You are lost in the Swamps of Despair.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

SubjectAuthor
* improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
+* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?RJH
|+- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
|`* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Andy Burns
| `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
|  `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|   +* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?RJH
|   |`- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|   +* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Andy Burns
|   |`- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|   `- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
+* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Pancho
|`* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jaimie Vandenbergh
| `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Pancho
|  +* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
|  |`* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jim Jackson
|  | `- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
|  +* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Theo
|  |`* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Pancho
|  | `- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jim Jackson
|  `- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jaimie Vandenbergh
+* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Theo
|+- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|`- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
+* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Vir Campestris
|`- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Theo
+- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Chris
`* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?JoeJoe
 `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
  +* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jaimie Vandenbergh
  |`* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jaimie Vandenbergh
  | `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
  |  `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
  |   +* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jaimie Vandenbergh
  |   |+- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Adrian Caspersz
  |   |`* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
  |   | `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
  |   |  `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Theo
  |   |   `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
  |   |    `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Theo
  |   |     `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
  |   |      `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Theo
  |   |       `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
  |   |        `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
  |   |         `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
  |   |          `- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn
  |   `- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?RJH
  `* Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?Jaimie Vandenbergh
   `- Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?jkn

Pages:12
Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<slrnt8qbv1.dab.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2228&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2228

From: jj...@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 19:20:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Tue, 24 May 2022 19:20 UTC

On 2022-05-24, Pancho <Pancho.Jones@proton.me> wrote:

> I'll admit, the rPi isn't much fun, it sits in a cupboard which I rarely
> open, it's almost like it is a Google Cloud Compute engine for all the
> physical attention it gets.

I know what you mean. My little home server ...

# uptime
20:16:15 up 804 days, 22:35, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

But that's an RPI3. The upgrade to an RPI4 (upgrade network b/w, RAM and
Disk speed usb2 to usb3) is on the bench being setup.

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<44c024b1-f51d-48d9-9b33-17942c8c192bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2229&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2229

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 13:00:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Tue, 24 May 2022 20:00 UTC

On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 8:12:55 PM UTC+1, Jim Jackson wrote:
> On 2022-05-24, jkn <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Personally I would not want to go for an RPi solution as I want
> > 'proper' power and IO.
> Go on, I'll bite - what is 'proper' power and IO for you?

Basically what Theo was talking about a few posts up

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<bIGdnfeYdbQ_jw__nZ2dnUU7-e2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2231&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2231

Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 13:16:34 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Sat, 28 May 2022 12:16 UTC

On 22/05/2022 21:46, jkn wrote:
> Hi All
> This question might be better in a more dedicated forum. but I know there is
> a lot of expertise here...
>
> I have a Supermicro 2U server which I use as an (overkill) home server. It sits in
> a metal cabinet in the garage. Jaimie Vandenbergh of this borough kindly
> helped me with some RAM a also some CPU testing couple of years ago.
>
> In these days of high electricity pricing I am looking to ways of reducing its
> power consumption. It is always going to be on the high side, and I have taken
> some step already, but I'm curious about a couple of further options.
>
> The main steps I have taken from stock are:
> - using only one of the redundant PSUs (see blow)
> - although it's a 12-bay unit I am only using six of the bays. One of the reasons
> I bought the server was to consolidate my collection of hard drives; I hope to
> reduce it to five or even four soon
> - I run 'ipmitool' to run the fans at a lower speed. This is as much to keep the
> noise down as the power consumption.
> - I've just recently added disk spindown time via hdparm.
>
> With these steps, the server is currently taking something like 110W to 120W.
> I'd like to reduce it a bit more if possible.
>
> One option that occurs to me is to fit a less powerful PSU.
> I presume that (in general) models of Supermicro PSUs can be swapped
> between chassis. I have two "920W silent" PSUs; ignoring the redundancy,
> either one of which is clearly overkill for my needs.
>
> I don't know how much of my 120W is wasted by the PSU. If I were to be
> able to find a (say) 500W PSU which would fit etc, any idea of the likely
> reduction in power consumption this might give me?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts
> Jon N

What about putting it to sleep and using wake-on-LAN?

