University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small. -- C. P. Snow

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

SubjectAuthor
* Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.Dan
+* Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.Paul
|`* Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.Dan
| +- Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.Paul
| `* Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.Jeff Barnett
|  +- Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.Andy Burns
|  `- Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.Paul
`* Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.SH
 +- Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.Dan
 `* Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.Theo
  `- Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.Dan

1
Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

<pdft6hlqe9fij2pt3fr7skbemvdsj409hn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2171&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2171

From: dannewsg...@outlookSPAMXXX.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 18:06:11 +0100
 by: Dan - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:06 UTC

On virgin media 200 Mbit connection - SH3 set to modem mode. Computer
is a i5, 16GB RAM with a Samsung 1TB (48% used) SSD 99% health.
System: SH3 (modem mode) using upper Ethernet port 1 -> TP link switch
-> RT-AX88U.
Tried direct from SH3 to RT-AX88U. Still WAN light on RT-AX88U is red.
I had problem when ever I tried to log into my Asus RT-AX88U connected
via my TP link 5 port switch (gigabit compatible) connected to
RT-AX88U

from my laptop - across the house (signal is very good), I could not
log into the Asus web GUI. Via my phone, when using the same wireless
connection and Asus app - I could
log into my RT-AX88U. All Ethernet cables work - I tested them before
I did anything.
So, I reset RT-AX88U, by pressing reset button for 30 seconds.
RT-AX88U re-booted.
So I tried to connect SH3 to the WAN port RT-AX88U. I rebooted SH3
until modem mode was re-started.
SH3 front light is purple.
Still no WAN connection as RT-AX88U WAN light stays red.
Went to 192.168.50.1. RT-AX88U GUI states "detecting your connection".
Then it automatically goes to next screen,"choose IP type".
I choose automatic. Next it say type SSD ID for 2.4 Ghz and password
(it is 25 digits).
Click on blue button which states "next". This has a Gif now which is
moving in a concentric way. This I left for 30 minutes.
No change.
I have tried to reboot both RT-AX88U and SH3.
I firstly tried to restart SH3, when I get a red light on front of it,
plugging in a working Ethernet cable int the just re-started RT-AX88U,
WAN light does not change from red to white.

I reset SH3 many times, it says it is in modem mode.

Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

<t4mgrj$ckg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2172&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2172

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 13:43:16 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:43 UTC

On 5/1/2022 1:06 PM, Dan wrote:
> On virgin media 200 Mbit connection - SH3 set to modem mode. Computer
> is a i5, 16GB RAM with a Samsung 1TB (48% used) SSD 99% health.
> System: SH3 (modem mode) using upper Ethernet port 1 -> TP link switch
> -> RT-AX88U.
> Tried direct from SH3 to RT-AX88U. Still WAN light on RT-AX88U is red.
> I had problem when ever I tried to log into my Asus RT-AX88U connected
> via my TP link 5 port switch (gigabit compatible) connected to
> RT-AX88U
>
> from my laptop - across the house (signal is very good), I could not
> log into the Asus web GUI. Via my phone, when using the same wireless
> connection and Asus app - I could
> log into my RT-AX88U. All Ethernet cables work - I tested them before
> I did anything.
> So, I reset RT-AX88U, by pressing reset button for 30 seconds.
> RT-AX88U re-booted.
> So I tried to connect SH3 to the WAN port RT-AX88U. I rebooted SH3
> until modem mode was re-started.
> SH3 front light is purple.
> Still no WAN connection as RT-AX88U WAN light stays red.
> Went to 192.168.50.1. RT-AX88U GUI states "detecting your connection".
> Then it automatically goes to next screen,"choose IP type".
> I choose automatic. Next it say type SSD ID for 2.4 Ghz and password
> (it is 25 digits).
> Click on blue button which states "next". This has a Gif now which is
> moving in a concentric way. This I left for 30 minutes.
> No change.
> I have tried to reboot both RT-AX88U and SH3.
> I firstly tried to restart SH3, when I get a red light on front of it,
> plugging in a working Ethernet cable int the just re-started RT-AX88U,
> WAN light does not change from red to white.
>
> I reset SH3 many times, it says it is in modem mode.

