* gb notes that fdisk thinks his cdrom can store one terabyte -- Seen on #Linux

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: All-time England Bazball XI

SubjectAuthor
* All-time England Bazball XIJohn Hall
+* Re: All-time England Bazball XIMike Holmans
|`* Re: All-time England Bazball XIJohn Hall
| `* Re: All-time England Bazball XIMike Holmans
|  `* Re: All-time England Bazball XIJohn Hall
|   `* Re: All-time England Bazball XIMike Holmans
|    +* Re: All-time England Bazball XImax.it
|    |`* Re: All-time England Bazball XImike
|    | +- Re: All-time England Bazball XIJohn Hall
|    | `* Re: All-time England Bazball XIMike Holmans
|    |  `* Re: All-time England Bazball XIJohn Hall
|    |   +* Re: All-time England Bazball XIMike Holmans
|    |   |`- Re: All-time England Bazball XIJohn Hall
|    |   +* Re: All-time England Bazball XIMike Holmans
|    |   |`- Re: All-time England Bazball XIJohn Hall
|    |   `- Re: All-time England Bazball XIRobert Henderson
|    +- Re: All-time England Bazball XIJohn Hall
|    `* Re: All-time England Bazball XIMike Holmans
|     `* Re: All-time England Bazball XIJohn Hall
|      `- Re: All-time England Bazball XIRobert Henderson
+* Re: All-time England Bazball XIjack fredricks
|`* Re: All-time England Bazball XIJohn Hall
| `- Re: All-time England Bazball XIjack fredricks
`- Re: All-time England Bazball XIRobert Henderson

1
All-time England Bazball XI

<9DHUdTDPf2HjFwJN@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22611&group=uk.sport.cricket#22611

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: All-time England Bazball XI
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:09:35 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:09 UTC

(Excluding current players, or Stokes, probably Bairstow and maybe Moeen
Ali would be in.)

Harold Gimblett
Colin Milburn
Ted Dexter
Denis Compton
Gilbert Jessop
Ian Botham
Godfrey Evans (w)
Walter Robins (c - Dexter was too defensive a captain and Botham wasn't
a success in the role)

Then we need two more pace bowlers and a finger-spinner to complete the
XI, but choosing them is far more difficult than choosing the batsmen.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<8dquhh9onui3ft9kbc08g8gcotlqp8adrr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22612&group=uk.sport.cricket#22612

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: All-time England Bazball XI
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:18:04 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:18 UTC

On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:09:35 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>(Excluding current players, or Stokes, probably Bairstow and maybe Moeen
>Ali would be in.)
>
>Harold Gimblett
>Colin Milburn
>Ted Dexter
>Denis Compton
>Gilbert Jessop
>Ian Botham
>Godfrey Evans (w)
>Walter Robins (c - Dexter was too defensive a captain and Botham wasn't
>a success in the role)
>
>Then we need two more pace bowlers and a finger-spinner to complete the
>XI, but choosing them is far more difficult than choosing the batsmen.

Barnes, Tyson and Woolley.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<HTmaJnEKY3HjFw+1@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22613&group=uk.sport.cricket#22613

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:10:18 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:10 UTC

In message <8dquhh9onui3ft9kbc08g8gcotlqp8adrr@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:09:35 +0100, John Hall
><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>(Excluding current players, or Stokes, probably Bairstow and maybe Moeen
>>Ali would be in.)
>>
>>Harold Gimblett
>>Colin Milburn
>>Ted Dexter
>>Denis Compton
>>Gilbert Jessop
>>Ian Botham
>>Godfrey Evans (w)
>>Walter Robins (c - Dexter was too defensive a captain and Botham wasn't
>>a success in the role)
>>
>>Then we need two more pace bowlers and a finger-spinner to complete the
>>XI, but choosing them is far more difficult than choosing the batsmen.
>
>Barnes, Tyson and Woolley.

