I love you more than anything in this world. I don't expect that will last. -- Elvis Costello

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: On The Scaffold

SubjectAuthor
* On The ScaffoldTone
+* On The ScaffoldMike Spencer
|+* On The ScaffoldKerr-Mudd, John
||`* On The ScaffoldMike Spencer
|| `- On The ScaffoldKerr-Mudd, John
|+- On The Scaffoldhubops
|`* On The ScaffoldJim the Geordie
| `* On The ScaffoldNicholas D. Richards
|  +- On The ScaffoldRichard Robinson
|  `* On The ScaffoldSam Plusnet
|   +- On The ScaffoldNicholas D. Richards
|   `- On The ScaffoldJames Heaton
+* On The ScaffoldBob Henson
|+* On The ScaffoldChris Elvidge
||+* On The ScaffoldBob Henson
|||+- On The ScaffoldChris Elvidge
|||`- On The ScaffoldRichard Robinson
||`- On The ScaffoldNicholas D. Richards
|`* On The ScaffoldNicholas D. Richards
| `* On The Scaffoldmaus
|  +* On The ScaffoldMike Spencer
|  |+- On The Scaffoldmaus
|  |`- On The ScaffoldTone
|  `- On The ScaffoldJulian Macassey
`- On The ScaffoldBrian Gaff

1
On The Scaffold

<u8hujf$2kt7m$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22432&group=uk.rec.sheds#22432

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: On The Scaffold
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 22:52:46 +0100
 by: Tone - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 21:52 UTC

They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
sizes.

We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
it** around!

They are noisy gubbers though! Apparently it is against the law for
scaffolders to put anything down quietly. They have to throw it!

I am now encaged.

*See what I did there?

** The scaffolding, not the building.

Tone

Re: On The Scaffold

<877cr6dhv0.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22438&group=uk.rec.sheds#22438

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: On The Scaffold
Date: 11 Jul 2023 04:31:31 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:31 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> writes:

> They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
> a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
> sizes.
>
> We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
> day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
> it** around!

An instance of scaffolding all to the good: On my only visit to
England, the iron bridge at Ironbridge was cloaked in scaffolding and
tarpaulins, making it impossible to take photos of the bridge.

All okay as I could ohl photos of the bridge. The scaffolding allowed
me to climb up into the structure to take close-up photos of the
joinery and the tarps offered some partial concealment from potential
disapproving interest from ecilops. A Sunday so no workpersons to
question me either.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: On The Scaffold

<880dz7s8f3j3$.13ds5kw6rarzn$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22439&group=uk.rec.sheds#22439

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:53:53 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 08:53 UTC

Tone wrote:

> They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
> a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
> sizes.
>
> We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
> day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
> it** around!
>
> They are noisy gubbers though! Apparently it is against the law for
> scaffolders to put anything down quietly. They have to throw it!
>
> I am now encaged.
>
> *See what I did there?
>
> ** The scaffolding, not the building.

Whenever scaffolding is mentioned I think of Istanbul. Many years back I
went there and was fascinated/horrified to see a multi-storey building
(they were already several levels up) being built with wooden scaffolding
which had obviously been used quite a few times already. When it was time
to move up one level they just roped and/or nailed another level to the one
they were standing on and moved up onto it. I know excessive 'Elfin Safely
can be a nuisance here, but I hope they've got some out there by now.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Re: On The Scaffold

<20230711110717.ffc35ed46ab2248bd7f5774a@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22448&group=uk.rec.sheds#22448

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:07:17 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 10:07 UTC

On 11 Jul 2023 04:31:31 -0300
Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> Tone <tone@email.com> writes:
>
> > They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
> > a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
> > sizes.
> >
> > We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
> > day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
> > it** around!
>
> An instance of scaffolding all to the good: On my only visit to
> England, the iron bridge at Ironbridge was cloaked in scaffolding and
> tarpaulins, making it impossible to take photos of the bridge.
>
> All okay as I could ohl photos of the bridge. The scaffolding allowed
> me to climb up into the structure to take close-up photos of the
> joinery and the tarps offered some partial concealment from potential
> disapproving interest from ecilops. A Sunday so no workpersons to
> question me either.

