Practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their thinking. -- Mary Poppins

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / New Balls

SubjectAuthor
* New Ballsmike
`* Re: New BallsMike Holmans
 `* Re: New Ballsmike
  `- Re: New Ballsmax.it

1
New Balls

<2fb81efd-d199-4b15-b50c-a8e5e4a0fb4an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22442&group=uk.sport.cricket#22442

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 06:33:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: New Balls
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 13:33 UTC

Apparently theyve been losing their shape much quicker than usual. Broad had quite a tirade about them in the last test, and many have complained in the counties as well that these new ones dont last long. Theyr hand made by a indian man who says each ball takes 3hrs to make and cost £50 each, which seems very expensive to me. When I last played you could get a box of 6 for less than that from Readers or similar and I could buy 1 made in india in a sports shop for just £1.

I recall in the NZ series the bowlers on both sides were constantly
trying to get the ball changed, but thats what they often do when the balls
doing nothing, and with a flatter seam thats more likely. I dont think I played in a match more than 40 or 50 overs so it was rare that a ball needed changing. If it did it was probably cos the seam had split. I did notice that the white and pink balls tended to fall apart quicker.

mike

Re: New Balls

<mvm6hh9dngdeah3b469ado3a2tml3i0nac@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22445&group=uk.sport.cricket#22445

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: New Balls
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 14:52:30 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 13:52 UTC

On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 06:33:31 -0700 (PDT), mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>Apparently theyve been losing their shape much quicker than usual. Broad had quite a tirade about them in the last test, and many have complained in the counties as well that these new ones dont last long. Theyr hand made by a indian man who says each ball takes 3hrs to make and cost £50 each, which seems very expensive to me.

I thought they were £80.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: New Balls

<2868bcc7-e218-44aa-bef0-6527dbb111afn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22451&group=uk.sport.cricket#22451

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 14:02:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 21:02 UTC

On Saturday, September 3, 2022 at 2:52:32 PM UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 06:33:31 -0700 (PDT), mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >Apparently theyve been losing their shape much quicker than usual. Broad had quite a tirade about them in the last test, and many have complained in the counties as well that these new ones dont last long. Theyr hand made by a indian man who says each ball takes 3hrs to make and cost £50 each, which seems very expensive to me.
> I thought they were £80.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

the man who makes them, mr Dilip Jajodia says he gives a discount to clubs so its £50 plus vat.
he said that covid affected both the manufacture and supply chains, and this led to a shortage
of balls in warehouses where they have to mature. i wonder if the problem is that due to demand,
this led to them selling balls which wernt mature enough, because theyr still quite soft
after manufacture and if used too soon, that could be why so many are going out of shape.

mike

Re: New Balls

<h9i7hhl7fn9f9rg4fgecqdkqbon6jpd3rf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22454&group=uk.sport.cricket#22454

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 22:44:01 +0100
 by: max.it - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 21:44 UTC

On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 14:02:01 -0700 (PDT), mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Saturday, September 3, 2022 at 2:52:32 PM UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 06:33:31 -0700 (PDT), mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>> >Apparently theyve been losing their shape much quicker than usual. Broad had quite a tirade about them in the last test, and many have complained in the counties as well that these new ones dont last long. Theyr hand made by a indian man who says each ball takes 3hrs to make and cost £50 each, which seems very expensive to me.
>> I thought they were £80.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mike
>
>the man who makes them, mr Dilip Jajodia says he gives a discount to clubs so its £50 plus vat.
>he said that covid affected both the manufacture and supply chains, and this led to a shortage
>of balls in warehouses where they have to mature. i wonder if the problem is that due to demand,
>this led to them selling balls which wernt mature enough, because theyr still quite soft
>after manufacture and if used too soon, that could be why so many are going out of shape.
>
>mike

Every few seasons there is the 'bad batch of balls' issue.
I've seen a documentory with that Dilip lad going over the process of
making his cricket balls.
For some reason or other I was going through an old English census
register from a year I can't remember early 20th or late 19th century.
There were a big lot of of people whose occupation was given as
cricket ball makers or bat makers or cricket equipment vendors. You
could have been fully kitted out without leaving your street.

max.it