Woolley's a good idea that hadn't occurred to me, and I wouldn't quarrel
with Barnes and Tyson. So we have:

Gimblett
Milburn
Dexter
Compton
Woolley
Jessop
Botham
Evans (w)
Robins (c)
Barnes
Tyson

Their Australian opposition would include Bradman, Trumper, Macartney,
Miller, Gilchrist, Jack Gregory and Warne.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<14uuhhhb9a5c1sj1b6tkd9npgqnglthb2l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22614&group=uk.sport.cricket#22614

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:23:49 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:23 UTC

On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:10:18 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>Woolley's a good idea that hadn't occurred to me, and I wouldn't quarrel
>with Barnes and Tyson. So we have:
>
>Gimblett
>Milburn
>Dexter
>Compton
>Woolley
>Jessop
>Botham
>Evans (w)
>Robins (c)
>Barnes
>Tyson

I'm not sure that I wouldn't put Woolley at 3 and have Percy Chapman
bat at 5 and captain. Which then makes Robins's place open to
question.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<sjQQlSFRu3HjFw5j@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22615&group=uk.sport.cricket#22615

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:33:53 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:33 UTC

In message <14uuhhhb9a5c1sj1b6tkd9npgqnglthb2l@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:10:18 +0100, John Hall
><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Woolley's a good idea that hadn't occurred to me, and I wouldn't quarrel
>>with Barnes and Tyson. So we have:
>>
>>Gimblett
>>Milburn
>>Dexter
>>Compton
>>Woolley
>>Jessop
>>Botham
>>Evans (w)
>>Robins (c)
>>Barnes
>>Tyson
>
>I'm not sure that I wouldn't put Woolley at 3 and have Percy Chapman
>bat at 5 and captain. Which then makes Robins's place open to
>question.

That's not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of Chapman. But it would mean we
didn't have a wrist-spinner, which seems a very Bazball style of bowling
in that it tends to emphasise wicket-taking over economy (even though
the current England side doesn't have one).
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<vo0vhhleng2qdo2rb4skjjp6lnusb293fb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22617&group=uk.sport.cricket#22617

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:21:47 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:21 UTC

On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:33:53 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <14uuhhhb9a5c1sj1b6tkd9npgqnglthb2l@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
><spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>>On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:10:18 +0100, John Hall
>><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>Woolley's a good idea that hadn't occurred to me, and I wouldn't quarrel
>>>with Barnes and Tyson. So we have:
>>>
>>>Gimblett
>>>Milburn
>>>Dexter
>>>Compton
>>>Woolley
>>>Jessop
>>>Botham
>>>Evans (w)
>>>Robins (c)
>>>Barnes
>>>Tyson
>>
>>I'm not sure that I wouldn't put Woolley at 3 and have Percy Chapman
>>bat at 5 and captain. Which then makes Robins's place open to
>>question.
>
>That's not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of Chapman. But it would mean we
>didn't have a wrist-spinner, which seems a very Bazball style of bowling
>in that it tends to emphasise wicket-taking over economy (even though
>the current England side doesn't have one).

I'm not convinced that I'd pick Evans ahead of Ames or Paul Gibb as
the keeper.

In saying Robins's place is open to question, I was mainly thinking of
the fact that you had selected him at least in part for his captaincy.
If Chapman is captain, that no longer applies so we can have another
wrist-spinner if we want to. Either Dexter or Jessop get squeezed out
(their bowling being just about equivalent) if you want a proper
wrist-spinner, or there's Compton's more than decent wrist-spin.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<v26vhh5ggsijrcv6v20o2pn4vqk2jgckk4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22618&group=uk.sport.cricket#22618

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:38:10 +0100
 by: max.it - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:38 UTC

On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:21:47 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:33:53 +0100, John Hall
><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <14uuhhhb9a5c1sj1b6tkd9npgqnglthb2l@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
>><spam@jackalope.uk> writes