I've had just such a visit myself! Maybe we there the same day (or, more
likely visited in the same 2 year period).

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: On The Scaffold

<u8janh$2svo6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22451&group=uk.rec.sheds#22451

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:25:52 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 10:25 UTC

Yes then comes the blue pvc sheeting on the outside so every time they sling
stuff down it is retained at the bottom of the building where they can pick
it up and put it in the skip, again making as much noise as possible,
usually around tea time.
I know this as where we have what is laughingly called a studio is in the
annexe of a block to which they are affixing these windows. I do think that
having looked well felt, at how these have been fitted with big gaps filled
with foam and some render, is hardly going to be of very much good if there
was a fire, unlike the older single glazed metal frames.
Shades of Grenfell without the cladding.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
> They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's a
> lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
> sizes.
>
> We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all day.
> They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving it**
> around!
>
> They are noisy gubbers though! Apparently it is against the law for
> scaffolders to put anything down quietly. They have to throw it!
>
> I am now encaged.
>
> *See what I did there?
>
> ** The scaffolding, not the building.
>
> Tone

Re: On The Scaffold

<1ceqaitqpluuro6331462kg057tvq4g785@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22454&group=uk.rec.sheds#22454

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:16:12 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:16 UTC

On 11 Jul 2023 04:31:31 -0300, Mike Spencer
<mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

>Tone <tone@email.com> writes:
>
>> They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
>> a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
>> sizes.
>>
>> We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
>> day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
>> it** around!
>
>An instance of scaffolding all to the good: On my only visit to
>England, the iron bridge at Ironbridge was cloaked in scaffolding and
>tarpaulins, making it impossible to take photos of the bridge.
>
>All okay as I could ohl photos of the bridge. The scaffolding allowed
>me to climb up into the structure to take close-up photos of the
>joinery and the tarps offered some partial concealment from potential
>disapproving interest from ecilops. A Sunday so no workpersons to
>question me either.

.... somewhere I have a photo of an Irish castle ~ half covered
in scaffold - but certainly no pics from _on_ it !
John T.

Re: On The Scaffold

<u8jedi$2tb0t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22455&group=uk.rec.sheds#22455

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:28:47 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:28 UTC

On 11/07/2023 09:53, Bob Henson wrote:
> Tone wrote:
>
>> They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
>> a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
>> sizes.
>>
>> We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
>> day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
>> it** around!
>>
>> They are noisy gubbers though! Apparently it is against the law for
>> scaffolders to put anything down quietly. They have to throw it!
>>
>> I am now encaged.
>>
>> *See what I did there?
>>
>> ** The scaffolding, not the building.
>
> Whenever scaffolding is mentioned I think of Istanbul. Many years back I
> went there and was fascinated/horrified to see a multi-storey building
> (they were already several levels up) being built with wooden scaffolding
> which had obviously been used quite a few times already. When it was time
> to move up one level they just roped and/or nailed another level to the one
> they were standing on and moved up onto it. I know excessive 'Elfin Safely
> can be a nuisance here, but I hope they've got some out there by now.

See both India and Hong Kong - bamboo scaffolding.
https://safewayscaffolding.co.uk/bamboo-scaffolding-benefits/

--

Chris Elvidge, England
I AM SO VERY TIRED

Re: On The Scaffold

<fs23lr19yx30$.yjb1it4w6p33$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22459&group=uk.rec.sheds#22459

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:40:25 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:40 UTC

Chris Elvidge wrote:

