Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 00:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Ex-Yorkshire psychologist rubbishes Rafiq claim
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 07:09 UTC

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/08/26/ex-yorkshire-club-psychologist-rubbishes-azeem-rafiq-claim-white/
Ex-Yorkshire club psychologist rubbishes Azeem Rafiq claim that white players were prioritised
'I can genuinely say that Yorkshire had the best psychological and well-being provision that I’ve seen in team sport,' Dr Mark Nesti said

ByTelegraph Sport
26 August 2022 • 1:45pm
Yorkshire County Cricket Club is pictured outside Headingley, the home of Yorkshire cricket - Yorkshire's former sports psychologist rubbishes Azeem Rafiq mental-health claims
CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
Yorkshire's former sports psychologist has hit back at claims from Azeem Rafiq that the club prioritised the mental health of white players.

Dr Mark Nesti, who has also worked with Premier League clubs Manchester United, Chelsea and Everton, accused Rafiq of making the claim as part of a wider campaign to "destroy" Yorkshire.

Rafiq had tweeted "Duty of care & mental health depends on colour of your skin clearly" in response to Yorkshire posting an update on an investigation into his allegations of systemic racism at the club. He then doubled down on the claims in a newspaper interview, in which he said he had "seen other players get supported through things that have been of their own doing a lot more than I got supported” - a reference to the loss of his still-born son in 2018, shortly before he left Yorkshire.

But Dr Nesti, who was sacked by Yorkshire last December after he and 13 other employees signed a letter to the previous board accusing Rafiq of attempting to "bring down" the club, said that the former off-spinner was given “the most support of any player at Yorkshire during my time there”.

Read more at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/08/26/ex-yorkshire-club-psychologist-rubbishes-azeem-rafiq-claim-white/

RH