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<6ff63212-a9c0-43ab-aa41-8586b80f1f36n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2232&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2232

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 10:18:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Sat, 28 May 2022 17:18 UTC

On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 1:16:40 PM UTC+1, JoeJoe wrote:
> On 22/05/2022 21:46, jkn wrote:
> > Hi All
> > This question might be better in a more dedicated forum. but I know there is
> > a lot of expertise here...
> >
> > I have a Supermicro 2U server which I use as an (overkill) home server. It sits in
> > a metal cabinet in the garage. Jaimie Vandenbergh of this borough kindly
> > helped me with some RAM a also some CPU testing couple of years ago.
> >
> > In these days of high electricity pricing I am looking to ways of reducing its
> > power consumption. It is always going to be on the high side, and I have taken
> > some step already, but I'm curious about a couple of further options.
> >
> > The main steps I have taken from stock are:
> > - using only one of the redundant PSUs (see blow)
> > - although it's a 12-bay unit I am only using six of the bays. One of the reasons
> > I bought the server was to consolidate my collection of hard drives; I hope to
> > reduce it to five or even four soon
> > - I run 'ipmitool' to run the fans at a lower speed. This is as much to keep the
> > noise down as the power consumption.
> > - I've just recently added disk spindown time via hdparm.
> >
> > With these steps, the server is currently taking something like 110W to 120W.
> > I'd like to reduce it a bit more if possible.
> >
> > One option that occurs to me is to fit a less powerful PSU.
> > I presume that (in general) models of Supermicro PSUs can be swapped
> > between chassis. I have two "920W silent" PSUs; ignoring the redundancy,
> > either one of which is clearly overkill for my needs.
> >
> > I don't know how much of my 120W is wasted by the PSU. If I were to be
> > able to find a (say) 500W PSU which would fit etc, any idea of the likely
> > reduction in power consumption this might give me?
> >
> > Thanks for any thoughts
> > Jon N
> What about putting it to sleep and using wake-on-LAN?

For several reasons I am not doing this:

- Servers like this don't seem to operate on Wake-on-Lan. Their normal mode
is to be on 24/7
- There are times when I want it to be on overnight, for download purposes etc.
- As mentioned, I have Logitech Media Server running, and I want this to be
available first thing when I get up in the morning.

As it turns out I have been experimenting with this anyway.

- wake-on-lan doesn't seem to be available; in any case I have fitted a dual
port Ethernet card to this (ironically, to save power, by not using the on-board
10GB ethernet ports!) and WOL is not available via the port cards

- however I have refitted an RJ45 cable to the Server's BMC, and can confirm that
I can use this to power the server on and off.

So my current plan is two-fold:
a) automate the use of this to remotely power on and off via the BMC. I am hoping
to be able to script this; currently looking at an ssh error:
no matching key exchange method found ...
b) I am going to move the LMS to a small indoor machine, currently running PiHole
and some other things, so I can leave that on 24/7

Hopefully this will save a few bob ... isn't life fun...

J^n

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<jffejrF305vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2233&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2233

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 May 2022 20:22:19 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sat, 28 May 2022 20:22 UTC

On 28 May 2022 at 18:18:23 BST, "jkn" <jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> - wake-on-lan doesn't seem to be available; in any case I have fitted a dual
> port Ethernet card to this (ironically, to save power, by not using the on-board
> 10GB ethernet ports!) and WOL is not available via the port cards

Out of interest, did you measure server power consumption with 10gigE
ports in use but connected to 1gigE switch? Just thinking that may use
less juive overall than using an addin card.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is
dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas A. Edison

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<jffeoeF30q5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2234&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2234

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 May 2022 20:24:46 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sat, 28 May 2022 20:24 UTC

On 28 May 2022 at 18:18:23 BST, "jkn" <jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> a) automate the use of this to remotely power on and off via the BMC. I am hoping
> to be able to script this;

Have a look at 'ipmitool' which is the usual command line method of
talking to BMC/iDrac/etc etc

/usr/local/bin/ipmitool -I lanplus -H {server_ip} -U {username} -P
{password} chassis power on

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Imagine how happy you might be if you spent less time
imagining how happy you might be.

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<jfffbtF34c3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2235&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2235

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 May 2022 20:35:09 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sat, 28 May 2022 20:35 UTC

On 28 May 2022 at 21:22:19 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 28 May 2022 at 18:18:23 BST, "jkn" <jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> - wake-on-lan doesn't seem to be available; in any case I have fitted a dual
>> port Ethernet card to this (ironically, to save power, by not using the on-board
>> 10GB ethernet ports!) and WOL is not available via the port cards
>
> Out of interest, did you measure server power consumption with 10gigE
> ports in use but connected to 1gigE switch? Just thinking that may use
> less juive overall than using an addin card.

*juice!

