Sleep -- the most beautiful experience in life -- except drink. -- W. C. Fields

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Missing Freesat - an oddity

SubjectAuthor
* Missing Freesat - an oddityIndy Jess John
+* Re: Missing Freesat - an oddityMichael Chare
|+- Re: Missing Freesat - an oddityIndy Jess John
|`* Re: Missing Freesat - an oddityBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
| `* Re: Missing Freesat - an oddityNY
|  `- Re: Missing Freesat - an oddityAndy Burns
`- Re: Missing Freesat - an oddityBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

1
Missing Freesat - an oddity

<rh7oI.518126$zV01.12940@fx49.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22608&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22608

From: jimwar...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Missing Freesat - an oddity
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 12:24:06 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sun, 16 May 2021 11:24 UTC

Could anybody explain the following in plain English please.

The new LNB is not due until Monday or Tuesday. I was idly choosing
programme numbers on the Freesat PVR at random this morning and when I
put in 170 I got picture and sound on a channel that identified itself
as "Quest Red +1".

So I looked up the "Signal Information" screen and it said:
SIGNAL 1
NETWORK 003b
TRANSPORT 07F3
STRENGTH 75%
QUALITY 60%
LOCK Yes
SIGNAL 2
NETWORK 003b
TRANSPORT 090b
STRENGTH 75%
QUALITY 0%
LOCK Yes

Then I changed to Channel 106 (BBC1 HD) and got:
SIGNAL 1
NETWORK
TRANSPORT
STRENGTH 0%
QUALITY 0%
LOCK No
SIGNAL 2
NETWORK 003b
TRANSPORT 090b
STRENGTH 75%
QUALITY 0%
LOCK Yes

Other than deducing that no Signal 1 means "No Signal" displayed on
screen, the information means nothing to me. I am hoping someone can
explain the above.

My TV has an F connector I have never used (I have always used Freeview
on the TV), so I connected one of the satellite downleads to it and
asked for an autotune of the satellite (Astra 28.2, it said as it
tuned). It gave me just 48 stations, and as I browsed through them
afterwards I found that one of them (numbered 34!) was Quest Red +1, so
it looks as though it had found the channels that were coming through on
the PVR but not the ones that didn't.

With the downlink connected again to the PVR I did a bit more
experimenting. Channels 101 to 125 were all "No Signal". Every channel
I tried at random above 125 did have a picture, though a few of them
pixellated occasionally.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Jim

Re: Missing Freesat - an oddity

<s7rq9m$pcf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22628&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22628

From: mUNDERSC...@chareDO.Torg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Missing Freesat - an oddity
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 20:03:16 +0100
 by: Michael Chare - Sun, 16 May 2021 19:03 UTC

On 16/05/2021 12:24, Indy Jess John wrote:
> Could anybody explain the following in plain English please.
>
> The new LNB is not due until Monday or Tuesday. I was idly choosing
> programme numbers on the Freesat PVR at random this morning and when I
> put in 170 I got picture and sound on a channel that identified itself
> as "Quest Red +1".
>
> So I looked up the "Signal Information" screen and it said:
> SIGNAL 1
> NETWORK     003b
> TRANSPORT   07F3
> STRENGTH    75%
> QUALITY     60%
> LOCK        Yes
> SIGNAL 2
> NETWORK     003b
> TRANSPORT   090b
> STRENGTH    75%
> QUALITY     0%
> LOCK        Yes
>
> Then I changed to Channel 106 (BBC1 HD) and got:
> SIGNAL 1
> NETWORK
> TRANSPORT
> STRENGTH    0%
> QUALITY     0%
> LOCK        No
> SIGNAL 2
> NETWORK     003b
> TRANSPORT   090b
> STRENGTH    75%
> QUALITY     0%
> LOCK        Yes
>
> Other than deducing that no Signal 1 means "No Signal" displayed on
> screen, the information means nothing to me. I am hoping someone can
> explain the above.
>
> My TV has an F connector I have never used (I have always used Freeview
> on the TV), so I connected one of the satellite downleads to it and
> asked for an autotune of the satellite (Astra 28.2, it said as it
> tuned).  It gave me just 48 stations, and as I browsed through them
> afterwards I found that one of them (numbered 34!) was Quest Red +1, so
> it looks as though it had found the channels that were coming through on
> the PVR but not the ones that didn't.
>
> With the downlink connected again to the PVR I did a bit more
> experimenting.  Channels 101 to 125 were all "No Signal". Every channel
> I tried at random above 125 did have a picture, though a few of them
> pixellated occasionally.
>
> Curiouser and curiouser.
>
> Jim

