Udall's Fourth Law: Any change or reform you make is going to have consequences you don't like.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: This turned up on uk.test

SubjectAuthor
* This turned up on uk.testChris Elvidge
+- This turned up on uk.testRichard Robinson
+* This turned up on uk.testAhem A Rivet's Shot
|+* This turned up on uk.testsoup
||+- This turned up on uk.testDave W
||`- This turned up on uk.testAhem A Rivet's Shot
|`* This turned up on uk.testKerr-Mudd, John
| `* This turned up on uk.testJohn Williamson
|  +- This turned up on uk.testPeter
|  `* This turned up on uk.testAhem A Rivet's Shot
|   +- This turned up on uk.testNicholas D. Richards
|   `- This turned up on uk.testmaus
+- This turned up on uk.testPeter
`* This turned up on uk.testBrian Gaff
 `* This turned up on uk.testPeter
  `* This turned up on uk.testmaus
   `* This turned up on uk.testAhem A Rivet's Shot
    +* This turned up on uk.testTease'n'Seize
    |`- This turned up on uk.testNicholas D. Richards
    `- This turned up on uk.testmaus

1
This turned up on uk.test

<u88v6i$1akob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22248&group=uk.rec.sheds#22248

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: This turned up on uk.test
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 13:07:46 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:07 UTC

--

Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL NOT CONDUCT MY OWN FIRE DRILLS

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<u8917g$1b09b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22250&group=uk.rec.sheds#22250

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: This turned up on uk.test
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:42:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:42 UTC

Chris Elvidge said:
>> SENIOR TRYING TO RESET PASSWORD
>> WINDOWS: Please enter your new password
>> USER: cabbage
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.
>> USER: boiled cabbage
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.
>> USER: 1 boiled cabbage
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.
>> USER: 50damnboiledcabbages
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case character
>> USER: 50DAMNboiledcabbages
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case character consecutively.
>> USER: 50damnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssiFYouDon'tiveMeAccessNow!
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.
>> USER:
>> ReallyPissed01f50DamnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssifYouDontGiveMeAccessNow
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.

*giggle*

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<20230707134503.2655e3a6de6f69bedce1075f@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22251&group=uk.rec.sheds#22251

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 13:45:03 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:45 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 13:07:46 +0100
Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net> wrote:

> > SENIOR TRYING TO RESET PASSWORD
> > WINDOWS: Please enter your new password
> > USER: cabbage
> > WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.
> > USER: boiled cabbage
> > WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.
> > USER: 1 boiled cabbage
> > WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.
> > USER: 50damnboiledcabbages
> > WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case
> > character USER: 50DAMNboiledcabbages
> > WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case
> > character consecutively. USER:
> > 50damnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssiFYouDon'tiveMeAccessNow! WINDOWS:
> > Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation. USER:
> > ReallyPissed01f50DamnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssifYouDontGiveMeAccessNow
> > WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.

<chuckle>

NewPassword07072023

Don't do this, but it ticks the boxes for most password complexity
checkers and is awfully easy.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<XnsB03AA40FF6635Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22255&group=uk.rec.sheds#22255

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 15:07:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 15:07 UTC

Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net> wrote in

>> SENIOR TRYING TO RESET PASSWORD
>> WINDOWS: Please enter your new password
>> USER: cabbage
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.
>> USER: boiled cabbage
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.
>> USER: 1 boiled cabbage
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.
>> USER: 50damnboiledcabbages
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case
>> character USER: 50DAMNboiledcabbages
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case
>> character consecutively. USER:
>> 50damnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssiFYouDon'tiveMeAccessNow! WINDOWS:
>> Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation. USER:
>> ReallyPissed01f50DamnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssifYouDontGiveMeAcces
>> sNow WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.

Excellent! It cheered SWMBO up no end.

