Life. Don't talk to me about life. -- Marvin the Paranoid Android

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

SubjectAuthor
* Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsPeter Granger
+* Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTubeSpike
|+- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTubeSpike
+- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTubeSpike
+* Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsPeter Granger
||`- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsPeter Granger
|`- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsJNugent
+* Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsJNugent
|`* Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTubeSpike
+* Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTubeSpike
+* Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTubeSpike
`* Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTubeSpike
 `- Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accountsSimon Mason

1
Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<d50c78e5-4dcd-4baf-8ec2-1a1fbfa4a22bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22045&group=uk.rec.cycling#22045

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:19:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts
after social media pile-on
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 20:19 UTC

SOME VIOLENT UNHINGED NUTCASE DRIVER THUGS OUT THERE.

An Edinburgh cyclist who earlier this week submitted footage to Police Scotland of 12 drivers illegally using handheld mobile phones at the wheel has deleted his Twitter and YouTube accounts after being targeted with sustained abuse on social media – with some of those involved in the pile-on urging people in London to take similar action against helmet camera user CyclingMikey.

Using a handheld communications device while driving is punishable by a £200 fine and six penalty points, even if the vehicle is stationary, and many police forces welcome submissions of footage of motorists flouting the law so that action can be taken against them.

On Wednesday, we reported how one of those motorists filmed by cyclist Deacon Thurston had previously been spotted breaking the law by him using their phone while driving at the exact location where his latest footage had been captured.

Thurston regularly posted videos of law-breaking drivers to his now-deleted social media channels, and also featured a number of times in the local press – making him a target for some Twitter users.

And according to a screengrab shared on Twitter by DalstonLTN of a tweet from one user of the social network, it was a co-ordinated attack on Thurston that led to him deleting his accounts.

“Today, a mob of ‘decent’ people harassed a cyclist for reporting a driver playing a game on his mobile phone,” wrote DalstonLTN, with the screengrabbed tweet applauding “a victory for decent people” in forcing Thurston off social media, and retweeting a post which read “Deacon Thurston is a grass – pass it on..”

One of the people replying to that screenshotted tweet wrote: “Gorgie and Lochend combined to take down @deaconthurston – it’s time for the London football brethren to unite and take down @MikeyCycling C’mon all Arsenal/Spurs/etc fans, you know what to do.”

That post was written by a Heart of Midlothian fan, with the club’s Tynecastle stadium located in the Gorgie district in the west of the Scottish capital, while cross-city rivals Hibernian’s ground lies next on Easter Road, next to the area of Lochend.

One cargo bike rider replying to DalstonLTN joked that trying to unite fans of the two North London football clubs might be wishful thinking, saying: “Fortunately, not even helmet camera cyclists are sufficient to get Arsenal and Spurs fans t o agree on anything. Unless the cammer in question supports Chelsea ofc..”

More seriously, a selection of comments made on social media about Thurston makes for uncomfortable reading, including extreme insults as well as threats of violence.

DalstonLTN pointed out that while Thurston had deleted his account, the ones that those comments were still active on the social network and asked Twitter Support: “When a thousand people insult, threaten with violence, wish harm, harass, encourage hate against someone reporting a driving offense, what is your process?

One Twitter user pointed out that the platform expressly prohibits posting the type of abuse directed at Thurston, and urged fellow users to report those engaging in it.

Another said: “If the videos themselves weren't enough, this reaction shows just how normalised this behaviour is.

“Does anyone really believe someone playing a [video] game in traffic is going to carefully put it away, and move off safely, once the car ahead moves?

On the same day as Thurston tweeted to say that he had filmed a dozen drivers using handheld mobile phones illegally, Detective Chief Superintendent Andy Cox of Lincolnshire Police, the national lead for fatal collision investigation, tweeted his thanks to members of the public who submit such footage.
“We will never know how many lives have been saved, but in my opinion, this approach is certainly life-saving,” he wrote. “Police and the Public working together to reduce road danger.”

