When it comes to helping you, some people stop at nothing.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Days and/or Nights

SubjectAuthor
* Days and/or NightsTone
+- Days and/or NightsBrian Gaff
+* Days and/or Nightsnev young
|+- Days and/or NightsTease'n'Seize
|`- Days and/or NightsRustyHinge
+* Days and/or Nightshubops
|`* Days and/or NightsTone
| `* Days and/or Nightsme9
|  +- Days and/or NightsRustyHinge
|  `* Days and/or NightsTone
|   `- Days and/or NightsNicholas D. Richards
+- Days and/or NightsSam Plusnet
`* Days and/or Nightsme9
 `* Days and/or NightsBrian Gaff
  `* Days and/or NightsTone
   `* Days and/or NightsBrian Gaff
    `* Days and/or NightsTone
     `- Days and/or NightsTone

1
Days and/or Nights

<u8l6a8$36c5q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22494&group=uk.rec.sheds#22494

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Days and/or Nights
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 04:22:47 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 03:22 UTC

For years I worked nights. Mostly driving trunk loads up and down from
Scotland to Hertfordshire, before and after the M5 link was built, but
also wide or heavy low loader work all over the UK.

Prior to that in the FAA I worked a 12 on, 24 hour off watch system,
fettling Sea Vixens on 766 Sqdn, Yeovilton, for several years. Believe
me the body never gets used that!

Then later, on board The Victorious or detached to RFA Olynthus,
fettling Wessex helicopters, we worked day and/or night as required.

Now I am well and truly retired I find it very hard to sleep at night.
Pain control (mostly whisky) has some bearing on that!

I can sleep in the mornings, dead to the world, but that isn't
convenient for my mail deliveries or district nurse visits, or calling
'friends' who keep waking me up.

Hence I now sleep when I'm tired, day or rarely, night, sometimes in my
armchair, sometimes (if I make it) in my bed.

In fact, I tend to do my best work at night, writing, pre-recording
shows etc.

But it does make me anti-social.

Any other sheddi with a similar sorta promble?

Tone

Re: Days and/or Nights

<u8llqj$37pfl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22496&group=uk.rec.sheds#22496

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Days and/or Nights
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:47:30 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:47 UTC

There a lot of non 24 folk about. Lots of blind people have this kind of
issue, due to not being able to synchronise with the days. Some say
melatonin is the answer to shift the clocks, but others say it has no
effect on them. I suspect yours is due as you say to having continuously
varied work times. If it was not for your nurse visits, then my feeling is
go with it. Maybe you can talk to the people who send nurses etc, and try to
find a window that does not affect you too much.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
> For years I worked nights. Mostly driving trunk loads up and down from
> Scotland to Hertfordshire, before and after the M5 link was built, but
> also wide or heavy low loader work all over the UK.
>
> Prior to that in the FAA I worked a 12 on, 24 hour off watch system,
> fettling Sea Vixens on 766 Sqdn, Yeovilton, for several years. Believe me
> the body never gets used that!
>
> Then later, on board The Victorious or detached to RFA Olynthus, fettling
> Wessex helicopters, we worked day and/or night as required.
>
> Now I am well and truly retired I find it very hard to sleep at night.
> Pain control (mostly whisky) has some bearing on that!
>
> I can sleep in the mornings, dead to the world, but that isn't convenient
> for my mail deliveries or district nurse visits, or calling 'friends' who
> keep waking me up.
>
> Hence I now sleep when I'm tired, day or rarely, night, sometimes in my
> armchair, sometimes (if I make it) in my bed.
>
> In fact, I tend to do my best work at night, writing, pre-recording shows
> etc.
>
> But it does make me anti-social.
>
> Any other sheddi with a similar sorta promble?
>
> Tone

Re: Days and/or Nights

<u8lt5s$38d99$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22497&group=uk.rec.sheds#22497

From: newsforp...@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:53:00 +0100
 by: nev young - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:53 UTC

On 12/07/2023 04:22, Tone wrote:

> Any other sheddi with a similar sorta promble?

I'm also in the can't sleep at night, can't stay awake at day, club.

I found a partial cure, well it jbexf for me.
Turn on the GI in the bedroom and I'm dead to the world in about 20
mins. But don't forget to set the GI sleep timer !

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Re: Days and/or Nights

<ZPmdnXX7P6YxHTP5nZ2dnZfqnPpi4p2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22498&group=uk.rec.sheds#22498

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:30:06 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:30 UTC

nev young wrote:

> I found a partial cure, well it jbexf for me. Turn on the GI in the
> bedroom and I'm dead to the world in about 20 mins.