--
Peter
-----

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<u89inn$1d3g3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22259&group=uk.rec.sheds#22259

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 18:41:14 +0100
 by: soup - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 17:41 UTC

On 07/07/2023 13:45, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 13:07:46 +0100
> Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net> wrote:
>
>>> SENIOR TRYING TO RESET PASSWORD
>>> WINDOWS: Please enter your new password
>>> USER: cabbage
>>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.
>>> USER: boiled cabbage
>>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.
>>> USER: 1 boiled cabbage
>>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.
>>> USER: 50damnboiledcabbages
>>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case
>>> character USER: 50DAMNboiledcabbages
>>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case
>>> character consecutively. USER:
>>> 50damnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssiFYouDon'tiveMeAccessNow! WINDOWS:
>>> Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation. USER:
>>> ReallyPissed01f50DamnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssifYouDontGiveMeAccessNow
>>> WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.
>
> <chuckle>
>
> NewPassword07072023
>
> Don't do this, but it ticks the boxes for most password complexity
> checkers and is awfully easy.

As does P@$$w0rd Then, wot 'e said.

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<bi1haitk1vc3puk2gknhlupket7lr074rn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22272&group=uk.rec.sheds#22272

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 23:41:17 +0200
 by: Dave W - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 21:41 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 18:41:14 +0100, soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>On 07/07/2023 13:45, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

>> <chuckle>
>>
>> NewPassword07072023
>>
>> Don't do this, but it ticks the boxes for most password complexity
>> checkers and is awfully easy.
>
>As does P@$$w0rd Then, wot 'e said.
But that one's difficult to remember.
--
Dave W

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<20230708090856.d6172b062a83dacefc35bde0@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22283&group=uk.rec.sheds#22283

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 09:08:56 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:08 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 13:45:03 +0100
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 13:07:46 +0100
> Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net> wrote:
>
> > > SENIOR TRYING TO RESET PASSWORD
> > > WINDOWS: Please enter your new password
> > > USER: cabbage
> > > WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.
> > > USER: boiled cabbage
> > > WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.
> > > USER: 1 boiled cabbage
> > > WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.
> > > USER: 50damnboiledcabbages
> > > WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case
> > > character USER: 50DAMNboiledcabbages
> > > WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case
> > > character consecutively. USER:
> > > 50damnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssiFYouDon'tiveMeAccessNow! WINDOWS:
> > > Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation. USER:
> > > ReallyPissed01f50DamnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssifYouDontGiveMeAccessNow
> > > WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.
>
> <chuckle>
>
> NewPassword07072023
>
> Don't do this, but it ticks the boxes for most password complexity
> checkers and is awfully easy.

I recall when at work we went from 'static' passwords to "greater
security" by making folk change their password monthly. A colleague's
password then became $Surname$MthNum.

Feh.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<20230708093822.7f9109baf92ba60584c69530@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22287&group=uk.rec.sheds#22287

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 09:38:22 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:38 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 18:41:14 +0100
soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> As does P@$$w0rd Then, wot 'e said.

A not too horrible variant (but not one I use) is:

eg:

ebayWiBbLe08072023

But that standard secret text has to be kept /secret/.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<kgspq5F6ka2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22288&group=uk.rec.sheds#22288

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:49:56 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 09:49 UTC

On 08/07/2023 09:08, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> I recall when at work we went from 'static' passwords to "greater
> security" by making folk change their password monthly. A colleague's
> password then became $Surname$MthNum.

Everyone else just used a post-it note on the monitor to remind them.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<XnsB03B73572B3EBFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22289&group=uk.rec.sheds#22289

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:20:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:20 UTC

John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote in news:kgspq5F6ka2U1
@mid.individual.net:

> On 08/07/2023 09:08, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>
>> I recall when at work we went from 'static' passwords to "greater
>> security" by making folk change their password monthly. A colleague's
>> password then became $Surname$MthNum.
>>
> Everyone else just used a post-it note on the monitor to remind them.

Yup. that's me. After all, if someone can see a note on the monitor they
must have broken into my house - and that would cause much more of a problem
than breaking into windows.

--
Peter
-----

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<20230708111425.856da06381e3f39563da3722@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22290&group=uk.rec.sheds#22290

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:14:25 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:14 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:49:56 +0100
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 08/07/2023 09:08, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>
> > I recall when at work we went from 'static' passwords to "greater
> > security" by making folk change their password monthly. A colleague's
> > password then became $Surname$MthNum.
> >
> Everyone else just used a post-it note on the monitor to remind them.