> On 11/07/2023 09:53, Bob Henson wrote:
>> Tone wrote:
>>
>>> They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
>>> a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
>>> sizes.
>>>
>>> We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
>>> day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
>>> it** around!
>>>
>>> They are noisy gubbers though! Apparently it is against the law for
>>> scaffolders to put anything down quietly. They have to throw it!
>>>
>>> I am now encaged.
>>>
>>> *See what I did there?
>>>
>>> ** The scaffolding, not the building.
>>
>> Whenever scaffolding is mentioned I think of Istanbul. Many years back I
>> went there and was fascinated/horrified to see a multi-storey building
>> (they were already several levels up) being built with wooden scaffolding
>> which had obviously been used quite a few times already. When it was time
>> to move up one level they just roped and/or nailed another level to the one
>> they were standing on and moved up onto it. I know excessive 'Elfin Safely
>> can be a nuisance here, but I hope they've got some out there by now.
>>

> See both India and Hong Kong - bamboo scaffolding.
> https://safewayscaffolding.co.uk/bamboo-scaffolding-benefits/

I can see why bamboo might be good - it is immensely strong and light. The
fastenings must be critical, though.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Keyboard - standard device for generating computer errors.

Re: On The Scaffold

<u8jkmp$2u1lf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22463&group=uk.rec.sheds#22463

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:16:08 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:16 UTC

On 11/07/2023 13:40, Bob Henson wrote:
> Chris Elvidge wrote:

>>> Whenever scaffolding is mentioned I think of Istanbul. Many years back I
>>> went there and was fascinated/horrified to see a multi-storey building
>>> (they were already several levels up) being built with wooden scaffolding
>>> which had obviously been used quite a few times already. When it was time
>>> to move up one level they just roped and/or nailed another level to the one
>>> they were standing on and moved up onto it. I know excessive 'Elfin Safely
>>> can be a nuisance here, but I hope they've got some out there by now.
>>>

>> See both India and Hong Kong - bamboo scaffolding.
>> https://safewayscaffolding.co.uk/bamboo-scaffolding-benefits/
>
> I can see why bamboo might be good - it is immensely strong and light. The
> fastenings must be critical, though.

The tube seems to have documentaries on it. I saw something on Quest (I
think).

--

Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL STOP PHONING IT IN

Re: On The Scaffold

<u8jl9g$2u38o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22466&group=uk.rec.sheds#22466

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:26:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:26 UTC

Bob Henson said:
> Chris Elvidge wrote:
>
>> See both India and Hong Kong - bamboo scaffolding.
>> https://safewayscaffolding.co.uk/bamboo-scaffolding-benefits/
>
> I can see why bamboo might be good - it is immensely strong and light. The
> fastenings must be critical, though.

So'd I be, if I had to spend all my time holding a couple of sticks
together.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: On The Scaffold

<jtJXTyAvqVrkFAU4@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22467&group=uk.rec.sheds#22467

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:35:43 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:35 UTC

In article <880dz7s8f3j3$.13ds5kw6rarzn$.dlg@40tude.net>, Bob Henson
<bob.henson@outlook.com> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 09:53:53 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>Tone wrote:
>
>> They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
>> a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
>> sizes.
>>
>> We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
>> day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
>> it** around!
>>
>> They are noisy gubbers though! Apparently it is against the law for
>> scaffolders to put anything down quietly. They have to throw it!
>>
>> I am now encaged.
>>
>> *See what I did there?
>>
>> ** The scaffolding, not the building.
>
>Whenever scaffolding is mentioned I think of Istanbul. Many years back I
>went there and was fascinated/horrified to see a multi-storey building
>(they were already several levels up) being built with wooden scaffolding
>which had obviously been used quite a few times already. When it was time
>to move up one level they just roped and/or nailed another level to the one
>they were standing on and moved up onto it. I know excessive 'Elfin Safely
>can be a nuisance here, but I hope they've got some out there by now.

