Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  newsreader  groups  login

Message-ID:  

The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.


aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Ask UMRA - relationship adviceBrritSki
+* Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship adviceJane Vernon
|`* Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advicePaul Herber
| `* Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship adviceJane Vernon
|  `* OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storageJ. P. Gilliver
|   +* Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storageSam Plusnet
|   |`- Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storageJ. P. Gilliver
|   +* Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storageChris J Dixon
|   |`* Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storageJ. P. Gilliver
|   | `- Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storageChris J Dixon
|   `* Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storagejohn ashby
|    +- Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storageJ. P. Gilliver
|    `- Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storageNick Odell
+* Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship adviceBen Blaney
|+* Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship adviceJ. P. Gilliver
||`- Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship adviceMike McMillan
|+- Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship adviceBrritSki
|`- Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship adviceNick Odell
`* Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advicejohn ashby
 `- Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship adviceBrritSki

1
OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

<l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21631&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21631

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:48:54 +0000
Lines: 7
Message-ID: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net iOkoaNguGdtKuFot7OqjRA81x82032Fx5KcxLTJK3CjR8cNyg=
Cancel-Lock: sha1:gPazlaNR/J0vGwuCFLTC42d7594= sha256:mrSaPC9fCTLVdGGJ2KuCDS++0asEQTm8wfHHxfQCQwM=
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Content-Language: en-US
 by: BrritSki - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:48 UTC

The waife has just advertised head on eBay for £20. Should I be worried ?

PS They were actually Head ski boots, but even so.

PPS Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell mine
and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt very
much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

<l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21632&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21632

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: spa...@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk (Jane Vernon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:23:11 +0000
Lines: 25
Message-ID: <l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net>
Reply-To: jane@clothandclay.co.uk
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net WCie60hvU+iKpWkSBG5c+wmlDWS9ltaVw8swPJhlAiHvxfJ8Fw
Cancel-Lock: sha1:tGau+t4mQci6RWP1JiiT4O5xMRg= sha256:AjDOR+UDvlYZ2SMs+9zIb02+hcNLJQ5PVqPdartGVE8=
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Content-Language: en-GB
In-Reply-To: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net>
 by: Jane Vernon - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:23 UTC

On 01/03/2024 08:48, BrritSki wrote:

>
> PPS  Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell mine
> and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt very
> much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.

Wait until you need the space or you find you would no longer be sad.
Has worked for me with lots of stuff in recent months. There are things
I just can't let go of but others which I find, to my surprise, no
longer matter.

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist
BTME

http://www.clothandclay.co.uk/umra/cookbook.htm - Umrats' recipes

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

<e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21641&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21641

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: pau...@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 14:43:41 +0000
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 29
Message-ID: <e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net>
Reply-To: paul@paulherber.co.uk
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="35236592548ad35aa4652f337405767d";
logging-data="1360835"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19412rKSMvcjzSNnyOd3BLASzboweaHZbo="
Cancel-Lock: sha1:JvalNWqJAny2s8BqYCkCJ5rhtfU=
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.652
 by: Paul Herber - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:43 UTC

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:23:11 +0000, Jane Vernon <spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> wrote:

>On 01/03/2024 08:48, BrritSki wrote:
>
>>
>> PPS  Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell mine
>> and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt very
>> much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.
>
>Wait until you need the space or you find you would no longer be sad.
>Has worked for me with lots of stuff in recent months. There are things
>I just can't let go of but others which I find, to my surprise, no
>longer matter.

I am finding exactly the same. We are planning on moving in the very near future and I am
finding it surprising easy to let stuff go.
I have an earworm: Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard - Let it go.

Q: Do I need 3 boxes of staples? How many paperclips do I need in stock? Do I need all my
CDs, DVDs and books?

A: No. None, Please don't ask.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

<l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21645&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21645

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: spa...@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk (Jane Vernon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:52:46 +0000
Lines: 55
Message-ID: <l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net>
<l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net>
<e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org>
Reply-To: jane@clothandclay.co.uk
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net BmQeq8GgbhBTMk+eRbIfnwSz0K4/+9hXmQ5Mg9Y48RNuvdWr0j
Cancel-Lock: sha1:4ACqY4pUT7FWHbf05EvVBGpprYE= sha256:a6mGlVEWJ37E1UClVY0kkf6oZaiFw4Z6ltFOzGYJubA=
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Content-Language: en-GB
In-Reply-To: <e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org>
 by: Jane Vernon - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:52 UTC

On 01/03/2024 14:43, Paul Herber wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:23:11 +0000, Jane Vernon <spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 01/03/2024 08:48, BrritSki wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> PPS  Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell mine
>>> and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt very
>>> much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.
>>
>> Wait until you need the space or you find you would no longer be sad.
>> Has worked for me with lots of stuff in recent months. There are things
>> I just can't let go of but others which I find, to my surprise, no
>> longer matter.
>
> I am finding exactly the same. We are planning on moving in the very near future and I am
> finding it surprising easy to let stuff go.
> I have an earworm: Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard - Let it go.
>
> Q: Do I need 3 boxes of staples? How many paperclips do I need in stock? Do I need all my
> CDs, DVDs and books?
>
> A: No. None, Please don't ask.
>
>
>
A. No, and I decided on that about a year ago.

