See store for details.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: District Nurses

SubjectAuthor
* District NursesTone
+- District Nursesmaus
+- District NursesRustyHinge
+* District NursesPeter
|`* District NursesJohn Williamson
| +- District Nursesmaus
| `- District NursesTone
+- District NursesBrian Gaff
`* District NursesThomas Prufer
 `* District NursesTone
  +- District NursesTim+
  `- District NursesThomas Prufer

1
District Nurses

<u8849a$17fap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22224&group=uk.rec.sheds#22224

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: District Nurses
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 05:28:25 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 04:28 UTC

I see them weekly, but never the same one. In fact I must have seen
about 20 of them by now. You never know who you will get. Some are
better than others. A few are brilliant.

But yesterday I had the worst. She was a lovely looking polite girl (I
would, about 30 years ago!), but she was on her mobile almost
throughout. Didn't listen to me at all at all.

Although I told her I had replaced the dressings on my leg at midnight
last night and they didn't need changing yet, she still went ahead and
changed them.

She dry wiped my weeping leg wounds (ouch!), taking off some tender skin
in the process. Usually we use sterilised mildly saline water to wash
the area gently.

She then applied moisturiser over the wound, including over the sole of
my foot. (How am I supposed to walk about in the flat without soiling
the carpet?)

She then applied the dressings. These are usually held in place by
Hyperfix tape. But she couldn't get it to stick because she had
moisturiser grease all over her surgical gloves.

So she pulled up a surgical stocking over the loose dressings and left
me with it.

Of course, as soon as I started to move about, the soiled dressings fell
apart. I had to replace them properly with new dressings.

So in 24 hours, when two dressings usually last me out, we have used six.

And the pain level this evening has gone to 11. No sleep at all. Even
the usual cure of co-codamol washed down with whisky hasn't touched it.

I thought about writing a complaint about her, but then thought better
of it. They have enough problems as it is.

But if she knocks on my door again, she'll get it shut in her face.
We'll let her report deal with it. I'll then say why.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, nobody else is listening. Maybe you
aren't either, but it helps to vent my spleen somewhere!

I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.

Tone

Re: District Nurses

<slrnuafc2g.1t0.maus@darkstar.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22225&group=uk.rec.sheds#22225

From: mau...@darkstar.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: District Nurses
Date: 7 Jul 2023 06:27:28 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 06:27 UTC

On 2023-07-07, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> I see them weekly, but never the same one. In fact I must have seen
> about 20 of them by now. You never know who you will get. Some are
> better than others. A few are brilliant.
>

> But if she knocks on my door again, she'll get it shut in her face.
> We'll let her report deal with it. I'll then say why.
>
> Why am I telling you all this? Well, nobody else is listening. Maybe you
> aren't either, but it helps to vent my spleen somewhere!
>
> I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
> vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.
>
> Tone

1 rule, Do not amputate, I have left enough spare parts at various
place. When the final trumpet calls, all those parts need to be
colllected and fixed back on.

2 rule. Do not fall out with nurses. Doctors, yes, but not nurses. A
local nurse here has more power than a local policeman. I once had a
nasty nurse in chrge of me, but I found out later that I had once
attended her Mother and gave her expectations.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Boris, The Once and Future P.M.

Re: District Nurses

<u88fum$18t7i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22228&group=uk.rec.sheds#22228

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 08:47:33 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 07:47 UTC

On 07/07/2023 05:28, Tone wrote:
> I see them weekly, but never the same one. In fact I must have seen
> about 20 of them by now. You never know who you will get. Some are
> better than others. A few are brilliant.
>
> But yesterday I had the worst. She was a lovely looking polite girl (I
> would, about 30 years ago!), but she was on her mobile almost
> throughout. Didn't listen to me at all at all.
>
> Although I told her I had replaced the dressings on my leg at midnight
> last night and they didn't need changing yet, she still went ahead and
> changed them.
>
> She dry wiped my weeping leg wounds (ouch!), taking off some tender skin
> in the process. Usually we use sterilised mildly saline water to wash
> the area gently.
>
> She then applied moisturiser over the wound, including over the sole of
> my foot. (How am I supposed to walk about in the flat without soiling
> the carpet?)
>
> She then applied the dressings. These are usually held in place by
> Hyperfix tape. But she couldn't get it to stick because she had
> moisturiser grease all over her surgical gloves.
>
> So she pulled up a surgical stocking over the loose dressings and left
> me with it.
>
> Of course, as soon as I started to move about, the soiled dressings fell
> apart. I had to replace them properly with new dressings.
>
> So in 24 hours, when two dressings usually last me out, we have used six.
>
> And the pain level this evening has gone to 11. No sleep at all. Even
> the usual cure of co-codamol washed down with whisky hasn't touched it.
>
> I thought about writing a complaint about her, but then thought better
> of it. They have enough problems as it is.
>
> But if she knocks on my door again, she'll get it shut in her face.
> We'll let her report deal with it. I'll then say why.
>
> Why am I telling you all this? Well, nobody else is listening. Maybe you
> aren't either, but it helps to vent my spleen somewhere!
>
> I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
> vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.

