I'm GLAD I remembered to XEROX all my UNDERSHIRTS!!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond Park

SubjectAuthor
* Litter: “Selfish cyclists”Spike
`* Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in RichJNugent
 +- Re: mond ParkSpike
 `* Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond ParkMike Collins
  `* Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in RichJNugent
   `* Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond ParkMike Collins
    `* Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists”Spike
     `* Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond ParkMike Collins
      `- Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists”Spike

1
Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond Park

<k4847jF5rmrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22501&group=uk.rec.cycling#22501

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Litter: “Selfish cyclists”
in Richmond Park
Date: 4 Feb 2023 22:23:47 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 22:23 UTC

“Selfish cyclists” in Richmond Park have been blamed for dropping litter
which can kill deer by clogging their stomachs.

A new warning from park conservationists has slammed the “dangerous” new
phenomenon of cyclists discarding gel packs during recent races held at the
park.

Litter is one of the major threats facing grazing deer in the park, with an
estimated five deer killed by eating discarded rubbish each year, wildlife
officers at the park say.

The warning comes after two major cycling events, the London Duathlon and
Ride London, saw hundreds of gel packs left lying at the nature reserve.

Richard Gray, trustee of the Friends of Richmond Park, told the Standard:
“It’s a real health issue. What we have identified with these two
particular races is this phenomenon of the gel packs.

“Lots of our members are cyclists, I’m a cyclist, but you get a number of
slightly more selfish cyclists who aren’t getting rid of it responsibly.

They are doing the Tour de France thing, seeing people tear off their gel
packs and spitting them out.

“But unlike other races, it doesn’t get picked up. It’s a new phenomenon,
particularly because so many more people are taking up competitive
endurance cycling and use gel packs.”

A photo released shows one of the park’s wildlife officers holding up the
gruesome stomach contents of two deer which died from eating rubbish.
Recent post-mortems of deer have shown their stomachs “full of litter”.

The London Duathlon, on Sunday, saw litter from more than 160 empty gel
packs left behind on just a 600 metre section while Ride London, on July
31, saw over 180 discarded in the same area.

Litter eaten by deer clogs their digestive systems, meaning they are unable
to eat properly and starve.

“Everybody loves the deer,” Mr Gray said. “But it’s a nature reserve and
people tend to forget that.

“It’s not your local race track. It’s a site of special scientific
interest.”

The biggest threat to the park’s famous deer was historically cars, but
over the years speed limits and the number of accidents have been brought
down. Mr Gray said this is a sign “things can improve” and there is hope
cyclists will change their behaviour.

The group’s chairman Ron Crompton said: “Following a similar survey after
this year's event, the organisers of Ride London are committing to much
greater prevention measures to ensure offending competitors are spotted
littering and either disqualified or banned from participating.

“We do hope that the Duathlon organisers will adopt a similar approach and
ensure that all competitors are clear that this sort of behaviour is
unacceptable.

“Finding this large extent of litter 24 hours after the event is very
worrying for the Park's wildlife and particularly the deer.”

<https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/selfish-cyclists-slammed-for-dropping-litter-after-richmond-park-deer-deaths-a3350046.html>

--
Spike

Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond Park

<k48hjmF7nfvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22504&group=uk.rec.cycling#22504

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Rich
mond_Park
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 02:12:06 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 02:12 UTC

On 04/02/2023 10:23 pm, Spike wrote:

> [...]
>
> The biggest threat to the park’s famous deer was historically cars, but
> over the years speed limits and the number of accidents have been brought
> down. Mr Gray said this is a sign “things can improve” and there is hope
> cyclists will change their behaviour.
>
> The group’s chairman Ron Crompton said: “Following a similar survey after
> this year's event, the organisers of Ride London are committing to much
> greater prevention measures to ensure offending competitors are spotted
> littering and either disqualified or banned from participating.
>
> “We do hope that the Duathlon organisers will adopt a similar approach and
> ensure that all competitors are clear that this sort of behaviour is
> unacceptable.
>
> “Finding this large extent of litter 24 hours after the event is very
> worrying for the Park's wildlife and particularly the deer.”

But... but... but... fairy-cyclists are allowed to do anything they like
and can do no wrong!

Re: mond Park

<k499kcFb6cnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22522&group=uk.rec.cycling#22522

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: mond Park
Date: 5 Feb 2023 09:02:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 09:02 UTC

JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> cyclists will change their behaviour.
>>
>> The group’s chairman Ron Crompton said: “Following a similar survey after
>> this year's event, the organisers of Ride London are committing to much
>> greater prevention measures to ensure offending competitors are spotted
>> littering and either disqualified or banned from participating.
>>
>> “We do hope that the Duathlon organisers will adopt a similar approach and
>> ensure that all competitors are clear that this sort of behaviour is
>> unacceptable.
>>
>> “Finding this large extent of litter 24 hours after the event is very
>> worrying for the Park's wildlife and particularly the deer.”
>>
>> <https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/selfish-cyclists-slammed-for-dropping-litter-after-richmond-park-deer-deaths-a3350046.html>
>
> But... but... but... fairy-cyclists are allowed to do anything they like

What I find humorous is that I wove a reference to fly-tipping into a
posting about recycling centres, and less than a day later there’s a
posting about fly-tipping from Mason!