B. None.

C. Yes, maybe not and no.
I still buy CDs because I like the sound they make through proper
player, amp and speakers.
I may get rid of some DVDs, which aren't many.
Books - definitely not, am weeding out like anything.

Do you (or anyone else) have a good solution to storing CDs? I have
them in CD racks with slots in for either one or three CDs then two to a
shelf. This is highly unsatisfactory as when I buy a new CD it needs
the whole lot to be taken out and re-ordered. Also many don't come in
regular plastic cases these days and they and box sets don't fit.

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist
BTME

http://www.clothandclay.co.uk/umra/cookbook.htm - Umrats' recipes

OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage

<2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21651&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21651

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.23.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 18:00:49 +0000
Message-ID: <2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:54:48 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net> <e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org> <l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net>
Organization: 255 software
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1;format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
User-Agent: Turnpike/6.07-M (<Dw5iwnNJ8$6Y1DJVGmP+Q9zDII>)
X-Antivirus: AVG (VPS 240301-4, 2024-3-1), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Lines: 104
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-2j9LlLtCYgt6v0OnAapGi3yCqNgqt7ZdM3wD1+Lrpfkck/Cd0brct4uwIOxf+ZXrgYfq3IEcHHvpYZt!2hpBpx4QVbfgFcnXh7vxDj2mSeclxQHmPj3IcSxPNvh9QJ+KeYAuIMUkPwpaKsiJOCAJHS+2
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:54 UTC

In message <l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 1 Mar 2024
16:52:46, Jane Vernon <spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> writes
>On 01/03/2024 14:43, Paul Herber wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:23:11 +0000, Jane Vernon
>><spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On 01/03/2024 08:48, BrritSki wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> PPS  Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell mine
>>>> and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt very
>>>> much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.

I thought going was their main purpose. (Sorry.)
>>>
>>> Wait until you need the space or you find you would no longer be sad.
>>> Has worked for me with lots of stuff in recent months. There are things
>>> I just can't let go of but others which I find, to my surprise, no
>>> longer matter.
>> I am finding exactly the same. We are planning on moving in the very
>>near future and I am
>> finding it surprising easy to let stuff go.

My impending case had a similar effect on me - to the extent that on one
of my trips to the recycling centre, I took so many computers and
monitors etc. that they asked me to fill in a form to say that they were
all from one domestic household (or whatever wording), not a business.

I made a lot of trips to the charity shop too - more (paperback) books
(mostly SF) than anything else. But the urge dried up: I've still got a
lot of stuff I am reluctant to get rid of. Not so much that I want
anything for it/them, just aware that they'll probably go to waste, and
I want them not to.

>> I have an earworm: Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard - Let it go.
>> Q: Do I need 3 boxes of staples? How many paperclips do I need in
>>stock? Do I need all my
>> CDs, DVDs and books?
>> A: No. None, Please don't ask.

I read - quite a few years ago now, but (obviously) in the CD era - that
over a certain age (of the person, not the CDs), anyone with a
reasonable size collection passes a point where they're not going to
hear all the ones they've got again. I'm sure that applies to my brother
and his partner - they have significant area of CDs, mostly classical;
it almost certainly applies to me too, though I have far fewer. A few
years ago (I think when I got my present car which has a player) I
decided to start listening to them there, but (a) the amount of driving
I do is now minimal (b) I tend to leave R4 on unless one of very few
prog.s come on.
>>
>A. No, and I decided on that about a year ago.
>
>B. None.
>
>C. Yes, maybe not and no.
>I still buy CDs because I like the sound they make through proper
>player, amp and speakers.

I do virtually all my listening these days (apart from the above in-car
CDs) through this laptop. Yes, proper kit gives better sound, but the
effort - however minimal - isn't zero. I tend only to turn the amp. and
speakers on once a year, for the second half of LNOTP.

>I may get rid of some DVDs, which aren't many.

Same here - 20-40, I think. But I really must watch first, at least the
ones I inveigled family into buying for me when we were still giving
presents! (I think it was a Christmas, though might have been a
significant birthday.)