Many fortnights ago when I jbexed under contrick for the Inland
Revenue our office had a keypad lock because we had sensitive stuff like a
copy of the complete taxpayer database in there. Everyone was told the code
when they were granted access - nobody else was to know it, the importance
of protecting the sensitive data was impressed upon us.

So one day I arrive for work and just as my fingers are about to do
the keypad dance I spot the hand written notice next to the keypad
announcing that the code had changed and providing the new code. OK the
building had access control - except when returning from a fire drill!

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<edSYvYAEdVqkFA4Q@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22296&group=uk.rec.sheds#22296

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 13:32:04 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:32 UTC

In article <20230708111425.856da06381e3f39563da3722@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Sat, 8 Jul 2023 at 11:14:25 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:49:56 +0100
>John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/07/2023 09:08, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>>
>> > I recall when at work we went from 'static' passwords to "greater
>> > security" by making folk change their password monthly. A colleague's
>> > password then became $Surname$MthNum.
>> >
>> Everyone else just used a post-it note on the monitor to remind them.
>
> Many fortnights ago when I jbexed under contrick for the Inland
>Revenue our office had a keypad lock because we had sensitive stuff like a
>copy of the complete taxpayer database in there. Everyone was told the code
>when they were granted access - nobody else was to know it, the importance
>of protecting the sensitive data was impressed upon us.
>
> So one day I arrive for work and just as my fingers are about to do
>the keypad dance I spot the hand written notice next to the keypad
>announcing that the code had changed and providing the new code. OK the
>building had access control - except when returning from a fire drill!

Does any building force access control after a fire drill? Plobrem may
well be that access control may not allow someone already inside to come
in! We had a plobrem when an unplanned practice took sometime before the
Fire Brigade would let everyone back in. Some workers decided that a
swift half, to be taken in a neighbouring establishment was in order.

OTOH if everyone has to clock back in many people would have problems as
their access control card is on their desks. You do not go back to your
desk if there is a fire alarm.

I have heard of a work place where 'maintenance' guy was seen with a
couple of laptops under his arm.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<slrnuaiv89.lf9.maus@darkstar.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22310&group=uk.rec.sheds#22310

From: mau...@darkstar.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 8 Jul 2023 15:13:13 GMT
 by: maus - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 15:13 UTC

On 2023-07-08, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:49:56 +0100
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/07/2023 09:08, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>>
>> > I recall when at work we went from 'static' passwords to "greater
>> > security" by making folk change their password monthly. A colleague's
>> > password then became $Surname$MthNum.
>> >
>> Everyone else just used a post-it note on the monitor to remind them.
>
> Many fortnights ago when I jbexed under contrick for the Inland
> Revenue our office had a keypad lock because we had sensitive stuff like a
> copy of the complete taxpayer database in there. Everyone was told the code
> when they were granted access - nobody else was to know it, the importance
> of protecting the sensitive data was impressed upon us.
>
> So one day I arrive for work and just as my fingers are about to do
> the keypad dance I spot the hand written notice next to the keypad
> announcing that the code had changed and providing the new code. OK the
> building had access control - except when returning from a fire drill!

There is a sort of order on those keypads. I was once somewhere there
was a competition on how fast a numerical keypad can be opened. Few
lasted longer than ten minutes. For some keypads if a number is pressed
once, it is not used again, so the choices for the last number on a 6number
keypad is very limited, that was about thirty years ago.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Boris, The Once and Future P.M.

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<u8e5io$24b7e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22352&group=uk.rec.sheds#22352

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 12:27:19 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 11:27 UTC

I imagine this just proves how much we hate passwords.

The problems also seem to happen with password managers. You can get these
to generate passwords but 9 times out of 10, the site does not even like
those, Since you yourself don't know hat it has suggested you often go back
to manually suggested ones and then forget which one was for which thing. So
why cannot we do it with a finger in a hole in the computer instead?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Chris Elvidge" <chris@mshome.net> wrote in message
>> SENIOR TRYING TO RESET PASSWORD
>> WINDOWS: Please enter your new password
>> USER: cabbage
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.
>> USER: boiled cabbage
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.
>> USER: 1 boiled cabbage
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.
>> USER: 50damnboiledcabbages
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case
>> character
>> USER: 50DAMNboiledcabbages
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case
>> character consecutively.
>> USER: 50damnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssiFYouDon'tiveMeAccessNow!
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.
>> USER:
>> ReallyPissed01f50DamnBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssifYouDontGiveMeAccessNow
>> WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Alan
>
> --
>
> Chris Elvidge, England
> I WILL NOT CONDUCT MY OWN FIRE DRILLS

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<XnsB03C9323BDE8AFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22363&group=uk.rec.sheds#22363

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 13:27:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 13:27 UTC

"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in

> So why cannot we do it with a finger in a hole in
> the computer instead?

