So many beautiful women and so little time. -- John Barrymore

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Winter Hill

SubjectAuthor
* Winter HillKevin H
+* Re: Winter HillNY
  `- Re: Winter HillIan Jackson

Pages:12
Winter Hill

<57b02de1-de0a-4e5a-899e-fc9c9a2c9ae6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22695&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22695

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 05:38:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Winter Hill
From: kev.holo...@gmail.com (Kevin H)
 by: Kevin H - Wed, 19 May 2021 12:38 UTC

For anybody who might not have seen this (tweet from BBC North West with some video of the Winter Hill transmitter).

Not very long but long enough to realise that isn't a job for me

https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1394968656329777153

Re: Winter Hill

<s83262$fjo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22696&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22696

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Winter Hill
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 14:00:04 +0100
 by: NY - Wed, 19 May 2021 13:00 UTC

"Kevin H" <kev.holohan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> For anybody who might not have seen this (tweet from BBC North West with
> some video of the Winter Hill transmitter).
>
> Not very long but long enough to realise that isn't a job for me
>
> https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1394968656329777153

I suppose all you can say is that it's easier and cheaper to maintain a
transmitter such as Winter Hill than it is to maintain a satellite ;-)

But you wouldn't get me up there. I had collywobbles when I climbed onto the
roof of our single-storey garage to inspect the state of the lead flashing
in the valley where two roofs met - the roofer who was going to do the work
wanted to show me. I was fine going up onto the roof, but there was the
horrible thought when I turned round to go back "how am I going to get to
the ladder and then turn round onto the ladder?". I sort of bottom-walked it
to the edge and then turned over onto my belly with my legs near the ladder.
Not very elegant - but I did it. But you wouldn't get me doing any job that
required me to work at height - and certainly not at Winter Hill / Emley
Moor height.

Re: Winter Hill

<s83cir$1r1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22699&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22699

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 16:58:18 +0100
 by: Woody - Wed, 19 May 2021 15:58 UTC

On Wed 19/05/2021 14:00, NY wrote:
> "Kevin H" <kev.holohan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> For anybody who might not have seen this (tweet from BBC North West
>> with some video of the Winter Hill transmitter).
>>
>> Not very long but long enough to realise that isn't a job for me
>>
>> https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1394968656329777153
>
> I suppose all you can say is that it's easier and cheaper to maintain a
> transmitter such as Winter Hill than it is to maintain a satellite ;-)
>
> But you wouldn't get me up there. I had collywobbles when I climbed onto
> the roof of our single-storey garage to inspect the state of the lead
> flashing in the valley where two roofs met - the roofer who was going to
> do the work wanted to show me. I was fine going up onto the roof, but
> there was the horrible thought when I turned round to go back "how am I
> going to get to the ladder and then turn round onto the ladder?". I sort
> of bottom-walked it to the edge and then turned over onto my belly with
> my legs near the ladder. Not very elegant - but I did it. But you
> wouldn't get me doing any job that required me to work at height - and
> certainly not at Winter Hill / Emley Moor height.

Strange. When we had to install a length of LDF? (minimum bending radius
2.5m!) in the late 70's there was a lift inside the tube that went up to
IMSMC about 800ft, then it was a climb. However the lift had a fault as
on one occasion it dropped about 30ft from its bottom rest point onto
the buffers with three people in it one of whom was seriously injured. I
have a recollection that something similar happened at another site -
Belmont? - and there were injuries there as well if not a fatality, so
it may have been removed.

Per Emley, there are two lifts inside the tower so you don't even need
to know you are at height - until that is you exit from the core into
the Tower Room at 900ft which has windows about 8ft high all the way
round (they are thick polycarbonate) which gives fantastic views. One
interesting point - as is also noticeable on the video - is that until
you are looking at the ground quite some distance away it is almost
impossible to work out the surrounding terrain even if you know what is
where. The lift takes about 7½ minutes from bottom to top - one of my
colleagues used to do the Telegraph crossword during the ride!