>Books - definitely not, am weeding out like anything.
>
>Do you (or anyone else) have a good solution to storing CDs? I have
>them in CD racks with slots in for either one or three CDs then two to
>a shelf. This is highly unsatisfactory as when I buy a new CD it needs
>the whole lot to be taken out and re-ordered. Also many don't come in
>regular plastic cases these days and they and box sets don't fit.
>
When I _was_ buying CDs, apart from a _few_ where I had certain
categories that _did_ group, I tended to file them in order bought - no
use to _anyone_ else, but on the whole I usually _could_ find them. (Not
recommending that for anyone else, though.) Of course, now that it's
years since I _did_ buy one, I can no longer remember - and a couple of
moves have mostly mixed up the sequence anyway.

You could - it would mean a big shake-up initially - re-store yours with
gaps of one every two, or two every three, so that when a new one is
added, it could go into the gaps, or at worst - if you fill one
particular area - not _too_ many would need moving. Or are you still
buying them at a sufficient rate (or do they tend to be in one
particular part of your collection) that this wouldn't be practical?

Or, you could do something like I did, but giving each new one an index
number or similar, and keep a separate index. But _that_'s a lot of work
too, if you haven't already done it, as you need to go through all your
existing to add them to the index. (Various on-line databases might help
_in theory_.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The first objective of any tyrant in Whitehall would be to make Parliament
utterly subservient to his will; and the next to overturn or diminish trial by
jury ..." Lord Devlin (http://www.holbornchambers.co.uk)

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage

<NHpEN.308713$7uxe.259676@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21654&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21654

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!fx09.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and
CD storage
Content-Language: en-GB
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net>
<l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net>
<e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org>
<l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net> <2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk>
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
In-Reply-To: <2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 18
Message-ID: <NHpEN.308713$7uxe.259676@fx09.ams1>
X-Complaints-To: abuse(at)newshosting.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 19:07:25 UTC
Organization: Newshosting.com - Highest quality at a great price! www.newshosting.com
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 19:07:25 +0000
X-Received-Bytes: 1607
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 19:07 UTC

On 01-Mar-24 17:54, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
> I made a lot of trips to the charity shop too - more (paperback) books
> (mostly SF) than anything else. But the urge dried up: I've still got a
> lot of stuff I am reluctant to get rid of. Not so much that I want
> anything for it/them, just aware that they'll probably go to waste, and
> I want them not to.

I think charity shops are getting seriously overloaded with books.
There seem to be lots of people unloading x decades worth of accumulated
books but rather fewer willing customers to buy them even at charity
shop prices[1].

[1] Charity shops in tourist areas are really expensive.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage

<a4j4uileup2jkmla411iuugoi64arjp6jf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21655&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21655

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 22:12:31 +0000
Lines: 69
Message-ID: <a4j4uileup2jkmla411iuugoi64arjp6jf@4ax.com>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net> <e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org> <l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net> <2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Trace: individual.net 0J4170ZrutBACIhWsCJbIQERwpyhCfEJFsMRhCjINXFkYtg8id
Cancel-Lock: sha1:kVlpRL05zvN5mlagvZoM/K1nIeE= sha256:LK/vQRbz1z63eRDFJ7cZQ98gg8gpCuJi7gRkTs9kOEE=
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 4.2/32.1118
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 22:12 UTC

J. P. Gilliver wrote:

>In message <l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 1 Mar 2024
>16:52:46, Jane Vernon <spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> writes

>>Do you (or anyone else) have a good solution to storing CDs? I have
>>them in CD racks with slots in for either one or three CDs then two to
>>a shelf. This is highly unsatisfactory as when I buy a new CD it needs
>>the whole lot to be taken out and re-ordered. Also many don't come in
>>regular plastic cases these days and they and box sets don't fit.
>>
>When I _was_ buying CDs, apart from a _few_ where I had certain
>categories that _did_ group, I tended to file them in order bought - no
>use to _anyone_ else, but on the whole I usually _could_ find them. (Not
>recommending that for anyone else, though.) Of course, now that it's
>years since I _did_ buy one, I can no longer remember - and a couple of
>moves have mostly mixed up the sequence anyway.
>
>Or, you could do something like I did, but giving each new one an index
>number or similar, and keep a separate index. But _that_'s a lot of work
>too, if you haven't already done it, as you need to go through all your
>existing to add them to the index. (Various on-line databases might help
>_in theory_.)

I use MS Access databases, but that is probably because I enjoy
it. Over the years I have also ripped everything to MP3, and
disposed of the tapes. I allocate the numbers in the order they
arrive, the first digit being the CD/ LP/ Tape/ MP3
differentiator.

The LPs are now under the bed, and the CDs. whilst accessible in
a collection of IKEA BENNO towers, are seldom used directly. Our
bedside music comes from an Echo Show, via Plex, which can see
all the MP3s, so long as Alexa is not being obtuse.

