The truth about a woman often lasts longer than the woman is true.

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / This smart meter stuff

SubjectAuthor
* This smart meter stuffMr Pounder Esquire
+- Re: This smart meter stuffRay
+* Re: This smart meter stuffPete C
|+* Re: This smart meter stuffPeter Hawkins
||`- Re: This smart meter stuffPeter
|`* Re: This smart meter stuffFlyi?g ?u? 2?2? +
| `- Re: This smart meter stuffRay
+- Re: This smart meter stuffBill P
+* Re: This smart meter stuffMr Pounder Esquire
|`* Re: This smart meter stuffJeff Gaines
| `- Re: This smart meter stuffMr Pounder Esquire
`- Re: This smart meter stuffPeter

1
This smart meter stuff

<skt3k4$m7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2255&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2255

From: MrPoun...@RationalThought.com (Mr Pounder Esquire)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: This smart meter stuff
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 02:19:43 +0100
 by: Mr Pounder Esquire - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 01:19 UTC

I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today from
them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be visiting me
to chat about giving me a smart meter.
In the past I have always blown the tele sales people out when they
rang me. But now that I'm very old and have difficulties getting on
my knees to read the meters I'm considering the smart ones.
Has anybody any experience/views with these meters?

Re: This smart meter stuff

<sktmh5$huj$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2256&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2256

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: This smart meter stuff
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 06:42:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 06:42 UTC

On 22 Oct 2021 at 02:19:43 BST, ""Mr Pounder Esquire""
<MrPounder@RationalThought.com> wrote:

> I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today from
> them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be visiting me
> to chat about giving me a smart meter.
> In the past I have always blown the tele sales people out when they
> rang me. But now that I'm very old and have difficulties getting on
> my knees to read the meters I'm considering the smart ones.
> Has anybody any experience/views with these meters?

Yes. They work as described. Have no negative impact on your consumption of
energy and do not use your internet for communication.
As long as they install the latest generation meters, which British Gas are
doing, they work with any energy supplier as they communicate with a central
hub accessed by all energy suppliers. So you are free to switch suppliers in
future.
They still have readouts so you can continue to manually check consumption if
you feel the need to.

--
As we get older we only need 3 shops
Specsavers, Boots and Greggs

Re: This smart meter stuff

<MZ-dnX9aUff86e_8nZ2dnUU78LWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2258&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2258

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:20:47 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
From: petc...@blackberrymoon.co.uk (Pete C)
 by: Pete C - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 08:20 UTC

On 22/10/2021 02:19, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
> I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today from
> them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be visiting me
> to chat about giving me a smart meter.
> In the past I have always blown the tele sales people out when they
> rang me. But now that I'm very old and have difficulties getting on
> my knees to read the meters I'm considering the smart ones.
> Has anybody any experience/views with these meters?

They are fine. Just don't become it's slave.....checking the readings
constantly wondering if you can somehow use less........it'll drive you
bonkers.

--
Pete C

Re: This smart meter stuff

<sktshg$14b4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2259&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2259

From: phawk...@totalise.co.uk (Peter Hawkins)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:25:21 +0100
 by: Peter Hawkins - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 08:25 UTC

On 22/10/2021 09:20, Pete C wrote:
> On 22/10/2021 02:19, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
>> I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today from
>> them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be visiting me
>> to chat about giving me a smart meter.
>> In the past I have always blown the tele sales people out when they
>> rang me. But now that I'm very old and have difficulties getting on
>> my knees to read the meters I'm considering the smart ones.
>> Has anybody any experience/views with these meters?
>>

> They are fine. Just don't become it's slave.....checking the readings
> constantly wondering if you can somehow use less........it'll drive you
> bonkers.

It's good not to have to climb up (in my case) to read the electricity
meter. Our 'in house display' device has failed however so that is not
much good.
They reckoned they could not get a signal where our gas meter is, so I
still have to read that. It is low down but I can still manage to read it.

--
Sent from my laptop.

Re: This smart meter stuff

<skttcs$po6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2261&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2261

From: bill.pa...@my.home (Bill P)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:39:55 +0100
 by: Bill P - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 08:39 UTC

On 22/10/2021 02:19, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
> I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today from
> them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be visiting me
> to chat about giving me a smart meter.
> In the past I have always blown the tele sales people out when they
> rang me. But now that I'm very old and have difficulties getting on
> my knees to read the meters I'm considering the smart ones.
> Has anybody any experience/views with these meters?

The little display thingy has never worked but,
Not having to crawl about under the stairs for the gas reading or
getting the the steps out to read the electric meter is a god send.
Had no Problems with it.

--
Bill P.
Shildon,

https://www.avg.com

Re: This smart meter stuff

<itfjh0Fbur1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2266&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2266

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?2? +)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:53:28 +0100
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?2? + - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 10:53 UTC

Pete C wrote:
> On 22/10/2021 02:19, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
>> I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today from
>> them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be visiting me
>> to chat about giving me a smart meter.
>> In the past I have always blown the tele sales people out when they
>> rang me. But now that I'm very old and have difficulties getting on
>> my knees to read the meters I'm considering the smart ones.
>> Has anybody any experience/views with these meters?
>>

> They are fine. Just don't become it's slave.....checking the readings
> constantly wondering if you can somehow use less........it'll drive
> you bonkers.

