Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 07:12:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The Hundred appears to be contending with a declining viewership
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 14:12 UTC

The sun has got his hat on hip hip hooray . As predicted the Hundred has only had a brief novelty value. It would be especially interesting to see the viewing figures for women's matches. Let us hope the abortion is dead in a year or two. RH

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/09/01/bbc-viewing-figures-hundred-fall-20-per-cent-serious-blow-competition/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
BBC viewing figures for the Hundred fall by up to 20 per cent in serious blow to competition
Exclusive: A slump from an average of 615,000 viewers per match last summer to just over 500,000 this term will worry the ECB

ByNick Hoult, CHIEF CRICKET CORRESPONDENT and Tom Morgan, SPORTS NEWS CORRESPONDENT
1 September 2022 • 7:30am
The Hundred appears to be contending with a declining viewership in its second year
The Hundred appears to be contending with a declining viewership in its second year CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
BBC audiences for the Hundred are dipping by up to 20 per cent in a setback for cricketing chiefs overseeing the format's second year.

A fall from an average of 615,000 per match last summer to just over 500,000 this campaign comes despite bumper numbers for Test match highlights.

Ben Stokes and the England team are now pulling in one million-plus BBC Two numbers – double the Hundred's current average.

Figures obtained by Telegraph Sport show a particular slump for the new competition in recent weeks:

Aug 28: 490,000 watched Birmingham Phoenix men vs Manchester Originals (a 6..7 per cent fall on normal BBC Two audiences at that time).
Aug 24: 260,000 viewed London Spirit women vs Welsh Fire women, while 570,000 tuned in for the men's match (eight per cent down on normal audience).
Aug 22: 320,000 watched the Welsh Fire women vs Southern Brave women afternoon match, while 480,000 watched the later men's match (seven per cent down).
Aug 14: 500,000 viewed Northern Superchargers men vs London Spirit men (up 2.9 per cent)
Aug 11: 510,000 watched Oval Invincibles men vs Northern Superchargers men (down seven per cent).
Overall, figures from the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board conservatively suggest viewing is down around 18.9 per cent on last year's tournament, when the two 2021 finals are not included.

There was much fanfare around the launch of the Hundred last summer, and sources close to the BBC suggested there may be a host of factors behind the drop in viewer numbers rather than a specific fall in interest in the format.

The Oval Invincibles taking on the Northern Superchargers in mid-August
The Oval Invincibles taking on the Northern Superchargers in mid-August CREDIT: PA
Tom Harrington, an analyst at Enders Analysis, said: "Maybe up to half of that decrease you could put down to general decline in television viewing, while the rest would be due to some combination of fixture quality, competition in slots and loss of interest in the event itself."

The BBC numbers paint only a partial picture as coverage is shared with Sky Sports, but the paid-for broadcaster's viewing figures were unavailable for like-for-like comparison. Whatever the reason for the fall in viewers, the numbers will concern the England and Wales Cricket Board, given the Hundred got off to such a promising start on the BBC.

Read more at
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/09/01/bbc-viewing-figures-hundred-fall-20-per-cent-serious-blow-competition/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rh

Re: The Hundred appears to be contending with a declining viewership

<e3efa5e0-d223-47a2-9a9c-ae28979f311dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22424&group=uk.sport.cricket#22424

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 03:06:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 10:06 UTC

On Friday, September 2, 2022 at 9:02:53 AM UTC+1, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > The BBC numbers paint only a partial picture as coverage is shared with Sky Sports, but the paid-for broadcaster's viewing figures were unavailable for like-for-like comparison. Whatever the reason for the fall in viewers, the numbers will concern the England and Wales Cricket Board, given the Hundred got off to such a promising start on the BBC.
> >
> > Read more at
> > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/09/01/bbc-viewing-figures-hundred-fall-20-per-cent-serious-blow-competition/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rh
> It was destined to FAIL from the beginning.
>
> What's the point of having a successful 120 ball T20 and then creating a
> 100 ball game to compete with it? >
> Never made ANY logical or even financial sense.

It potentially makes a good deal of sense to the senior ECB officers who hope it will make oodles of money allowing Premiership football levels of salaries/bonuses to be paid to them. RH