... I think I'd better go back to my DESK and toy with a few common MISAPPREHENSIONS ...

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: More Proliant microserver problems.

SubjectAuthor
* More Proliant microserver problems.newshound
+* Re: More Proliant microserver problems.Andy Burns
|`* Re: More Proliant microserver problems.Andy Burns
| `- Re: More Proliant microserver problems.newshound
`* Re: More Proliant microserver problems.Theo
 `- Re: More Proliant microserver problems.newshound

1
More Proliant microserver problems.

<t3rurc$mrs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2136&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2136

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: More Proliant microserver problems.
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:56:28 +0100
 by: newshound - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:56 UTC

I can't even figure out how to get into the optical drive bay.

I have the serial number and product ID (5C7228P4F2 and 658553-421), but
can't persuade the HP site to tell me which generation or model number
this is.

Is this the right site?

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay........

I haven't yet found a YouTube video for a matching model. I've found one
that shows how to remove the casing, but that model has two thumbscrews,
top left and top right of the back of the case. Mine only has a single
one, top centre of the back, and it does not *seem* to release the lid.
I can find lots of "instructions" for the various models on the HP site,
but very few "GA" drawings and none of the "click for video" links work.

I used to take PDP-8's apart to replace boards, and the first IBM-PC I
worked on was a 110 volt twin floppy grey import before any proper ones
reached the UK, so I am not exactly a beginner with hardware.

I realise of course that I am missing something obvious, but any
guidance would be most welcome

TIA

Steve

Re: More Proliant microserver problems.

<jcddk7Fa021U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2137&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2137

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: More Proliant microserver problems.
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:04:23 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:04 UTC

newshound wrote:

> I can't even figure out how to get into the optical drive bay.
>
> I have the serial number and product ID (5C7228P4F2 and 658553-421), but can't
> persuade the HP site to tell me which generation or model number this is.
>
> Is this the right site?
>
> https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay........

I would have though it would be on the HPE website, but there is this for the
N40L on the old HP website

<https://www.hp.com/nz-en/pdf/HP_ProLiant_MicroServer_tcm_194_1127013.pdf>

Re: More Proliant microserver problems.

<jcddpqFa021U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2138&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2138

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:07:22 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:07 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> newshound wrote:
>
>> I can't even figure out how to get into the optical drive bay.
>>
>> I have the serial number and product ID (5C7228P4F2 and 658553-421), but can't
>> persuade the HP site to tell me which generation or model number this is.
>>
>> Is this the right site?
>>
>> https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay........
>
> I would have though it would be on the HPE website, but there is this for the
> N40L on the old HP website
>
> <https://www.hp.com/nz-en/pdf/HP_ProLiant_MicroServer_tcm_194_1127013.pdf>

I haven't watched this, but it sounds like it might help, if he's not too annoying

<https://youtu.be/ln3605LDtiA>

Re: More Proliant microserver problems.

<t3sd7j$edm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2139&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2139

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 21:01:57 +0100
 by: newshound - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:01 UTC

On 21/04/2022 17:07, Andy Burns wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> newshound wrote:
>>
>>> I can't even figure out how to get into the optical drive bay.
>>>
>>> I have the serial number and product ID (5C7228P4F2 and 658553-421),
>>> but can't persuade the HP site to tell me which generation or model
>>> number this is.
>>>
>>> Is this the right site?
>>>
>>> https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay........
>>
>> I would have though it would be on the HPE website, but there is this
>> for the N40L on the old HP website
>>
>> <https://www.hp.com/nz-en/pdf/HP_ProLiant_MicroServer_tcm_194_1127013.pdf>
>>

> I haven't watched this, but it sounds like it might help, if he's not
> too annoying
>
> <https://youtu.be/ln3605LDtiA>

Brilliant, thanks yes that seems to be the model. I just wasn't pushing
quite hard enough to release the top. So now tomorrow's job is to fit
the SSD and try to persuade it to boot from that! I only have two hard
drives in it at the moment, presumably I could fit the SSD to the Drive
1 connectors and just move the hard drives over if I have trouble
booting from the "optical".

Re: More Proliant microserver problems.

<OJg*04gMy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2140&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2140

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 21 Apr 2022 21:04:32 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:04 UTC

newshound <sradcliffe544@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't even figure out how to get into the optical drive bay.
>
> I have the serial number and product ID (5C7228P4F2 and 658553-421), but
> can't persuade the HP site to tell me which generation or model number
> this is.

That's a Microserver Gen7 N40L.

> I haven't yet found a YouTube video for a matching model. I've found one
> that shows how to remove the casing, but that model has two thumbscrews,
> top left and top right of the back of the case. Mine only has a single
> one, top centre of the back, and it does not *seem* to release the lid.
> I can find lots of "instructions" for the various models on the HP site,
> but very few "GA" drawings and none of the "click for video" links work.

There isn't a lid, there's a front.

Remove anything from the front USB ports. Unscrew the thumbscrew at the top
rear. Open the front door. Facing the front of the unit, grab the top with
your hand and pull it towards you, pushing back against the internal drive
cage with your other hand. The front should slide towards you about a
centimetre and then unlatch. It may be stiff the first time.

Once that piece is out it's possible to unhitch the door, although there's
not usually a need for that.

The optical bay has a plastic bay cover as part of the lid/front that can
be removed, and then a metal piece which is spot welded in - you need to
twist it to break the welds and allow it to be removed.

Theo

Re: More Proliant microserver problems.

<t3sfmp$3mb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2141&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2141

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 21:44:08 +0100
 by: newshound - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:44 UTC

On 21/04/2022 21:04, Theo wrote:
> newshound <sradcliffe544@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't even figure out how to get into the optical drive bay.
>>
>> I have the serial number and product ID (5C7228P4F2 and 658553-421), but
>> can't persuade the HP site to tell me which generation or model number
>> this is.
>
> That's a Microserver Gen7 N40L.
>
>> I haven't yet found a YouTube video for a matching model. I've found one
>> that shows how to remove the casing, but that model has two thumbscrews,
>> top left and top right of the back of the case. Mine only has a single
>> one, top centre of the back, and it does not *seem* to release the lid.
>> I can find lots of "instructions" for the various models on the HP site,
>> but very few "GA" drawings and none of the "click for video" links work.
>
> There isn't a lid, there's a front.
>
> Remove anything from the front USB ports. Unscrew the thumbscrew at the top
> rear. Open the front door. Facing the front of the unit, grab the top with
> your hand and pull it towards you, pushing back against the internal drive
> cage with your other hand. The front should slide towards you about a
> centimetre and then unlatch. It may be stiff the first time.
>
> Once that piece is out it's possible to unhitch the door, although there's
> not usually a need for that.
>
> The optical bay has a plastic bay cover as part of the lid/front that can
> be removed, and then a metal piece which is spot welded in - you need to
> twist it to break the welds and allow it to be removed.
>
> Theo

Sorted thanks to Andy, but thanks anyway. It only covers the optical bay
so it is more of a "top" than a "front". Mildly irritating that they
can't print the basic model code on the two stickers that carry the SN
and Model ID.