The world will end in 5 minutes. Please log out.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidents

SubjectAuthor
* Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidentsswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidentsJNugent
`* Re: Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidentsswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidentsJNugent
 `- Re: Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidentsswldx...@gmail.com

1
Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidents

<3eace516-7448-4251-a055-54e8645b51f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21707&group=uk.rec.cycling#21707

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 10:59:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidents
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 18:59 UTC

In what has been a concerning few weeks for the safety of young cyclists on Britain’s roads, an 11-year-old and an 18-year-old have been injured in separate hit-and-run incidents while riding their bikes in Gloucester and Uckfield, respectively.

In Gloucester, an 11-year-old boy was taken to hospital with a head injury after being knocked off his bike by a driver while crossing a road on his way to school yesterday, Gloucestershire Live reports (link is external).

At around 8.20am, the child was cycling across Waterwells Drive in Quedgeley, around three miles from the city centre, after a driver in one lane stopped to let him past. However, another motorist, driving a red Mini Cooper, continued on in the next lane, striking the child and causing him to bang his head off the road.

According to police, while members of the public stopped to help the boy – who was taken to hospital with injuries to his head and legs – the driver failed to stop at the scene and sped off in the direction of Telford Way.

“Officers are now asking the driver of the Mini to make contact and give an account of what happened,” a spokesperson for Gloucestershire Constabulary said.

Witnesses, or anyone with information or dashcam footage, have been asked to complete the police’s online form (link is external), quoting incident 74 of 24 January.

Meanwhile, police in East Sussex have launched a similar appeal after an 18-year-old woman was left seriously injured on the road following a suspected hit-and-run.

According to Sussex World (link is external), the cyclist was found by police at around 7.30am on Monday 16 January on Bellfarm Lane, Uckfield. She was taken to hospital by air ambulance with serious injuries, while the damage to her bike indicated that she had been struck by a motorist.

Officers investigating the incident believe that the 18-year-old was hit by the driver of a gunmetal grey Audi A3, who failed to stop at the scene.

Police understand that the motorist was heading north in the vicinity of Uckfield High Street and had overtaken the driver of a yellow Vauxhall, travelling in the same direction as the cyclist, before the collision.

A 35-year-old man has since been arrested on suspicion of failing to stop after a road accident and causing serious injury by dangerous driving. He has been released on unconditional bail until 18 April while enquiries continue.

Anyone with information has been asked to contact collision.appeal@sussex.police.uk, quoting Operation Cradle.

The two hit-and-run incidents come either side of the tragic deaths of a father and his 16-year-old son, who were killed in a suspected hit-and-run near Barnsley in South Yorkshire last Friday evening.

Dean Jones and his son Lewis Daines died at the scene after being hit on Royston Road in Cudworth, with the car involved later found abandoned in a neighbouring village half a mile away.

South Yorkshire Police have arrested a 37-year-old man on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, but police are still searching for another man.

In a social media, post Lewis’ mother Susan said she loved him “millions” and that the 16-year-old was “well loved” and “will be missed by many”.

https://road.cc/content/news/two-young-cyclists-injured-separate-hit-and-run-incidents-298877

Re: Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidents

<k3dl84F39j9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21718&group=uk.rec.cycling#21718

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 21:28:37 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 21:28 UTC

> In what has been a concerning few weeks for the safety of young cyclists on Britain’s roads, an 11-year-old and an 18-year-old have been injured in separate hit-and-run incidents while riding their bikes in Gloucester and Uckfield, respectively.
> In Gloucester, an 11-year-old boy was taken to hospital with a head injury after being knocked off his bike by a driver while crossing a road on his way to school yesterday, Gloucestershire Live reports (link is external).

How does anyone "cross the road" on a bike?

Only by starting and finishing by cycling on the footway, surely?

Is that the right way for 11-yr-olds to be taught to use the roads?

> At around 8.20am, the child was cycling across Waterwells Drive in Quedgeley, around three miles from the city centre, after a driver in one lane stopped to let him past. However, another motorist, driving a red Mini Cooper, continued on in the next lane, striking the child and causing him to bang his head off the road.

The driver in one lane can't work the brakes of vehicles in other lanes,
of course and has no power to command them to stop. Clearly, a
disastrous level of miscommunication and misunderstanding is displayed
in that incident.

> According to police, while members of the public stopped to help the boy – who was taken to hospital with injuries to his head and legs – the driver failed to stop at the scene and sped off in the direction of Telford Way.

All sorts of possible reasons for that: the person in control only being
qualified as a fairy-cyclist, having no insurance, being disqualified
from driving, being "over the limit" from the previous night's
over-indulgence, the vehicle even being stolen...

> “Officers are now asking the driver of the Mini to make contact and give an account of what happened,” a spokesperson for Gloucestershire Constabulary said.
> Witnesses, or anyone with information or dashcam footage, have been asked to complete the police’s online form (link is external), quoting incident 74 of 24 January.

Re: Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidents

<5a21ed9c-5aa1-40da-a327-5cb481b99386n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21722&group=uk.rec.cycling#21722

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 13:51:50 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 21:51 UTC

QUOTE: According to police, while members of the public stopped to help the boy – who was taken to hospital with injuries to his head and legs – the driver failed to stop at the scene and sped off in the direction of Telford Way. ENDS

What utter twat would do that?

Oh yes - your typical chavscum driver.

Re: Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidents

<k3dmlkF3f25U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21723&group=uk.rec.cycling#21723

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 21:52:54 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 21:52 UTC

> QUOTE: According to police, while members of the public stopped to help the boy – who was taken to hospital with injuries to his head and legs – the driver failed to stop at the scene and sped off in the direction of Telford Way. ENDS
>
> What utter twat would do that?
>
> Oh yes - your typical chavscum driver.

You mean a fully-qualified fairy-cyclist who was illicitly pretending to
be a driver.

Re: Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidents

<8cfaa22b-e2dc-4cd3-97e0-8fe7e04c4f5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21725&group=uk.rec.cycling#21725

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 13:54:47 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 21:54 UTC

On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 9:51:52 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: According to police, while members of the public stopped to help the boy – who was taken to hospital with injuries to his head and legs – the driver failed to stop at the scene and sped off in the direction of Telford Way. ENDS
>
> What utter twat would do that?
>
> Oh yes - your typical chavscum driver.

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/schema_org/public/images/News/Still%20taken%20from%20YouTube%20video%20A%20Clown%20Takes%20a%20Pratfall..jpg

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Two young cyclists injured in separate hit-and-run incidents