When you become used to never being alone, you may consider yourself Americanized.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Clutching at Strawbs

SubjectAuthor
* Clutching at StrawbsTone
+* Clutching at StrawbsTone
|+* Clutching at StrawbsPeter
||+* Clutching at StrawbsTone
|||`- Clutching at StrawbsJulian Macassey
||`* Clutching at StrawbsJulian Macassey
|| `- Clutching at StrawbsRichard Robinson
|`- Clutching at StrawbsBrian Gaff
+* Clutching at StrawbsTone
|`* Clutching at StrawbsRustyHinge
| `* Clutching at StrawbsTone
|  +* Clutching at StrawbsTease'n'Seize
|  |`* Clutching at StrawbsTone
|  | +- Clutching at StrawbsAhem A Rivet's Shot
|  | +- Clutching at StrawbsTease'n'Seize
|  | `- Clutching at StrawbsTim+
|  `* Clutching at StrawbsChris Elvidge
|   `* Clutching at StrawbsTone
|    `- Clutching at StrawbsTone
`- Clutching at StrawbsMike Fleming

1
Clutching at Strawbs

<u8a1ii$1et3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22271&group=uk.rec.sheds#22271

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Clutching at Strawbs
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 22:54:25 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 21:54 UTC

FAB Folk & Beyond this week features the brand new Strawbs album, 'The
Magic of it All', release date 14th July, and a fascinating informal
chat with Dave Cousins himself, who also chose the music for the show.

https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-beyond-fri-7th-july-2023/

Tone

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<u8ajjk$1kl0c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22276&group=uk.rec.sheds#22276

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Clutching at Strawbs
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 04:02:11 +0100
 by: Tone - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 03:02 UTC

On 07/07/2023 22:54, Tone wrote:
> FAB Folk & Beyond this week features the brand new Strawbs album, 'The
> Magic of it All', release date 14th July, and a fascinating informal
> chat with Dave Cousins himself, who also chose the music for the show.
>
> https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-beyond-fri-7th-july-2023/
>
> Tone

Twice during our chat he used the word 'kindness'. There is no kindness
in politics now.

Kindness is what we need in society.

If our leaders have abandoned kindness to their own ends, then what have
we become?

He makes a very valid point.

Tone

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<XnsB03B608451C16Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22286&group=uk.rec.sheds#22286

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:29:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:29 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:u8ajjk$1kl0c$1@dont-email.me:

> Twice during our chat he used the word 'kindness'. There is no kindness
> in politics now.
>
> Kindness is what we need in society.
>
> If our leaders have abandoned kindness to their own ends, then what have
> we become?

I don't goove that there ever was kindness in politics. The sort of people
who want politial power and shout loudly through the meja are not, as a
rule, filled with empathy.

OTOH there is loads of kindness in everyday society. I see it when hobbling
around on my stick - people going out of the way to ask if I would like
some help. My faith is in ordinary folk, not politicians or journalists.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<u8biv9$1nu88$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22292&group=uk.rec.sheds#22292

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:57:29 +0100
 by: Tone - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:57 UTC

On 08/07/2023 09:29, Peter wrote:
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:u8ajjk$1kl0c$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> Twice during our chat he used the word 'kindness'. There is no kindness
>> in politics now.
>>
>> Kindness is what we need in society.
>>
>> If our leaders have abandoned kindness to their own ends, then what have
>> we become?
>
> I don't goove that there ever was kindness in politics. The sort of people
> who want politial power and shout loudly through the meja are not, as a
> rule, filled with empathy.
>
> OTOH there is loads of kindness in everyday society. I see it when hobbling
> around on my stick - people going out of the way to ask if I would like
> some help. My faith is in ordinary folk, not politicians or journalists.

I goove Nye Bevan was and Jeremy Corbyn is.

Tone

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<slrnuail47.1ndve.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22293&group=uk.rec.sheds#22293

From: jul...@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:20:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:20 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:29:17 -0000 (UTC), Peter
<myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:

> OTOH there is loads of kindness in everyday society. I see it
> when hobbling around on my stick - people going out of the way
> to ask if I would like some help. My faith is in ordinary folk,
> not politicians or journalists.

I have found this to be true. Prople will give you a hand
if you need it.

You can't say that about our elected leaders.

--
“If you're in trouble, or hurt or need - go to the poor people.
They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.” - John

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<slrnuailc3.1ndve.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22294&group=uk.rec.sheds#22294

From: jul...@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:24:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:24 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:57:29 +0100, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> On 08/07/2023 09:29, Peter wrote:
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:u8ajjk$1kl0c$1@dont-email.me:
>>
>>> Twice during our chat he used the word 'kindness'. There is no kindness
>>> in politics now.
>>>
>>> Kindness is what we need in society.
>>>
>>> If our leaders have abandoned kindness to their own ends, then what have
>>> we become?
>>
>> I don't goove that there ever was kindness in politics. The sort of people
>> who want politial power and shout loudly through the meja are not, as a
>> rule, filled with empathy.
>>
>> OTOH there is loads of kindness in everyday society. I see it when hobbling
>> around on my stick - people going out of the way to ask if I would like
>> some help. My faith is in ordinary folk, not politicians or journalists.
>>

> I goove Nye Bevan was and Jeremy Corbyn is.

