Courage is grace under pressure.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Massive public support in Scotland for police to bring in video reporting system to catch dangerous drivers

SubjectAuthor
* Massive public support in Scotland for police to bring in video reporting systemswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Massive public support in Scotland for police to bring in videoJNugent
|`- Re: Massive public support in Scotland for police to bring in videoCommander Kinsey
`- Re: Massive public support in Scotland for police to bring in video reporting syswldx...@gmail.com

1
Massive public support in Scotland for police to bring in video reporting system to catch dangerous drivers

<d4bbcff9-a524-44f7-8f58-f52fd8ab6772n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2254&group=uk.rec.cycling#2254

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:27:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Massive public support in Scotland for police to bring in video reporting system to catch dangerous drivers
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:27 UTC

Three in five people living in Scotland want police to introduce an online video reporting system to help catch dangerous drivers, according to a poll commissioned by Cycling UK, which highlights that Police Scotland is one of just five forces across the UK that has not yet implemented such a system..

The national cycling charity, along with the AA, RAC and 30 other organisations, wrote to Police Scotland in March this year (link is external) calling for police to introduce a facility that would enable members of the public to upload footage of poor driving, as 40 police forces nationwide have already done.

> 10 tips for submitting good quality camera evidence to police

Now, a survey conducted by YouGov on behalf of Cycling UK has found that 59 per cent of Scottish adults back the Scottish Government – which has announced a Vision Zero target for road deaths and serious injuries by 2050 – working with Police Scotland to roll out such a scheme, which the charity says saves between eight and 12 hours of police time on each case.

Some 17 per cent of respondents said they opposed the idea, while an identical percentage were neutral on the issue and the remaining 8 per cent said they did not know, according to the poll which was conducted online among 1,204 adults aged 16+ between 16-20 April, with the results weighted to be representative nationally. The question posed in the survey was:

To what extent would you support or oppose the Scottish government working with the police in Scotland to set-up an online system that allows the public to upload footage of dangerous driving on Scottish roads?

Some 24 per cent of survey participants said that they strongly supported the proposal, with 35 per cent saying they somewhat supported it. By contrast, 10 per cent said they were somewhat opposed, and just 7 per cent that they were strongly opposed to the idea.

Jim Densham, Cycling UK’s campaigns and policy manager for Scotland, said: “The Scottish public want to see this life-saving measure brought in.

“The evidence shows it will save police time and hold dangerous drivers to account. The decision is a no brainer and we hope the government will work with Police Scotland to make our roads safer as soon as possible.

“Introducing this new system would be a signal of intent from both the government and Police Scotland on making good on the Vision Zero target,” he added.

“Road crime is real crime – the submission of video evidence will help ensure it is dealt with appropriately, while also freeing up valuable police time to deal with other serious crimes.”

AA president, Edmund King, commented: “There is now evidence that the majority of road-users, including drivers, and a major coalition of road and safety groups support a camera footage reporting system to make the roads safer in Scotland.

“AA members have been supportive of our ‘ThinkBikes!’ sticker campaign for some years and this initiative, targeted at dangerous drivers and riders, can further improve road safety for all.”

Police Scotland regularly carry out operations targeting drivers who overtake cyclists too closely, with the latest happening just yesterday in the Leith area of Edinburgh and resulting in six motorists being stopped and spoken to after making close passes on a plain clothes police officer on a bike and given advice on how to overtake safely in future.

https://road.cc/content/news/three-five-scots-want-police-video-reporting-system-285749

Re: Massive public support in Scotland for police to bring in video reporting system to catch dangerous drivers

<io9udkFeqecU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2255&group=uk.rec.cycling#2255

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Massive public support in Scotland for police to bring in video
reporting system to catch dangerous drivers
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:01:08 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:01 UTC

> [...]
>
> AA president, Edmund King, commented: “There is now evidence that the majority of road-users, including drivers, and a major coalition of road and safety groups support a camera footage reporting system to make the roads safer in Scotland.
>
> “AA members have been supportive of our ‘ThinkBikes!’ sticker campaign for some years and this initiative, targeted at dangerous drivers and riders, can further improve road safety for all.”
>
> Police Scotland regularly carry out operations targeting drivers who overtake fairy-cyclists too closely, with the latest happening just yesterday in the Leith area of Edinburgh and resulting in six motorists being stopped and spoken to after making close passes on a plain clothes police officer on a fairy-bike and given advice on how to overtake safely in future.

What a turn-up!

Who would ever have *expected* a "poll" conducted by Fairy-Cycling UK
(whatever it may be) to give a such result?

[Yes, sarcasm.]

Re: Massive public support in Scotland for police to bring in video reporting system to catch dangerous drivers

<op.08fk3ucamvhs6z@ryzen.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2259&group=uk.rec.cycling#2259

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
reporting system to catch dangerous drivers
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:53:44 +0100
 by: Commander Kinsey - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:53 UTC

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:01:08 +0100, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> “AA members have been supportive of our ‘ThinkBikes!’ sticker campaign for some years and this initiative, targeted at dangerous drivers and riders, can further improve road safety for all.”
>>
>> Police Scotland regularly carry out operations targeting drivers who overtake fairy-cyclists too closely, with the latest happening just yesterday in the Leith area of Edinburgh and resulting in six motorists being stopped and spoken to after making close passes on a plain clothes police officer on a fairy-bike and given advice on how to overtake safely in future.
>>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/three-five-scots-want-police-video-reporting-system-285749
>
> What a turn-up!
>
> Who would ever have *expected* a "poll" conducted by Fairy-Cycling UK
> (whatever it may be) to give a such result?

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Re: Massive public support in Scotland for police to bring in video reporting system to catch dangerous drivers

<a4277dc6-e303-4a0b-9955-30bb42a03bc9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2267&group=uk.rec.cycling#2267

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:32 UTC

On Friday, August 20, 2021 at 3:27:18 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

Velo-drone | 130 posts | 23 hours ago
1 like

This would be good.

But multiple sources confirm that it is established practice for Police Scotland to demand two sources of evidence before they will even contemplate investigating careless/ dangerous driving incidents - and that they will insist that an officer must interview the 'witness' (i.e. the victim of the dangerous driving) in person, regardless of if that person e.g. does not live in Scotland and therefore it is not practicable to send an officer to them..

The real issue therefore is the need to shift the operational approach from one of taking every effort possible to avoid investigating such incidents to begin with, to one where they start from an assessment of the risk of harm, and in cases where this is high that they work from the basis of the minimum they need to pursue enforcement action.

Log in or register to post comments

wtjs replied to Velo-drone | 1097 posts | 21 hours ago
1 like

it is established practice for Police Scotland to demand two sources of evidence before they will even contemplate investigating careless/ dangerous driving incidents

All of these police dodges are designed to do exactly what you think they're designed to do: to make it as difficult as possible for people to make complaints. They long for the good old days when they could just issue the curled lip sneer: if only we had some evidence, sir, it's your word against his. Now, we have the indisputable evidence, they have to disparage it: we need 2 minutes before and after; we need video from the offending vehicle (dodge verified only from Lancashire so far); we need rear facing footage as well... eventually they'll try to demand overhead drone video as well. The aim is: no cyclist blood on the road=no offence; cyclist dead or seriously injured=insufficient evidence and the driver said the cyclist just leapt out into the middle of the road for no reason