Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 08:12:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Darren Stevens: 'It's gut-wrenching... wish I could carry on at Kent'
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 15:12 UTC

Note: All rather sad . Stevens has the perennial problem of the professional sportsman, namely, an answer to the question "what do I do now. .". RH

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/09/16/darren-stevens-gut-wrenching-wish-could-carry-kent/
By
Tim Wigmore
16 September 2022 • 1:56pm
Darren Stevens of Kent poses for a photo in their LV= Insurance County Championship kit during the Kent County Cricket Club Photocall at The Spitfire Ground on March 28, 2022 in Canterbury, England
Since his 34th birthday in 2010, Stevens (now 46) has scored over 8,000 first-class runs at 36.6 and has taken 525 wickets at 23 CREDIT: James Chance/Getty Images

“That’s just called being old mate,” laughs Darren Stevens about his status as a county cricket cult hero. “Being old and still trying to do my job.”

Aged 46, Stevens is still doing it well enough that he is preparing for Saturday’s Royal London One-Day Cup final: the fifth one-day final of his remarkable career. “Thankfully it’s not at Lord's because I’ve lost all four there.”

Kent’s appearance at Trent Bridge, where the Royal London One-Day Cup final is now staged, owes much to Stevens. In the quarter-final, he smote 41 from 24 balls against Leicestershire and then conceded just 37 from his 10 overs as Kent defended 325. Yet it was just a gentle prelude to Stevens’ performance in the semi-final against Hampshire at the Ageas Bowl. In pursuit of 311 - and after Stevens had again been Kent’s most parsimonious bowler - Kent were 176-4 when he arrived at the crease, which soon became a precarious 181-5.

As Stevens took 10 balls to get off the mark, it threatened to become a reminder of that eternal truth: sport is far too cutthroat to have time for storybook endings. Except romance won out this time. Stevens overcame his uncertain start, found the rhythm of the surface and sealed Kent’s victory by scoring 15 off five balls in the 49th over, taking them to the final with a slog-swept six and cover driven four in consecutive deliveries off Scott Currie.

Read more at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/09/16/darren-stevens-gut-wrenching-wish-could-carry-kent/

RH