I started by looking for trouble:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/SH3-Crashing-in-Modem-Mode/td-p/4831523

but perhaps the observations here will help.

https://www.theserpent.co.uk/posts/virgin-media-and-modem-only-mode/

"To summarise, and to use Modem only mode properly, ensure the following:

1) Use DHCP mode on your own router

2) Power on your external router first.

The Virgin Hub will only offer a DHCP address once, shortly after
start up (another caveat, it offered twice for the TV, suggesting
they play favourites with their own kit)

3) Ensure only your router is connected to the Virgin Hub,
multiple connections cause it to fall back into NAT mode
"

Paul

Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

<pjlt6hdh17jpmu9dt3qnqc2eqtghtm5tjl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2173&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2173

From: dannewsg...@outlookSPAMXXX.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 19:56:46 +0100
 by: Dan - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:56 UTC

On Sun, 1 May 2022 13:43:16 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 5/1/2022 1:06 PM, Dan wrote:
>> On virgin media 200 Mbit connection - SH3 set to modem mode. Computer
>> is a i5, 16GB RAM with a Samsung 1TB (48% used) SSD 99% health.
>> System: SH3 (modem mode) using upper Ethernet port 1 -> TP link switch
>> -> RT-AX88U.
>> Tried direct from SH3 to RT-AX88U. Still WAN light on RT-AX88U is red.
>> I had problem when ever I tried to log into my Asus RT-AX88U connected
>> via my TP link 5 port switch (gigabit compatible) connected to
>> RT-AX88U
>>
>> from my laptop - across the house (signal is very good), I could not
>> log into the Asus web GUI. Via my phone, when using the same wireless
>> connection and Asus app - I could
>> log into my RT-AX88U. All Ethernet cables work - I tested them before
>> I did anything.
>> So, I reset RT-AX88U, by pressing reset button for 30 seconds.
>> RT-AX88U re-booted.
>> So I tried to connect SH3 to the WAN port RT-AX88U. I rebooted SH3
>> until modem mode was re-started.
>> SH3 front light is purple.
>> Still no WAN connection as RT-AX88U WAN light stays red.
>> Went to 192.168.50.1. RT-AX88U GUI states "detecting your connection".
>> Then it automatically goes to next screen,"choose IP type".
>> I choose automatic. Next it say type SSD ID for 2.4 Ghz and password
>> (it is 25 digits).
>> Click on blue button which states "next". This has a Gif now which is
>> moving in a concentric way. This I left for 30 minutes.
>> No change.
>> I have tried to reboot both RT-AX88U and SH3.
>> I firstly tried to restart SH3, when I get a red light on front of it,
>> plugging in a working Ethernet cable int the just re-started RT-AX88U,
>> WAN light does not change from red to white.
>>
>> I reset SH3 many times, it says it is in modem mode.
>>

>I started by looking for trouble:
>
>https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/SH3-Crashing-in-Modem-Mode/td-p/4831523
>
>but perhaps the observations here will help.
>
>https://www.theserpent.co.uk/posts/virgin-media-and-modem-only-mode/
>
> "To summarise, and to use Modem only mode properly, ensure the following:
>
> 1) Use DHCP mode on your own router
>
> 2) Power on your external router first.
>
> The Virgin Hub will only offer a DHCP address once, shortly after
> start up (another caveat, it offered twice for the TV, suggesting
> they play favourites with their own kit)
>
> 3) Ensure only your router is connected to the Virgin Hub,
> multiple connections cause it to fall back into NAT mode
> "
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul,

it now is not even powering up. :-(

When I press the on button, the power led stays on for about one
second, then the 2.4 and 5 Ghz leds flash white and finally the WAN
led lights up red.
Then it shows no led at all.

What other brand do you recommend?
This is the second Asus that has failed.
I am on virgin media 200 Mbit and want one that is compatible with
pfsense.

Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

<t4mpq7$1nto$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2174&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2174

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 21:16:07 +0100
 by: SH - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:16 UTC

On 01/05/2022 18:06, Dan wrote:
> On virgin media 200 Mbit connection - SH3 set to modem mode. Computer
> is a i5, 16GB RAM with a Samsung 1TB (48% used) SSD 99% health.
> System: SH3 (modem mode) using upper Ethernet port 1 -> TP link switch
> -> RT-AX88U.
> Tried direct from SH3 to RT-AX88U. Still WAN light on RT-AX88U is red.
> I had problem when ever I tried to log into my Asus RT-AX88U connected
> via my TP link 5 port switch (gigabit compatible) connected to
> RT-AX88U
>
> from my laptop - across the house (signal is very good), I could not
> log into the Asus web GUI. Via my phone, when using the same wireless
> connection and Asus app - I could
> log into my RT-AX88U. All Ethernet cables work - I tested them before
> I did anything.
> So, I reset RT-AX88U, by pressing reset button for 30 seconds.
> RT-AX88U re-booted.
> So I tried to connect SH3 to the WAN port RT-AX88U. I rebooted SH3
> until modem mode was re-started.
> SH3 front light is purple.
> Still no WAN connection as RT-AX88U WAN light stays red.
> Went to 192.168.50.1. RT-AX88U GUI states "detecting your connection".
> Then it automatically goes to next screen,"choose IP type".
> I choose automatic. Next it say type SSD ID for 2.4 Ghz and password
> (it is 25 digits).
> Click on blue button which states "next". This has a Gif now which is
> moving in a concentric way. This I left for 30 minutes.
> No change.
> I have tried to reboot both RT-AX88U and SH3.
> I firstly tried to restart SH3, when I get a red light on front of it,
> plugging in a working Ethernet cable int the just re-started RT-AX88U,
> WAN light does not change from red to white.
>
> I reset SH3 many times, it says it is in modem mode.

Are you aware that when you switch a superhub from router mode to modem
mode makes its IP address change?

When in router mode, its 192.168.0.1

When put into Modem mode, its 192.168.100.1

Not only that when in router mode, the SH3 provides DHCP so everything
usually gets issued with an IP address.

When put into Modem mode, it does not offer DHCP mode so you will meed
to tell the Asus where to find the modem, by putting in the IP address
192.168.100.1 into the config page.

So that will probably mean you have to set teh Asus's WAN side to
something like 192.168.100.2 or similar.

Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

<t4nn5m$i2b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2175&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2175

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 00:37:08 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 2 May 2022 04:37 UTC

On 5/1/2022 2:56 PM, Dan wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> 1) Use DHCP mode on your own router
>>
>> 2) Power on your external router first.
>>
>> The Virgin Hub will only offer a DHCP address once, shortly after
>> start up (another caveat, it offered twice for the TV, suggesting
>> they play favourites with their own kit)
>>
>> 3) Ensure only your router is connected to the Virgin Hub,
>> multiple connections cause it to fall back into NAT mode
>> "
>>
>> Paul
>

> Thanks Paul,
>
> it now is not even powering up. :-(
>
> When I press the on button, the power led stays on for about one
> second, then the 2.4 and 5 Ghz leds flash white and finally the WAN
> led lights up red.
> Then it shows no led at all.
>
> What other brand do you recommend?
> This is the second Asus that has failed.
> I am on virgin media 200 Mbit and want one that is compatible with

I'm not up on the routers, so don't have a snap answer for you.

I take it the extra effort they put into pfsense, it could
be related to thruput at gigabit rates. They seem to use a
separate box for pFsense and use another device as an
Access Point (router run in AP mode). I thought (at least in
the past), that AP mode limited you to the lower Wifi standards.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88u-with-pfsense.63028/

Otherwise, I was looking for something a bit cheaper
than the AX88u, because how can you compete with the
AX88u ?

TP-Link Archer AX50 (AX3000) $160

ASUS 6-Stream Wireless AX5400 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Gaming Router (RT-AX82U) $249

Only four LAN ports on those.

The local currency price for your device is way more.

ASUS Wireless RT-AX88U AX6000 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Gaming Router (RT-AX88U) $399.99

What are the warranty terms like on that thing ?

For some of these exotic networking devices, you have
to consider cooling mods for them. My crappy little
setup, the "brain" part gets an 80mm fan :-) In older
days, people used to cut a hole for the SOC inside,
and extend a 40mm square heatsink right through the
chassis (invalidating warranty). That's because the
device might not have any vent holes at all.

I guess it would depend on whether you can find a
strong thread connection between thermal failure
and the device design.

On at least a few routers, they may have been exploited
from the outside, and that's why they're not behaving right.
But then, if it will not boot, you might not be able to re-flash it,
and even if you could re-flash it, sometimes that's not enough
to expel router malware. (I had a device once, that once the
inside of the design "partitioned", you could not force a
flash into the second part of it. Bricked.)