The receive can switch the LNB between receiving Horizontal and Vertical
channels. It can also switch the LNB between receiving higher or lower
frequencies.

Sometimes LNBs fail in a way that stops them receiving channels in one
or two of these quadrants.

Channel details cabbe found on:

https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

--
Michael Chare

Re: Missing Freesat - an oddity

<OFeoI.369460$tDk2.155647@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22629&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22629

From: jimwar...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 20:47:56 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sun, 16 May 2021 19:47 UTC

On 16/05/2021 20:03, Michael Chare wrote:
> On 16/05/2021 12:24, Indy Jess John wrote:
>> Could anybody explain the following in plain English please.
>>
>> The new LNB is not due until Monday or Tuesday. I was idly choosing
>> programme numbers on the Freesat PVR at random this morning and when I
>> put in 170 I got picture and sound on a channel that identified itself
>> as "Quest Red +1".
>>
>> So I looked up the "Signal Information" screen and it said:
>> SIGNAL 1
>> NETWORK 003b
>> TRANSPORT 07F3
>> STRENGTH 75%
>> QUALITY 60%
>> LOCK Yes
>> SIGNAL 2
>> NETWORK 003b
>> TRANSPORT 090b
>> STRENGTH 75%
>> QUALITY 0%
>> LOCK Yes
>>
>> Then I changed to Channel 106 (BBC1 HD) and got:
>> SIGNAL 1
>> NETWORK
>> TRANSPORT
>> STRENGTH 0%
>> QUALITY 0%
>> LOCK No
>> SIGNAL 2
>> NETWORK 003b
>> TRANSPORT 090b
>> STRENGTH 75%
>> QUALITY 0%
>> LOCK Yes
>>
>> Other than deducing that no Signal 1 means "No Signal" displayed on
>> screen, the information means nothing to me. I am hoping someone can
>> explain the above.
>>
>> My TV has an F connector I have never used (I have always used Freeview
>> on the TV), so I connected one of the satellite downleads to it and
>> asked for an autotune of the satellite (Astra 28.2, it said as it
>> tuned). It gave me just 48 stations, and as I browsed through them
>> afterwards I found that one of them (numbered 34!) was Quest Red +1, so
>> it looks as though it had found the channels that were coming through on
>> the PVR but not the ones that didn't.
>>
>> With the downlink connected again to the PVR I did a bit more
>> experimenting. Channels 101 to 125 were all "No Signal". Every channel
>> I tried at random above 125 did have a picture, though a few of them
>> pixellated occasionally.
>>
>> Curiouser and curiouser.
>>
>> Jim
>
> The receive can switch the LNB between receiving Horizontal and Vertical
> channels. It can also switch the LNB between receiving higher or lower
> frequencies.
>
> Sometimes LNBs fail in a way that stops them receiving channels in one
> or two of these quadrants.
>
> Channel details cabbe found on:
>
> https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Thanks for the channel details.

I haven't done a proper check, but the channels I remember working are
all in the higher frequencies, but I didn't have a big enough mental
sample to decide whether it was all the lower frequencies missing or
just the Horizontal.

It looks as though a replacement LNB might be all I need.

Jim

Jim

Re: Missing Freesat - an oddity

<s7taju$iam$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22639&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22639

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 09:47:56 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 17 May 2021 08:47 UTC

I think the technical term for this condition is buggered.. ahem..
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

<s7tap4$jdi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22640&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22640

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 09:50:42 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 17 May 2021 08:50 UTC

So how does the lnb actually change its polarity. Does this actually mean
polarity or is it more like a corkscrew left or right in reality?

