From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: SSD Temperatures
Date: 27 Apr 2022 11:03:28 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:03 UTC

My main desktop machine has an Icy Box caddy fitted with 4 x SSDs. The
caddy fits into the space of a DVD slot so very useful.

I have finally got round to removing the very small fans because of noise.
Only been running for a couple of hours but temps are 22 degrees for all 4
drives, with fans fitted it was 20/21.

Seems to me this is well within limits. Is anybody aware of a monitoring
software that would keep a record of temps every 30 minutes or so?

Many thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his

Re: SSD Temperatures

<jcsnakF8627U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2143&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2143

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: SSD Temperatures
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:21:55 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:21 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Icy Box caddy fitted with 4 x SSDs. The caddy fits into the space of a DVD slot
> so very useful.
>
> I have finally got round to removing the very small fans because of noise.

SSDs supposedly don't like to be actively cooled anyway, they like a certain
amount of heat to ensure written data is durable.

Re: SSD Temperatures

<RJg*rQKMy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2144&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2144

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 27 Apr 2022 12:34:31 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:34 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> My main desktop machine has an Icy Box caddy fitted with 4 x SSDs. The
> caddy fits into the space of a DVD slot so very useful.
>
> I have finally got round to removing the very small fans because of noise.
> Only been running for a couple of hours but temps are 22 degrees for all 4
> drives, with fans fitted it was 20/21.
>
> Seems to me this is well within limits. Is anybody aware of a monitoring
> software that would keep a record of temps every 30 minutes or so?

Unlike HDDs, SSDs burn most of their power when actively doing reads and
writes. So unless you're thrashing them doing a RAID rebuild or something
they aren't taking much power. You can look up the specs of the SSDs which
will tell you their operating temperature range. In general SATA SSDs are
low enough density (watts per cm3) that active cooling isn't needed - the
metal drive chassis is a good enough heatsink.

The SMART data should tell you the drive temperatures - I don't do Windows
but there should be tools to plot that information.

Theo

Re: SSD Temperatures

<MPG.3cd3685f13ef4d409899e3@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2145&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2145

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:49:39 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 14:49 UTC

In article <RJg*rQKMy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo wrote...

> Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > My main desktop machine has an Icy Box caddy fitted with 4 x SSDs. The
> > caddy fits into the space of a DVD slot so very useful.
> >
> > I have finally got round to removing the very small fans because of noise.
> > Only been running for a couple of hours but temps are 22 degrees for all 4
> > drives, with fans fitted it was 20/21.
> >
> > Seems to me this is well within limits. Is anybody aware of a monitoring
> > software that would keep a record of temps every 30 minutes or so?
>
> Unlike HDDs, SSDs burn most of their power when actively doing reads and
> writes. So unless you're thrashing them doing a RAID rebuild or something
> they aren't taking much power. You can look up the specs of the SSDs which
> will tell you their operating temperature range. In general SATA SSDs are
> low enough density (watts per cm3) that active cooling isn't needed - the
> metal drive chassis is a good enough heatsink.
>
> The SMART data should tell you the drive temperatures - I don't do Windows
> but there should be tools to plot that information.
>
> Theo

HD Sentinel is the best SMART monitor that I've found. Not free, but pretty
good value, especially the five-license deal.

--

Phil, London

Re: SSD Temperatures

<xn0nh5ejc1blpr9005@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2146&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2146

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 Apr 2022 07:46:50 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:46 UTC

On 27/04/2022 in message <xn0nh457x36qk3000@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>Seems to me this is well within limits. Is anybody aware of a monitoring
>software that would keep a record of temps every 30 minutes or so?

Many thanks for the replies :-)

I ran AS SSD benchmark and it pushed the temp of the SSD I was testing to
30 but it dropped back to 25 after the test.

I left HW INFO on overnight and the temps were 25-30 for the drive I
tested, 25-26 for the others, the overnight backup doesn't seem to have
caused an issue.

The NVMe that the Z170K boots from shows 30 to 34 but the second NVMe
which is on a PCIe card doesn't show up in HW INFO or in Crystal Diskinfo
although it does in AS SSD benchmark, perhaps being in a card hides the
sensor?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that

Re: SSD Temperatures

<RJg*RrPMy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2147&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2147

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 Apr 2022 09:34:55 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:34 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> The NVMe that the Z170K boots from shows 30 to 34 but the second NVMe
> which is on a PCIe card doesn't show up in HW INFO or in Crystal Diskinfo
> although it does in AS SSD benchmark, perhaps being in a card hides the
> sensor?

There should be no difference[*] between an M.2 stick being plugged in
direct, and via an adapter. But it may just be that that stick doesn't
offer the temperature via SMART.

Anyway, if you aren't reading temps in the 70+C range there's not a lot to
worry about.

Theo

[*] Technically, M.2 and PCIe cards have SMBUS pins where I2C temperature
sensing chips can be connected. Some motherboards can read these, others
can't - but eg servers use them for chassis temperature management.

I suppose it is possible that your adapter doesn't wire these through, which
would show a difference compared with being in an M.2 slot. Although in
general there is not a standard way to find out which sensor relates to
which drive (only the BIOS or BMC knows), so I would be surprised if tools
like CrystalDiskInfo will show these sensors.