From: anw...@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Unusual batting performance(s)
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 18:48:03 +0100
 by: Andy Walker - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:48 UTC

For Leics, in the just-finished CC match at TB, the highest score was
made by the very last batsman/batter in the second innings, Mike Finan
[58]. Their second-highest score was made by the very first batsman,
Sam Evans, who carried his bat for 50* in the first innings.

[AFAIK, it's unusual but not unknown for a #11 to be top scorer
in an innings, esp in a low score, but not so common in a match and in
a decent score (257). The "bookend" combination must also be unusual.]

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music

Re: Unusual batting performance(s)

<jnu3svF4eerU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22510&group=uk.sport.cricket#22510

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Unusual batting performance(s)
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 13:01:33 +0100
 by: David North - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 12:01 UTC

On 07/09/2022 18:48, Andy Walker wrote:
> For Leics, in the just-finished CC match at TB, the highest score was
> made by the very last batsman/batter in the second innings, Mike Finan
> [58].  Their second-highest score was made by the very first batsman,
> Sam Evans, who carried his bat for 50* in the first innings.
>
>     [AFAIK, it's unusual but not unknown for a #11 to be top scorer
> in an innings, esp in a low score, but not so common in a match and in
> a decent score (257).  The "bookend" combination must also be unusual.]

There have been 12 instances of #11 being top scorer in a _Test_ innings
(I could not find a list for FC matches).

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283162.html

Of those, 4 were their team's top scores in the match, but in one of
those cases (Vogler), his team only batted once.

The other 3 were:

Frederick Spofforth 50 v England, MCG 1884/85
Ashton Agar 98 v England, Trent Bridge 2013
Saqib Mahmood 49 v WI, St George's 2021/22 (with Jack Leach's 41* being
the 2nd-highest)

There have been no instances of "bookends" in Tests with #11 highest and
#1 2nd, although there could be the other way round in a match where the
team only batted once.

Of the top 20 FC scores by #11s, a few were the top score in the
innings, and at least the top 3 were the side's top score in the match,
but again there were no instances of "bookends".

https://stats.acscricket.com/Records/First_Class/Overall/Batting/Highest_Scores_Batting_at_Number_11.html

--
David North