It's very inconvenient to be mortal -- you never know when everything may suddenly stop happening.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Cyclist catches 12 drivers using phones behind the wheel in an hour

SubjectAuthor
* Cyclist catches 12 drivers using phones behind the wheel in an hourswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Cyclist catches 12 drivers using phones behind the wheelSpike
`- Re: Cyclist catches 12 drivers using phones behind the wheel in an hourswldx...@gmail.com

1
Cyclist catches 12 drivers using phones behind the wheel in an hour

<0009d5d6-36b0-41fb-a5a5-1d76a6a90174n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21641&group=uk.rec.cycling#21641

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 03:45:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Cyclist catches 12 drivers using phones behind the wheel in an hour
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 11:45 UTC

Twelve drivers on their phones in #Edinburgh today, in about an hour of cycling time. That's 72 endorsement points and £2,400 of fines @PoliceScotland
could issue if they'd delivered the fabled dashcam portal. Sadly I don't have two days to report them all the old-fashioned way.

As Deacon alludes to above, Police Scotland last year announced funding for a new National Dashcam Safety Portal, but the yet to be rolled-out scheme has since been under review and could be axed, prompting a campaign from Cycling UK (link is external) to save it.

Submissions from Scotland presently should go through the time-consuming Police Scotland Online Reporting Form, full details of how to report can be found in our handy feature...

On the topic of riders catching phone-using motorists, yesterday we shared the story of a road.cc reader who was assaulted and knocked off his bike on Christmas Eve 2021 after challenging a driver for their phone use...
Akil James was sentenced at Westminster Magistrate's Court in November and received five penalty points on his driving licence, a £2,000 fine, £620 costs to the Crown Prosecution Service, £200 victim surcharge and £500 compensation to the cyclist (still unreceived).

Re: Cyclist catches 12 drivers using phones behind the wheel in an hour

<k3crlbFhgasU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21659&group=uk.rec.cycling#21659

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Cyclist catches 12 drivers using phones behind the wheel
in an hour
Date: 25 Jan 2023 14:11:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 14:11 UTC

It was only a £1000 fine when a cyclist killed a motorcyclist.

Somewhat of a disparity there.

--
Spike

Re: Cyclist catches 12 drivers using phones behind the wheel in an hour

<6fe6a394-9ec9-49ed-8af0-eb14f250d218n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21661&group=uk.rec.cycling#21661

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 06:13:50 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 14:13 UTC

Another one from today — she sees me, shoots me a wee smile, turns back to her phone and carries on scrolling away. (Bonus cargo bike taxi footage near end!)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1542586824870199297

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Cyclist catches 12 drivers using phones behind the wheel in an hour