Currently I have over 1,500 albums containing over 23,000 tracks.
I first caught up with the collection backlog one quite
Christmas, soon after getting my first PC in the mid 90s. I had
to use Works, which had no relational database capacity, but
structured the data so that as soon as I had something more
powerful (dBase) it all worked properly.

I have created output listings, which get copied over to Google
Drive, so if ever we are looking at CDs, we can check on our
phones for duplication.

Each time the old PVR filled with stuff, much of which was
recorded at the behest of the other 50% of the household, I had
to spend ages copying it off to DVD. At least the new HD PVR has
greater capacity, and I can't copy off the material, so decisions
have to be made as the free space counts down.

My DVD database has over 800 entries, about 160 are commercial,
the rest are home recordings, many of which I guess may never be
watched. Plenty of the commercial ones are still in their shrink
wrap.

The book collection is mostly not mine, but BOFE was able to use
a phone app to scan everything, and most of the stuff with bar
codes grabs all the data without you having to enter anything,
apart from where you are storing the item. Over 1400 so far, plus
a few hundred of mine.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
'48/33 M B+ G++ A L(-) I S-- CH0(--)(p) Ar- T+ H0 ?Q
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

<urtulg$1hfbt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21656&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21656

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: benbla...@gmail.invalid (Ben Blaney)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:16:32 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 11
Message-ID: <urtulg$1hfbt$1@dont-email.me>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=fixed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:16:32 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="d3a7c7f049d82bf30836ca0be4332b8a";
logging-data="1621373"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+fNu0+In3qD8+IXlGPnz/wLxaDMlQa58g="
User-Agent: Usenapp for MacOS
Cancel-Lock: sha1:AX03lUtdO8xyoVvOhYr7++ifFUo=
X-Usenapp: v1.27.2/l - Full License
 by: Ben Blaney - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:16 UTC

On Mar 1, 2024 at 3:48:54 AM EST, "BrritSki" <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com>
wrote:

> PPS Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell mine
> and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt very
> much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.

When I lived in Colorado, where of course many people are very keen skiers,
many people had skis and poles configured as "wall art", which I find rather
interesting. I would do something like that in our current house, but it's
very open-plan, and therefore doesn't have all that many walls.

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage

<7mhnymWs1n4lFw6O@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21657&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21657

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.22.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 01:20:01 +0000
Message-ID: <7mhnymWs1n4lFw6O@255soft.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:14:20 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net> <e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org> <l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net> <2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk> <NHpEN.308713$7uxe.259676@fx09.ams1>
Organization: 255 software
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=us-ascii;format=flowed
User-Agent: Turnpike/6.07-M (<ru5iwfFF8$aMdBJVnOD+QdJCFK>)
X-Antivirus: AVG (VPS 240301-4, 2024-3-1), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Lines: 24
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-ZKakYwSpSvJ/DkX5aFppIpoH4UqHz4UtXXD/A6W3pMjhRk4lxOSZiXpwNoskPI1lF19v1YBLxr4fbo7!5zj0OKjo20lc2IQSGTU5SVfPDTnmGpB1BWP0y+gaod6OiRDuqONF7ycKEp/XcpZcgE02Y2wU
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:14 UTC

In message <NHpEN.308713$7uxe.259676@fx09.ams1> at Fri, 1 Mar 2024
19:07:25, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes
>On 01-Mar-24 17:54, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> I made a lot of trips to the charity shop too - more (paperback)
>>books (mostly SF) than anything else. But the urge dried up: I've
>>still got a lot of stuff I am reluctant to get rid of. Not so much
>>that I want anything for it/them, just aware that they'll probably go
>>to waste, and I want them not to.
>
>I think charity shops are getting seriously overloaded with books.
>There seem to be lots of people unloading x decades worth of
>accumulated books but rather fewer willing customers to buy them even
>at charity shop prices[1].

Mine were mostly SF, and "the Cancer shop" as Mum called it when she
volunteered there were pleased to take them. I've no idea what they sold
them for.
>
>[1] Charity shops in tourist areas are really expensive.
>
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

I hope you dream a pig.

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

<vmgiiaXo+n4lFwYN@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21659&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21659

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!border-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 01:30:04 +0000
Message-ID: <vmgiiaXo+n4lFwYN@255soft.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:23:52 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <urtulg$1hfbt$1@dont-email.me>
Organization: 255 software
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=us-ascii;format=flowed
User-Agent: Turnpike/6.07-M (<$6yiwPgx8$KaeAJVqaF+QNYvXP>)
X-Antivirus: AVG (VPS 240301-4, 2024-3-1), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Lines: 19
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-Kz49ZiLXK0hilYu+oQ3/fExoeUaZBS1xJIMH6BG4gESHh+Il4lmjvbG3R+ronYtPMFU4RNUubT7Brj9!lpp9euh3kxKbYN4RCcnvqfQJ9g3hyVUBpVb8xzzQOt7NV3QdtRD3vZr7Oorsh5Qmvsf3ePC6
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:23 UTC

In message <urtulg$1hfbt$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:16:32,
Ben Blaney <benblaney@gmail.invalid> writes
>On Mar 1, 2024 at 3:48:54 AM EST, "BrritSki" <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> PPS Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell mine
>> and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt very
>> much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.
>
>When I lived in Colorado, where of course many people are very keen skiers,
>many people had skis and poles configured as "wall art", which I find rather
>interesting. I would do something like that in our current house, but it's
>very open-plan, and therefore doesn't have all that many walls.