In the Cebu (Philippines) they seem to use bamboo rather than steel
scaffolding. The one I saw was at the top of what looked like an
upthrust fault. The house I was living in (temporarily) was at the
bottom of the Graben. I was glad when we left.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: On The Scaffold

<l9gWH8AKvVrkFA03@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22468&group=uk.rec.sheds#22468

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:40:26 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:40 UTC

In article <u8jedi$2tb0t$1@dont-email.me>, Chris Elvidge
<chris@mshome.net> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 12:28:47 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On 11/07/2023 09:53, Bob Henson wrote:
>> Tone wrote:
>>
>>> They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
>>> a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
>>> sizes.
>>>
>>> We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
>>> day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
>>> it** around!
>>>
>>> They are noisy gubbers though! Apparently it is against the law for
>>> scaffolders to put anything down quietly. They have to throw it!
>>>
>>> I am now encaged.
>>>
>>> *See what I did there?
>>>
>>> ** The scaffolding, not the building.
>>
>> Whenever scaffolding is mentioned I think of Istanbul. Many years back I
>> went there and was fascinated/horrified to see a multi-storey building
>> (they were already several levels up) being built with wooden scaffolding
>> which had obviously been used quite a few times already. When it was time
>> to move up one level they just roped and/or nailed another level to the one
>> they were standing on and moved up onto it. I know excessive 'Elfin Safely
>> can be a nuisance here, but I hope they've got some out there by now.
>>

>See both India and Hong Kong - bamboo scaffolding.
>https://safewayscaffolding.co.uk/bamboo-scaffolding-benefits/

My b-i-l's house in the boondocks of Cebu was built on bamboo stilts. I
was impressed with how thick the bamboo was, all grown apparently on his
land.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: On The Scaffold

<MPG.3f179a11584dd742989691@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22473&group=uk.rec.sheds#22473

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:56:24 +0100
 by: Jim the Geordie - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:56 UTC

In article <877cr6dhv0.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>,
mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere says...

> Tone <tone@email.com> writes:
>
> > They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
> > a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
> > sizes.
> >
> > We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
> > day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
> > it** around!
>
> An instance of scaffolding all to the good: On my only visit to
> England, the iron bridge at Ironbridge was cloaked in scaffolding and
> tarpaulins, making it impossible to take photos of the bridge.
>
> All okay as I could ohl photos of the bridge. The scaffolding allowed
> me to climb up into the structure to take close-up photos of the
> joinery and the tarps offered some partial concealment from potential
> disapproving interest from ecilops. A Sunday so no workpersons to
> question me either.

You can guarantee that every cathedral in the UK will have scaffolding
when the tourists are about.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: On The Scaffold

<slrnuar45e.c4r.maus@debian.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22474&group=uk.rec.sheds#22474

From: mau...@debian.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 11 Jul 2023 17:26:06 GMT
 by: maus - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:26 UTC

On 2023-07-11, Nicholas D. Richards <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <880dz7s8f3j3$.13ds5kw6rarzn$.dlg@40tude.net>, Bob Henson
><bob.henson@outlook.com> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 09:53:53 awoke Nicholas
> from his slumbers and wrote
>>Tone wrote:
>>
>>> They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
>>> a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
>>> sizes.
>>>
>>> We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
>>> day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
>>> it** around!
>>>
>>> They are noisy gubbers though! Apparently it is against the law for
>>> scaffolders to put anything down quietly. They have to throw it!
>>>
>>> I am now encaged.
>>>
>>> *See what I did there?
>>>
>>> ** The scaffolding, not the building.
>>
>>Whenever scaffolding is mentioned I think of Istanbul. Many years back I
>>went there and was fascinated/horrified to see a multi-storey building
>>(they were already several levels up) being built with wooden scaffolding
>>which had obviously been used quite a few times already. When it was time
>>to move up one level they just roped and/or nailed another level to the one
>>they were standing on and moved up onto it. I know excessive 'Elfin Safely
>>can be a nuisance here, but I hope they've got some out there by now.
>>
> In the Cebu (Philippines) they seem to use bamboo rather than steel
> scaffolding. The one I saw was at the top of what looked like an
> upthrust fault. The house I was living in (temporarily) was at the
> bottom of the Graben. I was glad when we left.