>>>I'm not sure that I wouldn't put Woolley at 3 and have Percy Chapman
>>>bat at 5 and captain. Which then makes Robins's place open to
>>>question.
>>
>>That's not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of Chapman. But it would mean we
>>didn't have a wrist-spinner, which seems a very Bazball style of bowling
>>in that it tends to emphasise wicket-taking over economy (even though
>>the current England side doesn't have one).
>
>I'm not convinced that I'd pick Evans ahead of Ames or Paul Gibb as
>the keeper.
>
>In saying Robins's place is open to question, I was mainly thinking of
>the fact that you had selected him at least in part for his captaincy.
>If Chapman is captain, that no longer applies so we can have another
>wrist-spinner if we want to. Either Dexter or Jessop get squeezed out
>(their bowling being just about equivalent) if you want a proper
>wrist-spinner, or there's Compton's more than decent wrist-spin.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike

If it was Baz bowl I'd have Devon Malcolm and Alex Tudor on the squad.

max.it

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<Wt2+GPGJj5HjFw$0@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22619&group=uk.sport.cricket#22619

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:38:33 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:38 UTC

In message <vo0vhhleng2qdo2rb4skjjp6lnusb293fb@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:33:53 +0100, John Hall
><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <14uuhhhb9a5c1sj1b6tkd9npgqnglthb2l@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
>><spam@jackalope.uk> writes

>>>I'm not sure that I wouldn't put Woolley at 3 and have Percy Chapman
>>>bat at 5 and captain. Which then makes Robins's place open to
>>>question.
>>
>>That's not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of Chapman. But it would mean we
>>didn't have a wrist-spinner, which seems a very Bazball style of bowling
>>in that it tends to emphasise wicket-taking over economy (even though
>>the current England side doesn't have one).
>
>I'm not convinced that I'd pick Evans ahead of Ames or Paul Gibb as
>the keeper.

There seems to have been a sort of showmanship about just not his
keeping but perhaps his batting too that led me to choose him. It fits
in with Bazball being about entertainment.

>In saying Robins's place is open to question, I was mainly thinking of
>the fact that you had selected him at least in part for his captaincy.
>If Chapman is captain, that no longer applies so we can have another
>wrist-spinner if we want to.

Though another wrist-spinner probably wouldn't have Robins' ability to
play a flashy cameo with the bat. But Adil Rashid, Doug Wright, Ian
Peebles or - going right back - Bernard Bosanquet would all be possible
selections.

> Either Dexter or Jessop get squeezed out
>(their bowling being just about equivalent) if you want a proper
>wrist-spinner, or there's Compton's more than decent wrist-spin.

That's true. I think his bowling was probably under-valued.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<0r5vhhlas1m1t4h3ian6uddteku7ohhd26@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22620&group=uk.sport.cricket#22620

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:45:31 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:45 UTC

wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:33:53 +0100, John Hall
><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <14uuhhhb9a5c1sj1b6tkd9npgqnglthb2l@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
>><spam@jackalope.uk> writes

>>>I'm not sure that I wouldn't put Woolley at 3 and have Percy Chapman
>>>bat at 5 and captain. Which then makes Robins's place open to
>>>question.
>>
>>That's not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of Chapman. But it would mean we
>>didn't have a wrist-spinner, which seems a very Bazball style of bowling
>>in that it tends to emphasise wicket-taking over economy (even though
>>the current England side doesn't have one).
>
>I'm not convinced that I'd pick Evans ahead of Ames or Paul Gibb as
>the keeper.
>
>In saying Robins's place is open to question, I was mainly thinking of
>the fact that you had selected him at least in part for his captaincy.
>If Chapman is captain, that no longer applies so we can have another
>wrist-spinner if we want to. Either Dexter or Jessop get squeezed out
>(their bowling being just about equivalent) if you want a proper
>wrist-spinner, or there's Compton's more than decent wrist-spin.