Unless you are already bonkers like me.
Re the smart meters I rang BG shortly after they gave me a date for my
smart-meter installation that I'd already declined, and repeated again
that I didn't want one. So they cancelled the appoint that they had
made. I don't really see the point since within a decade or so they are
planning to have no gas within homes. I already have a device, free
from BG a few years ago, which permanently monitors my electricity
usage, price etc. I do send them my current gas and electricity meter
readings, on line. I used to do that monthly but after a comprehensive
'phone call to them, I now plan to send them the reading just twice a
year. They told me that the two dates I need to send the readings are
January 3rd and July 13th in time for them to set up my bill and assess
my payments. As I pay them by monthly DD, I suppose it's not really
that important.
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�2�+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..

Re: This smart meter stuff

<sku96o$fda$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2271&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2271

From: MrPoun...@RationalThought.com (Mr Pounder Esquire)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 13:01:06 +0100
 by: Mr Pounder Esquire - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 12:01 UTC

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
> I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today from
> them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be visiting me
> to chat about giving me a smart meter.
> In the past I have always blown the tele sales people out when they
> rang me. But now that I'm very old and have difficulties getting on
> my knees to read the meters I'm considering the smart ones.
> Has anybody any experience/views with these meters?

Thanks to all that have replied. I'm swinging towards the smart stuff mainly
because there could come a time when I can't get up from my knees.

Re: This smart meter stuff

<xn0n4fp18d4c6oh00p@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2272&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2272

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 22 Oct 2021 12:35:59 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 12:35 UTC

On 22/10/2021 in message <sku96o$fda$1@dont-email.me> Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:

>Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
>>I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today from
>>them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be visiting me
>>to chat about giving me a smart meter.
>>In the past I have always blown the tele sales people out when they
>>rang me. But now that I'm very old and have difficulties getting on
>>my knees to read the meters I'm considering the smart ones.
>>Has anybody any experience/views with these meters?
>
>Thanks to all that have replied. I'm swinging towards the smart stuff
>mainly because there could come a time when I can't get up from my knees.

Say a prayer for me while you're down there :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

Re: This smart meter stuff

<skuje9$1agn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2273&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2273

From: peterxpe...@hotmail.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 15:56:05 +0100
 by: Peter - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 14:56 UTC

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
> I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today from
> them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be visiting me
> to chat about giving me a smart meter.
> In the past I have always blown the tele sales people out when they
> rang me. But now that I'm very old and have difficulties getting on
> my knees to read the meters I'm considering the smart ones.

It is their job to read the meters (or to engage someone to do it) not
yours.

> Has anybody any experience/views with these meters?

--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

Re: This smart meter stuff

<skujh4$1agn$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2274&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2274

From: peterxpe...@hotmail.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 15:57:36 +0100
 by: Peter - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 14:57 UTC

Peter Hawkins wrote:
> On 22/10/2021 09:20, Pete C wrote:
>> On 22/10/2021 02:19, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
>>> I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today from
>>> them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be visiting me
>>> to chat about giving me a smart meter.
>>> In the past I have always blown the tele sales people out when they
>>> rang me. But now that I'm very old and have difficulties getting on
>>> my knees to read the meters I'm considering the smart ones.
>>> Has anybody any experience/views with these meters?
>>>

>> They are fine. Just don't become it's slave.....checking the readings
>> constantly wondering if you can somehow use less........it'll drive
>> you bonkers.
>>

> It's good not to have to climb up (in my case) to read the electricity
> meter. Our 'in house display' device has failed however so that is not
> much good.
> They reckoned they could not get a signal where our gas meter is, so I
> still have to read that

Refuse. Tell them it's their job to do it.

> . It is low down but I can still manage to read it.

--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

Re: This smart meter stuff

<skus2f$e30$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2277&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2277

From: MrPoun...@RationalThought.com (Mr Pounder Esquire)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:23:26 +0100
 by: Mr Pounder Esquire - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:23 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 22/10/2021 in message <sku96o$fda$1@dont-email.me> Mr Pounder
> Esquire wrote:
>
>> Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
>>> I buy both gas and electric from British Gas. Got a letter today
>>> from them / "MPE MARKETING" saying that a nice person would be
>>> visiting me to chat about giving me a smart meter.
>>> In the past I have always blown the tele sales people out when they
>>> rang me. But now that I'm very old and have difficulties getting on
>>> my knees to read the meters I'm considering the smart ones.
>>> Has anybody any experience/views with these meters?
>>
>> Thanks to all that have replied. I'm swinging towards the smart stuff
>> mainly because there could come a time when I can't get up from my
>> knees.
>
> Say a prayer for me while you're down there :-)

In a past life I was a fire protection engineer. Servicing a fire
extinguisher required one to be on his knees. Servicing a fire extinguisher
did not help my knees. I know one past engineer who is now needing a new
knee because of the more or less unavoidable working practice.

Re: This smart meter stuff

<sl0cmg$a5a$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2280&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2280

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 07:13:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 07:13 UTC

On 22 Oct 2021 at 11:53:28 BST, "Name" <email> wrote:

> I don't really see the point since within a decade or so they are
> planning to have no gas within homes.

What about electricity?

There will still be millions of gas boilers in use. They just won't be
installing any more.
Despite electric cars, petrol engined vehicles will not magically disappear.
There will still be a market for petrol and diesel.

--
OI YOU, WASH YOUR HANDS.