Re: Winter Hill

<hc4caghdb7m1psuj7cn7702t8ohhs2call@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22709&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22709

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 08:46:03 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Thu, 20 May 2021 07:46 UTC

On Wed, 19 May 2021 05:38:59 -0700 (PDT), Kevin H
<kev.holohan@gmail.com> wrote:

>For anybody who might not have seen this (tweet from BBC North West with some video of the Winter Hill transmitter).
>
>Not very long but long enough to realise that isn't a job for me
>
>https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1394968656329777153

That's the first time I've ever seen vertical video that appears to
have been shot and edited as such by the BBC themselves, complete with
BBC logo. Is this a new thing that they do for people who they think
will be watching on phones?

The last time the BBC used that aspect ratio (or close to it) was in
the days of John Logie Baird with his 30 line mechanical scanner.

Rod.

Re: Winter Hill

<3928930d-ed34-45e5-262e-eaf3a90c8cb0@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22714&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22714

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 09:47:49 +0100
 by: Robin - Thu, 20 May 2021 08:47 UTC

On 19/05/2021 16:58, Woody wrote:
> On Wed 19/05/2021 14:00, NY wrote:
>> "Kevin H" <kev.holohan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> For anybody who might not have seen this (tweet from BBC North West
>>> with some video of the Winter Hill transmitter).
>>>
>>> Not very long but long enough to realise that isn't a job for me
>>>
>>> https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1394968656329777153
>>
>> I suppose all you can say is that it's easier and cheaper to maintain
>> a transmitter such as Winter Hill than it is to maintain a satellite ;-)
>>
>> But you wouldn't get me up there. I had collywobbles when I climbed
>> onto the roof of our single-storey garage to inspect the state of the
>> lead flashing in the valley where two roofs met - the roofer who was
>> going to do the work wanted to show me. I was fine going up onto the
>> roof, but there was the horrible thought when I turned round to go
>> back "how am I going to get to the ladder and then turn round onto the
>> ladder?". I sort of bottom-walked it to the edge and then turned over
>> onto my belly with my legs near the ladder. Not very elegant - but I
>> did it. But you wouldn't get me doing any job that required me to work
>> at height - and certainly not at Winter Hill / Emley Moor height.
>

> Strange. When we had to install a length of LDF? (minimum bending radius
> 2.5m!) in the late 70's there was a lift inside the tube that went up to
> IMSMC about 800ft, then it was a climb. However the lift had a fault as
> on one occasion it dropped about 30ft from its bottom rest point onto
> the buffers with three people in it one of whom was seriously injured. I
> have a recollection that something similar happened at another site -
> Belmont? - and there were injuries there as well if not a fatality, so
> it may have been removed.
>
> Per Emley, there are two lifts inside the tower so you don't even need
> to know you are at height - until that is you exit from the core into
> the Tower Room at 900ft which has windows about 8ft high all the way
> round (they are thick polycarbonate) which gives fantastic views. One
> interesting point - as is also noticeable on the video - is that until
> you are looking at the ground quite some distance away it is almost
> impossible to work out the surrounding terrain even if you know what is
> where. The lift takes about 7½ minutes from bottom to top - one of my
> colleagues used to do the Telegraph crossword during the ride!

what are the toilet facilities: a loo at the top? take a bucket? a
(really, really long) "long drop" latrine (as in balance on the guard
rail and stick your bum out)?

--
Robin

Re: Winter Hill

<s858b6$1f77$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22716&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22716

From: MrSpook_...@dzfii2ofj3ahn18lni.net
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 08:58:14 +0000 (UTC)
 by: MrSpook_...@dzfii2ofj3ahn18lni.net - Thu, 20 May 2021 08:58 UTC

On Thu, 20 May 2021 09:47:49 +0100
Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>On 19/05/2021 16:58, Woody wrote:
>> Strange. When we had to install a length of LDF? (minimum bending radius
>> 2.5m!) in the late 70's there was a lift inside the tube that went up to
>> IMSMC about 800ft, then it was a climb. However the lift had a fault as
>> on one occasion it dropped about 30ft from its bottom rest point onto
>> the buffers with three people in it one of whom was seriously injured. I
>> have a recollection that something similar happened at another site -
>> Belmont? - and there were injuries there as well if not a fatality, so
>> it may have been removed.

Sounds like skimping on maintenance , or cheapo lifts without proper safety
systems. Also why would you have another 30 foot of shaft between the bottom
rest point and the buffers, surely you make the distance as small as
possible?

