A national debt, if it is not excessive, will be to us a national blessing. -- Alexander Hamilton

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

SubjectAuthor
* UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsSpike
+* Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsSpike
|`* Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsSpike
+- Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsJNugent
`* Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsSpike
 `* Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsswldx...@gmail.com
  +- Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsSpike
  `* Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsSimon Mason
   +* Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsSpike
   |`* Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsJNugent
   | `- Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsPeter Granger
   +- Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsJNugent
   `* Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsswldx...@gmail.com
    +- Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsSpike
    `* Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsswldx...@gmail.com
     +- Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsSpike
     `- Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 yearsswldx...@gmail.com

1
UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<b2a16637-ae21-4acd-a859-aa848f7b6c10n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21753&group=uk.rec.cycling#21753

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 03:54:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 11:54 UTC

BREXTASTIC NEWS.

The number of new cars made in the UK has sunk to its lowest level for 66 years as firms warn the country is not doing enough to attract manufacturers..

The 10% drop is the worst performance since 1956, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders.

A struggle to get parts due to Covid and a semiconductor shortage have hit the industry worldwide, but the UK has also been hit by factory closures.

Car firms warn the UK has not got a strategy to attract manufacturers.

In response, the government said it was "determined" to ensure the country remains a top global location for car manufacturing.

In total, the UK produced 775,014 cars last year, down from 1.3 million before the pandemic, with production having fallen every year since the UK voted to leave the European Union in 2016.

Manufacturers hope the car industry will start to accelerate again, but say getting to pre-pandemic levels would require major investment and new car makers to come to the UK.

They warn that the UK is lagging behind, particularly on offering state aid to manufacturers.

In the US, the government is planning to offer billions in subsidies to car makers who create electric vehicle supply chains in America.

Mike Hawes, chief executive of industry body the SMMT, warns this will "hoover up" a lot of international investment, hitting the UK industry further.

The European Union is considering retaliating by either relaxing state aid rules or by extending Covid recovery or green technology-boosting programmes.

One of the benefits of Brexit was meant to be escaping from the straitjacket of EU state aid rules which limited the amount of support governments could give to favoured industries.

Mr Hawes conceded the UK could be in the unenviable position of offering less support to crucial industries than before it left the EU.

Speaking to the BBC's Today programme, he said the UK needed "something that demonstrates that the UK is open for business and open for these investments".

The production figures were also affected by the closure of Honda's factory in Swindon in July 2021 and the fact that Vauxhall Astras have not been made at Ellesmere Port since April 2022.

Mr Hawes said the numbers reflected how "tough" 2022 was for UK car manufacturing, although the country had still made more electric vehicles than ever before, with almost a third now fully-electric or hybrid.

He warned the global car industry had already begun investing in electric vehicles and batteries and the UK only had "a few years" to act.

"We need to be on the front foot making sure we have a range of measures that attract investment," Mr Hawes said.

He called for a strategy to accelerate battery production and the shift to electric vehicles, adding that the UK was well placed to succeed given its skilled workforce and engineering expertise.

UK car production was further set back by the collapse of battery start-up Britishvolt last week.

The firm had planned to build a giant factory to make electric car batteries in Cambois, near Blyth in Northumberland, but the project ran out of money.

The UK currently only has one Chinese-owned battery plant next to the Nissan factory in Sunderland, while 35 plants are planned or already under construction in the EU.

A government spokesperson said: "We are determined to ensure the UK remains one of the best locations in the world for automotive manufacturing.

"Our success is evidenced by the £1bn investment in Sunderland in 2021, and we are building on this through a major investment programme to electrify our supply chain and create jobs."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64399748?fbclid=IwAR1SjOumOMVF8cwno86CvDFqwH20yZh1G1NDtFBWeMO5Rvfsr8Bu7WHngx4

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<k3fdtbFbkf5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21757&group=uk.rec.cycling#21757

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 26 Jan 2023 13:35:39 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 13:35 UTC

Trust the BBC to put the worst possible spin on this topic. The components
problems mentioned are global in scope and affect every vehicle
manufacturer.

Doubtless the world shortage of electronics will be blamed on Brexit, by
the moronic.

Note that EVs are being promoted in this article, while other news reveals
that for every available fast charger, there are 93 EVs. The DNOs are being
blamed for not laying on more distribution and transformers, although
no-one is asking where the electricity is coming from. Form an orderly
queue, people. Oh! Did the BBC forget to mention that?