You could dangle them.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

I hope you dream a pig.

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage

<qW2jODXz9n4lFw7D@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21660&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21660

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.23.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 01:30:02 +0000
Message-ID: <qW2jODXz9n4lFw7D@255soft.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:22:59 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net> <e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org> <l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net> <2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk> <a4j4uileup2jkmla411iuugoi64arjp6jf@4ax.com>
Organization: 255 software
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=us-ascii;format=flowed
User-Agent: Turnpike/6.07-M (<Xi5iwvMd8$6I8CJVjiP+Qt6CsN>)
X-Antivirus: AVG (VPS 240301-4, 2024-3-1), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Lines: 91
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-kWOoYkOjcEbuCvz+fAYZ2tWgBUxFnWuE8m+qeY9GGfAHkrB+W3KcPHg7X4dnQGiPO+doWwAE6TsEMDm!E04lwVceTx+7bmqrrOc9cV71W9I+CignV22/i6IS9VPcJFUvLcmLapAgnnz6ACe+kLpI0i2b
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:22 UTC

In message <a4j4uileup2jkmla411iuugoi64arjp6jf@4ax.com> at Fri, 1 Mar
2024 22:12:31, Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> writes
>J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>>In message <l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 1 Mar 2024
>>16:52:46, Jane Vernon <spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> writes
>
>>>Do you (or anyone else) have a good solution to storing CDs? I have
>>>them in CD racks with slots in for either one or three CDs then two to
>>>a shelf. This is highly unsatisfactory as when I buy a new CD it needs
>>>the whole lot to be taken out and re-ordered. Also many don't come in
>>>regular plastic cases these days and they and box sets don't fit.
>>>
>>When I _was_ buying CDs, apart from a _few_ where I had certain
>>categories that _did_ group, I tended to file them in order bought - no
>>use to _anyone_ else, but on the whole I usually _could_ find them. (Not
>>recommending that for anyone else, though.) Of course, now that it's
>>years since I _did_ buy one, I can no longer remember - and a couple of
>>moves have mostly mixed up the sequence anyway.
>>
>>Or, you could do something like I did, but giving each new one an index
>>number or similar, and keep a separate index. But _that_'s a lot of work
>>too, if you haven't already done it, as you need to go through all your
>>existing to add them to the index. (Various on-line databases might help
>>_in theory_.)
>
>I use MS Access databases, but that is probably because I enjoy
>it. Over the years I have also ripped everything to MP3, and
>disposed of the tapes. I allocate the numbers in the order they
>arrive, the first digit being the CD/ LP/ Tape/ MP3
>differentiator.
>
>The LPs are now under the bed, and the CDs. whilst accessible in
>a collection of IKEA BENNO towers, are seldom used directly. Our
>bedside music comes from an Echo Show, via Plex, which can see
>all the MP3s, so long as Alexa is not being obtuse.

Yes, I think most modern-ish people have copied their music to hard
drive in something, either one of those expensive devices advertised in
the Radio Times and similar (though not recently), or a more ad-hoc
solution. I added the "-ish" because I have the feeling a worrying
proportion have all their music _only_ online.
>
>Currently I have over 1,500 albums containing over 23,000 tracks.
>I first caught up with the collection backlog one quite
>Christmas, soon after getting my first PC in the mid 90s. I had
>to use Works, which had no relational database capacity, but
>structured the data so that as soon as I had something more
>powerful (dBase) it all worked properly.
>
>I have created output listings, which get copied over to Google
>Drive, so if ever we are looking at CDs, we can check on our
>phones for duplication.

Handy! Yes, I have occasionally bought a CD only to find I already had
it (usually, to be fair to myself, with a different cover picture). For
the artists I like, there's also the point that they (or their record
companies) keep re-issuing tracks on assorted new compilations, where
I've probably got all the tracks (or, worse in some ways, got all but
one or two).
>
>Each time the old PVR filled with stuff, much of which was
>recorded at the behest of the other 50% of the household, I had
>to spend ages copying it off to DVD. At least the new HD PVR has
>greater capacity, and I can't copy off the material, so decisions
>have to be made as the free space counts down.