Further, I understand the rationale for Gimblett and Milburn, and it's
not a bad one.

But I'd like to nominate George Gunn, because we've seen that
occasionally this England side will block, and he would when no-one
was expecting it, just as he would advance down the wicket and thrash
the ball when no-one was expecting it. As I understand it, part of
what England want to do is surprise people, and Gunn was definitely
surprising.

I'm also tempted by Archie Maclaren, although he'd insist on
captaining. As the guy who picked a side including Chapman and some
other young players and beat the Australians when England had signally
failed, he's certainly enterprising enough, and he was capable of
scoring fast when he wanted to.

So my XI is now

Maclaren (c)
Gunn
Woolley
Compton
Chapman
Jessop
Botham
Gibb (k)
Fender
Barnes
Tyson

Cheers,

Mike

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<4387e177-0b87-4f37-8c4f-ce60d36146f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22621&group=uk.sport.cricket#22621

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:47:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:47 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 9:38:15 PM UTC+1, max.it wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:21:47 +0100, Mike Holmans <sp...@jackalope.uk>
> wrote:
> >On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:33:53 +0100, John Hall
> ><john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >>In message <14uuhhhb9a5c1sj1b...@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
> >><sp...@jackalope.uk> writes

> >>That's not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of Chapman. But it would mean we
> >>didn't have a wrist-spinner, which seems a very Bazball style of bowling
> >>in that it tends to emphasise wicket-taking over economy (even though
> >>the current England side doesn't have one).
> >
> >I'm not convinced that I'd pick Evans ahead of Ames or Paul Gibb as
> >the keeper.

i would always choose Knott as keeper in any all time england XI, but
my cricket memory only goes back to 1970. he was a fantastic batter
when needed with for the time amazing range of shots, and i dont think
you need botham and jessop, 1 or other, i would choose botham just cos we
all saw him play live.

Swann maybe isnt our greatest spinner, but i think he would certainly
embrace that style of play, and he liked to hit out in his batting too.
otherwise for legspin i suggest Doug Wright especially if its wickets
over economy. if only they could cure his overstepping.

> If it was Baz bowl I'd have Devon Malcolm and Alex Tudor on the squad.
>
> max.it

John Snow

mike

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<B9G7C$GI45HjFwdI@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22622&group=uk.sport.cricket#22622

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 22:00:56 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:00 UTC

In message <4387e177-0b87-4f37-8c4f-ce60d36146f2n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>i would always choose Knott as keeper in any all time england XI, but
>my cricket memory only goes back to 1970. he was a fantastic batter
>when needed with for the time amazing range of shots,

He was, and I would choose him in my all-time England XI too, just not
in my all-time Bazball XI, as Evans seems to have been a showier keeper
(not better but definitely showier).

> and i dont think you need botham and jessop, 1 or other, i would
>choose botham just cos we all saw him play live.

If I had to choose just one, I'd go for Botham too, but I thought there
was room for both of them.

>Swann maybe isnt our greatest spinner, but i think he would certainly
>embrace that style of play, and he liked to hit out in his batting too.

Yes, I'm very tempted by him as the finger-spinner too.

> otherwise for legspin i suggest Doug Wright especially if its wickets
>over economy.

Yep.

> if only they could cure his overstepping.

Was he prone to that? It seems he was ahead of his time then, since
nowadays it seems to be very fashionable. :)
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<337vhh55pc3ggfcsmskg9bkaae7c6123ue@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22623&group=uk.sport.cricket#22623

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 22:10:06 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:10 UTC

On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:47:12 -0700 (PDT), mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>i would always choose Knott as keeper in any all time england XI, but
>my cricket memory only goes back to 1970. he was a fantastic batter
>when needed with for the time amazing range of shots, and i dont think
>you need botham and jessop, 1 or other, i would choose botham just cos we
>all saw him play live.
>
>Swann maybe isnt our greatest spinner, but i think he would certainly
>embrace that style of play, and he liked to hit out in his batting too.
>otherwise for legspin i suggest Doug Wright especially if its wickets
>over economy. if only they could cure his overstepping.
>
>> If it was Baz bowl I'd have Devon Malcolm and Alex Tudor on the squad.
>>
>> max.it
>
>John Snow

Well, I've changed my mind again.