Play a podcast that's only semi-interesting.

Re: Days and/or Nights

<u8m07u$38r0p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22502&group=uk.rec.sheds#22502

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:45:18 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:45 UTC

On 12/07/2023 10:53, nev young wrote:
> On 12/07/2023 04:22, Tone wrote:
>

>> Any other sheddi with a similar sorta promble?
>>
> I'm also in the can't sleep at night, can't stay awake at day, club.
>
> I found a partial cure, well it jbexf for me.
> Turn on the GI in the bedroom and I'm dead to the world in about 20
> mins. But don't forget to set the GI sleep timer !

I have no trouble sleeping (anytime), but if I had a GI it'd send me to
sleep better than anything else.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Days and/or Nights

<mo6tai98cfia0kot0v2n953bgs09mr34ho@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22505&group=uk.rec.sheds#22505

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:40:02 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 12:40 UTC

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 04:22:47 +0100, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

>For years I worked nights. Mostly driving trunk loads up and down from
>Scotland to Hertfordshire, before and after the M5 link was built, but
>also wide or heavy low loader work all over the UK.
>
>Prior to that in the FAA I worked a 12 on, 24 hour off watch system,
>fettling Sea Vixens on 766 Sqdn, Yeovilton, for several years. Believe
>me the body never gets used that!
>
>Then later, on board The Victorious or detached to RFA Olynthus,
>fettling Wessex helicopters, we worked day and/or night as required.
>
>Now I am well and truly retired I find it very hard to sleep at night.
>Pain control (mostly whisky) has some bearing on that!
>
>I can sleep in the mornings, dead to the world, but that isn't
>convenient for my mail deliveries or district nurse visits, or calling
>'friends' who keep waking me up.
>
>Hence I now sleep when I'm tired, day or rarely, night, sometimes in my
>armchair, sometimes (if I make it) in my bed.
>
>In fact, I tend to do my best work at night, writing, pre-recording
>shows etc.
>
>But it does make me anti-social.
>
>Any other sheddi with a similar sorta promble?
>
>Tone

I worked 24 x 7 8-hour shifts for a dozen years, then another
dozen years 24 x 7 12-hour shifts before 10 years of M-F days.
Now a dozen years retired, still having irregular sleeps.
My best sleeps are after a busy day of fresh air activity.
While a snoot-ful of booze helps in falling asleep
it results in a poor quality of sleep and a wee hangover.
John T.

Re: Days and/or Nights

<u8m8jt$39kqe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22506&group=uk.rec.sheds#22506

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 14:08:12 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:08 UTC

On 12/07/2023 13:40, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> it results in a poor quality of sleep and a wee hangover

Have you tried weeing sitting down?

Tone

Re: Days and/or Nights

<5iDrM.262643$RWb2.6628@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22510&group=uk.rec.sheds#22510

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 20:37:38 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:37 UTC

On 12-Jul-23 4:22, Tone wrote:
> For years I worked nights. Mostly driving trunk loads up and down from
> Scotland to Hertfordshire, before and after the M5 link was built, but
> also wide or heavy low loader work all over the UK.
>
> Prior to that in the FAA I worked a 12 on, 24 hour off watch system,
> fettling Sea Vixens on 766 Sqdn, Yeovilton, for several years. Believe
> me the body never gets used that!
>
> Then later, on board The Victorious or detached to RFA Olynthus,
> fettling Wessex helicopters, we worked day and/or night as required.
>
> Now I am well and truly retired I find it very hard to sleep at night.
> Pain control (mostly whisky) has some bearing on that!
>
> I can sleep in the mornings, dead to the world, but that isn't
> convenient for my mail deliveries or district nurse visits, or calling
> 'friends' who keep waking me up.
>
> Hence I now sleep when I'm tired, day or rarely, night, sometimes in my
> armchair, sometimes (if I make it) in my bed.
>
> In fact, I tend to do my best work at night, writing, pre-recording
> shows etc.
>
> But it does make me anti-social.
>
> Any other sheddi with a similar sorta promble?

Sorta.

I is, by nature, a night-owl. So is SWMBO.

For yearsnyears the alarm went off at O'dark-thirty and I would have to
drag myself out of my pit & go to jbex despite having only (mebbe) 4 or
5 hours sleep (on a good day).

Now we are both retarded/W retired, we can stay up as late as we like, &
only get up when we feel so inclined.

I told myself that, once we get that out of our systems, we'll go back
to 'normal hours'.

Ten years later...

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Days and/or Nights

<mpro.rxpngc003gto503o4.me9@privacy.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22512&group=uk.rec.sheds#22512

From: me9...@privacy.net (me9)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 02:14:36 +0100
 by: me9 - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 01:14 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> Have you tried weeing sitting down?

