From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Axminster and Lyme
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 21:34:28 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 20:34 UTC

I noticed this whilst looking something else, thought it might of
interest to someone.

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette - Tuesday 07 July 1903
Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

The green sand and bog crossed by the railway between Axminster and Lyme
have proved sources of great trouble. The viaduct near Uplyme struck a
soft spot. So the opening of the line has been delayed pending the
carrying out of some extensive additions to the viaduct. I think the
South-Western Railway are making this their business, and some millions
of bricks are being utilised. The station at Lyme is at the head of the
town, in a corresponding position to the station at Sidmouth.

Re: Axminster and Lyme

<ijhvuqFj4t0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2194&group=uk.railway#2194

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Axminster and Lyme
Date: 23 Jun 2021 23:55:06 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:55 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> I noticed this whilst looking something else, thought it might of
> interest to someone.
>

> Exeter and Plymouth Gazette - Tuesday 07 July 1903
> Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
>
> The green sand and bog crossed by the railway between Axminster and Lyme
> have proved sources of great trouble. The viaduct near Uplyme struck a
> soft spot. So the opening of the line has been delayed pending the
> carrying out of some extensive additions to the viaduct. I think the
> South-Western Railway are making this their business, and some millions
> of bricks are being utilised. The station at Lyme is at the head of the
> town, in a corresponding position to the station at Sidmouth.

The Cornish Railways website isn’t shy of mentioning lines in the other
counties of the SouthWest
and has some photos of the how the reinforcement appears down the page on
this link.

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/axminster-to-lyme-regis-branch.html

About 15 years the route came into the optimistic dreams of some people who
were proposing reopening some lines and new construction of a narrow gauge
system in West Dorset.
Their somewhat unrealistic proposals can be read here.

https://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/990827.bluebell-line-back-on-track/

They were hoping that choosing the Weymouth area for the 2012 Olympics
sailing events would see their ideas backed by funding to transport the
huge crowds anticipated , in the end the large fleet of buses laid on were
hardly used.

Despite that the promoters occasionally revamp the proposals as mentioned
here.

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/brit-valley-jurassic-coast-railway.16697/
..
Jurassic Coast Railways is still listed as an active company.

Full marks for optimism I suppose.

GH.

Re: Axminster and Lyme

<sb1bav$v73$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2206&group=uk.railway#2206

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 08:13:34 +0100
 by: MB - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 07:13 UTC

On 24/06/2021 00:55, Marland wrote:
> They were hoping that choosing the Weymouth area for the 2012 Olympics
> sailing events would see their ideas backed by funding to transport the
> huge crowds anticipated , in the end the large fleet of buses laid on were
> hardly used.

No surprise, years ago there was a big international cycling event here.
There was a condition about keeping traffic off the roads so they got
the authorities to spend millions on a cycle track that bypassed the
road. It gets some leisure cyclists but spectators always seem to use
their cars or buses.