In response to one Twitter user who suggested that mobile phone use was only a factor in 0.02 per cent of the 1,870 road deaths in 2019, DCS Cox replied: “29 people lost their life in a crash due to phone distraction in 2018 (20 last year),” equivalent to 0.37 of those deaths.

“That’s many lives lost needlessly because of the criminal actions of those selfish drivers,” he added:

“Please do not down play this criminality or belittle the benefits of road crime reporting.”

And just today the senior police officer congratulated a Twitter user who said that they had stopped using a handheld mobile phone while driving thanks to the efforts of campaigners such as CyclingMikey.

https://road.cc/content/news/helmet-cam-cyclist-deletes-youtubs-twitter-after-pile-298933

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<522b16e6-8a8a-48d3-adcc-3fabe72a8082n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22051&group=uk.rec.cycling#22051

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 16:39:45 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: PeterGra...@protonmail.com (Peter Granger)
 by: Peter Granger - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 00:39 UTC

On Saturday, 28 January 2023 at 20:19:38 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> “We will never know how many lives have been saved, but in my opinion, this approach is certainly life-saving,” he wrote. “Police and the Public working together to reduce road danger.”
>
> In response to one Twitter user who suggested that mobile phone use was only a factor in 0.02 per cent of the 1,870 road deaths in 2019, DCS Cox replied: “29 people lost their life in a crash due to phone distraction in 2018 (20 last year),” equivalent to 0.37 of those deaths.
>
> “That’s many lives lost needlessly because of the criminal actions of those selfish drivers,” he added:
>
> “Please do not down play this criminality or belittle the benefits of road crime reporting.”
>
> And just today the senior police officer congratulated a Twitter user who said that they had stopped using a handheld mobile phone while driving thanks to the efforts of campaigners such as CyclingMikey.

Another post of yours that we can cite when you complain bitterly in the future about people reporting fairy-cyclists and having them prosecuted with the aid of facial recognition.

Let’s hope the reaction to this wanker’s shit-stirring has a chilling effect on the whole sorry “movement”.

Persecuting delivery drivers because you disapprove of their method of transport is particularly moronic; how exactly do you and this twat think goods reach shops? You’d be the first to whinge about shortages resulting from drivers being fired.

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<cf611e6a-527e-43bd-89d1-950b160d21e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22056&group=uk.rec.cycling#22056

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 22:36:03 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 06:36 UTC

eburtthebike | 3991 posts | 7 hours ago
4 likes
The appalling actions of the entitled motorists, hounding someone proving that they are illegal, dangerous and callous, from social media should be called out, and the companies involved should be banning those people. Anyone condoning their actions or excusing the phone drivers should be forced to attend the inquests of the next road death in their area, and to talk to the family and friends of the deceased; maybe then they'll understand that this isn't a victimless crime.

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<k3mu4fFg6g4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22060&group=uk.rec.cycling#22060

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube
accounts after social media pile-on
Date: 29 Jan 2023 09:55:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 09:55 UTC

> eburtthebike | 3991 posts | 7 hours ago
> 4 likes

> The appalling actions of the entitled motorists, hounding someone proving
> that they are illegal, dangerous and callous, from social media should be
> called out, and the companies involved should be banning those people.

Contrast the attitude of the ‘Little Cyclist’ comments above, with those
from cyclists who support the punching and kicking by their fellows of
septuagenarians who have the temerity to complain about pavement cycling -
which, of course, is also illegal.

Why is such ignorance and double standards so prevalent among cyclists?

> Anyone condoning their actions or excusing the phone drivers should be
> forced to attend the inquests of the next road death in their area, and
> to talk to the family and friends of the deceased; maybe then they'll
> understand that this isn't a victimless crime.

Neither is the violence all too regularly meted out by cyclists a
victimless crime. Such cyclists should be forced to attend an A&E ward for
48 hours from 6pm on a Friday, and talk to victims and their families about
violence and it’s effects. Then they might, just might, realise what they
are doing.