Since yours went downhill in a drastic way, you're right
that it is a hardware failure. Could be something power
related. I have one device here, it uses a wall adapter
with +12V output and then there is a second regulation
section inside. So it's doubly regulated. And that
gives the potential for more things to go wrong.
Since the LEDs came on for a bit, it must have had
power for a few seconds.

*******

https://www.atpeaz.com/modding-the-asus-rt-ax88u-with-a-cooling-fan/

"As you can see, the ASUS RT-AX88U‘s CPU averages at around
79°C-80°C (174°F-176°F) while both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi
modules averages around 50°C-51°C (122°F-124°F) with an
ambient temperature that averages around 30°C here in
sunny Singapore.
... [adds fan]

the ASUS RT-AX88U‘s CPU now averages at around 59°C (138°F)
while both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi modules now averages
around 41°C-43°C (106°F-110°F). That’s a 20°C drop in temperature!
"

So it wasn't hitting 100C, which would be bad if it did.

The thing that experiment doesn't account for, is
reducing the power circuit operating temperature inside.
If they use cheap electrolytics, sometimes it's an
electrolytic that didn't like the high temperatures.

Paul

Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

<t4nr7s$95g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2176&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2176

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 23:46:33 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Mon, 2 May 2022 05:46 UTC

On 5/1/2022 12:56 PM, Dan wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> 1) Use DHCP mode on your own router
>>
>> 2) Power on your external router first.
>>
>> The Virgin Hub will only offer a DHCP address once, shortly after
>> start up (another caveat, it offered twice for the TV, suggesting
>> they play favourites with their own kit)
>>
>> 3) Ensure only your router is connected to the Virgin Hub,
>> multiple connections cause it to fall back into NAT mode
>> "
>>
>> Paul
>

> Thanks Paul,
>
> it now is not even powering up. :-(
>
> When I press the on button, the power led stays on for about one
> second, then the 2.4 and 5 Ghz leds flash white and finally the WAN
> led lights up red.
> Then it shows no led at all.
>
> What other brand do you recommend?
> This is the second Asus that has failed.
> I am on virgin media 200 Mbit and want one that is compatible with

Check with your ISP. They should provide a list of all and only the
modems that they will interact with. Don't forget, they are the ones
that provision the modem with the appropriate firmware (not the modem
manufacturer). Their technical support should point you at a web page
that lists all that they will support.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

<jd9dbgFlifgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2177&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2177

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 07:51:27 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 2 May 2022 06:51 UTC

Jeff Barnett wrote:

> Check with your ISP. They should provide a list of all and only the modems that
> they will interact with.

The ISP is Virgin Media, they supply one of several models of "superhub" you
must use it, you have a choice of leaving it in router mode where is acts as a
modem+router+wifi, or you can switch it to modem mode where you supply your own
router, I suspect they will will not make any recommendation or help if it
doesn't work.

Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

<t4o13d$eop$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2178&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2178

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 03:26:36 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 2 May 2022 07:26 UTC

On 5/2/2022 1:46 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 5/1/2022 12:56 PM, Dan wrote:

>>> I started by looking for trouble:
>>>
>>> https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/SH3-Crashing-in-Modem-Mode/td-p/4831523
>>>
>>> but perhaps the observations here will help.
>>>
>>> https://www.theserpent.co.uk/posts/virgin-media-and-modem-only-mode/
>>>
>>>     "To summarise, and to use Modem only mode properly, ensure the following:
>>>
>>>      1) Use DHCP mode on your own router
>>>
>>>      2) Power on your external router first.
>>>
>>>         The Virgin Hub will only offer a DHCP address once, shortly after
>>>         start up (another caveat, it offered twice for the TV, suggesting
>>>         they play favourites with their own kit)
>>>
>>>      3) Ensure only your router is connected to the Virgin Hub,
>>>         multiple connections cause it to fall back into NAT mode
>>>     "
>>>
>>>    Paul
>>

>> Thanks Paul,
>>
>> it now is not even powering up. :-(
>>
>> When I press the on button, the power led stays on for about one
>> second, then the 2.4 and 5 Ghz leds flash white and finally the WAN
>> led lights up red.
>> Then it shows no led at all.
>>
>> What other brand do you recommend?
>> This is the second Asus that has failed.
>> I am on virgin media 200 Mbit and want one that is compatible with
>> pfsense.
>
> Check with your ISP. They should provide a list of all and only the modems that they will interact with. Don't forget, they are the ones that provision the modem with the appropriate firmware (not the modem manufacturer). Their technical support should point you at a web page that lists all that they will support.

