From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Clutching at Straws
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 02:52:51 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 01:52 UTC

Just had an estimate from my favoured garage that an MOT, annual
service, replacement water pump, cam belt, clutch and clutch slave
cylinder is going to cost me about two grand with VAT. The car isn't
really worth it. (A 2008 Fiat Doblo, bodywork remarkably good, on 95,000
miles) but I love that car and it suits me, being fairly high, so I can
get my gammy legs in and out easier. It is also a great caravan tow motor.

I could probably get it done cheaper elsewhere, but I trust this
company. One of the best in my area with a great reputation.

However I was warned that it could take a week or so to get the parts.

"Why" I enquired.

"Brexit," I was told. "I've been waiting for some parts longer than a
month!"

Apparently the car spares trade for foreign cars (which is nearly all of
them here) is currently in chaos due to Brexit red tape.

You don't get to hear about that on the 6 o'clock news.

Tone

Re: Clutching at Straws

<slrnu9njvj.2cm.maus@darkstar.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21788&group=uk.rec.sheds#21788

From: mau...@darkstar.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Clutching at Straws
Date: 28 Jun 2023 06:15:15 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 06:15 UTC

On 2023-06-28, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> "Why" I enquired.
>
> "Brexit," I was told. "I've been waiting for some parts longer than a
> month!"
>
> Apparently the car spares trade for foreign cars (which is nearly all of
> them here) is currently in chaos due to Brexit red tape.
>
> You don't get to hear about that on the 6 o'clock news.

It's not really brexit, its the same here, and we are still part ofthe
EU, (NI is really part of both, cute hoors. ). As always, the garages
would sooner sell you a new car than repair the old one, quicker, more
profit. My advice is to get a mechanic to repair your old one.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Boris, The Once and Future P.M.

Re: Clutching at Straws

<u7h1dj$1o8k1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21810&group=uk.rec.sheds#21810

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 11:21:05 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 10:21 UTC

Not entirely new though. I had a friend who had a Vauxhall senator, but the
only spares were from Opel, and those were in EU, and so to get the right
colour of tinted side window took nearly two months as the Vauxhall ones are
made in smaller batches. It seems things like cars that use bits from all
over the place are great when brand new, but give them a few years and the
disparate suppliers just do as they please.
Bah Humbug.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

Blind user, so no pictures please!

This document should only be read by those persons for whom Paranoia is
normal
and its contents are probably boring and confusing. If you receive this
e-Mail
message in error, do not notify the sender immediately, instead, print it
out and make
paper animals out of it. As the rest of this disclaimer is totally
incomprehensible, we have not bothered to attach it.
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
> Just had an estimate from my favoured garage that an MOT, annual service,
> replacement water pump, cam belt, clutch and clutch slave cylinder is
> going to cost me about two grand with VAT. The car isn't really worth it.
> (A 2008 Fiat Doblo, bodywork remarkably good, on 95,000 miles) but I love
> that car and it suits me, being fairly high, so I can get my gammy legs in
> and out easier. It is also a great caravan tow motor.
>
> I could probably get it done cheaper elsewhere, but I trust this company.
> One of the best in my area with a great reputation.
>
> However I was warned that it could take a week or so to get the parts.
>
> "Why" I enquired.
>
> "Brexit," I was told. "I've been waiting for some parts longer than a
> month!"
>
> Apparently the car spares trade for foreign cars (which is nearly all of
> them here) is currently in chaos due to Brexit red tape.
>
> You don't get to hear about that on the 6 o'clock news.
>
> Tone

Re: Clutching at Straws

<6qao9i9fvmdh8g026v7n17r1ijijn57tgv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21826&group=uk.rec.sheds#21826

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 08:52:48 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 12:52 UTC

On 28 Jun 2023 06:15:15 GMT, maus <maus@darkstar.org> wrote:

>On 2023-06-28, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>> "Why" I enquired.
>>
>> "Brexit," I was told. "I've been waiting for some parts longer than a
>> month!"
>>
>> Apparently the car spares trade for foreign cars (which is nearly all of
>> them here) is currently in chaos due to Brexit red tape.
>>
>> You don't get to hear about that on the 6 o'clock news.
>>

>It's not really brexit, its the same here, and we are still part ofthe
>EU, (NI is really part of both, cute hoors. ). As always, the garages
>would sooner sell you a new car than repair the old one, quicker, more
>profit. My advice is to get a mechanic to repair your old one.

There was a news story recently here < Canada / USA >
about Kia owners having their cars sit at the dealership for
_months_ awaiting parts for their defective engine repairs
/ replacements .. some 2 l. gasoline engines had internal
defects that caused the premature failures - the company
offered 10-year / lifetime warranty but the parts supply was
unable to keep up with demand ..
I own 2 such Kia cars .. so far so good - but it doesn't
inspire confidence nor help the re-sale or trade-in value ..
John T.