Slang is language that takes off its coat, spits on its hands, and goes to work.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Short matches

SubjectAuthor
* Short matchesmike
`* Re: Short matchesJohn Hall
 `* Re: Short matchesDavid North
  `- Re: Short matchesJohn Hall

1
Short matches

<93866eb4-3996-403d-ae8e-e87b01df874bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22626&group=uk.sport.cricket#22626

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:50:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Short matches
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:50 UTC

TMS saltyman had a great time reeling off all sorts of stats
for the third test at the oval. The 1 i remember was it lasted
909 legal balls, which in balls is apparently the least in
england tests. before it was windies 2000 at headingley
which was the last to finish inside 2 days, something the
umpires stopped from happening last nite, although
technically it was the 4th day.

mike

Re: Short matches

<LRl55LD5vEIjFwX+@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22639&group=uk.sport.cricket#22639

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Short matches
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:23:05 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 09:23 UTC

In message <93866eb4-3996-403d-ae8e-e87b01df874bn@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>TMS saltyman had a great time reeling off all sorts of stats
>for the third test at the oval. The 1 i remember was it lasted
>909 legal balls, which in balls is apparently the least in
>england tests. before it was windies 2000 at headingley
>which was the last to finish inside 2 days, something the
>umpires stopped from happening last nite, although
>technically it was the 4th day.
>
>mike

I thought it was supposed to be the shortest since 1888 (or it might
have been 1912).
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: Short matches

<jodbc1FhnvtU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22662&group=uk.sport.cricket#22662

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 07:41:05 +0100
 by: David North - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 06:41 UTC

On 13/09/2022 10:23, John Hall wrote:
> In message <93866eb4-3996-403d-ae8e-e87b01df874bn@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> TMS saltyman had a great time reeling off all sorts of stats
>> for the third test at the oval. The 1 i remember was it lasted
>> 909 legal balls, which in balls is apparently the least in
>> england tests. before it was windies 2000 at headingley
>> which was the last to finish inside 2 days, something the
>> umpires stopped from happening last nite, although
>> technically it was the 4th day.
>>
>> mike
>
> I thought it was supposed to be the shortest since 1888 (or it might
> have been 1912).

It was the shortest completed Test in England since 1912.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;groupby=match;host=1;orderby=balls;orderbyad=reverse;result=1;result=2;template=results;type=team

There were 3 shorter England Tests overseas in between: Bridgetown
1934/35 (672 balls), Centurion 1999/2000 (883 balls) and Ahmedabad
2020/21 (842 balls).

--
David North

Re: Short matches

<urYfGKDnKaIjFwRJ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22663&group=uk.sport.cricket#22663

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 10:45:11 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 09:45 UTC

In message <jodbc1FhnvtU2@mid.individual.net>, David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On 13/09/2022 10:23, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <93866eb4-3996-403d-ae8e-e87b01df874bn@googlegroups.com>,
>>mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>> TMS saltyman had a great time reeling off all sorts of stats
>>> for the third test at the oval. The 1 i remember was it lasted
>>> 909 legal balls, which in balls is apparently the least in
>>> england tests. before it was windies 2000 at headingley
>>> which was the last to finish inside 2 days, something the
>>> umpires stopped from happening last nite, although
>>> technically it was the 4th day.
>>>
>>> mike
>> I thought it was supposed to be the shortest since 1888 (or it might
>>have been 1912).
>
>It was the shortest completed Test in England since 1912.
>
>https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter
>=advanced;groupby=match;host=1;orderby=balls;orderbyad=reverse;result=1;
>result=2;template=results;type=team
>
>There were 3 shorter England Tests overseas in between: Bridgetown
>1934/35 (672 balls), Centurion 1999/2000 (883 balls) and Ahmedabad
>2020/21 (842 balls).

To finish a match in 672 balls is impressive. Bad weather meant that it
lasted into the third day, but given the over rates of the time it's
only a day's actual cricket. OTOH the bad weather was the major factor
in the scores being so low, as the pitch was clearly badly
rain-affected. The match was made even shorter by a couple of
declarations with 6 or 7 wickets down, with the aim of forcing the
opposition to bat before the pitch could dry out and become easier.

West Indies 102 (Headley 44) and 51-6d, England 81-7d (Hammond 43) and
75-6 (Hammond 29*) in 16.3 overs (a bit of Bazball there?). In both
sides' second innings, tail-enders were sent in at the top of the
innings in the hope that conditions would ease.