OS/2 must die!

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: iPad third generation

SubjectAuthor
* SOT: iPad third generationScott
+- Re: SOT: iPad third generationKoopa
+* Re: SOT: iPad third generationAndy Burns
|`* Re: SOT: iPad third generationTweed
| `- Re: SOT: iPad third generationScott
+* Re: iPad third generationBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|`* Re: iPad third generationKoopa
| `* Re: iPad third generationBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|  `- Re: iPad third generationTweed
`* Re: SOT: iPad third generationTim+
 `- Re: SOT: iPad third generationScott

1
SOT: iPad third generation

<2a209g5oos6j1p57lsp6ql1q03d375j57l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22229&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22229

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: SOT: iPad third generation
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 15:41:04 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 3 May 2021 14:41 UTC

A friend of mine received a 3rd generation iPad as a present eight
years ago, which she has hardly used and the battery has been
discharged for a long time. She doesn't want it.

Is leaving the battery discharged likely to have damaged it? Will
iOS9.3.5 (which I understand it can support) run BBC iPlayer and Zoom
without difficulty? I am thinking about making an offer, but I don't
want to take advantage. Would £100 be a reasonable premium price? I
don't know the memory but I could find out.

(I assume it is 3rd gen as it has 30 pin connector, but I need to
check it is not 2nd gen.)

Re: SOT: iPad third generation

<s6p2lc$1j1s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22231&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22231

From: koo...@troopa.net (Koopa)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: SOT: iPad third generation
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 14:51:24 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Koopa - Mon, 3 May 2021 14:51 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> (I assume it is 3rd gen as it has 30 pin connector, but I need to
> check it is not 2nd gen.)

I sold my iPad 2 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G for £ 80 just over two years ago.

Re: SOT: iPad third generation

<ifah31Fbat4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22232&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22232

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 15:53:21 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 3 May 2021 14:53 UTC

Scott wrote:

> A friend of mine received a 3rd generation iPad as a present eight
> years ago, which she has hardly used and the battery has been
> discharged for a long time. She doesn't want it.
>
> Is leaving the battery discharged likely to have damaged it?

could have, I have a nokia tablet that even a few months without power
has ended up unable to charge, or even boot when it has USB power.

> Will iOS9.3.5 (which I understand it can support) run BBC iPlayer and
> Zoom without difficulty?

Pass

> I am thinking about making an offer, but I don't want to take
> advantage. Would £100 be a reasonable premium price? I don't know
> the memory but I could find out.

Somewhere between CEX's buy and sell price, I expect would be
reasonable, depending on the flash size

<https://uk.webuy.com/search/?stext=ipad%203rd>

Re: SOT: iPad third generation

<s6p3nu$8uq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22234&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22234

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 15:09:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:/+opHKBUr9H5zzokE3qTT24KkDU=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 3 May 2021 15:09 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine received a 3rd generation iPad as a present eight
>> years ago, which she has hardly used and the battery has been
>> discharged for a long time. She doesn't want it.
>>
>> Is leaving the battery discharged likely to have damaged it?
>
> could have, I have a nokia tablet that even a few months without power
> has ended up unable to charge, or even boot when it has USB power.
>
>> Will iOS9.3.5 (which I understand it can support) run BBC iPlayer and
>> Zoom without difficulty?
>
> Pass
>
>> I am thinking about making an offer, but I don't want to take
>> advantage. Would £100 be a reasonable premium price? I don't know
>> the memory but I could find out.
>
> Somewhere between CEX's buy and sell price, I expect would be
> reasonable, depending on the flash size
>
> <https://uk.webuy.com/search/?stext=ipad%203rd>

iPlayer needs at least iOS 12

Up to and including the 4th generation you are largely out of luck. These
are 32 bit devices and most app developers have given up 32 bit support
these days.

