IOT trap -- core dumped

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

SubjectAuthor
* Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneMike Halmarack
+* Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneJaimie Vandenbergh
|+- Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneJaimie Vandenbergh
|`* Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneMike Halmarack
| `* Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phonewasbit
|  `- Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneMike Halmarack
`* Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneThe Other John
 +- Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneJaimie Vandenbergh
 +* Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneRobin
 |`* Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneMike Halmarack
 | `* Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneRobin
 |  `- Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneMike Halmarack
 `- Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phoneMike Halmarack

1
Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<ovko4h1e40d8elto5ejr24n6cdsvmbu0rr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2085&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2085

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 15:55:02 +0100
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 14:55 UTC

For some months now attempting to complete an online Tesco shop is
(too often) periodically met with errors. This is when using either
Firefox or Chrome on one of several PC.
Until today I just grinned and kept trying until it came right.
Often the process will freeze during sign in, or throw up a " secure
connection failed" when attempting to Checkout, or freeze right at the
last after entering the Visa security code.

This has been my variety of experiences most of this afternoon.

For the first time I then reluctantly tried it on the smartphone and
it went through perfectly at first attempt.
This phone is using WiFi through the same network router as the cabled
Pcs.
I suppose it could be a coincidence but I don't think it is.
Any suggestions?

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<jb35p6F62goU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2086&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2086

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone
Date: 5 Apr 2022 15:32:54 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 15:32 UTC

On 5 Apr 2022 at 15:55:02 BST, "Mike Halmarack"
<mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

> For some months now attempting to complete an online Tesco shop is
> (too often) periodically met with errors. This is when using either
> Firefox or Chrome on one of several PC.
> Until today I just grinned and kept trying until it came right.
> Often the process will freeze during sign in, or throw up a " secure
> connection failed" when attempting to Checkout, or freeze right at the
> last after entering the Visa security code.
>
> This has been my variety of experiences most of this afternoon.
>
> For the first time I then reluctantly tried it on the smartphone and
> it went through perfectly at first attempt.
> This phone is using WiFi through the same network router as the cabled
> Pcs.
> I suppose it could be a coincidence but I don't think it is.
> Any suggestions?

Got any privacy/adblockers/antimalware type stuff enabled on the PC?

Try a blank new profile in FF/Chrome and see what happens.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++
makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<jb35tiF63ffU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2087&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2087

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 5 Apr 2022 15:35:14 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 15:35 UTC

On 5 Apr 2022 at 16:32:54 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 5 Apr 2022 at 15:55:02 BST, "Mike Halmarack"
> <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For some months now attempting to complete an online Tesco shop is
>> (too often) periodically met with errors. This is when using either
>> Firefox or Chrome on one of several PC.
>> Until today I just grinned and kept trying until it came right.
>> Often the process will freeze during sign in, or throw up a " secure
>> connection failed" when attempting to Checkout, or freeze right at the
>> last after entering the Visa security code.
>>
>> This has been my variety of experiences most of this afternoon.
>>
>> For the first time I then reluctantly tried it on the smartphone and
>> it went through perfectly at first attempt.
>> This phone is using WiFi through the same network router as the cabled
>> Pcs.
>> I suppose it could be a coincidence but I don't think it is.
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Got any privacy/adblockers/antimalware type stuff enabled on the PC?

I meant in the browser plugins etc, thus:

> Try a blank new profile in FF/Chrome and see what happens.

but also applies for external AV/AM and stuff like PiHole, eg if you
have Malwarebytes live scanner or anything else that might chop off a
network connection that it thinks is a bad idea, but Tesco rely on
(whether for actual functionality or horrible tracking isn't really
important).

Cheers - Jaimie

--
Imagine how happy you might be if you spent less time
imagining how happy you might be.

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<t2hpth$2oi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2088&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2088

From: nom...@home.org (The Other John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 16:14:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Other John - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 16:14 UTC

On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 15:55:02 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:

> Any suggestions?

I had that problem with FF so I tried Edge and it worked perfectly. I
suspect it's something to do with privacy settings in FF.

--
TOJ.

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<jb388uF6h80U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2089&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2089

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 5 Apr 2022 16:15:26 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 16:15 UTC

On 5 Apr 2022 at 17:14:41 BST, "The Other John" <nomail@home.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 15:55:02 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> I had that problem with FF so I tried Edge and it worked perfectly. I
> suspect it's something to do with privacy settings in FF.