Re: Winter Hill

<igmn58Fsmp8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22718&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22718

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 10:06:48 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 20 May 2021 09:06 UTC

On 20/05/2021 08:46, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2021 05:38:59 -0700 (PDT), Kevin H
> <kev.holohan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For anybody who might not have seen this (tweet from BBC North West with some video of the Winter Hill transmitter).
>>
>> Not very long but long enough to realise that isn't a job for me
>>
>> https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1394968656329777153
> That's the first time I've ever seen vertical video that appears to
> have been shot and edited as such by the BBC themselves, complete with
> BBC logo. Is this a new thing that they do for people who they think
> will be watching on phones?
>
> The last time the BBC used that aspect ratio (or close to it) was in
> the days of John Logie Baird with his 30 line mechanical scanner.

I suppose you could argue in this case the use of vertical video was
appropriate for the subject matter !

I took the trouble to watch the report on BBC 1 North West last night,
and that was exactly the same footage, but in good old horizontal 16:9

Re: Winter Hill

<s85df3$8m0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22721&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22721

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 11:25:38 +0100
 by: Woody - Thu, 20 May 2021 10:25 UTC

On Thu 20/05/2021 09:47, Robin wrote:
> On 19/05/2021 16:58, Woody wrote:
>> On Wed 19/05/2021 14:00, NY wrote:
>>> "Kevin H" <kev.holohan@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I suppose all you can say is that it's easier and cheaper to maintain
>>> a transmitter such as Winter Hill than it is to maintain a satellite ;-)
>>>
>>> But you wouldn't get me up there. I had collywobbles when I climbed
>>> onto the roof of our single-storey garage to inspect the state of the
>>> lead flashing in the valley where two roofs met - the roofer who was
>>> going to do the work wanted to show me. I was fine going up onto the
>>> roof, but there was the horrible thought when I turned round to go
>>> back "how am I going to get to the ladder and then turn round onto
>>> the ladder?". I sort of bottom-walked it to the edge and then turned
>>> over onto my belly with my legs near the ladder. Not very elegant -
>>> but I did it. But you wouldn't get me doing any job that required me
>>> to work at height - and certainly not at Winter Hill / Emley Moor
>>> height.
>>

>> Strange. When we had to install a length of LDF? (minimum bending
>> radius 2.5m!) in the late 70's there was a lift inside the tube that
>> went up to IMSMC about 800ft, then it was a climb. However the lift
>> had a fault as on one occasion it dropped about 30ft from its bottom
>> rest point onto the buffers with three people in it one of whom was
>> seriously injured. I have a recollection that something similar
>> happened at another site - Belmont? - and there were injuries there as
>> well if not a fatality, so it may have been removed.
>>
>> Per Emley, there are two lifts inside the tower so you don't even need
>> to know you are at height - until that is you exit from the core into
>> the Tower Room at 900ft which has windows about 8ft high all the way
>> round (they are thick polycarbonate) which gives fantastic views. One
>> interesting point - as is also noticeable on the video - is that until
>> you are looking at the ground quite some distance away it is almost
>> impossible to work out the surrounding terrain even if you know what
>> is where. The lift takes about 7½ minutes from bottom to top - one of
>> my colleagues used to do the Telegraph crossword during the ride!
>>

> what are the toilet facilities: a loo at the top? take a bucket? a
> (really, really long) "long drop" latrine (as in balance on the guard
> rail and stick your bum out)?

It was very rare that a visit 'up top' took much more than about an hour
(in fact taking visitors up there was usually the longest visit
especially if there were more than one liftfull (5, or 6 at a squeeze),)
so you went before going up. Riggers developed a technique of not
drinking for several hours before ascending!