--
Spike

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<a43b828c-a87e-44ee-9a54-f720af376a3en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21767&group=uk.rec.cycling#21767

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 05:53:11 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 13:53 UTC

QUOTE: In total, the UK produced 775,014 cars last year, down from 1.3 million before the pandemic, with production having fallen every year since the UK voted to leave the European Union in 2016. ENDS

Bloody hell - the BBC nearly mention Brexit.
They will get a bollocking for that from their Tory masters.

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<k3fh7lFc4anU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21775&group=uk.rec.cycling#21775

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 26 Jan 2023 14:32:21 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 14:32 UTC

> QUOTE: In total, the UK produced 775,014 cars last year, down from 1.3
> million before the pandemic, with production having fallen every year
> since the UK voted to leave the European Union in 2016. ENDS

> Bloody hell - the BBC nearly mention Brexit.
> They will get a bollocking for that from their Tory masters.

You didn’t read the report, did you? Just saw the headline and couldn’t
copy and paste fast enough.

“One of the benefits of Brexit…”

HTH

--
Spike

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<k3foedFd6aqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21784&group=uk.rec.cycling#21784

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:35:25 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:35 UTC

On 26/01/2023 11:54 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> BREXTASTIC NEWS.
>
> The number of new cars made in the UK has sunk to its lowest level for 66 years as firms warn the country is not doing enough to attract manufacturers.
> The 10% drop is the worst performance since 1956, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders.
> A struggle to get parts due to Covid and a semiconductor shortage have hit the industry worldwide, but the UK has also been hit by factory closures.

Oh.

> Car firms warn the UK has not got a strategy to attract manufacturers.

Aren't THEY "manufacturers"?

> In response, the government said it was "determined" to ensure the country remains a top global location for car manufacturing.
> In total, the UK produced 775,014 cars last year, down from 1.3 million before the pandemic, with production having fallen every year since the UK voted to leave the European Union in 2016.

My own car did about three thousand miles between March 2020 and its MOT
due next week. Why on earth would I want to be buying a new car to
replace one with less than nineteen thousand miles on the clock?

That would just be status-signalling. I'm definitely not into that.

> Manufacturers hope the car industry will start to accelerate again, but say getting to pre-pandemic levels would require major investment and new car makers to come to the UK.

How about putting back the date when all new cars have to be
waste-of-money EVs?

> They warn that the UK is lagging behind, particularly on offering state aid to manufacturers.

Oh dear... "state aid to manufacturers"...

Not out of my taxes, lad.

> In the US, the government is planning to offer billions in subsidies to car makers who create electric vehicle supply chains in America.

Fantastic news to buyers of American cars. Terrible news for American
taxpayers.

> Mike Hawes, chief executive of industry body the SMMT, warns this will "hoover up" a lot of international investment, hitting the UK industry further.
> The European Union is considering retaliating by either relaxing state aid rules or by extending Covid recovery or green technology-boosting programmes.
> One of the benefits of Brexit was meant to be escaping from the straitjacket of EU state aid rules which limited the amount of support governments could give to favoured industries.
> Mr Hawes conceded the UK could be in the unenviable position of offering less support to crucial industries than before it left the EU.
> Speaking to the BBC's Today programme, he said the UK needed "something that demonstrates that the UK is open for business and open for these investments".

Does the UK actually need more motor vehicle construction capacity when
demand is what it is?

> The production figures were also affected by the closure of Honda's factory in Swindon in July 2021 and the fact that Vauxhall Astras have not been made at Ellesmere Port since April 2022.
> Mr Hawes said the numbers reflected how "tough" 2022 was for UK car manufacturing, although the country had still made more electric vehicles than ever before, with almost a third now fully-electric or hybrid.

....but priced at not less than £30,000.

When were volume cars ever priced at a level broadly the same as average
annual gross earnings?

The Mini was priced at about £400 when the average wage (net, let alone
gross) was at least three times that.