--
Spike

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<k3mu4eFg6g4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22061&group=uk.rec.cycling#22061

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
accounts after social media pile-on
Date: 29 Jan 2023 09:55:26 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 09:55 UTC

swldx...@gmail.com
wrote:

> And just today the senior police officer congratulated a Twitter user who
> said that they had stopped using a handheld mobile phone while driving
> thanks to the efforts of campaigners such as CyclingMikey.

> https://road.cc/content/news/helmet-cam-cyclist-deletes-youtubs-twitter-after-pile-298933

In my view and judging by his actions, van Twerp needs to seek grief
counselling as a matter of urgency. But one wouldn’t expect a ’senior
police officer’ to say that in public.

--
Spike

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<be7be34a-13aa-418f-994e-0bc8bf13ab7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22065&group=uk.rec.cycling#22065

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 03:38:50 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 11:38 UTC

eburtthebike | 3992 posts | 2 hours ago
3 likes
This is now happening to Cycling Mikey, with faked screenshots accusing him of being a paedo. https://twitter.com/cybergibbons/status/1619451655904428033 (link is external)
Someone altered some wiki page on him recently.
Highly offensive and libellous.
I'm not going to state the content though

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<14a5c8a2-cf85-44e3-bf0d-ebf866410aecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22068&group=uk.rec.cycling#22068

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 04:07:22 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: PeterGra...@protonmail.com (Peter Granger)
 by: Peter Granger - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 12:07 UTC

On Sunday, 29 January 2023 at 11:38:52 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> eburtthebike | 3992 posts | 2 hours ago
> 3 likes
> This is now happening to Cycling Mikey, with faked screenshots accusing him of being a paedo. https://twitter.com/cybergibbons/status/1619451655904428033 (link is external)
>
> Someone altered some wiki page on him recently.
> Highly offensive and libellous.
> I'm not going to state the content though

Does that prick know you keep quoting his drivel here? Miss him, do you? If he wanted to call me back here and get his star handed to him then he presumably would.

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<eae2cb13-683a-4287-9be4-0740b81121d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22069&group=uk.rec.cycling#22069

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 04:08:26 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: PeterGra...@protonmail.com (Peter Granger)
 by: Peter Granger - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 12:08 UTC

On Sunday, 29 January 2023 at 12:07:23 UTC, Peter Granger wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 January 2023 at 11:38:52 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > eburtthebike | 3992 posts | 2 hours ago
> > 3 likes
> > This is now happening to Cycling Mikey, with faked screenshots accusing him of being a paedo. https://twitter.com/cybergibbons/status/1619451655904428033 (link is external)
> >
> > Someone altered some wiki page on him recently.
> > Highly offensive and libellous.
> > I'm not going to state the content though
> Does that prick know you keep quoting his drivel here? Miss him, do you? If he wanted to call me back here and get his star handed to him then he presumably would.

* come back here

* arse handed to him

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<97b34caf-e23b-445e-b18d-d22bc731b057n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22094&group=uk.rec.cycling#22094

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 06:02:02 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:02 UTC

On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 8:19:38 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> SOME VIOLENT UNHINGED NUTCASE DRIVER THUGS OUT THERE.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to hirsute | 4398 posts | 3 hours ago
3 likes
Yes, those changes happened around the same time a multiple-PBU was changing wiki's under their first PBU name on there, then referencing the changes here with his latest one.* Of course it might not have been them as those vile statements happened from an ip address account, not a named one although they did seem to happen in the period the named account was suspended. Probably just coincidence.

I wonder, from Jack's comments, whether the PBU is constantly emailing them about being banned again in a similar way he seemed to be arguing with Wiki mods on there..

*the one when he pretended to not be English and used offensive characteristics on how someone foreign might interact. Of course his "supporters" didn't seem to answer when asked if they thought that was being racist.

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<k3nd28Fia47U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22099&group=uk.rec.cycling#22099

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
after social media pile-on
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:10:16 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:10 UTC

On 29/01/2023 12:39 am, Peter Granger wrote:

> [...]