I think his SH3 has been changed from default modem+router
mode to just modem mode. One LAN port should work, and upon
detecting the usage of one LAN port, that should be the only
LAN port working (in modem mode).

Then, a separate router is being used (RT-AX88U).

And the router appears to have severe problems at the moment
(fallen and can't get up).

*******

This isn't the same router, but this Asus item has no vent
on top, and look at the size of the heatsinks inside :-)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-died-unexpectedly-getting-hot-is-another-failure-imminent.72724/

The high temps are "all legal" in terms of the electrical engineering.
But they don't leave much margin. I prefer not to burn myself
on heatsinks, and if the CPU is 80C internal, the surface
of the heatsink could be approaching 65C with the cover off.

I've worked on products before, where laying your hand down
while scoping, *everything* is hot, and after a while...
"you get used to it". That's ECL in ceramic packages.

Paul

Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

<9j6v6h511qc94vbh2gcg2icr5rtnmd9n2l@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2180&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2180

From: dannewsg...@outlookSPAMXXX.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 09:52:42 +0100
 by: Dan - Mon, 2 May 2022 08:52 UTC

On Sun, 1 May 2022 21:16:07 +0100, SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On 01/05/2022 18:06, Dan wrote:
>> On virgin media 200 Mbit connection - SH3 set to modem mode. Computer
>> is a i5, 16GB RAM with a Samsung 1TB (48% used) SSD 99% health.
>> System: SH3 (modem mode) using upper Ethernet port 1 -> TP link switch
>> -> RT-AX88U.
>> Tried direct from SH3 to RT-AX88U. Still WAN light on RT-AX88U is red.
>> I had problem when ever I tried to log into my Asus RT-AX88U connected
>> via my TP link 5 port switch (gigabit compatible) connected to
>> RT-AX88U
>>
>> from my laptop - across the house (signal is very good), I could not
>> log into the Asus web GUI. Via my phone, when using the same wireless
>> connection and Asus app - I could
>> log into my RT-AX88U. All Ethernet cables work - I tested them before
>> I did anything.
>> So, I reset RT-AX88U, by pressing reset button for 30 seconds.
>> RT-AX88U re-booted.
>> So I tried to connect SH3 to the WAN port RT-AX88U. I rebooted SH3
>> until modem mode was re-started.
>> SH3 front light is purple.
>> Still no WAN connection as RT-AX88U WAN light stays red.
>> Went to 192.168.50.1. RT-AX88U GUI states "detecting your connection".
>> Then it automatically goes to next screen,"choose IP type".
>> I choose automatic. Next it say type SSD ID for 2.4 Ghz and password
>> (it is 25 digits).
>> Click on blue button which states "next". This has a Gif now which is
>> moving in a concentric way. This I left for 30 minutes.
>> No change.
>> I have tried to reboot both RT-AX88U and SH3.
>> I firstly tried to restart SH3, when I get a red light on front of it,
>> plugging in a working Ethernet cable int the just re-started RT-AX88U,
>> WAN light does not change from red to white.
>>
>> I reset SH3 many times, it says it is in modem mode.
>

>Are you aware that when you switch a superhub from router mode to modem
>mode makes its IP address change?
>

>When in router mode, its 192.168.0.1
>
>When put into Modem mode, its 192.168.100.1
>
>Not only that when in router mode, the SH3 provides DHCP so everything
>usually gets issued with an IP address.
>
>When put into Modem mode, it does not offer DHCP mode so you will meed
>to tell the Asus where to find the modem, by putting in the IP address
>192.168.100.1 into the config page.
>
>So that will probably mean you have to set teh Asus's WAN side to
>something like 192.168.100.2 or similar.

Thanks to all. Yes, I know about router to modem mode the IP address
changes.
When my now failed rtax88u was working, upper surface temp was a
comfortable warm.
Lower surface has a lot of long thin strips - that allowed air
movement. But I placed it above so that at least 3 cm gap was
available.
The TP link or cheaper Asus is what I am going to look at. I have no
hope in Asus UK repairing my one.
They have a very poor reputation on trust pilot UK.
Next time I will use active cooling via a 120mm case fan.

Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

<dKk*s2+My@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2181&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2181

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 02 May 2022 11:45:31 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 2 May 2022 10:45 UTC

SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
> Are you aware that when you switch a superhub from router mode to modem
> mode makes its IP address change?
>

> When in router mode, its 192.168.0.1
>
> When put into Modem mode, its 192.168.100.1
>
> Not only that when in router mode, the SH3 provides DHCP so everything
> usually gets issued with an IP address.
>
> When put into Modem mode, it does not offer DHCP mode so you will meed
> to tell the Asus where to find the modem, by putting in the IP address
> 192.168.100.1 into the config page.
>
> So that will probably mean you have to set teh Asus's WAN side to
> something like 192.168.100.2 or similar.

Hmm, when I ran a SH2 it wasn't like that. 192.168.100.1 was the IP of the
SH in modem mode, but you didn't need to assign that. You just ran the DHCP
client on the router WAN interface, which would talk to the VM headend and
assign you a public IP (in my case usually 86.x.x.x). The DHCP also set up
a route so that 192.168.100.1 'just worked' for talking to the SH2, but I
never needed to configure that. The router would then provide a DHCP server
for its LAN clients.

So if the OP has done any configuration regarding 192.168.100.1 that could
be a problem. I've not used a SH3 but I'd be surprised if you needed to
configure that. The only time you might want a special route to
192.168.100.1 is if you're using the whole of 192.168.x.x/16 space for your
LAN (which isn't a great idea).

*However* the Virgin network has a fairly tight binding on MAC addresses, so
if you change boxes around you need to power everything down for some
minutes (let's say half an hour, although it's probably more like 5 minutes)
so it lets go of the binding of your old router and is ready for your new
router to take over. This can make it look like things don't work if you're
doing lots of cable replugging to test things out.

Theo

Re: Really - do not know what to do next. Desperate.

<h4ev6hpejgeh2at49k34lm3jqja291jm6j@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2182&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2182

From: dannewsg...@outlookSPAMXXX.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 11:57:13 +0100
 by: Dan - Mon, 2 May 2022 10:57 UTC

On 02 May 2022 11:45:31 +0100 (BST), Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
>> Are you aware that when you switch a superhub from router mode to modem
>> mode makes its IP address change?
>>

>> When in router mode, its 192.168.0.1
>>
>> When put into Modem mode, its 192.168.100.1
>>
>> Not only that when in router mode, the SH3 provides DHCP so everything
>> usually gets issued with an IP address.
>>
>> When put into Modem mode, it does not offer DHCP mode so you will meed
>> to tell the Asus where to find the modem, by putting in the IP address
>> 192.168.100.1 into the config page.
>>
>> So that will probably mean you have to set teh Asus's WAN side to
>> something like 192.168.100.2 or similar.
>
>Hmm, when I ran a SH2 it wasn't like that. 192.168.100.1 was the IP of the
>SH in modem mode, but you didn't need to assign that. You just ran the DHCP
>client on the router WAN interface, which would talk to the VM headend and
>assign you a public IP (in my case usually 86.x.x.x). The DHCP also set up
>a route so that 192.168.100.1 'just worked' for talking to the SH2, but I
>never needed to configure that. The router would then provide a DHCP server
>for its LAN clients.
>
>So if the OP has done any configuration regarding 192.168.100.1 that could
>be a problem. I've not used a SH3 but I'd be surprised if you needed to
>configure that. The only time you might want a special route to
>192.168.100.1 is if you're using the whole of 192.168.x.x/16 space for your
>LAN (which isn't a great idea).
>
>*However* the Virgin network has a fairly tight binding on MAC addresses, so
>if you change boxes around you need to power everything down for some
>minutes (let's say half an hour, although it's probably more like 5 minutes)
>so it lets go of the binding of your old router and is ready for your new
>router to take over. This can make it look like things don't work if you're
>doing lots of cable replugging to test things out.
>
>Theo

Theo,

yes I did power down for at least 10 minutes. I then waited for SH3 to
show a red - purple light. Still Asus WAN was showing a red LED.