> He warned the global car industry had already begun investing in electric vehicles and batteries and the UK only had "a few years" to act.
> "We need to be on the front foot making sure we have a range of measures that attract investment," Mr Hawes said.
> He called for a strategy to accelerate battery production and the shift to electric vehicles, adding that the UK was well placed to succeed given its skilled workforce and engineering expertise.
> UK car production was further set back by the collapse of battery start-up Britishvolt last week.
> The firm had planned to build a giant factory to make electric car batteries in Cambois, near Blyth in Northumberland, but the project ran out of money.

With all this alleged demand for EVs, how could that happen?

> The UK currently only has one Chinese-owned battery plant next to the Nissan factory in Sunderland, while 35 plants are planned or already under construction in the EU.

And?

> A government spokesperson said: "We are determined to ensure the UK remains one of the best locations in the world for automotive manufacturing.

Scrap the stupid 2030 rule and relax the target for so-called
"net-zero", then.

> "Our success is evidenced by the £1bn investment in Sunderland in 2021, and we are building on this through a major investment programme to electrify our supply chain and create jobs."

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64399748?fbclid=IwAR1SjOumOMVF8cwno86CvDFqwH20yZh1G1NDtFBWeMO5Rvfsr8Bu7WHngx4

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<212d4ad6-c29f-4484-8e88-7f35cca51d1an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21801&group=uk.rec.cycling#21801

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 10:23:35 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 18:23 UTC

On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 1:53:13 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: In total, the UK produced 775,014 cars last year, down from 1.3 million before the pandemic, with production having fallen every year since the UK voted to leave the European Union in 2016. ENDS
>
> Bloody hell - the BBC nearly mention Brexit.
> They will get a bollocking for that from their Tory masters.

Brexit boom.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fnaw-h5XEBMO2iw?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<k3fvcfFe8juU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21809&group=uk.rec.cycling#21809

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 26 Jan 2023 18:33:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 18:33 UTC

> On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 1:53:13 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE: In total, the UK produced 775,014 cars last year, down from 1.3
>> million before the pandemic, with production having fallen every year
>> since the UK voted to leave the European Union in 2016. ENDS
>>
>> Bloody hell - the BBC nearly mention Brexit.
>> They will get a bollocking for that from their Tory masters.
>
> Brexit boom.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fnaw-h5XEBMO2iw?format=jpg&name=medium

What’s to stop UK citizens buying foreign-made cars?

--
Spike

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<81eeda18-ccff-49a5-8fe2-f2c705569456n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21814&group=uk.rec.cycling#21814

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 10:49:24 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 18:49 UTC

QUOTE: The firm had planned to build a giant factory to make electric car batteries in Cambois, near Blyth in Northumberland, but the project ran out of money. ENDS

No buildings were ever erected.

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<k3g30oFeq5hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21818&group=uk.rec.cycling#21818

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 26 Jan 2023 19:35:52 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:35 UTC

swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE: The firm had planned to build a giant factory to make electric car
> batteries in Cambois, near Blyth in Northumberland, but the project ran out of money. ENDS

> No buildings were ever erected.

A flawed business model failed to attract the necessary investment. A
classic business error.

HTH

--
Spike

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<251c8296-a859-433c-b6af-d954bf013a64n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21850&group=uk.rec.cycling#21850

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 21:46:14 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 05:46 UTC

What happpened after 2016?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FndNeoTXkAAs4ov?format=jpg&name=900x900

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<k3i87fForaoU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21902&group=uk.rec.cycling#21902

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 27 Jan 2023 15:17:03 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 15:17 UTC

> What happpened after 2016?

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FndNeoTXkAAs4ov?format=jpg&name=900x900

It’s always sad when a country moves on from its smokestack period. The new
industries are far less visible than heavy industry. Unfortunately they
need brain to replace the brawn, so a new type of worker emerges. Change is
uncomfortable but inevitable.

--
Spike

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<bc641d70-e5ef-4cb6-9448-e02a6a6fb88bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21924&group=uk.rec.cycling#21924

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 08:40:55 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer2...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 16:40 UTC

On Friday, 27 January 2023 at 05:46:16 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> What happpened after 2016?
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FndNeoTXkAAs4ov?format=jpg&name=900x900

Car production imploded in the UK.

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<k3iea6FposqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21933&group=uk.rec.cycling#21933

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 27 Jan 2023 17:00:54 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:00 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer2022@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 27 January 2023 at 05:46:16 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> What happpened after 2016?
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FndNeoTXkAAs4ov?format=jpg&name=900x900

> Car production imploded in the UK.