>> And just today the senior police officer congratulated a Twitter user who said that they had stopped using a handheld mobile phone while driving thanks to the efforts of campaigners such as CyclingMikey.
>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/helmet-cam-cyclist-deletes-youtubs-twitter-after-pile-298933
>
> Another post of yours that we can cite when you complain bitterly in the future about people reporting fairy-cyclists and having them prosecuted with the aid of facial recognition.
> Let’s hope the reaction to this wanker’s shit-stirring has a chilling effect on the whole sorry “movement”.
> Persecuting delivery drivers because you disapprove of their method of transport is particularly moronic; how exactly do you and this twat think goods reach shops? You’d be the first to whinge about shortages resulting from drivers being fired.

He even reckons that private ambulances should be prevented from
discharging or loading their cargo outside the premises of undertakers.

He genuinely "thinks" that the contents of the ambulance should be
offloaded in the nearest car-park and manually carried along the various
streets between there and the destination premises. He *said* so.

Was there ever a poster thicker and less sociopathic than Mason?

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<k3nd47Fia47U7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22100&group=uk.rec.cycling#22100

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
after social media pile-on
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:11:19 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:11 UTC

On 29/01/2023 11:38 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> eburtthebike | 3992 posts | 2 hours ago
> 3 likes
> This is now happening to Cycling Mikey, with faked screenshots accusing him of being a paedo. https://twitter.com/cybergibbons/status/1619451655904428033 (link is external)
>
> Someone altered some wiki page on him recently.
> Highly offensive and libellous.
> I'm not going to state the content though

Would you seriously claim that he hadn't *asked* for it?

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<6632d46b-5e3d-43e5-8df8-4b4e3d7fe92bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22102&group=uk.rec.cycling#22102

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 06:12:19 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:12 UTC

On Sunday, January 29, 2023 at 6:36:05 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> eburtthebike | 3991 posts | 7 hours ago
> 4 likes
> The appalling actions of the entitled motorists, hounding someone proving that they are illegal, dangerous and callous, from social media should be called out, and the companies involved should be banning those people. Anyone condoning their actions or excusing the phone drivers should be forced to attend the inquests of the next road death in their area, and to talk to the family and friends of the deceased; maybe then they'll understand that this isn't a victimless crime.

Went for a walk yesterday. Involved country lanes at times. Not many drivers slow enough or give space.
Audi driver thought it was fine to do 40 past us.
Many appear to think it's the Peds job to get out of the way regardless of the road, lack of pavement.

I doubt many are aware of the H rules.

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<k3nd6cFia47U8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22104&group=uk.rec.cycling#22104

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
after social media pile-on
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:12:28 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:12 UTC

> On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 8:19:38 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> SOME VIOLENT UNHINGED NUTCASE DRIVER THUGS OUT THERE.
>>
> AlsoSomniloquism replied to hirsute | 4398 posts | 3 hours ago
> 3 likes
>
> Yes, those changes happened around the same time a multiple-PBU was changing wiki's under their first PBU name on there, then referencing the changes here with his latest one.* Of course it might not have been them as those vile statements happened from an ip address account, not a named one although they did seem to happen in the period the named account was suspended. Probably just coincidence.
>
> I wonder, from Jack's comments, whether the PBU is constantly emailing them about being banned again in a similar way he seemed to be arguing with Wiki mods on there..
>
> *the one when he pretended to not be English and used offensive characteristics on how someone foreign might interact. Of course his "supporters" didn't seem to answer when asked if they thought that was being racist.

Seven lines of gibberish.

Oh... it was Mason.

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<60882801-86a8-481d-881c-cedc4fec8594n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22107&group=uk.rec.cycling#22107

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 06:14:49 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:14 UTC

BIRMINGHAMisaDUMP | 710 posts | 6 hours ago
3 likes

If only there were more Traffic Police out there.

....on bicycles, catching mobile phone using drivers.

