It's not whether you win or lose but how you played the game. -- Grantland Rice

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Bletchley Flyover re-building pictures

SubjectAuthor
* Bletchley Flyover re-building picturesRecliner
+* Bletchley Flyover re-building picturesNY
|`* Bletchley Flyover re-building picturesRecliner
| `* Bletchley Flyover re-building picturesNY
|  `- Bletchley Flyover re-building picturesRecliner
`- Bletchley Flyover re-building picturesRecliner

1
Bletchley Flyover re-building pictures

<2hqkaghe3083lhg1qdeo1gu1t0c8hpqeg3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=84&group=uk.railway#84

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Bletchley Flyover re-building pictures
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 15:52:47 +0100
 by: Recliner - Sun, 23 May 2021 14:52 UTC

As many will know, the old Bletchley flyover has been under reconstruction for EWR over the last year, and the section
bridging the WCML was completed structurally over the early May bank holiday. The reconstructed bridge is now much wider
and is more of a covered way or box tunnel than a simple flyover. The WCML tracks are spanned by 103 pre-cast concrete
beams, of which 14 support the OLE below.

I passed under it for the first time since the line was re-opened yesterday, and took a few pictures:

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157719246574273>

Re: Bletchley Flyover re-building pictures

<s8e5dj$sv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107&group=uk.railway#107

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Bletchley Flyover re-building pictures
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 19:02:43 +0100
 by: NY - Sun, 23 May 2021 18:02 UTC

"Recliner" <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> As many will know, the old Bletchley flyover has been under reconstruction
> for EWR over the last year, and the section
> bridging the WCML was completed structurally over the early May bank
> holiday. The reconstructed bridge is now much wider
> and is more of a covered way or box tunnel than a simple flyover. The WCML
> tracks are spanned by 103 pre-cast concrete
> beams, of which 14 support the OLE below.
>
> I passed under it for the first time since the line was re-opened
> yesterday, and took a few pictures:
>
> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157719246574273>

Is the intention still to build a couple of platforms at Bletchley for the
Bicester-Bedford route, which will use the flyover, on the "siding" curve
pointed to in
https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?x=487010&y=234160&z=120&sv=487010,234160&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map&searchp=ids&dn=704&lm=0
slightly east of the double-track line from Bletchley station towards
Bedford?

Re: Bletchley Flyover re-building pictures

<s8ef13$r8a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110&group=uk.railway#110

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 20:47:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:aoRpFF9TpRXmtcluXSQooE6YpUI=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 23 May 2021 20:47 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> "Recliner" <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> As many will know, the old Bletchley flyover has been under reconstruction
>> for EWR over the last year, and the section
>> bridging the WCML was completed structurally over the early May bank
>> holiday. The reconstructed bridge is now much wider
>> and is more of a covered way or box tunnel than a simple flyover. The WCML
>> tracks are spanned by 103 pre-cast concrete
>> beams, of which 14 support the OLE below.
>>
>> I passed under it for the first time since the line was re-opened
>> yesterday, and took a few pictures:
>>
>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157719246574273>
>
> Is the intention still to build a couple of platforms at Bletchley for the
> Bicester-Bedford route, which will use the flyover, on the "siding" curve
> pointed to in
> https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?x=487010&y=234160&z=120&sv=487010,234160&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map&searchp=ids&dn=704&lm=0
>
> slightly east of the double-track line from Bletchley station towards
> Bedford?

Yes, just to the east of the new bridge. I'm not sure whether it'll be an
island platform or two side platforms — the much wider bridge would make
either possible.

Re: Bletchley Flyover re-building pictures

<s8fp2e$226$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124&group=uk.railway#124

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 09:44:58 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 24 May 2021 08:44 UTC

> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> "Recliner" <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> As many will know, the old Bletchley flyover has been under
>>> reconstruction
>>> for EWR over the last year, and the section
>>> bridging the WCML was completed structurally over the early May bank
>>> holiday. The reconstructed bridge is now much wider
>>> and is more of a covered way or box tunnel than a simple flyover. The
>>> WCML
>>> tracks are spanned by 103 pre-cast concrete
>>> beams, of which 14 support the OLE below.
>>>
>>> I passed under it for the first time since the line was re-opened
>>> yesterday, and took a few pictures:
>>>
>>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157719246574273>
>>
>> Is the intention still to build a couple of platforms at Bletchley for
>> the
>> Bicester-Bedford route, which will use the flyover, on the "siding" curve
>> pointed to in
>> https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?x=487010&y=234160&z=120&sv=487010,234160&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map&searchp=ids&dn=704&lm=0
>>
>> slightly east of the double-track line from Bletchley station towards
>> Bedford?
>>

> Yes, just to the east of the new bridge. I'm not sure whether it'll be an
> island platform or two side platforms — the much wider bridge would make
> either possible.

I suppose if the platforms were far enough south, before the split between
the line to WCML north and the "siding line" towards Bedford, then it could
serve for Bicester/Aylesbury-Milton Keynes trains. I imagine that trains
from Oxford will go either to MK or to Bedford, but Aylesbury trains may
only go to MK, so Aylesbury to Bedford passengers would need to be able to
change at Bedford.

Are there still plans for the line from Aylesbury to Calvert to be ungraded
to passenger standard and trains to run towards Bletchley, or has this part
of the East-West route been put on hold?

Re: Bletchley Flyover re-building pictures

<s8fr66$9eb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125&group=uk.railway#125

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 09:21:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ps4Le4mTfy1gKb/NZrc639cagcg=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 24 May 2021 09:21 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> "Recliner" <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>> "Recliner" <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Is the intention still to build a couple of platforms at Bletchley for
>>> the
>>> Bicester-Bedford route, which will use the flyover, on the "siding" curve
>>> pointed to in
>>> https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?x=487010&y=234160&z=120&sv=487010,234160&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map&searchp=ids&dn=704&lm=0
>>>
>>> slightly east of the double-track line from Bletchley station towards
>>> Bedford?
>>>

>> Yes, just to the east of the new bridge. I'm not sure whether it'll be an
>> island platform or two side platforms — the much wider bridge would make
>> either possible.
>
> I suppose if the platforms were far enough south, before the split between
> the line to WCML north and the "siding line" towards Bedford, then it could
> serve for Bicester/Aylesbury-Milton Keynes trains. I imagine that trains
> from Oxford will go either to MK or to Bedford, but Aylesbury trains may
> only go to MK, so Aylesbury to Bedford passengers would need to be able to
> change at Bedford.
>
> Are there still plans for the line from Aylesbury to Calvert to be ungraded
> to passenger standard and trains to run towards Bletchley, or has this part
> of the East-West route been put on hold?

It's been quietly put on hold: not officially dropped, but not mentioned
recently. I get the feeling it may have been deferred to a later stage of
EWR. Apart from deferring the cost, that may also be because that
single-track line will also be used by HS2 construction trains, and they
take priority. The HS2 Infrastructure Maintenance Depot will also be
accessed via that line.

<https://hs2ltd.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/infrastructure_maintenance_depot.pdf>

Re: Bletchley Flyover re-building pictures

<sb49bd$1sg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2245&group=uk.railway#2245

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 09:58:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5KFqah5/k8yKtywSw8ZZDoGtO0I=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 09:58 UTC

I've come across this video of the construction of the new flyover:

https://youtu.be/xB3HkPpzAd0