"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." -- John Wooden

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Cyclist detained would-be robber on Tyne & Wear Metro train

SubjectAuthor
* Cyclist detained would-be robber on Tyne & Wear Metro trainswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Pedestrian detained would-be robbing fairy-cyclist on Tyne & WearJNugent
`- Re: Cyclist detained would-be robber on Tyne & Wear Metro trainswldx...@gmail.com

1
Cyclist detained would-be robber on Tyne & Wear Metro train

<32f2b15f-7beb-48ce-aa1f-3f870cd083e4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22609&group=uk.rec.cycling#22609

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 21:33:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Cyclist detained would-be robber on Tyne & Wear Metro train
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 05:33 UTC

Police have praised the actions of a brave member of the public who helped detain a suspected robber on a Metro train.

Plain-clothed officers were conducting patrols on the Metro network when they were alerted to a man attempting to steal a pedal cycle as a train was passing near Palmersville station, in North Tyneside, at about 10pm, last Thursday (February 2).

The cycle owner, however, was not prepared to hand over his bike easily and immediately detained the apparent would-be robber by wrestling him to the floor of the carriage.

Officers on board the train were then able to swiftly intervene and arrested a 38-year-old man on suspicion of robbery.
He has since been released on bail with inquires said to be ongoing.

Speaking about the positive result, Chief Superintendent Sam Rennison, Area Commander for North Tyneside and Northumberland, said: “This was a great arrest which came about as a result of our proactive patrols being carried out across the Metro network.

“I would like to commend the member of the public who bravely tackled the suspect to the ground while alerting our officers.

“While we would never actively encourage members of the public to put themselves at risk or harm, the individual in question acted quickly and decisively, and, they should be very proud of themselves.

“I want the public to know that thefts of any kind will not be tolerated, and anybody found to be responsible will be put before the courts.

“We have uniformed and plain-clothed officers who are routinely patrolling across the Metro network to tackle any pockets of disorder and to bring swift action against the minority who look to cause trouble or commit crime.

“As ever, I’d ask people to continue reporting suspicious behaviour to us, so we can continue to stop thieves in their tracks.”

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/23303293.cyclist-detained-would-be-robber-tyne-wear-metro-train/

Re: Pedestrian detained would-be robbing fairy-cyclist on Tyne & Wear Metro train

<k4erloF74kaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22611&group=uk.rec.cycling#22611

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Pedestrian detained would-be robbing fairy-cyclist on Tyne & Wear
Metro train
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 11:40:41 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 11:40 UTC

On 07/02/2023 05:33 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Police have praised the actions of a brave member of the public who helped detain a suspected robber on a Metro train.
>
> Plain-clothed officers were conducting patrols on the Metro network when they were alerted to a man attempting to steal a fairy-cycle as a train was passing near Palmersville station, in North Tyneside, at about 10pm, last Thursday (February 2).
> The fairy-cycle's owner (who, we hope, was not fairy-cycling on the train, Doug Bollen-style), however, was not prepared to hand over his fairy-bike easily and immediately detained the apparent would-be robbing fairy-cyclist by wrestling him to the floor of the carriage.
> Officers on board the train were then able to swiftly intervene and arrested a 38-year-old man on suspicion of robbery.
> He has since been released on bail with inquires said to be ongoing.
> Speaking about the positive result, Chief Superintendent Sam Rennison, Area Commander for North Tyneside and Northumberland, said: “This was a great arrest which came about as a result of our proactive patrols being carried out across the Metro network.
> “I would like to commend the member of the public who bravely tackled the suspect to the ground while alerting our officers.
> “While we would never actively encourage members of the public to put themselves at risk or harm, the individual in question acted quickly and decisively, and, they should be very proud of themselves.
> “I want the public to know that thefts of any kind will not be tolerated, and anybody found to be responsible will be put before the courts.
> “We have uniformed and plain-clothed officers who are routinely patrolling across the Metro network to tackle any pockets of disorder and to bring swift action against the minority who look to cause trouble or commit crime.
> “As ever, I’d ask people to continue reporting suspicious behaviour to us, so we can continue to stop thieves in their tracks.”
>
> https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/23303293.cyclist-detained-would-be-robber-tyne-wear-metro-train/

FIFY.

NB: The Newcastle Metro doesn't even stretch all that far. A
Metropolitan Line to Amersham it ain't. Why couldn't the fairy-cyclist
who owned the fairy-cycle simply ride to wherever he was going?

Re: Cyclist detained would-be robber on Tyne & Wear Metro train

<3dcf6b8b-0297-47d9-bced-66ec1d337ea9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22613&group=uk.rec.cycling#22613

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 03:59:15 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 11:59 UTC

QUOTE: “While we would never actively encourage members of the public to put themselves at risk or harm, the individual in question acted quickly and decisively, and, they should be very proud of themselves. ENDS

It was nothing - Cycling Mikey had has hundreds of law breaking drivers arrested for breaking the law over the years.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Cyclist detained would-be robber on Tyne & Wear Metro train