4097-a560-7342d8a581cdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20761&group=uk.sport.cricket#20761

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 07:40:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Thu, 12 May 2022 14:40 UTC

On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 2:09:10 PM UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
> It seems that we're just awaiting some formalities before Brendon
> McCullum is appointed Test coach.
>
> Andrew Miller's piece on Cricinfo:
> https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/brendon-mccullum-educated-punt-would-give-england-test-team-an-overdue-sense-of-identity-1314655
>
> I agree with all of it, I think, particularly since it echoes someting
> I was saying a couple of days ago.
>
> "Test cricket has a choice. Does it do much as England has done in
> recent campaigns, and corral itself off from the zeitgeist - picking
> from a range of barnacles, workhorses and as-yet untainted rookies,
> none of whom have yet put themselves forward for an IPL auction and
> most of whom are never likely to anyway? Or does it seek to be bold -
> and address T20's dominance head-on by presenting itself as the means
> by which the very best can test the outer limits of their
> capabilities? Earn your living on the T20 circuit by all means, but
> step this way if you seek true greatness."
>
> If (today) the likes of Stokes and Kohli bang on about Test cricket
> being the ultimate form of the game, then those who idolise them will
> believe it. When their successors at some point start saying the
> opposite, those who then idolise those will believe it. If their
> successors continue to bang on about Test cricket, they'll believe
> that instead.
>
> Agents can hold out wads of cash and county treasurers can regard f-c
> cricket as a horrible waste of money, but they aren't going to change
> what professional cricketers respect in other players or in themselves
> as athletes. If that changes, it will be because players themselves
> have come to that conclusion, not because of what they read on a
> balance sheet.
>
> The sporting side of the game wishes to retain red-ball cricket. The
> financial side of the game isn't at all keen. The two are dependent on
> each other and will continue to have to reach different accommodations
> as circumstances change.
>
> I regard McCullum's appointment as contributing very positively to the
> maintenance of red-ball cricket.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

Wrong in principle to have coaches/managers for national teams who are not drawn from the nationality of the national teams they manage, eg the coach of the national side NZ should be a Kiwi. Anything else means coaches/managers are compromised by the fact that they are essentially mercenaries

RH

Re: McCullum as Test coaxh

<057q7hdnuupl57rtcim0hop221qkea7jvs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20762&group=uk.sport.cricket#20762

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 15:42:38 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Thu, 12 May 2022 14:42 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 14:17:16 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 May 2022 14:09:07 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>It seems that we're just awaiting some formalities before Brendon
>>McCullum is appointed Test coach.
>
>They've been cleared. It's official.

So we now have a New Zealander as Test coach and a New Zealander as
Test captain.

Very neat.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: McCullum as Test coaxh

<d5dq7hdb895a6ed5mj4eeond1pn7f8kk3r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20763&group=uk.sport.cricket#20763

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 17:27:55 +0100
 by: max.it - Thu, 12 May 2022 16:27 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 15:42:38 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 May 2022 14:17:16 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 12 May 2022 14:09:07 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>It seems that we're just awaiting some formalities before Brendon
>>>McCullum is appointed Test coach.
>>
>>They've been cleared. It's official.
>
>So we now have a New Zealander as Test coach and a New Zealander as
>Test captain.
>
>Very neat.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike

If some of that Kiwi attitude would rub off on the team it would be a
great start.

max.it

Re: McCullum as Test coaxh

<504e55a9-fa2c-4268-a293-9638a3958f66n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20764&group=uk.sport.cricket#20764

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:34:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Thu, 12 May 2022 21:34 UTC

On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 5:28:03 PM UTC+1, max.it wrote:

> >>They've been cleared. It's official.
> >
> >So we now have a New Zealander as Test coach and a New Zealander as
> >Test captain.
> >
> >Very neat.

just like the new zealanders;) and we play them next. hmmm

> >Cheers,
> >
> >Mike
> If some of that Kiwi attitude would rub off on the team it would be a
> great start.

interesting appointment, wonder if Stokes had some input on this,
and how it will shape the selection of the test team.

mike

Re: McCullum as Test coaxh

<abpl3etby4f1$.1xuctln6fxh0q.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20765&group=uk.sport.cricket#20765

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 11:39:29 +1000
 by: alvey - Fri, 13 May 2022 01:39 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 14:09:07 +0100, Mike Holmans wrote:

> I regard McCullum's appointment as contributing very positively to the
> maintenance of red-ball cricket.

Good luck to him. I liked the way he played and his philosophy on the game.

alvey

Re: McCullum as Test coaxh

<5vdr7h17qcil51kllc913acbatpbvjd1jr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20766&group=uk.sport.cricket#20766

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 02:47:35 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Fri, 13 May 2022 01:47 UTC

On Fri, 13 May 2022 11:39:29 +1000, alvey <alvey@is.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 12 May 2022 14:09:07 +0100, Mike Holmans wrote:
>

>> I regard McCullum's appointment as contributing very positively to the
>> maintenance of red-ball cricket.
>
>Good luck to him. I liked the way he played and his philosophy on the game.

The fact that he spent 13 hours grafting out 302 in a Test as well as
scoring those ridiculously fast hundreds in T20 suggests he knows
about balancing attack and defence while remaining positive, which is
what England's Test batting has lacked (unless Root is at the crease)
for some time now.

Cheers,

Mike