It might be - but not in Chrome, which is by an advertising company :)

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted"
-- Bertrand Russell

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<517f77bf-5d22-3212-a92e-7d6f050e2eaf@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2090&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2090

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 17:24:44 +0100
 by: Robin - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 16:24 UTC

On 05/04/2022 17:14, The Other John wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 15:55:02 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> I had that problem with FF so I tried Edge and it worked perfectly. I
> suspect it's something to do with privacy settings in FF.

I use FF successfully for Tesco online shopping - but do indeed have to
allow a lot scripts/trackers/other stuff.

And like so many others Tesco seem to be focusing on developing their
app. E.g. the ability to check stock in stores is only offered on the app.

--
Robin

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<pmbq4hd7sb8okp8uu8h6u689pdbqvqbvcq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2092&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2092

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 07:15:42 +0100
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 06:15 UTC

On 5 Apr 2022 15:32:54 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>On 5 Apr 2022 at 15:55:02 BST, "Mike Halmarack"
><mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For some months now attempting to complete an online Tesco shop is
>> (too often) periodically met with errors. This is when using either
>> Firefox or Chrome on one of several PC.
>> Until today I just grinned and kept trying until it came right.
>> Often the process will freeze during sign in, or throw up a " secure
>> connection failed" when attempting to Checkout, or freeze right at the
>> last after entering the Visa security code.
>>
>> This has been my variety of experiences most of this afternoon.
>>
>> For the first time I then reluctantly tried it on the smartphone and
>> it went through perfectly at first attempt.
>> This phone is using WiFi through the same network router as the cabled
>> Pcs.
>> I suppose it could be a coincidence but I don't think it is.
>> Any suggestions?
>
>Got any privacy/adblockers/antimalware type stuff enabled on the PC?

Some, although I'll see if I can turn it off next time I go shopping.
I have uninstalled malwarebytes but still have it's folders and files
in my users directory, so I don't know the possible effect of that.
Kaspersky too come to that

>Try a blank new profile in FF/Chrome and see what happens.

Thanks, I tried that. It didn't seem to have any effect.
> Cheers - Jaimie

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<u2cq4hp1hsjftvg7mdded5ppp7vgb54c5m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2093&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2093

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 07:18:20 +0100
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 06:18 UTC

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 16:14:41 -0000 (UTC), The Other John
<nomail@home.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 15:55:02 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>I had that problem with FF so I tried Edge and it worked perfectly. I
>suspect it's something to do with privacy settings in FF.

Sounds like a possible reason to use Edge for the first time.
Up until now all my efforts have been to delete it.

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<j7cq4hponpn4v9s4gbhj59rjlq8h19topu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2094&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2094

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 07:24:10 +0100
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 06:24 UTC

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 17:24:44 +0100, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

>On 05/04/2022 17:14, The Other John wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 15:55:02 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> I had that problem with FF so I tried Edge and it worked perfectly. I
>> suspect it's something to do with privacy settings in FF.
>>

>I use FF successfully for Tesco online shopping - but do indeed have to
>allow a lot scripts/trackers/other stuff.

I haven't been too aware of the need to make extra allowances for
Tesco access before. And the thing is, ithe site is accessible as
often as not with the same old settings.

>And like so many others Tesco seem to be focusing on developing their
>app. E.g. the ability to check stock in stores is only offered on the app.

That's interesting, although I have a strong (possibly illogical)
aversion to perform financial activities on my phone.

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<9e21ddad-95aa-7b17-1c7f-fe7324108f79@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2096&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2096

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:49:04 +0100
 by: Robin - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 08:49 UTC

On 06/04/2022 07:24, Mike Halmarack wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 17:24:44 +0100, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

>>> I had that problem with FF so I tried Edge and it worked perfectly. I
>>> suspect it's something to do with privacy settings in FF.
>>>

>> I use FF successfully for Tesco online shopping - but do indeed have to
>> allow a lot scripts/trackers/other stuff.
>
> I haven't been too aware of the need to make extra allowances for
> Tesco access before. And the thing is, ithe site is accessible as
> often as not with the same old settings.

I agree about stability of settings: I just log in.

>> And like so many others Tesco seem to be focusing on developing their
>> app. E.g. the ability to check stock in stores is only offered on the app.
>
> That's interesting, although I have a strong (possibly illogical)
> aversion to perform financial activities on my phone.