A neighbour hired a man to repair his roof, had a arh
gmnt with him and since (10+ years) the scaffolding has stood there. No
builder of experience will touch it. I expect some youngster looking for
a first job will try it, and end up dead.

I think the real basic jobs are the pakistani ship breakers. Run the
ship up on the shore and put hundreds of men at breaking it up with only
one in ten with more than sledge and chisel.

--
greymausg@mail.com
"Boris, our once and future PM."

Re: On The Scaffold

<87351ucoej.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22475&group=uk.rec.sheds#22475

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 11 Jul 2023 15:07:48 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:07 UTC

"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@127.0.0.1> writes:

> On 11 Jul 2023 04:31:31 -0300
> Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
>
>> All okay as I could ohl photos of the bridge. The scaffolding
>> allowed me to climb up into the structure to take close-up photos
>> of the joinery and the tarps offered some partial concealment from
>> potential disapproving interest from ecilops. A Sunday so no
>> workpersons to question me either.
>
> I've had just such a visit myself! Maybe we there the same day (or,
> more likely visited in the same 2 year period).

June 1980.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: On The Scaffold

<87v8eqb8q0.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22476&group=uk.rec.sheds#22476

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 11 Jul 2023 15:31:51 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:31 UTC

[ Unknown news client weirdeness here, sorry if this turns up twice.]

maus <maus@debian.org> writes:

> I think the real basic jobs are the pakistani ship breakers. Run
> the ship up on the shore and put hundreds of men at breaking it up
> with only one in ten with more than sledge and chisel.

It's not going to get better in a couple of centures. Here's
something I sent to another venue where all the readers were
blacksmith. But perhaps mildly interesting here:

If you're like me, you're ever alert for how well smithing is handled
in movies. Was Thorin Oakenshield's hammering style credible when he
was shown as supporting himself as a working smith? Magic aside, did
the elves do the right thing reforging the Sword That Was Broken? Was
that a Peter Wright anvil in a 13th c. forge shop? Was that guy in
Laredo beating cold iron?

Watching the 2009 movie, "Cargo". The year is 2267. The earth is
uninhabitable a la Wall-E but, unlike Wall-E, people live in crowded
orbital habitats more like Blade-Runner-inside-a-Greyhound-Bus and
have done so for a few generations.

We're on a huge spaceship, deep in interstellar space when someone
carelessly jams open the two-storey tall, 2' thick multi-ton sliding
doors to the refrigerated cargo hold. Two crew guys are detailed to
to free them up.

They appear to be equipped with:

+ Tanks for some kind of torch

+ Some sort of jack

+ 20th c. stick welder and mask

+ Crowbar

+ Cold chisel

Cold chisel? Ya gots to *hit* it with something. The hammer -- both
conceptually and practically -- has been around since the stone age.
What does a space-going 23rd c. hammer look like?

It's unequivocally a long-handled 3"x3" blacksmith's flatter with
which the crewman struggles to deliver useful blows to the chisel. It
shows moderate peening-over on the poll from use as a flatter but he
uses the big flat face to hit the chisel.

I was sure I could see the A-in-a-horseshoe Atha Tool logo but
failed to bring it up recognizably in any of several screenshots.

It's at about 00:46:00 if you have access to the movie and want to
look for it.

[ For the non-smiths among us, a flatter is a tool intended to smooth
out the marks of individual hammer blow on a forging. At the end of a
long handle, it's placed on the red-hot jbexpeice and the helper hits
it with a sledge hammer. ]

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: On The Scaffold

<slrnuara83.gia.maus@debian.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22478&group=uk.rec.sheds#22478

From: mau...@debian.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 11 Jul 2023 19:09:55 GMT
 by: maus - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:09 UTC

On 2023-07-11, Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> [ Unknown news client weirdeness here, sorry if this turns up twice.]
>
> maus <maus@debian.org> writes:
>
>> I think the real basic jobs are the pakistani ship breakers. Run
>> the ship up on the shore and put hundreds of men at breaking it up
>> with only one in ten with more than sledge and chisel.
>