It’s always sad when a country moves on from its smokestack period. The new
industries are far less visible than heavy industry. Unfortunately they
need brain to replace the brawn, so a new type of worker emerges. Change is
uncomfortable but inevitable.

--
Spike

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<k3ifqtFpv68U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21944&group=uk.rec.cycling#21944

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:26:54 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:26 UTC

On 27/01/2023 04:40 pm, Simon Mason...

....pretending to be talking to himself (again), said:

> On Friday, 27 January 2023 at 05:46:16 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> What happpened after 2016?
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FndNeoTXkAAs4ov?format=jpg&name=900x900

> Car production imploded in the UK...
....and *who* cares?

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<k3iftpFpv68U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21945&group=uk.rec.cycling#21945

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:28:26 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:28 UTC

....talking to himself (apparently), said:

>> On Friday, 27 January 2023 at 05:46:16 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> What happpened after 2016?
>>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FndNeoTXkAAs4ov?format=jpg&name=900x900
>
>> Car production imploded in the UK.
>
> It’s always sad when a country moves on from its smokestack period. The new
> industries are far less visible than heavy industry. Unfortunately they
> need brain to replace the brawn, so a new type of worker emerges....

....and the janitorial staff are let go, to "retire" early? ;-)

> Change is uncomfortable but inevitable.

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<d91c5656-f917-4616-b7ec-d5627e74cf3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21949&group=uk.rec.cycling#21949

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 09:47:07 -0800 (PST)
From: PeterGra...@protonmail.com (Peter Granger)
 by: Peter Granger - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:47 UTC

On Friday, 27 January 2023 at 17:28:28 UTC, JNugent wrote:
> On 27/01/2023 05:00 pm, Spike wrote:
>
> > Simon Mason <swldx...@gmail.com>...
> ...talking to himself (apparently), said:

> >> Car production imploded in the UK.
> >
> > It’s always sad when a country moves on from its smokestack period. The new
> > industries are far less visible than heavy industry. Unfortunately they
> > need brain to replace the brawn, so a new type of worker emerges....
>
> ...and the janitorial staff are let go, to "retire" early? ;-)

Maybe Mason thinks “retire” means “re-tire”? As in repeatedly making us yawn at his robotic, predictable idiocy?

This one’s hiring multiple candidates, Mason. And it’s in Scunthorpe, so you won’t forget where it is because the town name contains a description of you.

https://uk.indeed.com/m/app/vjredirect?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.indeed.com%2Fpagead%2Fclk%3Fmo%3Dr%26ad%3D-6NYlbfkN0BOlEbrnbOjX2sbnhLI2dTNfSrJlWlN6pMGClZxBwkIR9s4InwQ54eslhu8dc9ecJm2FsFh53UPxHFnRL6RPtBZlbuZfjailQevtUJhJ4dgJaQ9oQQxUy2OEQ8s-CDhdZZGN6zWXdVI04fIF2A5kzVH4Jy-i527VOnR3O0Bxuad2YIDRANZt79SNt8JJ6S3lwNRpbnk5Zkr5VOpshFRfMbpQR4d9nxehs2BWfsdJtEZ6nViLtKmXxJVpS6Cf3eELXdKJYA2YcaQ1tymASqPTBF14DDZBQLCKtA_Z-rJwFf1Q40Q4pM_orD7uk96HwljqC6UC8IfzMSEgVZBUpevg42I0d7R0WDTkgWv5n4ZO74KtKrMargcqANariZswo8ZGtTSuL92cnqgfixcnQoHkH4brYVlhNgQkWvH1BsFnHgrvYak0csglXeNlb3xhjuTWGPbNzDqxoW7pFh06wIe-IYHd8R4pVX0u0hGUWE4INpoSuSCiNBDfuC0WGAjK17rWMX_DzQ4mmr8NV81sG4FwV8gUGNSp6w0yA9azgdHGoZjAOiC_UTqgAJzBOYqIgtbnKnQyx6Qt1OY3EosavEEyZFX%26xkcb%3DSoBp-_M3U6CQAYg37z0KbzkdCdPP%26p%3D0%26atk%3D1gnq57upbjkmk804%26prevUrl%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fuk.indeed.com%252Fm%252Fjobs%253Fq%253Drefuse%252Bcollector%2526l%253DLincolnshire%2526radius%253D25%2526from%253DsearchOnSerp%2526sameL%253D1%26prforceGroups%3D%26from%3Dserp&mclk=jk%3De1297f39ab290523%26rd%3DVwIPTVJ1cTn5AN7Q-tSqGRXGNe2wB2UYx73qSczFnGU%26what%3Drefuse+collector%26mobtk%3D1gnq57unrjkmk800%26atk%3D1gnq57upbjkmk804%26spon%3D1%26where%3DLincolnshire%26jt%3D%26dupclk%3D0%26radius%3D35%26explvl%3D