Re: iPad third generation

<s6p6ai$sk8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22237&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22237

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: iPad third generation
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 16:53:54 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 3 May 2021 15:53 UTC

I'd be careful personally, those batteries are not forgiving. Also if it can
only run9.5, then it probably can't run modern apps either.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
>A friend of mine received a 3rd generation iPad as a present eight
> years ago, which she has hardly used and the battery has been
> discharged for a long time. She doesn't want it.
>
> Is leaving the battery discharged likely to have damaged it? Will
> iOS9.3.5 (which I understand it can support) run BBC iPlayer and Zoom
> without difficulty? I am thinking about making an offer, but I don't
> want to take advantage. Would �100 be a reasonable premium price? I
> don't know the memory but I could find out.
>
> (I assume it is 3rd gen as it has 30 pin connector, but I need to
> check it is not 2nd gen.)

Re: iPad third generation

<s6p7va$9sf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22238&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22238

From: koo...@troopa.net (Koopa)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 16:22:02 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Koopa - Mon, 3 May 2021 16:22 UTC

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd be careful personally, those batteries are not forgiving. Also if it can
> only run9.5, then it probably can't run modern apps either.

The guy who bought mine particularly wanted the Wi-Fi + 3G version as he
wanted to run some bespoke app on his boat.

Re: SOT: iPad third generation

<1917735250.641751704.523799.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22239&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22239

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 3 May 2021 16:23:43 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 3 May 2021 16:23 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> A friend of mine received a 3rd generation iPad as a present eight
> years ago, which she has hardly used and the battery has been
> discharged for a long time. She doesn't want it.
>
> Is leaving the battery discharged likely to have damaged it? Will
> iOS9.3.5 (which I understand it can support) run BBC iPlayer and Zoom
> without difficulty? I am thinking about making an offer, but I don't
> want to take advantage. Would £100 be a reasonable premium price? I
> don't know the memory but I could find out.
>
> (I assume it is 3rd gen as it has 30 pin connector, but I need to
> check it is not 2nd gen.)

If it’s old enough to have the 30 pin connector I’d forget it. The screen
resolution and general usability are much improved on newer models. I
think you’d find it frustrating.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: SOT: iPad third generation

<9ne09g1ufecl31sbk3knkc9267v1s9or1u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22240&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22240

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 19:04:30 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 3 May 2021 18:04 UTC

On Mon, 3 May 2021 15:09:50 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
<usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

>iPlayer needs at least iOS 12
>
>Up to and including the 4th generation you are largely out of luck. These
>are 32 bit devices and most app developers have given up 32 bit support
>these days.

Thanks for this excellent advice. I could easily have entered a
contract that would benefit the seller rather more than the buyer!

Re: SOT: iPad third generation

<lpe09gpsrf993i9kdneiv7lt8vg98p0hdf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22241&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22241

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 19:06:16 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 3 May 2021 18:06 UTC

On 3 May 2021 16:23:43 GMT, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

>If it’s old enough to have the 30 pin connector I’d forget it. The screen
>resolution and general usability are much improved on newer models. I
>think you’d find it frustrating.

Thanks very much for this insight. As I said to Tweed, I could easily
have entered into a contract that would have benefited the seller more
than the buyer.

Re: iPad third generation

<s6qqm6$cfe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22244&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22244

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 07:47:34 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Tue, 4 May 2021 06:47 UTC

I did not think it was even possible to run bespoke software on an Apple
device, without the correct Apple signatures they cannot be loaded as far as
I know.

"Koopa" <koopa@troopa.net> wrote in message
> Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'd be careful personally, those batteries are not forgiving. Also if it
>> can
>> only run9.5, then it probably can't run modern apps either.
>
> The guy who bought mine particularly wanted the Wi-Fi + 3G version as he
> wanted to run some bespoke app on his boat.

Re: iPad third generation

<s6r8ur$e6l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22251&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22251

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 10:51:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:LrPCLowJrsI9x9iZ56JCuok8fAY=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 4 May 2021 10:51 UTC

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I did not think it was even possible to run bespoke software on an Apple
> device, without the correct Apple signatures they cannot be loaded as far as
> I know.
> Brian

It is possible. I’ve had software delivered to me for testing. The
developer has to be a member of the Apple developer program and I had to
supply the serial number of my device. The software could then be installed
on my device but not on anyone else’s. I believe companies can have a
similar arrangement for supplying corporate apps not intended for the
general public.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: iPad third generation