I don't let district nurses dress anything.

I scraped my big toe when it went walkies during the night and found the
commestibles trolley.

District Nurse pestered me to let her dress it. Against my better
judgement I acquiesced. "I'll be back in three days to look at it", she
lied.

Eventually I removed her dressing and three *weeks* later another DN
turned-up to look at it. It hadn't improved and when a doctor at the
N&NUH saw it he wasn't pleased, so he cut it orft.

That's why I *never* let them dress *anything*. If it needs anointing or
dressing, *I* do it. After all, admittedly a long time ago, I did earn a
St.John's susstiffikit.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: District Nurses

<XnsB03A6810C3E04Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22233&group=uk.rec.sheds#22233

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:13:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:13 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:u8849a$17fap$1@dont-email.me:

> I see them weekly, but never the same one. In fact I must have seen
> about 20 of them by now. You never know who you will get. Some are
> better than others. A few are brilliant.

The ones who come every other Sunday to disconnect SWMBO's chemo pump have
so far been brilliant. I guess we've been lucky.

<snipped, but with sympathy>

> Why am I telling you all this? Well, nobody else is listening. Maybe you
> aren't either

we are

>but it helps to vent my spleen somewhere!

Good. That's wot we're 'ere for , innit.

> I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
> vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.

I'm sure that he will explain that amputation brings with it it's own set
of problems, some of which are not nice at all.

Chin up (if you can find it under all that hair), and keep us informed.

--
Peter
-----

Re: District Nurses

<kgq43eFo1clU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22237&group=uk.rec.sheds#22237

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 10:27:10 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:27 UTC

On 07/07/2023 10:13, Peter wrote:
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:u8849a$17fap$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
>> vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.
>
> I'm sure that he will explain that amputation brings with it it's own set
> of problems, some of which are not nice at all.

One of the commoner ones is phantom pain, which can be as bad as the
previous real pain and is untreatable. I'm sure arTone is aware of this,
though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: District Nurses

<u88p4h$19vsi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22243&group=uk.rec.sheds#22243

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:24:16 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 10:24 UTC

Unfortunately despite all the training, some do tend to think they know
better. I've encountered this with one nurse at my doctors, flatly refusing
to email me, not accepting advice on how to do sighted guiding, preferring
to go behind you and steer your shoulders. Some people just don't get it
unfortunately. Interestingly one of the recommendations to the nhs from a
recent patient consultation was to try whenever possible to send the same
carers to the same people. Like accessible information though, they are
still not doing this properly, as there is a we know best attitude to get
past. Often the patient knows best but are seldom consulted about their
care.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
>I see them weekly, but never the same one. In fact I must have seen about
>20 of them by now. You never know who you will get. Some are better than
>others. A few are brilliant.
>
> But yesterday I had the worst. She was a lovely looking polite girl (I
> would, about 30 years ago!), but she was on her mobile almost throughout.
> Didn't listen to me at all at all.
>
> Although I told her I had replaced the dressings on my leg at midnight
> last night and they didn't need changing yet, she still went ahead and
> changed them.
>
> She dry wiped my weeping leg wounds (ouch!), taking off some tender skin
> in the process. Usually we use sterilised mildly saline water to wash the
> area gently.
>
> She then applied moisturiser over the wound, including over the sole of my
> foot. (How am I supposed to walk about in the flat without soiling the
> carpet?)
>
> She then applied the dressings. These are usually held in place by
> Hyperfix tape. But she couldn't get it to stick because she had
> moisturiser grease all over her surgical gloves.
>
> So she pulled up a surgical stocking over the loose dressings and left me
> with it.
>
> Of course, as soon as I started to move about, the soiled dressings fell
> apart. I had to replace them properly with new dressings.
>
> So in 24 hours, when two dressings usually last me out, we have used six.
>
> And the pain level this evening has gone to 11. No sleep at all. Even the
> usual cure of co-codamol washed down with whisky hasn't touched it.
>
> I thought about writing a complaint about her, but then thought better of
> it. They have enough problems as it is.
>
> But if she knocks on my door again, she'll get it shut in her face. We'll
> let her report deal with it. I'll then say why.
>
> Why am I telling you all this? Well, nobody else is listening. Maybe you
> aren't either, but it helps to vent my spleen somewhere!
>
> I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
> vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.
>
> Tone