And how likely are you to ever watch most of those DVDs. (A _lot_ of
what I have - mostly on this HD - I know I'll never watch, but like
knowing I've got!)
>
>My DVD database has over 800 entries, about 160 are commercial,
>the rest are home recordings, many of which I guess may never be
>watched. Plenty of the commercial ones are still in their shrink
>wrap.

(-:
>
>The book collection is mostly not mine, but BOFE was able to use
>a phone app to scan everything, and most of the stuff with bar
>codes grabs all the data without you having to enter anything,
>apart from where you are storing the item. Over 1400 so far, plus
>a few hundred of mine.
>
>Chris

You are _very_ organised.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

I hope you dream a pig.

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

<uruqok$1q44q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21662&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21662

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:16:04 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 21
Message-ID: <uruqok$1q44q$1@dont-email.me>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net>
<urtulg$1hfbt$1@dont-email.me>
<vmgiiaXo+n4lFwYN@255soft.uk>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:16:04 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="05e85f192d6d57283966529365f13c54";
logging-data="1904794"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX180eGUK/i34AeTHzwiDUSjC"
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:nVTNli80Vgp6UNdPTBllbDah+QI=
sha1:T03YAOnVQXH0ebBp0G7hVJjz7q0=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:16 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <urtulg$1hfbt$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:16:32,
> Ben Blaney <benblaney@gmail.invalid> writes
>> On Mar 1, 2024 at 3:48:54 AM EST, "BrritSki" <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> PPS Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell mine
>>> and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt very
>>> much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.
>>
>> When I lived in Colorado, where of course many people are very keen skiers,
>> many people had skis and poles configured as "wall art", which I find rather
>> interesting. I would do something like that in our current house, but it's
>> very open-plan, and therefore doesn't have all that many walls.
>
> You could dangle them.

He ‘snowear to put them!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage

<urutpl$1qin0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21664&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21664

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (john ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and
CD storage
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:07:49 +0000
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 15
Message-ID: <urutpl$1qin0$1@dont-email.me>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net>
<l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net>
<e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org>
<l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net> <2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:07:49 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="ac8973c7b8cb120e18742d515258efb1";
logging-data="1919712"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18GXvuSqPMChHzkJ+KEM9WC"
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Cancel-Lock: sha1:xMqY+bctHpGumQwSaCpkMO4UCTM=
In-Reply-To: <2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk>
Content-Language: en-US
 by: john ashby - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:07 UTC

On 01/03/2024 17:54, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
[snip]
>
> I do virtually all my listening these days (apart from the above in-car
> CDs) through this laptop. Yes, proper kit gives better sound, but the
> effort - however minimal - isn't zero. I tend only to turn the amp. and
> speakers on once a year, for the second half of LNOTP.

I invested in a modest bluetooth speaker to deal with the poor laptop
sound problem. Said speaker has just thrown itself off the bedside
table, possibly as a comment on my singing (I was trying to learn some
music for a workshop this afternoon).

john

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

<urutuv$1qin0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21665&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21665

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (john ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:10:39 +0000
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 13
Message-ID: <urutuv$1qin0$2@dont-email.me>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:10:40 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="ac8973c7b8cb120e18742d515258efb1";
logging-data="1919712"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18h0C63A+YlAhmgpLs45xK3"
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Cancel-Lock: sha1:BQl2GI3STa0tI6aW0r/AmFaweF8=
In-Reply-To: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net>
Content-Language: en-US
 by: john ashby - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:10 UTC

On 01/03/2024 08:48, BrritSki wrote:
> The waife has just advertised head on eBay for £20. Should I be worried ?
>
> PS  They were actually Head ski boots, but even so.
>
> PPS  Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell mine
> and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt very
> much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.

Can I just remark on how restrained umra has been in concentrating on
skiing and the Kondo effect (the other one).

john

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

<l4giocF53eeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21667&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21667

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 12:01:16 +0000
Lines: 17
Message-ID: <l4giocF53eeU1@mid.individual.net>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <urutuv$1qin0$2@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net okcgnLvdbzSB9Armm6ISRg+KxvNrj47s3VcwyAi91RwkrSY/8=
Cancel-Lock: sha1:5NrzMTU9R/qz+4iQltj/NiWHkeU= sha256:BD+HsJQ+NoGBwP1/UhAAKrv/sb6Tk3zWpGxbfsLxhSk=
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Content-Language: en-US
In-Reply-To: <urutuv$1qin0$2@dont-email.me>
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 12:01 UTC

On 02/03/2024 10:10, john ashby wrote:
> On 01/03/2024 08:48, BrritSki wrote:
>> The waife has just advertised head on eBay for £20. Should I be worried ?
>>
>> PS  They were actually Head ski boots, but even so.
>>
>> PPS  Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell
>> mine and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt
>> very much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.
>
> Can I just remark on how restrained umra has been in concentrating on
> skiing and the Kondo effect (the other one).
>
I know, I should have left the PPS out in that blatant BTN attempt. Or
maybe pure-minded umrats are not familiar with the Americanism. It's a
blow...