No need to enter any financial info. in order to use the app to check
stock. And the shopping list now even tells you which aisle stuff is in
which can help those of us whose memory isn't as good as (we think) it
was :(

--
Robin

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<t2jke6$h55$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2097&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2097

From: wasbitRe...@hotmailt.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:53:24 +0100
 by: wasbit - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 08:53 UTC

"Mike Halmarack" <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 5 Apr 2022 15:32:54 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh
> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>>On 5 Apr 2022 at 15:55:02 BST, "Mike Halmarack"
>><mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For some months now attempting to complete an online Tesco shop is
>>> (too often) periodically met with errors. This is when using either
>>> Firefox or Chrome on one of several PC.
>>> Until today I just grinned and kept trying until it came right.
>>> Often the process will freeze during sign in, or throw up a " secure
>>> connection failed" when attempting to Checkout, or freeze right at the
>>> last after entering the Visa security code.
>>>
>>> This has been my variety of experiences most of this afternoon.
>>>
>>> For the first time I then reluctantly tried it on the smartphone and
>>> it went through perfectly at first attempt.
>>> This phone is using WiFi through the same network router as the cabled
>>> Pcs.
>>> I suppose it could be a coincidence but I don't think it is.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>>Got any privacy/adblockers/antimalware type stuff enabled on the PC?
>
> Some, although I'll see if I can turn it off next time I go shopping.
> I have uninstalled malwarebytes but still have it's folders and files
> in my users directory, so I don't know the possible effect of that.
> Kaspersky too come to that
>
>>Try a blank new profile in FF/Chrome and see what happens.
>
> Thanks, I tried that. It didn't seem to have any effect.

Reporting what you haven't got in the way of anti malware or anti virus
isn't as helpful as saying what you do have.
FYI, Malwarebytes has both a commercial & a free version. The free version
is 'Resident' (on all the time) for one month then reverts to being an 'on
demand' scanner. The on demand version can stay installed without causing
conflicts with other similar programmes.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<752r4hlh9dkrg9loobqme223ta4vr4jlub@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2098&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2098

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 13:43:22 +0100
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 12:43 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:53:24 +0100, "wasbit"
<wasbitRemove@hotmailt.com> wrote:

>"Mike Halmarack" <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 5 Apr 2022 15:32:54 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh
>> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>>>Got any privacy/adblockers/antimalware type stuff enabled on the PC?
>>
>> Some, although I'll see if I can turn it off next time I go shopping.
>> I have uninstalled malwarebytes but still have it's folders and files
>> in my users directory, so I don't know the possible effect of that.
>> Kaspersky too come to that
>>
>>>Try a blank new profile in FF/Chrome and see what happens.
>>
>> Thanks, I tried that. It didn't seem to have any effect.
>
>Reporting what you haven't got in the way of anti malware or anti virus
>isn't as helpful as saying what you do have.

What I have got is easier to explain.
I like simple solutions, they suit my brain capacity. This may be the
only justification from leaping on one Net based opinion that these
days all a Win 10 user needs by way of anti virus/malware security is
Windows Defender. Disabuse me of this belief if you must.

>FYI, Malwarebytes has both a commercial & a free version. The free version
>is 'Resident' (on all the time) for one month then reverts to being an 'on
>demand' scanner. The on demand version can stay installed without causing
>conflicts with other similar programmes.

That's reassuring. Next time I install it I'll leave it be.
--

Mike

Re: Tesco shopping errors on PC but not on phone

<fq2r4hpcipevuv6a5lpj2ega5n3rglqdtc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2099&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2099

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 13:45:36 +0100
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 12:45 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:49:04 +0100, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

>On 06/04/2022 07:24, Mike Halmarack wrote:

>>> I use FF successfully for Tesco online shopping - but do indeed have to
>>> allow a lot scripts/trackers/other stuff.
>>
>> I haven't been too aware of the need to make extra allowances for
>> Tesco access before. And the thing is, ithe site is accessible as
>> often as not with the same old settings.
>
>I agree about stability of settings: I just log in.
>
>>> And like so many others Tesco seem to be focusing on developing their
>>> app. E.g. the ability to check stock in stores is only offered on the app.
>>
>> That's interesting, although I have a strong (possibly illogical)
>> aversion to perform financial activities on my phone.
>
>No need to enter any financial info. in order to use the app to check
>stock. And the shopping list now even tells you which aisle stuff is in
>which can help those of us whose memory isn't as good as (we think) it
>was :(

I can relate to that.
--

Mike