From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Encrypted drive - computer failure - recovery?
Date: 17 May 2022 09:26:40 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 17 May 2022 09:26 UTC

Just helping someone with a dead laptop (apparently just won't power up).

The plan is to extract the M.2 SSD and use an adapter to recover the
contents to the new laptop.

However I just wondered if the drive could be encrypted.
Probably not, however....

If you have a laptop or desktop where the drive is encrypted I am assuming
that you rely on the motherboard to encrypt and decrypt.

In which case, if the motherboard fails is the data very secure? So secure
you cannot recover it?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Encrypted drive - computer failure - recovery?

<jeh8mvF9qt2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2197&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2197

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Encrypted drive - computer failure - recovery?
Date: 17 May 2022 09:37:35 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 17 May 2022 09:37 UTC

On 17 May 2022 at 10:26:40 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Just helping someone with a dead laptop (apparently just won't power up).
>
> The plan is to extract the M.2 SSD and use an adapter to recover the
> contents to the new laptop.
>
> However I just wondered if the drive could be encrypted.
> Probably not, however....
>
> If you have a laptop or desktop where the drive is encrypted I am assuming
> that you rely on the motherboard to encrypt and decrypt.

Depends. Modern Windows will handle the entire encrypt and key storage
in software if needed. If the laptop has a TPM module, the key may be in
there instead. There are at least three generations of Windows
whole-drive encryption that work slightly differently.

Older business laptops (early 2000s) had "tie this HDD to this mobo" in
bios, but I've not seen that in a while - pre-m.2, anyway.

> In which case, if the motherboard fails is the data very secure? So secure
> you cannot recover it?

Yes, that's absolutely the point after all.

Most important: Does the user have a password or recovery key, or
recovery file on a USB stick? If not, there's no point worrying about it
- you won't get it decrypted anyway, if it is encrypted.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Thank you for your input. Now, if you have something
substantive to bring to the discussion, kindly do.