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

<l4gjppF53eeU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21668&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21668

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 12:19:04 +0000
Lines: 14
Message-ID: <l4gjppF53eeU2@mid.individual.net>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <urtulg$1hfbt$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Trace: individual.net g4ctM1AqJEK4I4S0i/FsEwzfJ4BYFfwnrhBWywa1sWcZfvW1A=
Cancel-Lock: sha1:74AFtQ/uCKBNZs7r6cg8zIK99Q4= sha256:1CSouOJD8lP0/afhjeamUWN+dvsbyDmlAgov8h0jMzw=
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Content-Language: en-US
In-Reply-To: <urtulg$1hfbt$1@dont-email.me>
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 12:19 UTC

On 02/03/2024 01:16, Ben Blaney wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2024 at 3:48:54 AM EST, "BrritSki" <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> PPS Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell mine
>> and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt very
>> much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.
>
> When I lived in Colorado, where of course many people are very keen skiers,
> many people had skis and poles configured as "wall art", which I find rather
> interesting. I would do something like that in our current house, but it's
> very open-plan, and therefore doesn't have all that many walls.

Yes, same here. Haven't got space or a room suitable....

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage

<BLD5Zybna54lFw+n@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21672&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21672

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.23.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 21:18:35 +0000
Message-ID: <BLD5Zybna54lFw+n@255soft.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:14:15 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net> <e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org> <l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net> <2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk> <urutpl$1qin0$1@dont-email.me>
Organization: 255 software
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=us-ascii;format=flowed
User-Agent: Turnpike/6.07-M (<ro5iwHFF8$aIVBJVHOH+QdRCVP>)
X-Antivirus: AVG (VPS 240302-6, 2024-3-2), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Lines: 38
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-EVempNbNbajIl/W2yIeGWWI2fIzGV4WjuXD7C469t6W/kh59vS9SOjt2Md1dglf89UmaG9uidIlvC/1!ahoMsAZ3tNsK/Y6qcuu1S2NAsWs3jBXmKpncBHLLFLauCjuZbtNpBYYN8WaC/QlBll9mv5to
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:14 UTC

In message <urutpl$1qin0$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:07:49,
john ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes
>On 01/03/2024 17:54, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>[snip]
>> I do virtually all my listening these days (apart from the above
>>in-car CDs) through this laptop. Yes, proper kit gives better sound,
>>but the effort - however minimal - isn't zero. I tend only to turn
>>the amp. and speakers on once a year, for the second half of LNOTP.

(I actually tried it last night - BBC4 was doing the 1975 Queen concert
- and the fault that's been there for some time, one channel
intermittent, has become permanent: no amount of fiddling with the
controls, or switching off and on [which used to restore it], brought it
back. I guess I'll have to open it up. Which I'm very short of tuits
for.)
>
>I invested in a modest bluetooth speaker to deal with the poor laptop
>sound problem. Said speaker has just thrown itself off the bedside
>table, possibly as a comment on my singing (I was trying to learn some
>music for a workshop this afternoon).
>
>john
>
I too did that - quite a nice one (that also has a radio) - with my
previous laptop, which had poor speakers; this one to my surprise has
quite good sound, though that wasn't something I was looking for when I
bought it. It - the bluetooth speaker - worked fine with my previous
laptop under XP, but refuses to work with Windows 7, though it should;
at best the W7 laptop sees it as an external keyboard! Which is no good,
as it wants me to type in a code - which of course I can't on a speaker!
It came with a cable, though, so I can just connect it to the headphone
output if I want to. I mainly just use the radio part - it's what I
usually listen to TA through!
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

All humanity is divided into three classes: those who are immovable, those who
are movable, and those who move! - Benjamin Franklin

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage

<l6a9ui5ctgbsriiafm7rg510lpn0vrn11h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21682&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21682

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 16:47:35 +0000
Organization: really???
Lines: 22
Message-ID: <l6a9ui5ctgbsriiafm7rg510lpn0vrn11h@4ax.com>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net> <e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org> <l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net> <2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk> <urutpl$1qin0$1@dont-email.me>
Reply-To: nickodell49@yahoo.ca
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="792cdef2291ac71ebb514858d1df4ca6";
logging-data="2730118"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+j9mKSWz09CiHMqarjjsMOCeGKN4a/h6c="
Cancel-Lock: sha1:9LqBKQV1Fo1+NqqGvOwtKATMzNM=
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 4.2/32.1118
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 16:47 UTC

On Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:07:49 +0000, john ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 01/03/2024 17:54, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>[snip]
>>
>> I do virtually all my listening these days (apart from the above in-car
>> CDs) through this laptop. Yes, proper kit gives better sound, but the
>> effort - however minimal - isn't zero. I tend only to turn the amp. and
>> speakers on once a year, for the second half of LNOTP.
>
>I invested in a modest bluetooth speaker to deal with the poor laptop
>sound problem. Said speaker has just thrown itself off the bedside
>table, possibly as a comment on my singing (I was trying to learn some
>music for a workshop this afternoon).
>
Planning to earn a little bit of extra cash by busking? I've seen
singers on the underground railway, press little buttons on their
mobile phones whereby the bluetooth speakers they have hanging around
their necks burst into life with full orchestral accompaniment.

Nick

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

<fga9uipoq9q64h2b0ak3aiue9i3vohock7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21683&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21683

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 16:50:46 +0000
Organization: really???
Lines: 19
Message-ID: <fga9uipoq9q64h2b0ak3aiue9i3vohock7@4ax.com>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <urtulg$1hfbt$1@dont-email.me>
Reply-To: nickodell49@yahoo.ca
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="792cdef2291ac71ebb514858d1df4ca6";
logging-data="2732275"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18jD7kYKBo6pSHLVHyWq7/mUSSKTxu2QME="
Cancel-Lock: sha1:W9usPJ1ozemnXiC5zPltLPI8Qis=
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 4.2/32.1118
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 16:50 UTC

On Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:16:32 -0000 (UTC), Ben Blaney
<benblaney@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>On Mar 1, 2024 at 3:48:54 AM EST, "BrritSki" <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> PPS Following my recent decision (umra 25/2) I should really sell mine
>> and our skis too (but never the almost 50yo poles!), but I doubt very
>> much if anyone will buy them and I would be very sad to see them go.
>
>When I lived in Colorado, where of course many people are very keen skiers,
>many people had skis and poles configured as "wall art", which I find rather
>interesting. I would do something like that in our current house, but it's
>very open-plan, and therefore doesn't have all that many walls.

I think that is an excellent idea, Ben. I have instruments hanging on
one wall in my "music room" which are a brief history of my career.

Nick

Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage

<9vebuilvnl5pe07cuimrt0rulc72hcpodb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21690&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21690

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice; now disposal of things, and CD storage
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 12:21:26 +0000
Lines: 37
Message-ID: <9vebuilvnl5pe07cuimrt0rulc72hcpodb@4ax.com>
References: <l4dj3mFlfgbU3@mid.individual.net> <l4dl3vFlufiU1@mid.individual.net> <e4q3ui540mfe7i4s0i3mfasccc7qpd01pu@news.eternal-september.org> <l4efeuFp1u0U1@mid.individual.net> <2hwUjiQoZh4lFwbZ@255soft.uk> <a4j4uileup2jkmla411iuugoi64arjp6jf@4ax.com> <qW2jODXz9n4lFw7D@255soft.uk>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Trace: individual.net KBsLk3pXcMrl65EJi2Yc/ADP9qj+GRKkrLMMKy9OcY82EZYIz+
Cancel-Lock: sha1:3C+iE26C6jHqSQb1mN1n+JocvIg= sha256:bY/emXSffGdJaW8+CeXD2bRmFXVxU4Ol5xt0UZYsM9k=
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 4.2/32.1118
 by: Chris J Dixon - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:21 UTC

J. P. Gilliver wrote:

>In message <a4j4uileup2jkmla411iuugoi64arjp6jf@4ax.com> at Fri, 1 Mar
>2024 22:12:31, Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> writes

>>I use MS Access databases, but that is probably because I enjoy
>>it. Over the years I have also ripped everything to MP3, and
>>disposed of the tapes. I allocate the numbers in the order they
>>arrive, the first digit being the CD/ LP/ Tape/ MP3
>>differentiator.

>>My DVD database has over 800 entries, about 160 are commercial,
>>the rest are home recordings, many of which I guess may never be
>>watched. Plenty of the commercial ones are still in their shrink
>>wrap.

>>The book collection is mostly not mine, but BOFE was able to use
>>a phone app to scan everything, and most of the stuff with bar
>>codes grabs all the data without you having to enter anything,
>>apart from where you are storing the item. Over 1400 so far, plus
>>a few hundred of mine.

>You are _very_ organised.

Indeed! You probably don't want to know about my spreadsheets - I
love a good graph, or a page full of conditional formatting.

When planning a purchase, I find that getting the details
together on a spreadsheet usually allows me to home in on the
right choice for me.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
'48/33 M B+ G++ A L(-) I S-- CH0(--)(p) Ar- T+ H0 ?Q
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.


aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / OT: Ask UMRA - relationship advice

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor