If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / De'ath

SubjectAuthor
* De'athTone
+* De'athTease'n'Seize
|`- De'athBrian Gaff
+- De'athAhem A Rivet's Shot
+* De'athBob Henson
|+* De'athKerr-Mudd, John
||`* De'athSn!pe
|| +- De'athKerr-Mudd, John
|| `* De'athAhem A Rivet's Shot
||  `* De'athSn!pe
||   `* De'athAhem A Rivet's Shot
||    `- De'athBob Henson
|+- De'athNicholas D. Richards
|`* De'athBrian Gaff
| +- De'athchrisnd@privacy.net
| `* De'athBob Henson
|  +- De'athNicholas D. Richards
|  `* De'athJim The Geordie
|   +- De'athDon Stockbauer
|   `- De'athBob Henson
+* De'athSam Plusnet
|`* De'athNicholas D. Richards
| `* De'athBob Henson
|  +- De'athTone
|  +* De'athTease'n'Seize
|  |`* De'athBob Henson
|  | `* De'athBrian Gaff
|  |  +* De'athAhem A Rivet's Shot
|  |  |`* De'athRustyHinge
|  |  | `- De'athNicholas D. Richards
|  |  `- De'athgreymaus
|  +* De'athMike Spencer
|  |+- De'athgreymaus
|  |`- De'athAhem A Rivet's Shot
|  `* De'athNicholas D. Richards
|   `* De'athBob Henson
|    `* De'athPeter
|     +* De'athBob Henson
|     |+- De'athPeter
|     |+- De'athAhem A Rivet's Shot
|     |`- De'athRichard Robinson
|     `- De'athRichard Robinson
`* De'athBrian Gaff
 +* De'athAhem A Rivet's Shot
 |+- De'athRustyHinge
 |+- De'athBob Henson
 |`- De'athgreymaus
 `* De'athBob Henson
  +* De'athNicholas D. Richards
  |`* De'athBob Henson
  | `* De'athAdrian
  |  `* De'athNicholas D. Richards
  |   `- De'athBob Henson
  `* De'athgreymaus
   `* De'athAhem A Rivet's Shot
    `* De'athNicholas D. Richards
     `- De'athAhem A Rivet's Shot

Pages:123
De'ath

<u2tgft$18s5v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21490&group=uk.rec.sheds#21490

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: De'ath
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 12:27:57 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 3 May 2023 11:27 UTC

We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death, but, to his
annoyance, they spelt and pronounced it De'ath.

I thought 'Death' was so much more impressive in his job.

But, here I am in my 82nd year and counting. But I've lost count of the
number of friends, workmates, admired musicians and singers that I have
lost on almost a weekly basis over the last few years.

I do wonder why we mourn. Shirley death is as natural as birth and life.
Shouldn't we just celebrate the life?

I was glad when my mother went at 102. She wanted to go. Because she
left her body to medical science, and they accepted it, there has been
no funeral. And that is exactly why she did it.

We will eventually get an urn. Could be months, even years away.

But already we have decided to sprinkle her ashes from a glider* over
Dunstable Downs, her favourite place, whilst we have a family picnic in
her memory.

I have an image of my Mum on my computer screen, laughing at me.

That is so encouraging as I get older.

*My youngest brother is still a member of Dunstable Gliding Club, even
though he crashed one of their gliders.

Tone

Re: De'ath

<OOGdnevejbIR2s_5nZ2dnZfqn_Rh4p2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21491&group=uk.rec.sheds#21491

Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 12:37:49 +0100
Subject: Re: De'ath
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Wed, 3 May 2023 11:37 UTC

Tone wrote:

> We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death

I xabj someone with the same surname,
but he pronounces it as a long "ee"

Re: De'ath

<20230503131630.31cb1876c4bac8850c74482f@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21492&group=uk.rec.sheds#21492

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 13:16:30 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 3 May 2023 12:16 UTC

On Wed, 3 May 2023 12:27:57 +0100
Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death, but, to his
> annoyance, they spelt and pronounced it De'ath.

One of my lecturers at college was Doctor De'ath - I wondered if it
would have been possible for him to fail his PhD. He was touchy about
pronunciation - duh arth it was.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: De'ath

<kbf2frF3onkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21493&group=uk.rec.sheds#21493

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 13:30:53 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Wed, 3 May 2023 12:30 UTC

On 3.5.23 12:27 pm, Tone wrote:
> We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death, but, to his
> annoyance, they spelt and pronounced it De'ath.

They may have been more correct in their pronunciation - one source was
from a town called Ath in Flanders - hence De Ath. There must be a lot
in the killing business - we had a Major De'Ath used to come into the shop.

> I thought 'Death' was so much more impressive in his job.
>
> But, here I am in my 82nd year and counting. But I've lost count of the
> number of friends, workmates, admired musicians and singers that I have
> lost on almost a weekly basis over the last few years.
>
> I do wonder why we mourn. Shirley death is as natural as birth and life.
> Shouldn't we just celebrate the life?
>
> I was glad when my mother went at 102. She wanted to go. Because she
> left her body to medical science, and they accepted it, there has been
> no funeral. And that is exactly why she did it.
>
> We will eventually get an urn. Could be months, even years away.
>
> But already we have decided to sprinkle her ashes from a glider* over
> Dunstable Downs, her favourite place, whilst we have a family picnic in
> her memory.

Just remember to check the wind direction. My oldest friend had his
ashes scattered into the sea from a favourite beach in Wales. The day
was hysterical from beginning (half of us turned up at the wrong but
identically named hotel ) to end. One party then headed north towards
the Black Mountains instead of south to the sea (how can anyone drive
uphill to the sea unless they are in The Netherlands?) Several phone
calls decided which of the car parks the various branches of his family
and friends were assembled in was indeed the one where they should have
been assembled.

Failure to check wind direction and strength (no-one ever listens to me
:-) ) resulted in most of my old chum proceeding down the beach by air
rather than away from it by water whence, a tad belatedly, he made new
friends with a family who were expecting more sea-spray and fresh air
than powdered chum.

If others were right and the old superstitions about after-lives etc.
were correct he would have been looking down on it and having hysterics
- we spent most of our friendship convulsed with laughter so it was all
totally appropriate. We have a small pet rock from the beach on the
windowsill to remind us of the day.

--
Bob,
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Re: De'ath

<20230503173433.1bcea1d565bebc21d6d07ffd@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21494&group=uk.rec.sheds#21494

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 17:34:33 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 3 May 2023 16:34 UTC

On Wed, 3 May 2023 13:30:53 +0100
Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:

> On 3.5.23 12:27 pm, Tone wrote:
> > We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death, but, to his
> > annoyance, they spelt and pronounced it De'ath.
>
> They may have been more correct in their pronunciation - one source was
> from a town called Ath in Flanders - hence De Ath. There must be a lot
> in the killing business - we had a Major De'Ath used to come into the shop.
>

> > I thought 'Death' was so much more impressive in his job.
> >
> > But, here I am in my 82nd year and counting. But I've lost count of the
> > number of friends, workmates, admired musicians and singers that I have
> > lost on almost a weekly basis over the last few years.
> >
> > I do wonder why we mourn. Shirley death is as natural as birth and life.
> > Shouldn't we just celebrate the life?
> >
> > I was glad when my mother went at 102. She wanted to go. Because she
> > left her body to medical science, and they accepted it, there has been
> > no funeral. And that is exactly why she did it.
> >
> > We will eventually get an urn. Could be months, even years away.
> >
> > But already we have decided to sprinkle her ashes from a glider* over
> > Dunstable Downs, her favourite place, whilst we have a family picnic in
> > her memory.
>
> Just remember to check the wind direction. My oldest friend had his
> ashes scattered into the sea from a favourite beach in Wales. The day
> was hysterical from beginning (half of us turned up at the wrong but
> identically named hotel ) to end. One party then headed north towards
> the Black Mountains instead of south to the sea (how can anyone drive
> uphill to the sea unless they are in The Netherlands?) Several phone
> calls decided which of the car parks the various branches of his family
> and friends were assembled in was indeed the one where they should have
> been assembled.
>
> Failure to check wind direction and strength (no-one ever listens to me
> :-) ) resulted in most of my old chum proceeding down the beach by air
> rather than away from it by water whence, a tad belatedly, he made new
> friends with a family who were expecting more sea-spray and fresh air
> than powdered chum.
>
> If others were right and the old superstitions about after-lives etc.
> were correct he would have been looking down on it and having hysterics
> - we spent most of our friendship convulsed with laughter so it was all
> totally appropriate. We have a small pet rock from the beach on the
> windowsill to remind us of the day.

IAWTP, More happy funerals required.

sig unsipped.
> --
> Bob,
> Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK
>
> Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Well the trousers give a clue, in my case.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: De'ath

<1qa65es.1mgi7knrmig4dN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21495&group=uk.rec.sheds#21495

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 19:14:59 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 3 May 2023 18:14 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

[...]

> sig unsipped.
> > --
> > Bob,
> > Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK
> >
> > Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.
> >
> Well the trousers give a clue, in my case.

I assume that you meant "sig unzipped", nessy par?

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

<https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

Re: De'ath

<20230503192920.08cf59bd78a060b6b380205d@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21496&group=uk.rec.sheds#21496

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 19:29:20 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 3 May 2023 18:29 UTC

On Wed, 3 May 2023 19:14:59 +0100
snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > sig unsipped.
> > > --
> > > Bob,
> > > Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK
> > >
> > > Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.
> > >
> > Well the trousers give a clue, in my case.
>
> I assume that you meant "sig unzipped", nessy par?

Sorry, it must've just slipped out.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: De'ath

<20230503193738.879a64d0d2c07d0eaf6ae373@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21497&group=uk.rec.sheds#21497

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 19:37:38 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 3 May 2023 18:37 UTC

On Wed, 3 May 2023 19:14:59 +0100
snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > sig unsipped.
> > > --
> > > Bob,
> > > Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK
> > >
> > > Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.
> > >
> > Well the trousers give a clue, in my case.
>
> I assume that you meant "sig unzipped", nessy par?

Nice out, isn't it ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: De'ath

<1qa68os.booeps1luw6yuN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21498&group=uk.rec.sheds#21498

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 20:26:10 +0100
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 3 May 2023 19:26 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 May 2023 19:14:59 +0100
> snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
> > Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > sig unsipped.

> > > Well the trousers give a clue, in my case.
> >
> > I assume that you meant "sig unzipped", nessy par?
>
> Nice out, isn't it ?

Yes, but put it away, there's a policeman coming.
-- E Morecambe, ~1962

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

<https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

Re: De'ath

<Ecz4M.3110950$%ng4.1407646@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21499&group=uk.rec.sheds#21499

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 21:10:11 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 3 May 2023 20:10 UTC

On 03-May-23 12:27, Tone wrote:
> We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death, but, to his
> annoyance, they spelt and pronounced it De'ath.
>
> I thought 'Death' was so much more impressive in his job.
>
> But, here I am in my 82nd year and counting. But I've lost count of the
> number of friends, workmates, admired musicians and singers that I have
> lost on almost a weekly basis over the last few years.
>
> I do wonder why we mourn. Shirley death is as natural as birth and life.
> Shouldn't we just celebrate the life?
>
> I was glad when my mother went at 102. She wanted to go. Because she
> left her body to medical science, and they accepted it, there has been
> no funeral. And that is exactly why she did it.

There are a few firms out there who will collect the body, cremate it, &
return the ashes to <nominated person> for those who don't want to do a
funeral.

SWMBO & I are fully paid up members.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: De'ath

<20230503210639.6ef30a95baeddedb6b623428@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21500&group=uk.rec.sheds#21500

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 21:06:39 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 3 May 2023 20:06 UTC

On Wed, 3 May 2023 20:26:10 +0100
snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>
> > Nice out, isn't it ?
>
> Yes, but put it away, there's a policeman coming.
> -- E Morecambe, ~1962

My faith in Ye Shedde is justified.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: De'ath

<91gQFYA1+tUkFAvp@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21501&group=uk.rec.sheds#21501

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 23:27:01 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 3 May 2023 22:27 UTC

In article <kbf2frF3onkU1@mid.individual.net>, Bob Henson
<bob.henson@outlook.com> on Wed, 3 May 2023 at 13:30:53 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>On 3.5.23 12:27 pm, Tone wrote:
>> We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death, but, to his
>> annoyance, they spelt and pronounced it De'ath.
>
>They may have been more correct in their pronunciation - one source was
>from a town called Ath in Flanders - hence De Ath. There must be a lot
>in the killing business - we had a Major De'Ath used to come into the shop.

At HMS Centurion we had a Secretary or maybe Clerical Officer, I cannot
remember which now, who also was a De'Ath. Woe betide someone who called
her Death. In the same establishment we had a RM Captain, whose name
was, if I remember rightly, Diable. He pronounced it Die'ble.

>> I thought 'Death' was so much more impressive in his job.
>>
>> But, here I am in my 82nd year and counting. But I've lost count of the
>> number of friends, workmates, admired musicians and singers that I have
>> lost on almost a weekly basis over the last few years.
>>
>> I do wonder why we mourn. Shirley death is as natural as birth and life.
>> Shouldn't we just celebrate the life?
>>
>> I was glad when my mother went at 102. She wanted to go. Because she
>> left her body to medical science, and they accepted it, there has been
>> no funeral. And that is exactly why she did it.
>>
>> We will eventually get an urn. Could be months, even years away.
>>
>> But already we have decided to sprinkle her ashes from a glider* over
>> Dunstable Downs, her favourite place, whilst we have a family picnic in
>> her memory.
>
>Just remember to check the wind direction. My oldest friend had his
>ashes scattered into the sea from a favourite beach in Wales. The day
>was hysterical from beginning (half of us turned up at the wrong but
>identically named hotel ) to end. One party then headed north towards
>the Black Mountains instead of south to the sea (how can anyone drive
>uphill to the sea unless they are in The Netherlands?) Several phone
>calls decided which of the car parks the various branches of his family
>and friends were assembled in was indeed the one where they should have
>been assembled.
>
>Failure to check wind direction and strength (no-one ever listens to me
>:-) ) resulted in most of my old chum proceeding down the beach by air
>rather than away from it by water whence, a tad belatedly, he made new
>friends with a family who were expecting more sea-spray and fresh air
>than powdered chum.
>
>If others were right and the old superstitions about after-lives etc.
>were correct he would have been looking down on it and having hysterics
>- we spent most of our friendship convulsed with laughter so it was all
>totally appropriate. We have a small pet rock from the beach on the
>windowsill to remind us of the day.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: De'ath

<P2IsFmAVDuUkFA4v@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21502&group=uk.rec.sheds#21502

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 23:31:49 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 3 May 2023 22:31 UTC

In article <Ecz4M.3110950$%ng4.1407646@fx09.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<not@home.com> on Wed, 3 May 2023 at 21:10:11 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 03-May-23 12:27, Tone wrote:
>> We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death, but, to his
>> annoyance, they spelt and pronounced it De'ath.
>>
>> I thought 'Death' was so much more impressive in his job.
>>
>> But, here I am in my 82nd year and counting. But I've lost count of the
>> number of friends, workmates, admired musicians and singers that I have
>> lost on almost a weekly basis over the last few years.
>>
>> I do wonder why we mourn. Shirley death is as natural as birth and life.
>> Shouldn't we just celebrate the life?
>>
>> I was glad when my mother went at 102. She wanted to go. Because she
>> left her body to medical science, and they accepted it, there has been
>> no funeral. And that is exactly why she did it.
>
>There are a few firms out there who will collect the body, cremate it, &
>return the ashes to <nominated person> for those who don't want to do a
>funeral.
>
>SWMBO & I are fully paid up members.

My mother specified a funeral and cremation, but not what to do with the
ashes. Eight years later they are still on my brother's mantelpiece
(well metaphorically speaking) because we do not know what to do with
them. If she had specified a burial, problem sorted in a short time.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: De'ath

<kbh6scFdsgaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21503&group=uk.rec.sheds#21503

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 08:58:05 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Thu, 4 May 2023 07:58 UTC

I'd have been so disappointed if no-one had said that :-)

--
Bob,
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Re: De'ath

<kbh79oFdsgaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21504&group=uk.rec.sheds#21504

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 09:05:13 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Thu, 4 May 2023 08:05 UTC

On 3.5.23 11:31 pm, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <Ecz4M.3110950$%ng4.1407646@fx09.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
> <not@home.com> on Wed, 3 May 2023 at 21:10:11 awoke Nicholas from his
> slumbers and wrote
>>On 03-May-23 12:27, Tone wrote:
>>> We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death, but, to his
>>> annoyance, they spelt and pronounced it De'ath.
>>>
>>> I thought 'Death' was so much more impressive in his job.
>>>
>>> But, here I am in my 82nd year and counting. But I've lost count of the
>>> number of friends, workmates, admired musicians and singers that I have
>>> lost on almost a weekly basis over the last few years.
>>>
>>> I do wonder why we mourn. Shirley death is as natural as birth and life.
>>> Shouldn't we just celebrate the life?
>>>
>>> I was glad when my mother went at 102. She wanted to go. Because she
>>> left her body to medical science, and they accepted it, there has been
>>> no funeral. And that is exactly why she did it.
>>
>>There are a few firms out there who will collect the body, cremate it, &
>>return the ashes to <nominated person> for those who don't want to do a
>>funeral.
>>
>>SWMBO & I are fully paid up members.
>>
> My mother specified a funeral and cremation, but not what to do with the
> ashes. Eight years later they are still on my brother's mantelpiece
> (well metaphorically speaking) because we do not know what to do with
> them. If she had specified a burial, problem sorted in a short time.

Better still would be recycling. I would be delighted if, when the day
arrives, I could be put out with no ceremony whatever for the bin-men in
a recyclable black bag and eventually used for landfill. Sadly, I doubt
we will have reached such a state of enlightenment before that (probably
not far off) day.

--
Bob,
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Re: De'ath

<u2vp7m$1oin5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21505&group=uk.rec.sheds#21505

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 09:09:26 +0100
 by: Tone - Thu, 4 May 2023 08:09 UTC

On 04/05/2023 09:05, Bob Henson wrote:
> Better still would be recycling. I would be delighted if, when the day
> arrives, I could be put out with no ceremony whatever for the bin-men in
> a recyclable black bag and eventually used for landfill. Sadly, I doubt
> we will have reached such a state of enlightenment before that (probably
> not far off) day.
>
> --
> Bob,
> Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Rest assured Bob. Whatever they do with you, you will end up as landfill
somewhere. See you there.

Tone (81)

Re: De'ath

<raydneprnMh18s75nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21506&group=uk.rec.sheds#21506

Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 09:42:17 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Thu, 4 May 2023 08:42 UTC

Bob Henson wrote:

> I would be delighted if, when the day arrives, I could be put out with
> no ceremony whatever for the bin-men in a recyclable black bag

Recycling black plastics is difficult, the council would probably insist
on clear plastic instead ...

Re: De'ath

<kbhbu3Fes4lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21507&group=uk.rec.sheds#21507

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 10:24:19 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Thu, 4 May 2023 09:24 UTC

On 4.5.23 9:42 am, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Bob Henson wrote:
>
>> I would be delighted if, when the day arrives, I could be put out with
>> no ceremony whatever for the bin-men in a recyclable black bag
>
> Recycling black plastics is difficult, the council would probably insist
> on clear plastic instead ...

Well, I'll just have to make sure they set my ugly mug into a nice smile
before they bag me up so as not to scare the locals too much.

--
Bob,
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Re: De'ath

<u302hk$1q1hs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21508&group=uk.rec.sheds#21508

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 11:48:16 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 4 May 2023 10:48 UTC

Yes well, apparently direct cremation is very popular as well. There are a
lot of adverts on the telly though from people who arrange funerals and even
direct cremations.
Not sure about leaving to medical science. I cannot quite put my finger on
why I might not want to be used as practice flesh, but at least its cheap.
My current issue is who to grant enduring power of attorney to while I still
can, since as you say, most of those I might have trusted are either dead or
in a home already. No blood relatives around I know either.
Of course a professional would charge you, so its hard to judge when you
are past caring, who to trust. I have a catchall will though, so the best I
can hope for is to wake up dead one day.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
> We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death, but, to his
> annoyance, they spelt and pronounced it De'ath.
>
> I thought 'Death' was so much more impressive in his job.
>
> But, here I am in my 82nd year and counting. But I've lost count of the
> number of friends, workmates, admired musicians and singers that I have
> lost on almost a weekly basis over the last few years.
>
> I do wonder why we mourn. Shirley death is as natural as birth and life.
> Shouldn't we just celebrate the life?
>
> I was glad when my mother went at 102. She wanted to go. Because she left
> her body to medical science, and they accepted it, there has been no
> funeral. And that is exactly why she did it.
>
> We will eventually get an urn. Could be months, even years away.
>
> But already we have decided to sprinkle her ashes from a glider* over
> Dunstable Downs, her favourite place, whilst we have a family picnic in
> her memory.
>
> I have an image of my Mum on my computer screen, laughing at me.
>
> That is so encouraging as I get older.
>
> *My youngest brother is still a member of Dunstable Gliding Club, even
> though he crashed one of their gliders.
>
> Tone

Re: De'ath

<u302iu$1q1mi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21509&group=uk.rec.sheds#21509

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 11:48:58 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 4 May 2023 10:48 UTC

as in Eeee by gum?
Brian

--

--:
"Tease'n'Seize" <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in message
> Tone wrote:
>
>> We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death
>
> I xabj someone with the same surname,
> but he pronounces it as a long "ee"

Re: De'ath

<u302oc$1q2ea$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21510&group=uk.rec.sheds#21510

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 11:51:52 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 4 May 2023 10:51 UTC

If there is an afterlife, I'll leave everything to myself.
Brian

--

--:
"Bob Henson" <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote in message
> On 3.5.23 12:27 pm, Tone wrote:
>> We had a RN Master of Arms at Arbroath called Death, but, to his
>> annoyance, they spelt and pronounced it De'ath.
>
> They may have been more correct in their pronunciation - one source was
> from a town called Ath in Flanders - hence De Ath. There must be a lot in
> the killing business - we had a Major De'Ath used to come into the shop.
>