> It's not going to get better in a couple of centures. Here's
> something I sent to another venue where all the readers were
> blacksmith. But perhaps mildly interesting here:
>
> If you're like me, you're ever alert for how well smithing is handled
> in movies. Was Thorin Oakenshield's hammering style credible when he
> was shown as supporting himself as a working smith? Magic aside, did
> the elves do the right thing reforging the Sword That Was Broken? Was
> that a Peter Wright anvil in a 13th c. forge shop? Was that guy in
> Laredo beating cold iron?
>
> Watching the 2009 movie, "Cargo". The year is 2267. The earth is
> uninhabitable a la Wall-E but, unlike Wall-E, people live in crowded
> orbital habitats more like Blade-Runner-inside-a-Greyhound-Bus and
> have done so for a few generations.
>
> We're on a huge spaceship, deep in interstellar space when someone
> carelessly jams open the two-storey tall, 2' thick multi-ton sliding
> doors to the refrigerated cargo hold. Two crew guys are detailed to
> to free them up.
>
> They appear to be equipped with:
>
> + Tanks for some kind of torch
>
> + Some sort of jack
>
> + 20th c. stick welder and mask
>
> + Crowbar
>
> + Cold chisel
>
> Cold chisel? Ya gots to *hit* it with something. The hammer -- both
> conceptually and practically -- has been around since the stone age.
> What does a space-going 23rd c. hammer look like?
>
> It's unequivocally a long-handled 3"x3" blacksmith's flatter with
> which the crewman struggles to deliver useful blows to the chisel. It
> shows moderate peening-over on the poll from use as a flatter but he
> uses the big flat face to hit the chisel.
>
> I was sure I could see the A-in-a-horseshoe Atha Tool logo but
> failed to bring it up recognizably in any of several screenshots.
>
> It's at about 00:46:00 if you have access to the movie and want to
> look for it.
>
> [ For the non-smiths among us, a flatter is a tool intended to smooth
> out the marks of individual hammer blow on a forging. At the end of a
> long handle, it's placed on the red-hot jbexpeice and the helper hits
> it with a sledge hammer. ]

Blacksmithing, as a skill is underrated.

I heard this story. A group os Westerners visited a factory in Japan to
find out how acertain thing was made(In real life, I am told, that does
not happen), anway, they were lead through the modern foyer and down the
back, where a group of half naked men were beatin
a bar of something, while an old man would examine occasionally and tell
them what to do next

AFAIK, it is a waste of time rtying to reforge a broken sword,

I remember, the story of the sword in the stone (Arthur) was based when
irin was poured into stone forms and was very hard to get out later

--
greymausg@mail.com
"Boris, our once and future PM."

Re: On The Scaffold

<jSFnchBc+arkFAn0@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22482&group=uk.rec.sheds#22482

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:38:04 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:38 UTC

In article <MPG.3f179a11584dd742989691@paganini.bofh.team>, Jim the
Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 17:56:24 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>In article <877cr6dhv0.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>,
>mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere says...
>>
>> Tone <tone@email.com> writes:
>>
>> > They are changing all the windows at our sheltered establishment. That's
>> > a lot of pane*. It's about 400 windows and frames of varying types and
>> > sizes.
>> >
>> > We are three storeys high. They have been putting up scaffolding all
>> > day. They are going to scaffold the whole building instead of moving
>> > it** around!
>>
>> An instance of scaffolding all to the good: On my only visit to
>> England, the iron bridge at Ironbridge was cloaked in scaffolding and
>> tarpaulins, making it impossible to take photos of the bridge.
>>
>> All okay as I could ohl photos of the bridge. The scaffolding allowed
>> me to climb up into the structure to take close-up photos of the
>> joinery and the tarps offered some partial concealment from potential
>> disapproving interest from ecilops. A Sunday so no workpersons to
>> question me either.
>
>You can guarantee that every cathedral in the UK will have scaffolding
>when the tourists are about.