I’m surprised he hasn’t made millions from his Google Groups killfile….

--
Spike

Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond Park

<af5d0773-72f2-4e3d-94c2-8757f24942a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22543&group=uk.rec.cycling#22543

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 08:19:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_Litter:_“Selfish_cyclists”_in_Richmond_Park
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 16:19 UTC

On Sunday, 5 February 2023 at 02:12:09 UTC, JNugent wrote:
> [...]
> > cyclists will change their behaviour.
> >
> > The group’s chairman Ron Crompton said: “Following a similar survey after
> > this year's event, the organisers of Ride London are committing to much
> > greater prevention measures to ensure offending competitors are spotted
> > littering and either disqualified or banned from participating.
> >
> > “We do hope that the Duathlon organisers will adopt a similar approach and
> > ensure that all competitors are clear that this sort of behaviour is
> > unacceptable.
> >
> > “Finding this large extent of litter 24 hours after the event is very
> > worrying for the Park's wildlife and particularly the deer.”
> >
> > <https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/selfish-cyclists-slammed-for-dropping-litter-after-richmond-park-deer-deaths-a3350046.html>
> But... but... but... fairy-cyclists are allowed to do anything they like

Please provide evidence from the peer reviewed literature to support this claim.

The event organisers should have a litter patrol just like they do for pedestrians who drop litter during the London Marathon
https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local-council/20951500.london-marathon-leaves-20-tonnes-litter-tower-hamlets-sweepers/

Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond Park

<k4a3obFf3g5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22546&group=uk.rec.cycling#22546

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
mond_Park
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 16:27:55 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 16:27 UTC

On 05/02/2023 04:19 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
> [...]
>>> this year's event, the organisers of Ride London are committing to much
>>> greater prevention measures to ensure offending competitors are spotted
>>> littering and either disqualified or banned from participating.
>>>
>>> “We do hope that the Duathlon organisers will adopt a similar approach and
>>> ensure that all competitors are clear that this sort of behaviour is
>>> unacceptable.
>>>
>>> “Finding this large extent of litter 24 hours after the event is very
>>> worrying for the Park's wildlife and particularly the deer.”
>>>
>>> <https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/selfish-cyclists-slammed-for-dropping-litter-after-richmond-park-deer-deaths-a3350046.html>
>> But... but... but... fairy-cyclists are allowed to do anything they like
>> and can do no wrong!
>
> Please provide evidence from the peer reviewed literature to support this claim.

When are you going to grow up?

> The event organisers should have a litter patrol just like they do for pedestrians who drop litter during the London Marathon
> https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local-council/20951500.london-marathon-leaves-20-tonnes-litter-tower-hamlets-sweepers/

Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond Park

<11a9fdac-fffd-4f72-a518-2871d1c3a043n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22558&group=uk.rec.cycling#22558

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 09:26:27 -0800 (PST)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 17:26 UTC

On Sunday, 5 February 2023 at 16:27:58 UTC, JNugent wrote:
> On 05/02/2023 04:19 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

> >> But... but... but... fairy-cyclists are allowed to do anything they like
> >> and can do no wrong!
> >
> > Please provide evidence from the peer reviewed literature to support this claim.
> When are you going to grow up?

So no evidence to support your claim.

Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond Park

<k4aeb0Fgn2nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22563&group=uk.rec.cycling#22563

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists”
in Richmond Park
Date: 5 Feb 2023 19:28:32 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 19:28 UTC

Mike Collins <cmike8828@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 5 February 2023 at 16:27:58 UTC, JNugent wrote:
>> On 05/02/2023 04:19 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

>>> Please provide evidence from the peer reviewed literature to support this claim.

>> When are you going to grow up?

> So no evidence to support your claim.

Looks like the answer to JNugent’s question is ‘Never! Never! Never!’.

--
Spike

Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond Park

<791b8a2c-d95b-4f47-b9b5-8b5b516a1072n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22566&group=uk.rec.cycling#22566

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 11:53:49 -0800 (PST)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 19:53 UTC

On Sunday, 5 February 2023 at 19:28:35 UTC, Spike wrote:
> Mike Collins <cmik...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> When are you going to grow up?
>
> > So no evidence to support your claim.
> Looks like the answer to JNugent’s question is ‘Never! Never! Never!’.
>
> --
> Spike

I agree, you do seem to exist in fairy land.

Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond Park

<k4anisFi2kiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22567&group=uk.rec.cycling#22567

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
in Richmond Park
Date: 5 Feb 2023 22:06:20 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 22:06 UTC

Mike Collins <cmike8828@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 5 February 2023 at 19:28:35 UTC, Spike wrote:
>> Mike Collins <cmik...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So no evidence to support your claim.

>> Looks like the answer to JNugent’s question is ‘Never! Never! Never!’.

> I agree, you do seem to exist in fairy land.

Then take more water with it.

--
Spike

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Litter: “Selfish cyclists” in Richmond Park