Maclaren (c)
Gunn
Woolley
Compton
Pietersen
Botham
D Bairstow (k)
Fender
AER Gilligan
Appleyard
Barnes

Cheers,

Mike

Fender
Barnes

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<o+TBSyHcC6HjFwo3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22624&group=uk.sport.cricket#22624

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 22:11:56 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:11 UTC

In message <0r5vhhlas1m1t4h3ian6uddteku7ohhd26@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>Further, I understand the rationale for Gimblett and Milburn, and it's
>not a bad one.
>
>But I'd like to nominate George Gunn, because we've seen that
>occasionally this England side will block, and he would when no-one was
>expecting it, just as he would advance down the wicket and thrash the
>ball when no-one was expecting it. As I understand it, part of what
>England want to do is surprise people, and Gunn was definitely surprising.

Yes, he's a particular favourite of mine too.

>I'm also tempted by Archie Maclaren, although he'd insist on
>captaining. As the guy who picked a side including Chapman and some
>other young players and beat the Australians when England had signally
>failed, he's certainly enterprising enough, and he was capable of
>scoring fast when he wanted to.

True. I did give some thought to his Lancashire compatriot Johnny
Tyldesley as my number 3. Other players from that era worth considering
could be Kenneth Hutchings and Jack Crawford. Oh, and Ranji.

>So my XI is now
>
>Maclaren (c)
>Gunn
>Woolley
>Compton
>Chapman
>Jessop
>Botham
>Gibb (k)
>Fender
>Barnes
>Tyson

Ah, as a Surrey man I should have thought of Fender. If he's in, I think
he'd be a better choice of captain than MacLaren. I did toy with the
idea of Lionel Tennyson as captain.

I'm reluctant to lose Milburn from the XI. And I'm not sure about Gibb
as keeper, as I've never heard that he was showy as a keeper or a
particularly attacking batsman.

Another possible opener would be Bob Barber.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<be5197ef-a80c-4f2f-9f7e-2f62abf02237n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22629&group=uk.sport.cricket#22629

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:56:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 23:56 UTC

On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 3:14:23 AM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> (Excluding current players, or Stokes, probably Bairstow and maybe Moeen
> Ali would be in.)

If those guys qualify, then so does KP.

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<d6d7ef84-faa9-43a2-9fdb-1dec2cd4074en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22634&group=uk.sport.cricket#22634

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 23:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 06:47 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 6:14:23 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> (Excluding current players, or Stokes, probably Bairstow and maybe Moeen
> Ali would be in.)
>
> Harold Gimblett
> Colin Milburn
> Ted Dexter
> Denis Compton
> Gilbert Jessop
> Ian Botham
> Godfrey Evans (w)
> Walter Robins (c - Dexter was too defensive a captain and Botham wasn't
> a success in the role)
>
> Then we need two more pace bowlers and a finger-spinner to complete the
> XI, but choosing them is far more difficult than choosing the batsmen.
> --
> John Hall

WG Grace, Jack Hobbs,FS Jackson, Peter May, Jack Crawford, Hedley Verity, Ames (wk), Fred Trueman, Harold Larwood, George Lohmann, Frank Foster

Six pace bowlers and two spinners.