Those two are the rare exceptions. Now we have grifters
like Tony "The Poodle" Blair trying to get us to accept a
privatised NHS and graspers like Starmer trying to purge Labour
of classical Labour members.

--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<u8bmgi$1ocia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22298&group=uk.rec.sheds#22298

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:57:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:57 UTC

Julian Macassey said:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:29:17 -0000 (UTC), Peter
><myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> OTOH there is loads of kindness in everyday society. I see it
>> when hobbling around on my stick - people going out of the way
>> to ask if I would like some help. My faith is in ordinary folk,
>> not politicians or journalists.
>
> I have found this to be true. Prople will give you a hand
> if you need it.

I went away last weekend. When I got home, I found a sticker on the door
telling me that the ecilops had broken in, and made good by fiting a new
lock, pick the keys up from the copshop[1].

I forgot to stop the milk[2], and someone worried.

[1] Sunday evening, yeah right. I was on the phone for ~1.5hrs without
getting answered before I accepted I wasn't going to sleep in my own
bed.

[2] The thing that really has me kicking myself myself is that I also
forgot to take the key out of the back-door lock.

Mixed blessing. I can't complain, because I /could/ have been ylvat ba
gur sybbe va n cbby bs oybbq, in which case I'd have been glad of it,
but as it was it was absolutely the last thing I needed.

> You can't say that about our elected leaders.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<u8e5rf$24c3u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22353&group=uk.rec.sheds#22353

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 12:31:59 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 11:31 UTC

I think its all got lost in the speed of modern life. I see it all the time
where somebody is so preoccupied on their next task they forget to be in any
way sympathetic.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
> On 07/07/2023 22:54, Tone wrote:
>> FAB Folk & Beyond this week features the brand new Strawbs album, 'The
>> Magic of it All', release date 14th July, and a fascinating informal chat
>> with Dave Cousins himself, who also chose the music for the show.
>>
>> https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-beyond-fri-7th-july-2023/
>>
>> Tone
>
> Twice during our chat he used the word 'kindness'. There is no kindness in
> politics now.
>
> Kindness is what we need in society.
>
> If our leaders have abandoned kindness to their own ends, then what have
> we become?
>
> He makes a very valid point.
>
> Tone

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<u8iaoq$2mbof$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22435&group=uk.rec.sheds#22435

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 02:20:25 +0100
 by: Tone - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 01:20 UTC

On 07/07/2023 22:54, Tone wrote:
> FAB Folk & Beyond this week features the brand new Strawbs album, 'The
> Magic of it All', release date 14th July, and a fascinating informal
> chat with Dave Cousins himself, who also chose the music for the show.
>
> https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-beyond-fri-7th-july-2023/
>
> Tone

It seems we have violated a mixcloud rule or two!

"Please make sure that your shows only contain:
Maximum 3 songs from one album (and no more than 2 consecutively)
Maximum 4 songs from one recording artist (and no more than 3
consecutively)
Maximum 4 songs from one compilation (and no more than 3
consecutively)"

As a journalist fiend of mine commented:

"Martin Banks
Interesting....they police the content of programmes? I can understand
doing that for naughty bits but what is naughty about having a special -
that was pre-announced - that features a particular act/artist a little
bit excessively. That sounds like making themselves self-appointed
arbiters of taste, doesn't it."

But I have been asked to contribute to a new online station that will
provide a world service and include a free 'play again' service.

So in September mixcloud can get stuffed.

Tone

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<u8ipkd$2r8dg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22436&group=uk.rec.sheds#22436

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 06:34:04 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 05:34 UTC

On 11/07/2023 02:20, Tone wrote:

> It seems we have violated a mixcloud rule or two!

So who are Mixcloud?

I see they are your emu provider, but are they the station overlords?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<kh4l0nFef32U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22440&group=uk.rec.sheds#22440

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 10:17:11 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:17 UTC

On 07/07/2023 22:54, Tone wrote:
> FAB Folk & Beyond this week features the brand new Strawbs album, 'The
> Magic of it All', release date 14th July, and a fascinating informal
> chat with Dave Cousins himself, who also chose the music for the show.
>
> https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-beyond-fri-7th-july-2023/

I supported them in the early 90s in a gig at the Breedon Bar in
Birmingham (now gone). I remember telling Dave Cousins that he was one
of the inspirations for my songwriting. Not sure how flattered he was by
that though.

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<u8jica$2tneh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22457&group=uk.rec.sheds#22457

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:36:25 +0100
 by: Tone - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:36 UTC

On 11/07/2023 06:34, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 02:20, Tone wrote:
>>
>> It seems we have violated a mixcloud rule or two!
>
> So who are Mixcloud?
>
> I see they are your emu provider, but are they the station overlords?

As far as I can jbex out mixcloud.com are a branch of google than hosts
a 'play it again' facility for radio progs and also hosts new shows.
I've been using them for yearses.

I've pointed out that, many times before, my progs have exceeded their
limits as I cover live concerts, guest artists, and review new albums.
But I have never had a show blocked before.