Re: Winter Hill

<s85dk5$8m0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22722&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22722

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 11:28:20 +0100
 by: Woody - Thu, 20 May 2021 10:28 UTC

On Thu 20/05/2021 09:58, MrSpook_0_g@dzfii2ofj3ahn18lni.net wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2021 09:47:49 +0100
> Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>> On 19/05/2021 16:58, Woody wrote:
>>> Strange. When we had to install a length of LDF? (minimum bending radius
>>> 2.5m!) in the late 70's there was a lift inside the tube that went up to
>>> IMSMC about 800ft, then it was a climb. However the lift had a fault as
>>> on one occasion it dropped about 30ft from its bottom rest point onto
>>> the buffers with three people in it one of whom was seriously injured. I
>>> have a recollection that something similar happened at another site -
>>> Belmont? - and there were injuries there as well if not a fatality, so
>>> it may have been removed.
>
> Sounds like skimping on maintenance , or cheapo lifts without proper safety
> systems. Also why would you have another 30 foot of shaft between the bottom
> rest point and the buffers, surely you make the distance as small as
> possible?

No. The lifts were installed at erection in the late 50's and were
two-man, but in the case of WH IHAR that there were three in it. The
winding gear was below the lift plus tower ventilation so some space was
needed. I said 30ft but it may have been a bit less.

Re: Winter Hill

<FAYE3ODcwlpgFwiM@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22727&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22727

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 13:54:52 +0100
 by: Ian Jackson - Thu, 20 May 2021 12:54 UTC

In message <igmn58Fsmp8U1@mid.individual.net>, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> writes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaN2Y8GjIqA
--
Ian

Re: Winter Hill

<3eddfb1f-75c1-4ab4-89f9-91b2ee03602dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22728&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22728

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 07:22:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: kev.holo...@gmail.com (Kevin H)
 by: Kevin H - Thu, 20 May 2021 14:22 UTC

On Wednesday, 19 May 2021 at 14:00:52 UTC+1, NY wrote:

> > https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1394968656329777153
> I suppose all you can say is that it's easier and cheaper to maintain a
> transmitter such as Winter Hill than it is to maintain a satellite ;-)
>
> But you wouldn't get me up there. I had collywobbles when I climbed onto the
> roof of our single-storey garage to inspect the state of the lead flashing
> in the valley where two roofs met - the roofer who was going to do the work
> wanted to show me. I was fine going up onto the roof, but there was the
> horrible thought when I turned round to go back "how am I going to get to
> the ladder and then turn round onto the ladder?". I sort of bottom-walked it
> to the edge and then turned over onto my belly with my legs near the ladder.
> Not very elegant - but I did it. But you wouldn't get me doing any job that
> required me to work at height - and certainly not at Winter Hill / Emley
> Moor height.

This youtube video really brings on a cold sweat (tower climbers being far too casual with their safety - IMO)
https://youtu.be/2A_h2AjJaMw

Re: Winter Hill

<s85t5g$sas$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22730&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22730

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 15:53:36 +0100
 by: Woody - Thu, 20 May 2021 14:53 UTC

On Thu 20/05/2021 15:22, Kevin H wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 May 2021 at 14:00:52 UTC+1, NY wrote:
>
>>> https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1394968656329777153
>> I suppose all you can say is that it's easier and cheaper to maintain a
>> transmitter such as Winter Hill than it is to maintain a satellite ;-)
>>
>> But you wouldn't get me up there. I had collywobbles when I climbed onto the
>> roof of our single-storey garage to inspect the state of the lead flashing
>> in the valley where two roofs met - the roofer who was going to do the work
>> wanted to show me. I was fine going up onto the roof, but there was the
>> horrible thought when I turned round to go back "how am I going to get to
>> the ladder and then turn round onto the ladder?". I sort of bottom-walked it
>> to the edge and then turned over onto my belly with my legs near the ladder.
>> Not very elegant - but I did it. But you wouldn't get me doing any job that
>> required me to work at height - and certainly not at Winter Hill / Emley
>> Moor height.
>
> This youtube video really brings on a cold sweat (tower climbers being far too casual with their safety - IMO)
> https://youtu.be/2A_h2AjJaMw

Bear in mind this is in the US where H&S as we know it just doesn't
exist! I mean, just hanging you safety hook onto one of the ladder pegs
- where is the other hooked on?

The mast is a disused TV tower somewhere in the eastern states of the
US. There is another video of it but I can't find it. The climb was done
by two trainers to show how it should (!) be done.

All that way just to change a light bulb!