SWMBO does just that - she has a fingerprint reader attached to her PeeCee.
My phone opens with a fingerprint, and the car opens with the phone, but I
need passwords for everything else.

--
Peter
-----

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<slrnualhkb.1bnl.maus@darkstar.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22370&group=uk.rec.sheds#22370

From: mau...@darkstar.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 9 Jul 2023 14:39:07 GMT
 by: maus - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:39 UTC

On 2023-07-09, Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> So why cannot we do it with a finger in a hole in
>> the computer instead?
>
> SWMBO does just that - she has a fingerprint reader attached to her PeeCee.
> My phone opens with a fingerprint, and the car opens with the phone, but I
> need passwords for everything else.

My daughter can not get into her apartment without her phone.. As for
the fingerprint thing, many films have shown how that can be bypassed.

(I am told that a sticky tape can recover the fingerprint off the key
thingie)

--
greymausg@mail.com
Boris, The Once and Future P.M.
Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of Influencers

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<20230709161733.2a85030770625884077bf38c@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22374&group=uk.rec.sheds#22374

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:17:33 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 15:17 UTC

On 9 Jul 2023 14:39:07 GMT
maus <maus@darkstar.org> wrote:

> My daughter can not get into her apartment without her phone.. As for
> the fingerprint thing, many films have shown how that can be bypassed.

Most of the methods in films won't work - some of them did once.

> (I am told that a sticky tape can recover the fingerprint off the key
> thingie)

Under ideal conditions perhaps - real world where you have to
wiggle your finger around until it catches the right view there's no
hope of lifting a clean print and with the scanners with a thin slit that
you slide your finger/thumb across there\s certain not to be anything but a
blur.

Lift a clean print from a smooth surface and it should be possible
to make a fake finger that will work - give them a drink and hope they
don't smear the print.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<1cacna6LML2MRTf5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22377&group=uk.rec.sheds#22377

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:53:56 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 15:53 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> maus wrote:
>
>> As for the fingerprint thing, many films have shown how that can be
>> bypassed.
>
> Most of the methods in films won't work - some of them did once.

Not many gummi bears have a pulse.

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<43zx1oAB3vqkFAfu@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22388&group=uk.rec.sheds#22388

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 19:34:41 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 18:34 UTC

In article <1cacna6LML2MRTf5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid.?> on Sun, 9 Jul 2023 at
16:53:56 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>
>> maus wrote:
>>
>>> As for the fingerprint thing, many films have shown how that can be
>>> bypassed.
>>
>> Most of the methods in films won't work - some of them did once.
>
>Not many gummi bears have a pulse.

I believe in Jelly Babies.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: This turned up on uk.test

<slrnuambut.1tdg.maus@darkstar.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22400&group=uk.rec.sheds#22400

From: mau...@darkstar.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 9 Jul 2023 22:08:29 GMT
 by: maus - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 22:08 UTC

On 2023-07-09, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On 9 Jul 2023 14:39:07 GMT
> maus <maus@darkstar.org> wrote:
>
>> My daughter can not get into her apartment without her phone.. As for
>> the fingerprint thing, many films have shown how that can be bypassed.
>
> Most of the methods in films won't work - some of them did once.
>
>> (I am told that a sticky tape can recover the fingerprint off the key
>> thingie)
>
> Under ideal conditions perhaps - real world where you have to
> wiggle your finger around until it catches the right view there's no
> hope of lifting a clean print and with the scanners with a thin slit that
> you slide your finger/thumb across there\s certain not to be anything but a
> blur.
>
> Lift a clean print from a smooth surface and it should be possible
> to make a fake finger that will work - give them a drink and hope they
> don't smear the print.

I am told that the same problem exists with the thingies that take
images on the street that are idenntified by computers, drugs can really
s*** up that identification.