Grace and Hobbs were very fast scorers especially before they passed 40. RH

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<68c1c5f0-5554-430a-8f91-bf9606626bc6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22635&group=uk.sport.cricket#22635

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 01:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 08:16 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 10:12:15 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <0r5vhhlas1m1t4h3i...@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
> <sp...@jackalope.uk> writes
> >Further, I understand the rationale for Gimblett and Milburn, and it's
> >not a bad one.
> >
> >But I'd like to nominate George Gunn, because we've seen that
> >occasionally this England side will block, and he would when no-one was
> >expecting it, just as he would advance down the wicket and thrash the
> >ball when no-one was expecting it. As I understand it, part of what
> >England want to do is surprise people, and Gunn was definitely surprising.
> Yes, he's a particular favourite of mine too.
> >
> >I'm also tempted by Archie Maclaren, although he'd insist on
> >captaining. As the guy who picked a side including Chapman and some
> >other young players and beat the Australians when England had signally
> >failed, he's certainly enterprising enough, and he was capable of
> >scoring fast when he wanted to.
> True. I did give some thought to his Lancashire compatriot Johnny
> Tyldesley as my number 3. Other players from that era worth considering
> could be Kenneth Hutchings and Jack Crawford. Oh, and Ranji.
> >
> >So my XI is now
> >
> >Maclaren (c)
> >Gunn
> >Woolley
> >Compton
> >Chapman
> >Jessop
> >Botham
> >Gibb (k)
> >Fender
> >Barnes
> >Tyson
> Ah, as a Surrey man I should have thought of Fender. If he's in, I think
> he'd be a better choice of captain than MacLaren. I did toy with the
> idea of Lionel Tennyson as captain.
>
> I'm reluctant to lose Milburn from the XI. And I'm not sure about Gibb
> as keeper, as I've never heard that he was showy as a keeper or a
> particularly attacking batsman.

Gibb was a classic opening batsman.. RH

> Another possible opener would be Bob Barber.

Barber is of interest because he went from being a stodgy batsman (and leg spinner) for Lancs until he moved to Warks and the Gillette Cup came along. He then transformed himself into an attacking batsman . RH

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<lhHyVLByhEIjFwQm@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22636&group=uk.sport.cricket#22636

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:08:02 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 09:08 UTC

In message <337vhh55pc3ggfcsmskg9bkaae7c6123ue@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>Well, I've changed my mind again.
>
>Maclaren (c)
>Gunn
>Woolley
>Compton
>Pietersen
>Botham
>D Bairstow (k)
>Fender
>AER Gilligan
>Appleyard
>Barnes

I like that side. I realised overnight that I'd somehow forgotten about
Pietersen, and of course he has to be in. There's a case for Gilligan
being captain rather than Maclaren.

I suppose this team of Cavaliers will need a team of Roundheads to play
against:

Boycott
Dick Barlow
Phil Mead
Ken Barrington (who wouldn't be allowed to bowl his leg-spin)
Tavare
Bailey
Jack Russell (w)
Titmus
Shackleton
Alfred Shaw (who over his f-c career I believe conceded less than 1 rpo,
which even for 4-ball overs is amazing)
Underwood

Bailey would probably be captain. Though he never captained England, he
should have done.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<oRZx5oBJkEIjFwyD@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22637&group=uk.sport.cricket#22637

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:10:33 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 09:10 UTC

In message <be5197ef-a80c-4f2f-9f7e-2f62abf02237n@googlegroups.com>,
jack fredricks <jzfredricks@gmail.com> writes
>On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 3:14:23 AM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
>> (Excluding current players, or Stokes, probably Bairstow and maybe Moeen
>> Ali would be in.)
>
>If those guys qualify, then so does KP.

