<DarthVadr> Kira: JOIN THE DARK SIDE, YOUNG ONE. <kira> darth, I *am* the dark side.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Testing CPU

SubjectAuthor
* Testing CPUJeff Gaines
+* Re: Testing CPUPancho
|`* Re: Testing CPUJeff Gaines
| `- Re: Testing CPUPancho
+- Re: Testing CPUChris
`* Re: Testing CPUAdrian Caspersz
 `* Re: Testing CPUJeff Gaines
  `* Re: Testing CPUJeff Gaines
   +* Re: Testing CPUAbandoned_Trolley
   |`- Re: Testing CPUJeff Gaines
   `- Re: Testing CPUAbandoned_Trolley

1
Testing CPU

<xn0ngdwdibxx8kf00j@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2109&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2109

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Testing CPU
Date: 8 Apr 2022 21:09:13 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:09 UTC

I am beginning to remember why I don't like my Asus Z170K homebuilt.
Visual studio has just crashed three times in a row while trying to
compile a programme I am working on.

I have run Memtest & Prime64 with no issues. I can't believe I am asking
since I expect a CPU either works or it doesn't but is there any software
to test the CPU itself to make sure I didn't bend the pins on this mobo
(it's the second, I had to trash the first)?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Re: Testing CPU

<t2q8s8$5ar$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2110&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2110

From: Pancho.D...@outlook.com (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Testing CPU
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 22:19:05 +0100
 by: Pancho - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:19 UTC

On 08/04/2022 22:09, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am beginning to remember why I don't like my Asus Z170K homebuilt.
> Visual studio has just crashed three times in a row while trying to
> compile a programme I am working on.
>
> I have run Memtest & Prime64 with no issues. I can't believe I am asking
> since I expect a CPU either works or it doesn't but is there any
> software to test the CPU itself to make sure I didn't bend the pins on
> this mobo (it's the second, I had to trash the first)?

Visual Studio has always crashed, but maybe being slower, or not having
enough memory, makes it worse.

What language are you "compiling" C++? Have you considered using a
Jetbrains alternative, IntelliJ, Pycharm are great. Rider semes ok. I
guess Clion is good.

Or maybe VSCode which is supposed to be OK, not that I've got the hang
of it yet.

Re: Testing CPU

<xn0ngdxsjbztyel00k@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2111&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2111

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 8 Apr 2022 22:02:39 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 22:02 UTC

On 08/04/2022 in message <t2q8s8$5ar$1@dont-email.me> Pancho wrote:

>On 08/04/2022 22:09, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>I am beginning to remember why I don't like my Asus Z170K homebuilt.
>>Visual studio has just crashed three times in a row while trying to
>>compile a programme I am working on.
>>
>>I have run Memtest & Prime64 with no issues. I can't believe I am asking
>>since I expect a CPU either works or it doesn't but is there any software
>>to test the CPU itself to make sure I didn't bend the pins on this mobo
>>(it's the second, I had to trash the first)?
>>
>Visual Studio has always crashed, but maybe being slower, or not having
>enough memory, makes it worse.
>
>What language are you "compiling" C++? Have you considered using a
>Jetbrains alternative, IntelliJ, Pycharm are great. Rider semes ok. I
>guess Clion is good.
>
>Or maybe VSCode which is supposed to be OK, not that I've got the hang of
>it yet.

I am writing a dual pane explorer using the WindowsAPICodePack which MSFT
released many years ago but then tried to disown - I think it reveals a
lot of the cludges in Windows code!

I am struggling to see why cleaning/compiling should cause it problems, if
the program crashes when I run it that won't be too unusual but I need it
to compile first!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant

Re: Testing CPU

<t2rdgg$6ng$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2112&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2112

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 07:44:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wQXag7m4lipvUnPkNndMp9Ju14E=
 by: Chris - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 07:44 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I am beginning to remember why I don't like my Asus Z170K homebuilt.
> Visual studio has just crashed three times in a row while trying to
> compile a programme I am working on.
>
> I have run Memtest & Prime64 with no issues.

How long did you run them for? If it's an intermittent issue you'll need to
run them for longer; i.e. at least twice as long as your compile time.

> I can't believe I am asking
> since I expect a CPU either works or it doesn't but is there any software
> to test the CPU itself to make sure I didn't bend the pins on this mobo
> (it's the second, I had to trash the first)?

I doubt that. RAM is the much more likely culprit. Have you tried clocking
it down in the BIOS? Or removing one stick at time, if you have more than
one?

Re: Testing CPU

<jbd09hF2lusU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2113&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2113

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 10:00:32 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 09:00 UTC

On 08/04/2022 22:09, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am beginning to remember why I don't like my Asus Z170K homebuilt.
> Visual studio has just crashed three times in a row while trying to
> compile a programme I am working on.

Is this a crash that brings down the PC?

If not, is there an exception logged in the event viewer application
log. Is there the creation of a process dump file mentioned?