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<k3ndo3FifkvU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22110&group=uk.rec.cycling#22110

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
after social media pile-on
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:21:55 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:21 UTC

On 29/01/2023 02:10 pm, JNugent wrote:
> [...]
>> the future about people reporting fairy-cyclists and having them
>> prosecuted with the aid of facial recognition.
>> Let’s hope the reaction to this wanker’s shit-stirring has a chilling
>> effect on the whole sorry “movement”.
>> Persecuting delivery drivers because you disapprove of their method of
>> transport is particularly moronic; how exactly do you and this twat
>> think goods reach shops? You’d be the first to whinge about shortages
>> resulting from drivers being fired.
>
> He even reckons that private ambulances should be prevented from
> discharging or loading their cargo outside the premises of undertakers.
>
> He genuinely "thinks" that the contents of the ambulance should be
> offloaded in the nearest car-park and manually carried along the various
> streets between there and the destination premises. He *said* so.
>
> Was there ever a poster thicker and less sociopathic than Mason?

ERRATUM:

"less sociopathic" should, of course, have been rendered "more sociopathic".

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<d7a3813e-1551-4b65-8478-0e235fff57e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22113&group=uk.rec.cycling#22113

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 06:29:39 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:29 UTC

belugabob | 238 posts | 12 min ago
0 likes
1/ Anybody calling somebody else a grass or a snitch, would appear to have questionable ethics/morals themselves.

2/ The irony of a twitter user with a relatively anonymous handle calling somebody, who uses their real name, a coward is probably lost on the accuser.

3/ I wonder how many of the threatening posts were made by professional' drivers, and what their employers would think about their attitude towards road safety?

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<k3ni4rFj6ldU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22118&group=uk.rec.cycling#22118

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
accounts after social media pile-on
Date: 29 Jan 2023 15:36:59 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 15:36 UTC

> BIRMINGHAMisaDUMP | 710 posts | 6 hours ago
> 3 likes

> If only there were more Traffic Police out there.

> ...on bicycles, catching mobile phone using drivers.

They could be better employed catching rapists, but in the cycling world a
‘close pass’ is far worse then sexual violence, such being the warped mind
of the cyclist.

--
Spike

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<k3nib9Fj7npU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22119&group=uk.rec.cycling#22119

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
accounts after social media pile-on
Date: 29 Jan 2023 15:40:26 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 15:40 UTC

> belugabob | 238 posts | 12 min ago
> 0 likes
>
> 1/ Anybody calling somebody else a grass or a snitch, would appear to
> have questionable ethics/morals themselves.
>
> 2/ The irony of a twitter user with a relatively anonymous handle calling
> somebody, who uses their real name, a coward is probably lost on the accuser.
>
> 3/ I wonder how many of the threatening posts were made by professional'
> drivers, and what their employers would think about their attitude towards road safety?

It just could be that some of the comments were made by cyclists who were
appalled at the thought of the very negative view of cycling that this one
self-appointed vigilante brought to the public’s attention.

--
Spike

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<05c0c6a4-e035-49d8-8417-6198763e520cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22126&group=uk.rec.cycling#22126

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 08:41:51 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 16:41 UTC

mattw | 427 posts | 15 min ago
0 likes
I'm also missing the @NaughtyDrivers account, which has vanished too.

My comments are:

1 - Malicious Communications Act may be applicable.

2 - Whilst we need standard bearers (and CyclingMikey in particular is excellent), a movement which is nameless and faceless is perhaps a stronger long-term alternative in some ways.

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<k3nmkpFjs2hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22131&group=uk.rec.cycling#22131

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
accounts after social media pile-on
Date: 29 Jan 2023 16:53:45 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 16:53 UTC

> mattw | 427 posts | 15 min ago
> 0 likes
>
> I'm also missing the @NaughtyDrivers account, which has vanished too.

> My comments are:
>
> 1 - Malicious Communications Act may be applicable.

> 2 - Whilst we need standard bearers (and CyclingMikey in particular is
> excellent), a movement which is nameless and faceless is perhaps a
> stronger long-term alternative in some ways.

I think you left out the quality of shamelessness.