If I do that I wake up needing another wee.

--
braind

Re: Days and/or Nights

<mpro.rxpndv003ex5q03o4.me9@privacy.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22513&group=uk.rec.sheds#22513

From: me9...@privacy.net (me9)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 02:13:07 +0100
 by: me9 - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 01:13 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> For years I worked nights. Mostly driving trunk loads up and down from
> Scotland to Hertfordshire, before and after the M5 link was built, but
> also wide or heavy low loader work all over the UK.
>
> Prior to that in the FAA I worked a 12 on, 24 hour off watch system,
> fettling Sea Vixens on 766 Sqdn, Yeovilton, for several years. Believe me
> the body never gets used that!
>
> Then later, on board The Victorious or detached to RFA Olynthus, fettling
> Wessex helicopters, we worked day and/or night as required.
>
> Now I am well and truly retired I find it very hard to sleep at night.
> Pain control (mostly whisky) has some bearing on that!
>
> I can sleep in the mornings, dead to the world, but that isn't convenient
> for my mail deliveries or district nurse visits, or calling 'friends' who
> keep waking me up.
>
> Hence I now sleep when I'm tired, day or rarely, night, sometimes in my
> armchair, sometimes (if I make it) in my bed.
>
> In fact, I tend to do my best work at night, writing, pre-recording shows
> etc.
>
> But it does make me anti-social.
>
> Any other sheddi with a similar sorta promble?
>
> Tone

YES.

--
braind

Re: Days and/or Nights

<u8njd7$3e1rf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22515&group=uk.rec.sheds#22515

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 02:18:31 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 01:18 UTC

On 13/07/2023 02:14, me9 wrote:
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you tried weeing sitting down?
>>
> If I do that I wake up needing another wee.

It's *that* satisfying?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Days and/or Nights

<u8nk0s$3e3f8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22516&group=uk.rec.sheds#22516

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 02:28:59 +0100
 by: Tone - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 01:28 UTC

On 13/07/2023 02:14, me9 wrote:
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you tried weeing sitting down?
>>
> If I do that I wake up needing another wee.

That is far better than dreaming you are having a wee.
Tone

Re: Days and/or Nights

<u8ob9v$3joao$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22523&group=uk.rec.sheds#22523

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 09:06:20 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 08:06 UTC

I was always curious about see vixens. Seems a strange name for a plane and
there was, as far as I could tell a non sea version, ie a Vixen.
The twin boom tail seemed a very strange design choice as well.
I also recall the Buccaneers where anything that could fold, did. I looked
at some back in the day at a naval show, and was rather worried to see that
it looked like they were going rusty near where they hinged, painted over to
hide it.
Brian

--

--:
"me9" <me9@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>
>> For years I worked nights. Mostly driving trunk loads up and down from
>> Scotland to Hertfordshire, before and after the M5 link was built, but
>> also wide or heavy low loader work all over the UK.
>>
>> Prior to that in the FAA I worked a 12 on, 24 hour off watch system,
>> fettling Sea Vixens on 766 Sqdn, Yeovilton, for several years. Believe me
>> the body never gets used that!
>>
>> Then later, on board The Victorious or detached to RFA Olynthus, fettling
>> Wessex helicopters, we worked day and/or night as required.
>>
>> Now I am well and truly retired I find it very hard to sleep at night.
>> Pain control (mostly whisky) has some bearing on that!
>>
>> I can sleep in the mornings, dead to the world, but that isn't convenient
>> for my mail deliveries or district nurse visits, or calling 'friends' who
>> keep waking me up.
>>
>> Hence I now sleep when I'm tired, day or rarely, night, sometimes in my
>> armchair, sometimes (if I make it) in my bed.
>>
>> In fact, I tend to do my best work at night, writing, pre-recording shows
>> etc.
>>
>> But it does make me anti-social.
>>
>> Any other sheddi with a similar sorta promble?
>>
>> Tone
>

> YES.
>
> --
> braind

Re: Days and/or Nights

<u8oi1e$3kcig$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22525&group=uk.rec.sheds#22525

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:01:17 +0100
 by: Tone - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 10:01 UTC

On 13/07/2023 09:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I was always curious about see vixens. Seems a strange name for a plane and
> there was, as far as I could tell a non sea version, ie a Vixen.
> The twin boom tail seemed a very strange design choice as well.
> I also recall the Buccaneers where anything that could fold, did. I looked
> at some back in the day at a naval show, and was rather worried to see that
> it looked like they were going rusty near where they hinged, painted over to
> hide it.
> Brian

It was originally the De Havilland 110. In my yoof I used to see them on
test flights as we lived not far from De Havilland at Hatfied.