Re: Winter Hill

<s85ts8$1ut6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22731&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22731

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 16:05:46 +0100
 by: SH - Thu, 20 May 2021 15:05 UTC

On 20/05/2021 15:53, Woody wrote:

>>> I suppose all you can say is that it's easier and cheaper to maintain a
>>> transmitter such as Winter Hill than it is to maintain a satellite ;-)
>>>
>>> But you wouldn't get me up there. I had collywobbles when I climbed
>>> onto the
>>> roof of our single-storey garage to inspect the state of the lead
>>> flashing
>>> in the valley where two roofs met - the roofer who was going to do
>>> the work
>>> wanted to show me. I was fine going up onto the roof, but there was the
>>> horrible thought when I turned round to go back "how am I going to
>>> get to
>>> the ladder and then turn round onto the ladder?". I sort of
>>> bottom-walked it
>>> to the edge and then turned over onto my belly with my legs near the
>>> ladder.
>>> Not very elegant - but I did it. But you wouldn't get me doing any
>>> job that
>>> required me to work at height - and certainly not at Winter Hill / Emley
>>> Moor height.
>>
>> This youtube video really brings on a cold sweat (tower climbers being
>> far too casual with their safety - IMO)
>> https://youtu.be/2A_h2AjJaMw
>>

> Bear in mind this is in the US where H&S as we know it just doesn't
> exist! I mean, just hanging you safety hook onto one of the ladder pegs
> - where is the other hooked on?
>
> The mast is a disused TV tower somewhere in the eastern states of the
> US. There is another video of it but I can't find it. The climb was done
> by two trainers to show how it should (!) be done.
>
> All that way just to change a light bulb!

I would imagine in the days of LED lighting technology, the frequency of
lamp changing has dropped considerably.

I now have LED lighting internally throughout the house and I've not had
to change a LED lamp in well over 5 years now....

With incandescents, I was probably changing a bulb on average once a
fortnight

I wish I could say the same for the external LED floodlighting. I have
12 of them and I find I average replacing oen of the them every year.

S.

Re: Winter Hill

<s860de$mr6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22735&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22735

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 16:49:01 +0100
 by: Woody - Thu, 20 May 2021 15:49 UTC

On Thu 20/05/2021 16:05, SH wrote:
> On 20/05/2021 15:53, Woody wrote:

>>> This youtube video really brings on a cold sweat (tower climbers
>>> being far too casual with their safety - IMO)
>>> https://youtu.be/2A_h2AjJaMw
>>>

>> Bear in mind this is in the US where H&S as we know it just doesn't
>> exist! I mean, just hanging you safety hook onto one of the ladder
>> pegs - where is the other hooked on?
>>
>> The mast is a disused TV tower somewhere in the eastern states of the
>> US. There is another video of it but I can't find it. The climb was
>> done by two trainers to show how it should (!) be done.
>>
>> All that way just to change a light bulb!
>

> I would imagine in the days of LED lighting technology, the frequency of
> lamp changing has dropped considerably.
>
> I now have LED lighting internally throughout the house and I've not had
> to change a LED lamp in well over 5 years now....
>
> With incandescents, I was probably changing a bulb on average once a
> fortnight
>
> I wish I could say the same for the external LED floodlighting. I have
> 12 of them and I find I average replacing oen of the them every year.
>
> S.

Buy a decent make. Ledvance by Osram available from CPC are superb. I've
had a 50W on my back garden light and two 20W on the side and front of
the house for about four years the latter comes on several times each
evening (legitimately) and I've never had a problem. I have used warm
white as I have other incandescent external lights so I need a colour match.

Re: Winter Hill

<s865nf$vuo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22738&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22738

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 18:19:42 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 20 May 2021 17:19 UTC

"SH" <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> I would imagine in the days of LED lighting technology, the frequency of
> lamp changing has dropped considerably.
>
> I now have LED lighting internally throughout the house and I've not had
> to change a LED lamp in well over 5 years now....

Our house had LED GU10s in the kitchen when we bought it. Over the past 6
months almost every one of the existing GU10s has failed, one by one. In
some cases the cylindrical shaft of the GU10 has sheared off the conical
reflector, leaving the two connected only by the wires from control
circuitry to LEDs. I've replaced all those bulbs with new ones which I'm
hoping will last a long time. The few old ones that still work are now used
in locations where it will be easy to swap them if (when?) they fail.