Re: District Nurses

<hftfai90b6tont2067u3uq12rigl96uf91@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22246&group=uk.rec.sheds#22246

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 13:24:52 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:24 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 05:28:25 +0100, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

>I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
>vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.

What was the result of the magnets?

Thomas Prufer

Re: District Nurses

<slrnuag7dt.4db.maus@darkstar.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22252&group=uk.rec.sheds#22252

From: mau...@darkstar.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 7 Jul 2023 14:14:21 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 14:14 UTC

On 2023-07-07, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 07/07/2023 10:13, Peter wrote:
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:u8849a$17fap$1@dont-email.me:
>>
>>> I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
>>> vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.
>>
>> I'm sure that he will explain that amputation brings with it it's own set
>> of problems, some of which are not nice at all.
>>
> One of the commoner ones is phantom pain, which can be as bad as the
> previous real pain and is untreatable. I'm sure arTone is aware of this,
> though.

Very difficult to deal with. Amputees suffer from it decades after the
amputations, Waking at night with the need to scratch an arm that has
been cut off long ago.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Boris, The Once and Future P.M.
Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of Influencers

Re: District Nurses

<u89a1q$1c0k0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22256&group=uk.rec.sheds#22256

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 16:12:57 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 15:12 UTC

On 07/07/2023 10:27, John Williamson wrote:
> On 07/07/2023 10:13, Peter wrote:
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:u8849a$17fap$1@dont-email.me:
>>
>>> I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
>>> vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.
>>
>> I'm sure that he will explain that amputation brings with it it's own set
>> of problems, some of which are not nice at all.
>>
> One of the commoner ones is phantom pain, which can be as bad as the
> previous real pain and is untreatable. I'm sure arTone is aware of this,
> though.

I am, but I'm working on the principle that it can't be worse than it is
now.

Tone

Re: District Nurses

<u89a4c$1c0k0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22257&group=uk.rec.sheds#22257

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 16:14:19 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 15:14 UTC

On 07/07/2023 12:24, Thomas Prufer wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 05:28:25 +0100, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>
>> I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
>> vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.
>
> What was the result of the magnets?
>
> Thomas Prufer

To be honest, over a couple of weeks I think they were making it worse
on average. I now have an ulcerous hole in the back of my calf muscle
that wasn't there before.

Tone

Re: District Nurses

<395351576.710446714.463367.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22260&group=uk.rec.sheds#22260

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 7 Jul 2023 18:19:56 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 18:19 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> On 07/07/2023 12:24, Thomas Prufer wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 05:28:25 +0100, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
>>> vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.
>>
>> What was the result of the magnets?
>>
>> Thomas Prufer
>
> To be honest, over a couple of weeks I think they were making it worse
> on average. I now have an ulcerous hole in the back of my calf muscle
> that wasn't there before.
>
> Tone

ROCK - Tone - HARD PLACE.

Sorry to hear about your travails. Fingers crossed for any solution that
improves your quality of life.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: District Nurses

<5p3iaitjl7vltf5f5fk04a7d0olhb2vruj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22282&group=uk.rec.sheds#22282

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 09:25:02 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 07:25 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 16:14:19 +0100, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

>On 07/07/2023 12:24, Thomas Prufer wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 05:28:25 +0100, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am now actually beginning to look forward to amputation. I see a
>>> vascular surgeon on Oct 2nd, and that will be my suggestion.
>>
>> What was the result of the magnets?
>>
>> Thomas Prufer
>
>To be honest, over a couple of weeks I think they were making it worse
>on average. I now have an ulcerous hole in the back of my calf muscle
>that wasn't there before.
>
>Tone

Ah shoot.

There was hope there for a while...