Yes, his omission was an unaccountable oversight on my part. Love him or
loathe him - and I'm more in the latter camp - there's no denying his
genius as an attacking batsman.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<osj0ih1a8c7ptspg576i0m6inupfffebgo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22641&group=uk.sport.cricket#22641

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:42:08 +0100
References: <9DHUdTDPf2HjFwJN@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <8dquhh9onui3ft9kbc08g8gcotlqp8adrr@4ax.com> <HTmaJnEKY3HjFw+1@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <14uuhhhb9a5c1sj1b6tkd9npgqnglthb2l@4ax.com> <sjQQlSFRu3HjFw5j@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <vo0vhhleng2qdo2rb4skjjp6lnusb293fb@4ax.com> <v26vhh5ggsijrcv6v20o2pn4vqk2jgckk4@4ax.com> <4387e177-0b87-4f37-8c4f-ce60d36146f2n@googlegroups.com> <337vhh55pc3ggfcsmskg9bkaae7c6123ue@4ax.com> <lhHyVLByhEIjFwQm@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: Mike Holmans - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 09:42 UTC

On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:08:02 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>I suppose this team of Cavaliers will need a team of Roundheads to play
>against:
>
>Boycott
>Dick Barlow
>Phil Mead
>Ken Barrington (who wouldn't be allowed to bowl his leg-spin)
>Tavare
>Bailey
>Jack Russell (w)
>Titmus
>Shackleton
>Alfred Shaw (who over his f-c career I believe conceded less than 1 rpo,
>which even for 4-ball overs is amazing)
>Underwood
>
>Bailey would probably be captain. Though he never captained England, he
>should have done.

Barrington's penchant for reaching his centuries with 6s is possibly a
bit too adventurous.

Anyway, someone's got to be dropped in favour of the legendary WH
Scotton. And there's a case for Johnny Won't Hit Today Douglas too.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<c32d5f8b-a968-4aa5-85bc-c044c2d7fe8dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22642&group=uk.sport.cricket#22642

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 02:43:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 09:43 UTC

On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 7:12:22 PM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> Yes, his omission was an unaccountable oversight on my part. Love him or
> loathe him - and I'm more in the latter camp - there's no denying his
> genius as an attacking batsman.

He was a total knobhead (a lot based on unproven, off-the-field stuff), but overall I loved him.
A rare talent for England, especially w.r.t to batting attitude.

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<ExR6xKErQFIjFwlJ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22643&group=uk.sport.cricket#22643

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:58:03 +0100
<osj0ih1a8c7ptspg576i0m6inupfffebgo@4ax.com>
 by: John Hall - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 09:58 UTC

In message <osj0ih1a8c7ptspg576i0m6inupfffebgo@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:08:02 +0100, John Hall
><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I suppose this team of Cavaliers will need a team of Roundheads to play
>>against:
>>
>>Boycott
>>Dick Barlow
>>Phil Mead
>>Ken Barrington (who wouldn't be allowed to bowl his leg-spin)
>>Tavare
>>Bailey
>>Jack Russell (w)
>>Titmus
>>Shackleton
>>Alfred Shaw (who over his f-c career I believe conceded less than 1 rpo,
>>which even for 4-ball overs is amazing)
>>Underwood
>>
>>Bailey would probably be captain. Though he never captained England, he
>>should have done.
>
>Barrington's penchant for reaching his centuries with 6s is possibly a
>bit too adventurous.

So long as he was slow enough from 0 to 94, I think we can forgive him
that.

>Anyway, someone's got to be dropped in favour of the legendary WH
>Scotton.

True.

> And there's a case for Johnny Won't Hit Today Douglas too.

Yes. I was thinking of him earlier, but had forgotten him by the time I
posted. I'm not sure how just the nickname he was given by Australian
barrackers actually was.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<8oo0ihpfvm1ddimv54auscob9fvf57m9ub@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22646&group=uk.sport.cricket#22646

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 12:09:49 +0100
References: <9DHUdTDPf2HjFwJN@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <8dquhh9onui3ft9kbc08g8gcotlqp8adrr@4ax.com> <HTmaJnEKY3HjFw+1@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <14uuhhhb9a5c1sj1b6tkd9npgqnglthb2l@4ax.com> <sjQQlSFRu3HjFw5j@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <vo0vhhleng2qdo2rb4skjjp6lnusb293fb@4ax.com> <v26vhh5ggsijrcv6v20o2pn4vqk2jgckk4@4ax.com> <4387e177-0b87-4f37-8c4f-ce60d36146f2n@googlegroups.com> <337vhh55pc3ggfcsmskg9bkaae7c6123ue@4ax.com> <lhHyVLByhEIjFwQm@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: Mike Holmans - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 11:09 UTC