I don't know how old those original GU10s were. Other bulbs that we have
bought have lasted for at least 2 years - and in the case of all our Philips
Hue bulbs, about 8 years. Hopefully they will last for many more years.

I think the only tungsten bulbs in our house now are some ceiling lights in
one of the bathrooms which are 12V fed by transformer, in fittings with
little plastic shades which I've not managed to dismantle to change them to
mains-fed GU10 and hence to LED. Hopefully the bathroom lights are not on
for so long that they will use *too* much extra electricity.

Incidentally, I had a bizarre RFI problem with one of the LED bulbs. I
noticed that BBC1/2 on terrestrial TV started experiencing lots of errors at
night. It took me longer than it should have done to correlate this with
times when the GU10s in my study (directly below the TV aerial) were turned
on. Once I'd made that link it was a case of removing each of 6 GU10s in
turn, while watching for DVB-T errors. And I found that one rogue bulb was
(apparently) kicking out lots of RFI that clobbers Belmont's PSB1 multiplex,
while not affecting any of the other muxes to any noticeable extent. That
bulb (which still works perfectly well) has now been relocated to the other
end of the house where its RFI can't be picked up by the TV aerial - I did
check with our neighbour (who sold TVs before he retired so knows about
multiplexes and RFI) to make sure the bulb in its new location didn't affect
him.

Re: Winter Hill

<s87n4k$k3b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22741&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22741

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 08:22:55 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 21 May 2021 07:22 UTC

This morning I would imagine it would be pretty wild up one of those masts,
Wenvoe maybe? 70mph winds at least.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Wed 19/05/2021 14:00, NY wrote:
>> "Kevin H" <kev.holohan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> For anybody who might not have seen this (tweet from BBC North West with
>>> some video of the Winter Hill transmitter).
>>>
>>> Not very long but long enough to realise that isn't a job for me
>>>
>>> https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1394968656329777153
>>
>> I suppose all you can say is that it's easier and cheaper to maintain a
>> transmitter such as Winter Hill than it is to maintain a satellite ;-)
>>
>> But you wouldn't get me up there. I had collywobbles when I climbed onto
>> the roof of our single-storey garage to inspect the state of the lead
>> flashing in the valley where two roofs met - the roofer who was going to
>> do the work wanted to show me. I was fine going up onto the roof, but
>> there was the horrible thought when I turned round to go back "how am I
>> going to get to the ladder and then turn round onto the ladder?". I sort
>> of bottom-walked it to the edge and then turned over onto my belly with
>> my legs near the ladder. Not very elegant - but I did it. But you
>> wouldn't get me doing any job that required me to work at height - and
>> certainly not at Winter Hill / Emley Moor height.
>

> Strange. When we had to install a length of LDF? (minimum bending radius
> 2.5m!) in the late 70's there was a lift inside the tube that went up to
> IMSMC about 800ft, then it was a climb. However the lift had a fault as on
> one occasion it dropped about 30ft from its bottom rest point onto the
> buffers with three people in it one of whom was seriously injured. I have
> a recollection that something similar happened at another site -
> Belmont? - and there were injuries there as well if not a fatality, so it
> may have been removed.
>
> Per Emley, there are two lifts inside the tower so you don't even need to
> know you are at height - until that is you exit from the core into the
> Tower Room at 900ft which has windows about 8ft high all the way round
> (they are thick polycarbonate) which gives fantastic views. One
> interesting point - as is also noticeable on the video - is that until you
> are looking at the ground quite some distance away it is almost impossible
> to work out the surrounding terrain even if you know what is where. The
> lift takes about 7� minutes from bottom to top - one of my colleagues used
> to do the Telegraph crossword during the ride!

Re: Winter Hill

<s87ndp$lha$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22742&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22742

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 08:27:48 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 21 May 2021 07:27 UTC

Ooer...
Actually I was in a lift at my place of work when it malfunctioned at the
ground floor and dropped just ten feet to a big sprung platform a t the
bottom. That was not very pleasant, so I'd imagine a longer drop would be
bound to injure those inside. Of course when the cage or cabin is further
up, a friction brake is used so you do not get a jolt.