And Parliament, seemingly.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: On The Scaffold

<u8kcog$30gd0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22483&group=uk.rec.sheds#22483

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:06:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:06 UTC

Nicholas D. Richards said:
> In article <MPG.3f179a11584dd742989691@paganini.bofh.team>, Jim the
>>
>>You can guarantee that every cathedral in the UK will have scaffolding
>>when the tourists are about.
>>
> And Parliament, seemingly.

The building too ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: On The Scaffold

<20230711212949.42d978d9c0f31bcd3d0d44c6@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22484&group=uk.rec.sheds#22484

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:29:49 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:29 UTC

On 11 Jul 2023 15:07:48 -0300
Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@127.0.0.1> writes:
>
> > On 11 Jul 2023 04:31:31 -0300
> > Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
> >
> >> All okay as I could ohl photos of the bridge. The scaffolding
> >> allowed me to climb up into the structure to take close-up photos
> >> of the joinery and the tarps offered some partial concealment from
> >> potential disapproving interest from ecilops. A Sunday so no
> >> workpersons to question me either.
> >
> > I've had just such a visit myself! Maybe we there the same day (or,
> > more likely visited in the same 2 year period).
>
> June 1980.

Ah. They must've spotted you they used a non-seethrough cling-film type
plastic covering last time, erm maybe 2019?

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: On The Scaffold

<1CjrM.182860$UOK1.121943@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22485&group=uk.rec.sheds#22485

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:13:34 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:13 UTC

On 11-Jul-23 20:38, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <MPG.3f179a11584dd742989691@paganini.bofh.team>, Jim the
> Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 17:56:24 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>> In article <877cr6dhv0.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>,
>> mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere says...

>>> An instance of scaffolding all to the good: On my only visit to
>>> England, the iron bridge at Ironbridge was cloaked in scaffolding and
>>> tarpaulins, making it impossible to take photos of the bridge.
>>>
>>> All okay as I could ohl photos of the bridge. The scaffolding allowed
>>> me to climb up into the structure to take close-up photos of the
>>> joinery and the tarps offered some partial concealment from potential
>>> disapproving interest from ecilops. A Sunday so no workpersons to
>>> question me either.
>>
>> You can guarantee that every cathedral in the UK will have scaffolding
>> when the tourists are about.
>>
> And Parliament, seemingly.

Charles I found his scaffold just outside the Banqueting House.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: On The Scaffold

<UF9aZvB9KdrkFARO@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22487&group=uk.rec.sheds#22487

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 23:07:57 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:07 UTC

In article <1CjrM.182860$UOK1.121943@fx09.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<not@home.com> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 22:13:34 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 11-Jul-23 20:38, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <MPG.3f179a11584dd742989691@paganini.bofh.team>, Jim the
>> Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 17:56:24 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>> In article <877cr6dhv0.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>,
>>> mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere says...

>>> You can guarantee that every cathedral in the UK will have scaffolding
>>> when the tourists are about.
>>>
>> And Parliament, seemingly.
>
>Charles I found his scaffold just outside the Banqueting House.

He was luckier on his scaffold than Margaret Countess of Salisbury on
her scaffold 100 years before (give or take a few years and a lot of
slashing cuts).
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: On The Scaffold

<u8l11t$35voi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22491&group=uk.rec.sheds#22491

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 02:53:00 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 01:53 UTC

On 11/07/2023 19:31, Mike Spencer wrote:
> [ Unknown news client weirdeness here, sorry if this turns up twice.]
>
> maus <maus@debian.org> writes:
>
>> I think the real basic jobs are the pakistani ship breakers. Run
>> the ship up on the shore and put hundreds of men at breaking it up
>> with only one in ten with more than sledge and chisel.
>