--
Adrian C

Re: Testing CPU

<t2riq3$blt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2114&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2114

From: Pancho.D...@outlook.com (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 10:14:41 +0100
 by: Pancho - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 09:14 UTC

On 08/04/2022 23:02, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 08/04/2022 in message <t2q8s8$5ar$1@dont-email.me> Pancho wrote:
>
>> On 08/04/2022 22:09, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>>
>>> I am beginning to remember why I don't like my Asus Z170K homebuilt.
>>> Visual studio has just crashed three times in a row while trying to
>>> compile a programme I am working on.
>>>
>>> I have run Memtest & Prime64 with no issues. I can't believe I am
>>> asking since I expect a CPU either works or it doesn't but is there
>>> any  software to test the CPU itself to make sure I didn't bend the
>>> pins on  this mobo (it's the second, I had to trash the first)?
>>>
>> Visual Studio has always crashed, but maybe being slower, or not
>> having enough memory, makes it worse.
>>
>> What language are you "compiling" C++? Have you considered using a
>> Jetbrains alternative, IntelliJ, Pycharm are great. Rider semes ok. I
>> guess Clion is good.
>>
>> Or maybe VSCode which is supposed to be OK, not that I've got the hang
>> of it yet.
>
> I am writing a dual pane explorer using the WindowsAPICodePack which
> MSFT released many years ago but then tried to disown - I think it
> reveals a lot of the cludges in Windows code!
>
> I am struggling to see why cleaning/compiling should cause it problems,
> if the program crashes when I run it that won't be too unusual but I
> need it to compile first!

Visual Studio is what it is.

My first inclination would be to reinstall Visual Studio, or maybe to
test the VS/same code on a different machine.

Re: Testing CPU

<xn0ngevfgcsclmp00l@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2115&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2115

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 9 Apr 2022 11:20:58 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:20 UTC

On 09/04/2022 in message <jbd09hF2lusU1@mid.individual.net> Adrian
Caspersz wrote:

>On 08/04/2022 22:09, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>I am beginning to remember why I don't like my Asus Z170K homebuilt.
>>Visual studio has just crashed three times in a row while trying to
>>compile a programme I am working on.
>
>Is this a crash that brings down the PC?
>
>If not, is there an exception logged in the event viewer application log.
>Is there the creation of a process dump file mentioned?

Hi Adrian.

It doesn't bring down the PC. What happens is it stops writing to the
output window and the menu options to Clean and Rebuild remain grayed out.
I also discovered this morning that although I can make changes to the
files (i.e. I had to correct the name of a ToolStripButton) which it saves
there will be a graphic element that won't respond. In this case it was a
ToolStrip. Really weird. I will copy it all over to the HP Z620 later and
see how it works there. That has 2 x Xeons and 64 GB RAM against 1 x i7
and 32 GB RAM.

There are a horrendous number of critical errors in the event viewer, most
of them complaining that a driver install failed, I'll have to Google that!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Re: Testing CPU

<xn0ngfbw6gu2fz000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2120&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2120

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 9 Apr 2022 21:47:46 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 21:47 UTC

On 09/04/2022 in message <xn0ngevfgcsclmp00l@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>>Is this a crash that brings down the PC?
>>
>>If not, is there an exception logged in the event viewer application log.
>>Is there the creation of a process dump file mentioned?
>
>Hi Adrian.
>
>It doesn't bring down the PC. What happens is it stops writing to the
>output window and the menu options to Clean and Rebuild remain grayed out.
>I also discovered this morning that although I can make changes to the
>files (i.e. I had to correct the name of a ToolStripButton) which it saves
>there will be a graphic element that won't respond. In this case it was a
>ToolStrip. Really weird. I will copy it all over to the HP Z620 later and
>see how it works there. That has 2 x Xeons and 64 GB RAM against 1 x i7
>and 32 GB RAM.

Just to follow up I tried compiling this on the HP Z620. It didn't crash
but threw up a load of different problems such as picking up a graphical
element and "sticking" it to the cursor so that I couldn't shake it off!
It may be because the program contains two copies of Explorer (using the
IExplorerBrowser interface) that are effectively "live" and so change as
the program compiles, I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

Incidentally if anybody knows how to programmatically turn the "Navigation
Pane" on and off using the IExplorerBrowser interface I'd love to know,
it's hard to find a forum of any sort where people use C# to play with the
Windows API.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant

Re: Testing CPU

<t2u9rr$lph$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2121&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2121

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 11:00:26 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:00 UTC

> Incidentally if anybody knows how to programmatically turn the
> "Navigation Pane" on and off using the IExplorerBrowser interface I'd
> love to know, it's hard to find a forum of any sort where people use C#
> to play with the Windows API.

Have you tried your luck on Stackoverflow ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Testing CPU

<xn0nghkao2jkq97003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2125&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2125

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 11 Apr 2022 08:40:03 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:40 UTC

On 10/04/2022 in message <t2u9rr$lph$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned_Trolley
wrote:

>>Incidentally if anybody knows how to programmatically turn the
>>"Navigation Pane" on and off using the IExplorerBrowser interface I'd
>>love to know, it's hard to find a forum of any sort where people use C#
>>to play with the Windows API.
>>

>Have you tried your luck on Stackoverflow ?

Thanks for the suggestion, I have now put a question in there :-)

Interestingly Windows Defender popped up this morning screaming that it
had found a file that was dangerous - it was one of the intermediate code
files Visual Studio produces when compiling!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those

Re: Testing CPU

<t3ltuq$jbe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2126&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2126

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:04:26 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:04 UTC

> Incidentally if anybody knows how to programmatically turn the
> "Navigation Pane" on and off using the IExplorerBrowser interface I'd
> love to know, it's hard to find a forum of any sort where people use C#
> to play with the Windows API.

also ... theres a number of "microsoft.vstudio" newsgroups around - at
least one of them in English

--
random signature text inserted here