"Michael Chare" <mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDO.Torg.uk> wrote in message
> On 16/05/2021 12:24, Indy Jess John wrote:
>> Could anybody explain the following in plain English please.
>>
>> The new LNB is not due until Monday or Tuesday. I was idly choosing
>> programme numbers on the Freesat PVR at random this morning and when I
>> put in 170 I got picture and sound on a channel that identified itself as
>> "Quest Red +1".
>>
>> So I looked up the "Signal Information" screen and it said:
>> SIGNAL 1
>> NETWORK 003b
>> TRANSPORT 07F3
>> STRENGTH 75%
>> QUALITY 60%
>> LOCK Yes
>> SIGNAL 2
>> NETWORK 003b
>> TRANSPORT 090b
>> STRENGTH 75%
>> QUALITY 0%
>> LOCK Yes
>>
>> Then I changed to Channel 106 (BBC1 HD) and got:
>> SIGNAL 1
>> NETWORK
>> TRANSPORT
>> STRENGTH 0%
>> QUALITY 0%
>> LOCK No
>> SIGNAL 2
>> NETWORK 003b
>> TRANSPORT 090b
>> STRENGTH 75%
>> QUALITY 0%
>> LOCK Yes
>>
>> Other than deducing that no Signal 1 means "No Signal" displayed on
>> screen, the information means nothing to me. I am hoping someone can
>> explain the above.
>>
>> My TV has an F connector I have never used (I have always used Freeview
>> on the TV), so I connected one of the satellite downleads to it and asked
>> for an autotune of the satellite (Astra 28.2, it said as it tuned). It
>> gave me just 48 stations, and as I browsed through them afterwards I
>> found that one of them (numbered 34!) was Quest Red +1, so it looks as
>> though it had found the channels that were coming through on the PVR but
>> not the ones that didn't.
>>
>> With the downlink connected again to the PVR I did a bit more
>> experimenting. Channels 101 to 125 were all "No Signal". Every channel I
>> tried at random above 125 did have a picture, though a few of them
>> pixellated occasionally.
>>
>> Curiouser and curiouser.
>>
>> Jim
>
> The receive can switch the LNB between receiving Horizontal and Vertical
> channels. It can also switch the LNB between receiving higher or lower
> frequencies.
>
> Sometimes LNBs fail in a way that stops them receiving channels in one or
> two of these quadrants.
>
> Channel details cabbe found on:
>
> https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear
>
> --
> Michael Chare

Re: Missing Freesat - an oddity

<s7tepf$1qv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22645&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22645

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 09:58:48 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 17 May 2021 08:58 UTC

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> So how does the lnb actually change its polarity. Does this actually mean
> polarity or is it more like a corkscrew left or right in reality?

The receiving aerials in the LNB consist of two pins sticking into a
circular aperture though which the dish reflects the signal. One protrudes
at the 12 o'clock position and the other at the 9 o'clock position. Those
pins act as antennas and are sensitive either to vertically polarised or
horizontally polarised signals.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/33/LNB_dissassembled.JPG/220px-LNB_dissassembled.JPG
is a photo.

Re: Missing Freesat - an oddity

<igfnjaFi1rqU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22658&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22658

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 18:31:19 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 17 May 2021 17:31 UTC

NY wrote:

> Brian Gaff wrote:
> >> So how does the lnb actually change its polarity. Does this actually
>> mean polarity or is it more like a corkscrew left or right in reality?
>
> The receiving aerials in the LNB consist of two pins sticking into a
> circular aperture though which the dish reflects the signal. One
> protrudes at the 12 o'clock position and the other at the 9 o'clock
> position. Those pins act as antennas and are sensitive either to
> vertically polarised or horizontally polarised signals.

Though there are other types of LNB (i.e not so-called universal type)
which use clock/anticlock circular polarisation.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Missing Freesat - an oddity