The twin boom design followed on from the Vampire and Venom and was a
proven concept. The 1952 tragedy at the Farnborough Air Show that killed
test pilot John Derry, his observer Anthony Richards and 29 spectators
was caused by wing failure, not the booms. The wing design was
strengthened on subsequent airframes.

You are right about the wing-fold corrosion on Buccaneers. Large chunks
of Magnesium alloy exposed to salt sea spray.

Tone

Re: Days and/or Nights

<n+ImHaA3kGskFAdT@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22529&group=uk.rec.sheds#22529

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 22:14:31 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 21:14 UTC

In article <u8nk0s$3e3f8$1@dont-email.me>, Tone <tone@email.com> on
Thu, 13 Jul 2023 at 02:28:59 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 13/07/2023 02:14, me9 wrote:
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Have you tried weeing sitting down?
>>>
>> If I do that I wake up needing another wee.
>>

>That is far better than dreaming you are having a wee.

For dreaming read having a nightmare.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Days and/or Nights

<u90arp$nogm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22563&group=uk.rec.sheds#22563

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 09:47:52 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 08:47 UTC

Ah I see. Which plane was it I heard go down at Bigin Hill a few years ago,
due to flame out at a low altitude, I think both crew died. It was a
privately owned one, was it the Venom?
Brian

--

--:
> On 13/07/2023 09:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I was always curious about see vixens. Seems a strange name for a plane
>> and
>> there was, as far as I could tell a non sea version, ie a Vixen.
>> The twin boom tail seemed a very strange design choice as well.
>> I also recall the Buccaneers where anything that could fold, did. I
>> looked
>> at some back in the day at a naval show, and was rather worried to see
>> that
>> it looked like they were going rusty near where they hinged, painted over
>> hide it.
>> Brian
>
> It was originally the De Havilland 110. In my yoof I used to see them on
> test flights as we lived not far from De Havilland at Hatfied.
>
> The twin boom design followed on from the Vampire and Venom and was a
> proven concept. The 1952 tragedy at the Farnborough Air Show that killed
> test pilot John Derry, his observer Anthony Richards and 29 spectators was
> caused by wing failure, not the booms. The wing design was strengthened on
> subsequent airframes.
>
> You are right about the wing-fold corrosion on Buccaneers. Large chunks of
> Magnesium alloy exposed to salt sea spray.
>
> Tone

Re: Days and/or Nights

<u910qd$prvp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22567&group=uk.rec.sheds#22567

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 16:02:37 +0100
 by: Tone - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 15:02 UTC

On 16/07/2023 09:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Ah I see. Which plane was it I heard go down at Bigin Hill a few years ago,
> due to flame out at a low altitude, I think both crew died. It was a
> privately owned one, was it the Venom?
> Brian

Twaz a privately owned and rebuilt Vampire trainer. It was following the
last flying Sea Vixen in formation when it was upset by jet efflux and
wing tip vortices. It suddenly inverted and flew into the ground. The
owner/pilot and his passenger stood no chance of escape.

The Sea Vixen is no longer flying. It suffered a nose wheel
undercarriage collapse on landing some years ago, which damaged the
under-belly of the airframe. Viable replacement parts are almost
impossible to find.

Tone

Re: Days and/or Nights

<u92e7v$122qk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22595&group=uk.rec.sheds#22595

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 04:57:51 +0100
 by: Tone - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 03:57 UTC

On 16/07/2023 16:02, Tone wrote:
> On 16/07/2023 09:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Ah I see. Which  plane was it I heard go down at Bigin Hill a few
>> years ago,
>> due to flame out at a low altitude, I think both crew died. It was a
>> privately owned one, was it the Venom?
>>   Brian
>>

> Twaz a privately owned and rebuilt Vampire trainer. It was following the
> last flying Sea Vixen in formation when it was upset by jet efflux and
> wing tip vortices. It suddenly inverted and flew into the ground. The
> owner/pilot and his passenger stood no chance of escape.
>
> The Sea Vixen is no longer flying. It suffered a nose wheel
> undercarriage collapse on landing some years ago, which damaged the
> under-belly of the airframe. Viable replacement parts are almost
> impossible to find.
>
> Tone

A comment I have just found on farcebucket that I hadn't heard before:

John Humphreys
I can recall clearly a conversation with a former vampire pilot
instructor back 40+ years ago telling me the vampire had a nasty habit
of spinning inverted when it got into the spin. I wonder if the vixen
had the same attribute?

Tone