Go ahead... make my day. -- Dirty Harry

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous road

SubjectAuthor
* Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous roadswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act onSpike
|`* Re: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act onBrian
| `- Re: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act onSpike
+- Re: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous roadswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous roadswldx...@gmail.com

1
Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous road

<385f6eb9-8713-47ef-a6a1-156869ed29ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22650&group=uk.rec.cycling#22650

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 22:22:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous road
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 06:22 UTC

Drivers ignore the priority signs on these chicanes.

A man has urged council bosses to make a “dangerous” road safe for cyclists after he was knocked off his bike by a car.

George White regularly cycles along Arundel Road in Peacehaven.

He said the car had been queueing at a chicane, a traffic calming measure where drivers have to give way to oncoming traffic, and pulled out. George said it knocked him off his bike and on to the verge.

The bike got caught under the car and he got details from the driver and a passerby who helped him get it out, he said.

The incident happened last week. George, who lives in Peachehaven, said: “I am fine now, but I am worried about future incidents.

“At rush hour many cars avoid the coast road and drive down Arundel to avoid the traffic.”

Councillor David Seabrook, of Peacehaven Town Council, said: "Arundel Road is so dangerous for cyclists even though it is considered a National Cycle Route.

“What George described has happened to me several times and I have been forced up on to the verge but have never an actual collision.

"The traffic islands are supposed to slow traffic but it has had the opposite effect. Cars pull out and drive straight at you on the wrong side of the road and don’t see you. I avoid the road now.”

The Argus: The chichane pictured here was put in as a traffic-calming measure, but has made the road 'dangerous' for cyclists. George said the islands were put in as a safety measure but they are not helping cyclists “at all”.

Get more great stories like this delivered to your inbox every day by signing up to our morning newsletter - don't miss out!

“I think the council should speak to professional cycling organisations because they have experts who will know how to make this road safe,” said George.

“Luckily I am OK and my bike is sturdy so it isn’t badly damaged, but the driver did offer to pay for any repairs.”

Cllr Seabrook said he would add the issue to the agenda for any upcoming meetings with East Sussex County Council’s highways department.

A spokeswoman for East Sussex County Council said: “Whilst Arundel Road already has a traffic calming scheme in place to reduce traffic speeds, our local cycling and walking infrastructure plan (LCWIP) identifies further potential improvements that would improve this section of National Cycle Route 2 for cyclists.

“Our LCWIP sets out existing and potential new cycling and walking routes across the whole of East Sussex but these cannot all be funded through our limited annual allocation of capital funding.

"We do however actively seek external funding opportunities to enable us to bring forward improvements to our cycling network where possible.

“The Peacehaven section of the A259 has been included in the A259 major road network south coast corridor study being undertaken by the council, which is assessing a range of potential schemes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness for all road users.

"Once the proposed package of schemes has been finalised later this year, we will submit a first stage business case to government seeking funding for further design and business case development for the improvements to the A259.”

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23305897.peacehaven-man-knocked-off-bike-urges-council-act-dangerous-road/

Re: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous road

<k4ha6hFiocrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22653&group=uk.rec.cycling#22653

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on
dangerous road
Date: 8 Feb 2023 10:00:49 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 10:00 UTC

It’s not unknown for safety measures that have been poorly thought through
or advanced without a suitable evidence base to have a different outcome
than that desired. The article below speaks more of political expediency
and virtue signalling rather than fact-based research.

--
Spike

Re: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous road

<trvv8o$55n3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22655&group=uk.rec.cycling#22655

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
dangerous road
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 10:58:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lts0cPbpxWQLm31jmS8piAXZnYc=
 by: Brian - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 10:58 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
> [...]
>> National Cycle Route 2 for cyclists.
>>
>> “Our LCWIP sets out existing and potential new cycling and walking routes
>> across the whole of East Sussex but these cannot all be funded through
>> our limited annual allocation of capital funding.
>>
>> "We do however actively seek external funding opportunities to enable us
>> to bring forward improvements to our cycling network where possible.
>>
>> “The Peacehaven section of the A259 has been included in the A259 major
>> road network south coast corridor study being undertaken by the council,
>> which is assessing a range of potential schemes to improve the efficiency
>> and effectiveness for all road users.
>>
>> "Once the proposed package of schemes has been finalised later this year,
>> we will submit a first stage business case to government seeking funding
>> for further design and business case development for the improvements to the A259.”

It seems more likely cyclists aren’t obeying the signs.

If they did, they wouldn’t be in the path of on coming cars with priority.

Re: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous road

<273d01c6-edd5-4b78-a813-4e3455e29f4en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22659&group=uk.rec.cycling#22659

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 03:42:32 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 11:42 UTC

"Drivers don't run cyclists down on purpose." - normally yes but here in Hangleton and Knoll we have a Tory candidate standing in the local elections who suggested exactly that on a popular football website. Strangely he got his post deleted when he first stood as a candidate in Withdean.

Re: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous road

<k4hn7fFknqvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22661&group=uk.rec.cycling#22661

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
dangerous road
Date: 8 Feb 2023 13:43:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 13:43 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> "We do however actively seek external funding opportunities to enable us
>>> to bring forward improvements to our cycling network where possible.
>>>
>>> “The Peacehaven section of the A259 has been included in the A259 major
>>> road network south coast corridor study being undertaken by the council,
>>> which is assessing a range of potential schemes to improve the efficiency
>>> and effectiveness for all road users.
>>>
>>> "Once the proposed package of schemes has been finalised later this year,
>>> we will submit a first stage business case to government seeking funding
>>> for further design and business case development for the improvements to the A259.”
>>>
>>> https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23305897.peacehaven-man-knocked-off-bike-urges-council-act-dangerous-road/

> It seems more likely cyclists aren’t obeying the signs.

> If they did, they wouldn’t be in the path of on coming cars with priority.

Yes, this looks like one of those stories where certain facts aren’t
mentioned, which have the effect of making drivers look bad.

The elephant in the room being that cyclists in general are *very*
reluctant to slow or stop, and the lack of facts in this account suggests
that this is what happened.

Arundel Road looks like a nightmare for motor vehicles, and it certainly
isn’t helping cyclists.

The Local Authority needs to get some fact-based evidence for what works
for *all* the traffic in these situations, rather than just a small subset
of self-entitled loudmouths.

--
Spike

Re: Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous road

<f5220364-de59-4688-82c7-6e2ff481aaaan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22663&group=uk.rec.cycling#22663

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 06:10:11 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 14:10 UTC

Common sense is wearing something other than black on a winter's morning.
Looking out for each other works both ways. Drivers don't run cyclists down on purpose.

Aaah, classic victim blaming I see.

I suppose women dressed up for a night out brought it on themselves when attacked too?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Peacehaven man knocked off bike urges council to act on dangerous road