Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 22:10:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Southampton Bike Park reopens after major revamp
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 06:10 UTC

Southampton Bike Park has officially reopened with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Bikers gathered at the trails in Southampton Sports Centre yesterday to take part in the official opening and show off their skills.

The major revamp comes as part of a multi-million pound project to improve the Sports Centre.

The improvements include a new start hill, three all-weathered trails with a dedicated push-up and a new advanced jump trail.

A fence has also been installed around the park to ensure the safety of riders and members of the public.

Luis Arnold, founder of Southampton Bike Park, said: "Just over a decade ago me and a couple of volunteers began working on this bit of hillside building by hand.

"Last year we were lucky enough to have a load of money invested in the park.

"We were able to improve three of the trails, add a fence, and improve it in places that really needed it.

"We're happy with how it's turned out, the biggest thing for us is being able to have people riding all year round.

"We now have an all-weather surface which means we don't have to get really muddy.

"It's a great place for people to come after school, after work, or ride at the weekend with your family and friends."

Louis Hopkins has been visiting Southampton Bike Park for nine years.

He said: "It means a lot to me seeing [the park] grow from the little tiny park that it used to be to what it is now.

"I originally came from BMX racing but when I moved to Southampton this was my nearest track and it got me more into the mountain biking side of things.

"Anyone can ride up here, it's free to ride.

"You can ride over most of the jumps here so there's no big commitment, you can go at your own pace and just have fun."

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/23279315.southampton-bike-park-reopens-major-revamp/

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Southampton Bike Park reopens after major revamp