--
Spike

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<cbaf5353-e92b-4cc4-8f69-fd9943f4e8cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22134&group=uk.rec.cycling#22134

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 08:57:16 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 16:57 UTC

I believe there is an error in the article in that Mr Thurston's original tweet (screenshot below) did not say that he had reported the dozen drivers, he said that he didn't because Police Scotland's refusal to adopt an online portal submissions process meant that it would take him two hours for each one and he didn't have time, so he was posting to protest against the fact that PS are making it so difficult to report illegal driving.

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<k3nqe9FkecbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22144&group=uk.rec.cycling#22144

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
accounts after social media pile-on
Date: 29 Jan 2023 17:58:33 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 17:58 UTC

> I believe there is an error in the article in that Mr Thurston's original
> tweet (screenshot below) did not say that he had reported the dozen
> drivers, he said that he didn't because Police Scotland's refusal to
> adopt an online portal submissions process meant that it would take him
> two hours for each one and he didn't have time, so he was posting to
> protest against the fact that PS are making it so difficult to report illegal driving.

Didn’t end well, did it?

--
Spike

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<f20e08da-1f6f-423a-8dae-5ed170a0adcbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22148&group=uk.rec.cycling#22148

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 10:12:08 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 18:12 UTC

BalladOfStruth | 400 posts | 46 min ago
3 likes
This doesn’t surprise me in the least. Take a look at the comments on social media whenever there’s a post by a Road Policing Unit either mentioning speeding/speed cameras or stopping unroadworthy vehicles. It’s 99.99% bile and claims that this is all just a "waste of Police time" and that they should be out there "catching robbers and murderers".

People just don’t think driving offences are “real crime”, they don’t see the issue with being 5-10mph over the limit, or using the phone at low speeds, or having bald tyres, etc. The fact that “decent people just driving around, minding their own business” kills 3.5 times more people per year than “real” violent crime, is something that seems to be lost on most people in the UK

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<k3o052FlaifU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22160&group=uk.rec.cycling#22160

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
accounts after social media pile-on
Date: 29 Jan 2023 19:36:02 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 19:36 UTC

——-

Compared with the year ending March 2021 they show:

the number of homicides increased by 25% to 710 offences; this is a similar
level to the year ending March 2020 where there were 714 offences [note 3]

a 10% increase in the number of police recorded offences involving knives
or sharp instruments (knife-enabled crime) to 49,027 offences; this
remained lower than the year ending March 2020 where there were 55,078
offences

Given the user need for domestic abuse and sexual assault data from the
CSEW, we present prevalence estimates based on six months of CSEW data
collected between October 2021 and March 2022. These estimates are based on
a smaller sample size than usual and should be treated with caution. They
showed:

5.7% of adults aged 16 to 59 years experienced domestic abuse in the year
ending March 2022, no significant change compared with the year ending
March 2020 (6.1%)

2.7% of adults aged 16 to 59 years had experienced sexual assault
(including attempted offences) in the year ending March 2022, no
significant change compared with the year ending March 2020 (2.2%)

——-

BollockOfStruth should get real.

--
Spike

Re: Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on

<058855e4-650c-4eea-b609-34101bec9289n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22162&group=uk.rec.cycling#22162

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 11:44:10 -0800 (PST)
after social media pile-on
From: swldxer2...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 19:44 UTC

On Sunday, 29 January 2023 at 18:12:10 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> BalladOfStruth | 400 posts | 46 min ago
> 3 likes
>
> This doesn’t surprise me in the least. Take a look at the comments on social media whenever there’s a post by a Road Policing Unit either mentioning speeding/speed cameras or stopping unroadworthy vehicles. It’s 99.99% bile and claims that this is all just a "waste of Police time" and that they should be out there "catching robbers and murderers".
>
> People just don’t think driving offences are “real crime”, they don’t see the issue with being 5-10mph over the limit, or using the phone at low speeds, or having bald tyres, etc. The fact that “decent people just driving around, minding their own business” kills 3.5 times more people per year than “real” violent crime, is something that seems to be lost on most people in the UK

Spot on - drivers moaning "haven't you got better things to do than nick motorists breaking the law?"

THAT'S THEIR JOB, YOU MORON.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Edinburgh helmet cam cyclist deletes Twitter and YouTube accounts after social media pile-on