Then they started waffling on about copyright restrictions, but all
copyright is already paid by our radio station before they even get my
shows. In any case the amount of copyright payments made by mixcloud is
pitiful.

I'm currently looking for a different host that can provide 'play it
again' for my shows. Tempo FM doesn't have that facility.

I am just joining a new online station based in Hull that will provide
show repeats, but they don't go to air until August Bank Holiday weekend.

Tone

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<YZScnU2rc7h20zD5nZ2dnZfqn_hg4p2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22460&group=uk.rec.sheds#22460

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:45:32 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:45 UTC

Tone wrote:

> RustyHinge wrote:
>
>> who are Mixcloud?
>
> As far as I can jbex out mixcloud.com are a branch of google

Nowt to do with gurgle, they're a private business, setup by a couple of
Cambridge students.

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<u8jjic$2tru5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22461&group=uk.rec.sheds#22461

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:56:44 +0100
 by: Tone - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:56 UTC

On 11/07/2023 13:45, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Tone wrote:
>
>> RustyHinge wrote:
>>
>>> who are Mixcloud?
>>
>> As far as I can jbex out mixcloud.com are a branch of google
>
> Nowt to do with gurgle, they're a private business, setup by a couple of
> Cambridge students.

Okay. Tiz interesting though that you can access mixcloud via gurgle
and/or farcebook passwords.

Tone

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<u8jkc8$2u078$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22462&group=uk.rec.sheds#22462

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:10:31 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:10 UTC

On 11/07/2023 13:36, Tone wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 06:34, RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 11/07/2023 02:20, Tone wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems we have violated a mixcloud rule or two!
>>
>> So who are Mixcloud?
>>
>> I see they are your emu provider, but are they the station overlords?
>>

> As far as I can jbex out mixcloud.com are a branch of google than hosts
> a 'play it again' facility for radio progs and also hosts new shows.
> I've been using them for yearses.
>
> I've pointed out that, many times before, my progs have exceeded their
> limits as I cover live concerts, guest artists, and review new albums.
> But I have never had a show blocked before.
>
> Then they started waffling on about copyright restrictions, but all
> copyright is already paid by our radio station before they even get my
> shows. In any case the amount of copyright payments made by mixcloud is
> pitiful.
>
> I'm currently looking for a different host that can provide 'play it
> again' for my shows. Tempo FM doesn't have that facility.

I use mplayer to record from (e.g.) TempoFM, cron to start at the
relevant time - e.g. Friday, 21:00 and timeout 120m = record for 120
minutes. Linux only, I fear.

(Next should be all on one line)
timeout 120m mplayer -nocache -nolirc -really-quiet -vc dummy -vo null
-ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file="$outfile.wav"
"http://stream.dnsgb.net:8040" &>/dev/null

And then lame to convert to mp3
And then listen at my own convenience.

--

Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL STOP PHONING IT IN

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<20230711144320.203047f3614cb2da392dd14d@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22469&group=uk.rec.sheds#22469

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:43:20 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:43 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:56:44 +0100
Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> On 11/07/2023 13:45, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> > Tone wrote:

> >> As far as I can jbex out mixcloud.com are a branch of google
> >
> > Nowt to do with gurgle, they're a private business, setup by a couple
> > of Cambridge students.
> >

> Okay. Tiz interesting though that you can access mixcloud via gurgle
> and/or farcebook passwords.

That just means they're using Oauth and have elected to trust them
as authentication providers.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<u8k0o8$2tru5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22472&group=uk.rec.sheds#22472

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:41:43 +0100
 by: Tone - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:41 UTC

On 11/07/2023 14:10, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> And then listen at my own convenience.

To much information!

Tone

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<Nl-dnfpXc7-OMDD5nZ2dnZfqnPZj4p2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22479&group=uk.rec.sheds#22479

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.goja.nl.eu.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.23.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:27:15 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:27 UTC

On 11/07/2023 13:56, Tone wrote:

> Tiz interesting though that you can access mixcloud via gurgle
> and/or farcebook passwords.

That is

1) convenient to people who don't like having lotsa passworms

2) convenient to companies who want to track you even if you clear cookies.

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<520896246.710805968.408575.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22486&group=uk.rec.sheds#22486

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 11 Jul 2023 22:08:02 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:08 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 13:45, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Tone wrote:

>>> As far as I can jbex out mixcloud.com are a branch of google
>>
>> Nowt to do with gurgle, they're a private business, setup by a couple of
>> Cambridge students.
>>

> Okay. Tiz interesting though that you can access mixcloud via gurgle
> and/or farcebook passwords.
>
> Tone

Well of course. Nothing these companies enjoy more than access to all you
contacts.

NEVER log in with FB or Gurgle if want any sort of online privacy.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Clutching at Strawbs

<u8l107$35voi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22490&group=uk.rec.sheds#22490

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 02:52:06 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 01:52 UTC

I think we might have beaten the mixcloud editorial system.
For Dave Cousins on FAB check out
https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/
https://www.mixcloud.com/.../dave-cousins-on-fab-part-one/
https://www.mixcloud.com/.../dave-cousins-on-fab-part-two/