On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:08:02 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <337vhh55pc3ggfcsmskg9bkaae7c6123ue@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
><spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>>Well, I've changed my mind again.
>>
>>Maclaren (c)
>>Gunn
>>Woolley
>>Compton
>>Pietersen
>>Botham
>>D Bairstow (k)
>>Fender
>>AER Gilligan
>>Appleyard
>>Barnes
>
>I like that side. I realised overnight that I'd somehow forgotten about
>Pietersen, and of course he has to be in. There's a case for Gilligan
>being captain rather than Maclaren.

There is, but if I had a free choice, I'd give the captaincy to
Fender. I'm assuming Maclaren wouldn't tolerate anyone captaining him.

So, I'm not entirely averse to dropping him in favour of Milburn,
though I'd also give consideration to Trescothick.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<55c3a111-203c-4773-8fd0-ed2c4e259e07n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22651&group=uk.sport.cricket#22651

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 06:47:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 13:47 UTC

On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 10:12:22 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <337vhh55pc3ggfcsm...@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
> <sp...@jackalope.uk> writes
> >Well, I've changed my mind again.
> >
> >Maclaren (c)
> >Gunn
> >Woolley
> >Compton
> >Pietersen
> >Botham
> >D Bairstow (k)
> >Fender
> >AER Gilligan
> >Appleyard
> >Barnes
> I like that side. I realised overnight that I'd somehow forgotten about
> Pietersen, and of course he has to be in. There's a case for Gilligan
> being captain rather than Maclaren.
>
> I suppose this team of Cavaliers will need a team of Roundheads to play
> against:
>
> Boycott
> Dick Barlow
> Phil Mead
> Ken Barrington (who wouldn't be allowed to bowl his leg-spin)
> Tavare
> Bailey
> Jack Russell (w)
> Titmus
> Shackleton
> Alfred Shaw (who over his f-c career I believe conceded less than 1 rpo,
> which even for 4-ball overs is amazing)
> Underwood
>
> Bailey would probably be captain. Though he never captained England, he
> should have done.
> --
> John Hall
> "Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
> But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
> Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Shame on you for omitting Notts' William Scotton ... "One hour of Walter Reid is worth a day of you" RH

Re: All-time England Bazball XI

<Ur9RWzAyOKIjFwX4@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22652&group=uk.sport.cricket#22652

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 16:37:22 +0100
<8oo0ihpfvm1ddimv54auscob9fvf57m9ub@4ax.com>
 by: John Hall - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 15:37 UTC

In message <8oo0ihpfvm1ddimv54auscob9fvf57m9ub@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:08:02 +0100, John Hall
><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <337vhh55pc3ggfcsmskg9bkaae7c6123ue@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
>><spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>>>Well, I've changed my mind again.
>>>
>>>Maclaren (c)
>>>Gunn
>>>Woolley
>>>Compton
>>>Pietersen
>>>Botham
>>>D Bairstow (k)
>>>Fender
>>>AER Gilligan
>>>Appleyard
>>>Barnes
>>
>>I like that side. I realised overnight that I'd somehow forgotten about
>>Pietersen, and of course he has to be in. There's a case for Gilligan
>>being captain rather than Maclaren.
>
>There is, but if I had a free choice, I'd give the captaincy to
>Fender. I'm assuming Maclaren wouldn't tolerate anyone captaining him.
>
>So, I'm not entirely averse to dropping him in favour of Milburn,
>though I'd also give consideration to Trescothick.

Yes, Ttrescothick occurred to me as a possibility a few hours ago.