"Robin" <rbw@outlook.com> wrote in message
> On 19/05/2021 16:58, Woody wrote:
>> On Wed 19/05/2021 14:00, NY wrote:
>>> "Kevin H" <kev.holohan@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I suppose all you can say is that it's easier and cheaper to maintain a
>>> transmitter such as Winter Hill than it is to maintain a satellite ;-)
>>>
>>> But you wouldn't get me up there. I had collywobbles when I climbed onto
>>> the roof of our single-storey garage to inspect the state of the lead
>>> flashing in the valley where two roofs met - the roofer who was going to
>>> do the work wanted to show me. I was fine going up onto the roof, but
>>> there was the horrible thought when I turned round to go back "how am I
>>> going to get to the ladder and then turn round onto the ladder?". I sort
>>> of bottom-walked it to the edge and then turned over onto my belly with
>>> my legs near the ladder. Not very elegant - but I did it. But you
>>> wouldn't get me doing any job that required me to work at height - and
>>> certainly not at Winter Hill / Emley Moor height.
>>

>> Strange. When we had to install a length of LDF? (minimum bending radius
>> 2.5m!) in the late 70's there was a lift inside the tube that went up to
>> IMSMC about 800ft, then it was a climb. However the lift had a fault as
>> on one occasion it dropped about 30ft from its bottom rest point onto the
>> buffers with three people in it one of whom was seriously injured. I have
>> a recollection that something similar happened at another site -
>> Belmont? - and there were injuries there as well if not a fatality, so it
>> may have been removed.
>>
>> Per Emley, there are two lifts inside the tower so you don't even need to
>> know you are at height - until that is you exit from the core into the
>> Tower Room at 900ft which has windows about 8ft high all the way round
>> (they are thick polycarbonate) which gives fantastic views. One
>> interesting point - as is also noticeable on the video - is that until
>> you are looking at the ground quite some distance away it is almost
>> impossible to work out the surrounding terrain even if you know what is
>> where. The lift takes about 7� minutes from bottom to top - one of my
>> colleagues used to do the Telegraph crossword during the ride!
>>

> what are the toilet facilities: a loo at the top? take a bucket? a
> (really, really long) "long drop" latrine (as in balance on the guard rail
> and stick your bum out)?
>
> --
> Robin
> reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

Re: Winter Hill

<s87nh2$m43$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22743&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22743

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 08:29:33 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 21 May 2021 07:29 UTC

You would think that, but often lifts come with standard parts, and I'd have
thought in 30ft, the friction brake should have slowed it down before it hit
the bottom.

<MrSpook_0_g@dzfii2ofj3ahn18lni.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 May 2021 09:47:49 +0100
> Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>>On 19/05/2021 16:58, Woody wrote:
>>> Strange. When we had to install a length of LDF? (minimum bending radius
>>> 2.5m!) in the late 70's there was a lift inside the tube that went up to
>>> IMSMC about 800ft, then it was a climb. However the lift had a fault as
>>> on one occasion it dropped about 30ft from its bottom rest point onto
>>> the buffers with three people in it one of whom was seriously injured. I
>>> have a recollection that something similar happened at another site -
>>> Belmont? - and there were injuries there as well if not a fatality, so
>>> it may have been removed.
>
> Sounds like skimping on maintenance , or cheapo lifts without proper
> safety
> systems. Also why would you have another 30 foot of shaft between the
> bottom
> rest point and the buffers, surely you make the distance as small as
> possible?

Re: Winter Hill

<igp665FcukoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22745&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22745

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 08:35:33 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 21 May 2021 07:35 UTC

On 21/05/2021 08:22, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> This morning I would imagine it would be pretty wild up one of those masts,
> Wenvoe maybe? 70mph winds at least.
Windspeeds often increase significantly with height. I've been on the
roofs of 20 storey buildings in calm conditions at ground level, and
almost been blown off my feet

Re: Winter Hill

<igpno0Fgam9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22747&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22747

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 13:35:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 21 May 2021 12:35 UTC

Robin wrote:

> what are the toilet facilities:

The fred dibnah option, or the lisa nowak option ...