>> I thought 'Death' was so much more impressive in his job.
>>
>> But, here I am in my 82nd year and counting. But I've lost count of the
>> number of friends, workmates, admired musicians and singers that I have
>> lost on almost a weekly basis over the last few years.
>>
>> I do wonder why we mourn. Shirley death is as natural as birth and life.
>> Shouldn't we just celebrate the life?
>>
>> I was glad when my mother went at 102. She wanted to go. Because she
>> left her body to medical science, and they accepted it, there has been
>> no funeral. And that is exactly why she did it.
>>
>> We will eventually get an urn. Could be months, even years away.
>>
>> But already we have decided to sprinkle her ashes from a glider* over
>> Dunstable Downs, her favourite place, whilst we have a family picnic in
>> her memory.
>
> Just remember to check the wind direction. My oldest friend had his ashes
> scattered into the sea from a favourite beach in Wales. The day was
> hysterical from beginning (half of us turned up at the wrong but
> identically named hotel ) to end. One party then headed north towards the
> Black Mountains instead of south to the sea (how can anyone drive uphill
> to the sea unless they are in The Netherlands?) Several phone calls
> decided which of the car parks the various branches of his family and
> friends were assembled in was indeed the one where they should have been
> assembled.
>
> Failure to check wind direction and strength (no-one ever listens to me
> :-) ) resulted in most of my old chum proceeding down the beach by air
> rather than away from it by water whence, a tad belatedly, he made new
> friends with a family who were expecting more sea-spray and fresh air than
> powdered chum.
>
> If others were right and the old superstitions about after-lives etc. were
> correct he would have been looking down on it and having hysterics - we
> spent most of our friendship convulsed with laughter so it was all totally
> appropriate. We have a small pet rock from the beach on the windowsill to
> remind us of the day.
>
> --
> Bob,
> Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK
>
> Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Re: De'ath

<u302sc$1q30h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21511&group=uk.rec.sheds#21511

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 11:54:00 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 4 May 2023 10:54 UTC

I'm told those wood chippers can be very good at making compost of human
bodies. The ones on the back of trucks. Bone and blood is a valid gardening
substance .

Brian

--

--:
> On 4.5.23 9:42 am, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Bob Henson wrote:
>>
>>> I would be delighted if, when the day arrives, I could be put out with
>>> no ceremony whatever for the bin-men in a recyclable black bag
>>
>> Recycling black plastics is difficult, the council would probably insist
>> on clear plastic instead ...
>>

> Well, I'll just have to make sure they set my ugly mug into a nice smile
> before they bag me up so as not to scare the locals too much.
>
> --
> Bob,
> Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK
>
> Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Re: De'ath

<20230504123914.1581432914e9801f30100b9e@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21512&group=uk.rec.sheds#21512

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 12:39:14 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 4 May 2023 11:39 UTC

On Thu, 4 May 2023 11:54:00 +0100
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm told those wood chippers can be very good at making compost of human
> bodies. The ones on the back of trucks. Bone and blood is a valid
> gardening substance .

This featured in an episode of Bones, complete with a test where
they dumped a pig carcass into one to evaluate the results (or somesuch
excuse).

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: De'ath

<20230504124138.3082ec7584ca24f24f537d12@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21513&group=uk.rec.sheds#21513

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 12:41:38 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 4 May 2023 11:41 UTC

On Thu, 4 May 2023 11:48:16 +0100
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure about leaving to medical science. I cannot quite put my finger
> on why I might not want to be used as practice flesh, but at least its
> cheap.

The most common use for bodies left to medical science is to be
dissected by medical students - lunch with medical students requires a
strong stomach.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: De'ath

<u307t9$1qqcu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21514&group=uk.rec.sheds#21514

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 13:19:54 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 4 May 2023 12:19 UTC

On 04/05/2023 12:39, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2023 11:54:00 +0100
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm told those wood chippers can be very good at making compost of human
>> bodies. The ones on the back of trucks. Bone and blood is a valid
>> gardening substance .
>
> This featured in an episode of Bones, complete with a test where
> they dumped a pig carcass into one to evaluate the results (or somesuch
> excuse).

One of Damnsad Hussein's sons fed people he didn't like into bulk
shredders, but wasn't prepared to wait for them to die gracefully first.

--
Rusty Hinge