#FindMasonAJob

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<eeb24837-8071-4e16-948d-539b8dd2c3c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21958&group=uk.rec.cycling#21958

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 10:00:36 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 18:00 UTC

On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 4:40:56 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> On Friday, 27 January 2023 at 05:46:16 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > What happpened after 2016?
> >
> > https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FndNeoTXkAAs4ov?format=jpg&name=900x900
> Car production imploded in the UK.

Honda buggered off and shut its plant down as well.

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<k3iitoFqer8U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21962&group=uk.rec.cycling#21962

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 27 Jan 2023 18:19:36 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 18:19 UTC

> On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 4:40:56 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
>> On Friday, 27 January 2023 at 05:46:16 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> What happpened after 2016?
>>>
>>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FndNeoTXkAAs4ov?format=jpg&name=900x900
>> Car production imploded in the UK.
>
> Honda buggered off and shut its plant down as well.

And?

--
Spike

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<0b73a343-02c4-4dad-9963-3175508c3e23n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21979&group=uk.rec.cycling#21979

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 22:01:57 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 06:01 UTC

On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 6:00:38 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 4:40:56 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> > On Friday, 27 January 2023 at 05:46:16 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > What happpened after 2016?
> > >
> > > https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FndNeoTXkAAs4ov?format=jpg&name=900x900
> > Car production imploded in the UK.
> Honda buggered off and shut its plant down as well.

Britishvolt ‘collapsed owing £120m’ as UK car industry reports dismal year. The battery startup Britishvolt owed as much as £120m to creditors when it collapsed last week in a major blow to hopes of sustaining the British car industry, it can be revealed.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jan/26/britishvolt-collapsed-owing-120m-as-uk-car-industry-reports-dismal-year?fbclid=IwAR0dOOZs0axe-WhIN9HSWT-19KYaT8UK4-TsCJeyPCNzgTf8kxaO1_98MUg

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<k3k7lnF3idcU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21987&group=uk.rec.cycling#21987

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 28 Jan 2023 09:19:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 09:19 UTC

swldx...wrote:

> Britishvolt ‘collapsed owing £120m’ as UK car industry reports dismal
> year. The battery startup Britishvolt owed as much as £120m to creditors
> when it collapsed last week in a major blow to hopes of sustaining the
> British car industry, it can be revealed.

> https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jan/26/britishvolt-collapsed-owing-120m-as-uk-car-industry-reports-dismal-year?fbclid=IwAR0dOOZs0axe-WhIN9HSWT-19KYaT8UK4-TsCJeyPCNzgTf8kxaO1_98MUg

The failure was due to a flawed business model that unsurprisingly failed
to attract the necessary investment.

Don’t you follow the business news? Too busy lapping up road.cc’s tripe,
probably.

--
Spike

Re: UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years

<1e6dab48-b920-4674-8186-a36bb9788f77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21994&group=uk.rec.cycling#21994

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 03:29:47 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:29 UTC

> Britishvolt ‘collapsed owing £120m’ as UK car industry reports dismal year. The battery startup Britishvolt owed as much as £120m to creditors when it collapsed last week in a major blow to hopes of sustaining the British car industry, it can be revealed.
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jan/26/britishvolt-collapsed-owing-120m-as-uk-car-industry-reports-dismal-year?fbclid=IwAR0dOOZs0axe-WhIN9HSWT-19KYaT8UK4-TsCJeyPCNzgTf8kxaO1_98MUg

"British car industry"? Does that include Nissan?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / UK car production collapses to lowest for 66 years