> It's not going to get better in a couple of centures. Here's
> something I sent to another venue where all the readers were
> blacksmith. But perhaps mildly interesting here:
>
> If you're like me, you're ever alert for how well smithing is handled
> in movies. Was Thorin Oakenshield's hammering style credible when he
> was shown as supporting himself as a working smith? Magic aside, did
> the elves do the right thing reforging the Sword That Was Broken? Was
> that a Peter Wright anvil in a 13th c. forge shop? Was that guy in
> Laredo beating cold iron?
>
> Watching the 2009 movie, "Cargo". The year is 2267. The earth is
> uninhabitable a la Wall-E but, unlike Wall-E, people live in crowded
> orbital habitats more like Blade-Runner-inside-a-Greyhound-Bus and
> have done so for a few generations.
>
> We're on a huge spaceship, deep in interstellar space when someone
> carelessly jams open the two-storey tall, 2' thick multi-ton sliding
> doors to the refrigerated cargo hold. Two crew guys are detailed to
> to free them up.
>
> They appear to be equipped with:
>
> + Tanks for some kind of torch
>
> + Some sort of jack
>
> + 20th c. stick welder and mask
>
> + Crowbar
>
> + Cold chisel
>
> Cold chisel? Ya gots to *hit* it with something. The hammer -- both
> conceptually and practically -- has been around since the stone age.
> What does a space-going 23rd c. hammer look like?
>
> It's unequivocally a long-handled 3"x3" blacksmith's flatter with
> which the crewman struggles to deliver useful blows to the chisel. It
> shows moderate peening-over on the poll from use as a flatter but he
> uses the big flat face to hit the chisel.
>
> I was sure I could see the A-in-a-horseshoe Atha Tool logo but
> failed to bring it up recognizably in any of several screenshots.
>
> It's at about 00:46:00 if you have access to the movie and want to
> look for it.
>
> [ For the non-smiths among us, a flatter is a tool intended to smooth
> out the marks of individual hammer blow on a forging. At the end of a
> long handle, it's placed on the red-hot jbexpeice and the helper hits
> it with a sledge hammer. ]

Is this emule a forgery?

Tone

Re: On The Scaffold

<slrnuat3rl.1p4qr.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22504&group=uk.rec.sheds#22504

From: jul...@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:33:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:33 UTC

On 11 Jul 2023 17:26:06 GMT, maus <maus@debian.org> wrote:

> I think the real basic jobs are the pakistani ship breakers. Run the
> ship up on the shore and put hundreds of men at breaking it up with only
> one in ten with more than sledge and chisel.

Plus hacksaw blades, but no frames.

Most of these men are Pathans (Pushtuns), as the
Russians, Yanks and Brits have learned, do not fuck with the
Pathans.

--
“I think law enforcement should be difficult. And it should
actually be possible to break the law.” - Moxie Marlinspike,

Re: On The Scaffold

<u8mohe$3be4b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22509&group=uk.rec.sheds#22509

From: heatonan...@gmail.com.invalid (James Heaton)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 18:39:52 +0100
 by: James Heaton - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:39 UTC

"Sam Plusnet" wrote in message news:1CjrM.182860$UOK1.121943@fx09.ams1...

On 11-Jul-23 20:38, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <MPG.3f179a11584dd742989691@paganini.bofh.team>, Jim the
> Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 17:56:24 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>> In article <877cr6dhv0.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>,
>> mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere says...

>>> An instance of scaffolding all to the good: On my only visit to
>>> England, the iron bridge at Ironbridge was cloaked in scaffolding and
>>> tarpaulins, making it impossible to take photos of the bridge.
>>>
>>> All okay as I could ohl photos of the bridge. The scaffolding allowed
>>> me to climb up into the structure to take close-up photos of the
>>> joinery and the tarps offered some partial concealment from potential
>>> disapproving interest from ecilops. A Sunday so no workpersons to
>>> question me either.
>>
>> You can guarantee that every cathedral in the UK will have scaffolding
>> when the tourists are about.
>>
> And Parliament, seemingly.

>Charles I found his scaffold just outside the Banqueting House.

A few years ago, working in a town centre of 3-4 storey buildings, the
business opposite suspended their finance director and erected a scaffold
for roof repairs on the same day.

Did arouse comments about an extreme view to staff discipline...

James