From: off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Ramprakash on 50-over Cricket
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:40:26 +0100
 by: HVS - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 14:40 UTC

SOme interesting points in this, I thought:

https://tinyurl.com/27rt3wbh

which points to

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/23/ben-stokess-odi-exit-
could-be-beginning-of-the-end-for-50-over-cricket

--
Cheers, Harvey

Re: Ramprakash on 50-over Cricket

<8m4odhdlkspirv9q7r2ut73t0hh6rlhgmo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21893&group=uk.sport.cricket#21893

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Ramprakash on 50-over Cricket
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 16:33:56 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:33 UTC

On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:40:26 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
wrote:

>SOme interesting points in this, I thought:
>
>https://tinyurl.com/27rt3wbh
>
>which points to
>
>https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/23/ben-stokess-odi-exit-
>could-be-beginning-of-the-end-for-50-over-cricket

The point Ramprakash fails to address, and which as far as I can see
has been ignored by nearly everybody who's commented on this, is what
the object of the 50-over format is. Seriously competitive games seem
to be a rarity, even with England adopting the unusual tactic of
batting badly first up and bowling sublimely to defend the miserable
total, which at least adds unpredictability to the mix.

I understand max's point about the likes of Ireland, Scotland and the
Netherlands getting more exposure to playing for longer than 20 overs,
but if you want England, India or Australia to take the format
seriously in the future, it's got to be more than that.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Ramprakash on 50-over Cricket

<eddodht1aq2vfg10u9hofs4bk0id3ipb8b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21895&group=uk.sport.cricket#21895

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 19:02:51 +0100
 by: max.it - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 18:02 UTC

On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 16:33:56 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:40:26 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>SOme interesting points in this, I thought:
>>
>>https://tinyurl.com/27rt3wbh
>>
>>which points to
>>
>>https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/23/ben-stokess-odi-exit-
>>could-be-beginning-of-the-end-for-50-over-cricket
>
>The point Ramprakash fails to address, and which as far as I can see
>has been ignored by nearly everybody who's commented on this, is what
>the object of the 50-over format is. Seriously competitive games seem
>to be a rarity, even with England adopting the unusual tactic of
>batting badly first up and bowling sublimely to defend the miserable
>total, which at least adds unpredictability to the mix.
>
>I understand max's point about the likes of Ireland, Scotland and the
>Netherlands getting more exposure to playing for longer than 20 overs,
>but if you want England, India or Australia to take the format
>seriously in the future, it's got to be more than that.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike

The object is the same as it always was. To get a result in a day.
T20 gets a result in an evening.
I'd like to see single innings declaration matches played more here,
we only have them for random friendly games. I think it would be
helpful here where players can end up gong from 50 overs to 3 days
matches in one step.

max.it