Re: Winter Hill

<igq91rFjedaU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22753&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22753

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 18:30:35 +0100
 by: williamwright - Fri, 21 May 2021 17:30 UTC

On 21/05/2021 08:35, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 21/05/2021 08:22, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> This morning I would imagine it would be pretty wild up one of those
>> masts,
>> Wenvoe maybe? 70mph winds at least.
> Windspeeds often increase significantly with height. I've been on the
> roofs of 20 storey buildings in calm conditions at ground level, and
> almost been blown off my feet

Yes, I've had that experience. You go out through the door in the top
floor plant room and you can be taken by surprise!

Bill

Re: Winter Hill

<s8g5b8$afj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22831&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22831

From: fbx...@youlden.co.uk (Chris Youlden)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 13:14:32 +0100
 by: Chris Youlden - Mon, 24 May 2021 12:14 UTC

On 20/05/2021 16:05, SH wrote:

> I would imagine in the days of LED lighting technology, the frequency of
> lamp changing has dropped considerably.
>
> I now have LED lighting internally throughout the house and I've not had
> to change a LED lamp in well over 5 years now....
>
> With incandescents, I was probably changing a bulb on average once a
> fortnight
>
> I wish I could say the same for the external LED floodlighting. I have
> 12 of them and I find I average replacing oen of the them every year.
>
> S.

Is there any data on the longevity of led 'bulbs'?
--

Chris

Re: Winter Hill

<1djnagt2bq1892g9fj23cv4jbjnfi23uho@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22840&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22840

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 17:03:17 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Mon, 24 May 2021 16:03 UTC

On Mon, 24 May 2021 13:14:32 +0100, Chris Youlden <fbx@youlden.co.uk>
wrote:

>Is there any data on the longevity of led 'bulbs'?

My own experience so far suggests that it's about the same as for any
kind of bulb, or for electronics in general. Some will pop straight
away and some will last for years.

Rod.

Re: Winter Hill

<s8jnl3$li8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22873&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22873

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 21:45:23 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 25 May 2021 20:45 UTC

On 24/05/2021 13:14, Chris Youlden wrote:
> On 20/05/2021 16:05, SH wrote:
>>
>> I would imagine in the days of LED lighting technology, the frequency
>> of lamp changing has dropped considerably.
>>
>> I now have LED lighting internally throughout the house and I've not
>> had to change a LED lamp in well over 5 years now....
>>
>> With incandescents, I was probably changing a bulb on average once a
>> fortnight
>>
>> I wish I could say the same for the external LED floodlighting. I have
>> 12 of them and I find I average replacing oen of the them every year.
>>
>> S.
>

> Is there any data on the longevity of led 'bulbs'?

I've seen LED bulbs pop quite quickly. It's normally cheap capacitors.

It also occurred to me the other day that the LEDs in my bedside clock
radio have been running pretty much continuously for well over 10 years
- and presumably the capacitors in _that_ PSU are rated correctly too.

Andy

Re: Winter Hill

<sr3sagtbmiqso5m23990lccd1v2matvkd9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22887&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22887

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 10:08:24 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Wed, 26 May 2021 09:08 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 21:45:23 +0100, Vir Campestris
<vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 24/05/2021 13:14, Chris Youlden wrote:
>> On 20/05/2021 16:05, SH wrote:
>>>
>>> I would imagine in the days of LED lighting technology, the frequency
>>> of lamp changing has dropped considerably.
>>>
>>> I now have LED lighting internally throughout the house and I've not
>>> had to change a LED lamp in well over 5 years now....
>>>
>>> With incandescents, I was probably changing a bulb on average once a
>>> fortnight
>>>
>>> I wish I could say the same for the external LED floodlighting. I have
>>> 12 of them and I find I average replacing oen of the them every year.
>>>
>>> S.
>>

>> Is there any data on the longevity of led 'bulbs'?
>
>I've seen LED bulbs pop quite quickly. It's normally cheap capacitors.
>
>It also occurred to me the other day that the LEDs in my bedside clock
>radio have been running pretty much continuously for well over 10 years
>- and presumably the capacitors in _that_ PSU are rated correctly too.
>
>Andy

Now there's a thought. I have a bedside clock with red LED 7 segment
numbers that I bought in 1982, still working perfectly. It looks a bit
grubby, but it tells the time.

Rod.