Cheers - Jaimie

--
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it
-- Philip K Dick

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<501a8e0b-9eb2-43bc-819c-7445f9706d82n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2236&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2236

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 14:36:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Sat, 28 May 2022 21:36 UTC

On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 9:24:48 PM UTC+1, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 28 May 2022 at 18:18:23 BST, "jkn" <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> > a) automate the use of this to remotely power on and off via the BMC. I am hoping
> > to be able to script this;
> Have a look at 'ipmitool' which is the usual command line method of
> talking to BMC/iDrac/etc etc
>
> /usr/local/bin/ipmitool -I lanplus -H {server_ip} -U {username} -P
> {password} chassis power on

Hi Jamie

As it happens, yes, I realised just after posting that ipmitool can be used
remotely with the -H etc. parameters - thanks. I've only used it on the
server to date (for reducing the fan speed)

Cheers, J^n

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<80aebdc8-0e95-47fa-a227-e35a985892b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2237&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2237

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 14:37:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Sat, 28 May 2022 21:37 UTC

On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 9:35:11 PM UTC+1, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 28 May 2022 at 21:22:19 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
> <jai...@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
> > On 28 May 2022 at 18:18:23 BST, "jkn" <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> - wake-on-lan doesn't seem to be available; in any case I have fitted a dual
> >> port Ethernet card to this (ironically, to save power, by not using the on-board
> >> 10GB ethernet ports!) and WOL is not available via the port cards
> >
> > Out of interest, did you measure server power consumption with 10gigE
> > ports in use but connected to 1gigE switch? Just thinking that may use
> > less juive overall than using an addin card.
> *juice!

That's an interesting thought ... now that I have reconnected the BMC port,
and can measure power consumption that way, it is probably worth trying.

J^n

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<c1c3679f-ad55-4dc9-9fb1-6cbf75ae56f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2238&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2238

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 04:39:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 11:39 UTC

On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:37:42 PM UTC+1, jkn wrote:
> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 9:35:11 PM UTC+1, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> > On 28 May 2022 at 21:22:19 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
> > <jai...@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> > > Out of interest, did you measure server power consumption with 10gigE
> > > ports in use but connected to 1gigE switch? Just thinking that may use
> > > less juive overall than using an addin card.
> > *juice!
> >
> That's an interesting thought ... now that I have reconnected the BMC port,
> and can measure power consumption that way, it is probably worth trying.
>
> J^n

Just to give a general update on this ...

- I have got the management port running with a separate Ethernet cable;
so I can power the server on and off remotely. This also gives me
better visibility of the current consumption
- I have added hdparm.conf spindown settings to save disk power when operating
- I have moved my logitechmediaserver installation to a smaller indoor server
(running on a Lenovo USFF unit) which can run 24/7 and not use much power.
Ironically I used to run LMS like this, but then moved it the garage for ...
complicated reasons
- So I can now only power up the garage server when I need it, and still have LMS
available all the time.

Not a very interesting way of saving power, but probably sensible. The server
seems to take about 15W even on standby, but I guess that will keep my tools dry,
and is a lot better than the 85--90W it draws on full power.

Cheers, J^n

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<jg6aa6F8roeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2239&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2239

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 6 Jun 2022 12:29:58 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 12:29 UTC

On 6 Jun 2022 at 12:39:28 BST, "jkn" <jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> Not a very interesting way of saving power, but probably sensible.

Yeah. We've managed to get the house base load down to 150W (it's mostly
Internet/wifi/smart stuff - and the fridge and freezer!) through
similarly boring methods. It did bring the power bill down from £220 to
£80 though, so good value.

> The server
> seems to take about 15W even on standby, but I guess that will keep my tools dry,
> and is a lot better than the 85--90W it draws on full power.

Hmph. Lazy designers. That'd be nearly £40/year here - maybe worth
investing in a smart plug you can power up remotely? Set the server to
auto-poweron-with-power.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
If you think it's simple, then you have misunderstood the problem
-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<t7l2pj$7kg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2240&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2240

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 14:25:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 14:25 UTC

On 6 Jun 2022 at 12:39:28 BST, "jkn" <jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:37:42 PM UTC+1, jkn wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 9:35:11 PM UTC+1, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

>>> *juice!
>>>
>> That's an interesting thought ... now that I have reconnected the BMC port,
>> and can measure power consumption that way, it is probably worth trying.
>>
>> J^n
>
> Just to give a general update on this ...
>
> - I have got the management port running with a separate Ethernet cable;
> so I can power the server on and off remotely. This also gives me
> better visibility of the current consumption
> - I have added hdparm.conf spindown settings to save disk power when operating
> - I have moved my logitechmediaserver installation to a smaller indoor server
> (running on a Lenovo USFF unit) which can run 24/7 and not use much power.
> Ironically I used to run LMS like this, but then moved it the garage for ...
> complicated reasons
> - So I can now only power up the garage server when I need it, and still have
> LMS
> available all the time.
>
> Not a very interesting way of saving power, but probably sensible. The server
> seems to take about 15W even on standby, but I guess that will keep my tools
> dry,
> and is a lot better than the 85--90W it draws on full power.

Is that with the wake-on LAN (WoL)? I've not thought to check my Synology but
I'd thought/hoped it'd be a lot less than 15W . . .

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<jg6t31Fbvn3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2241&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2241

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 18:50:24 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 17:50 UTC

On 06/06/2022 13:29, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> The server
>> seems to take about 15W even on standby, but I guess that will keep my tools dry,
>> and is a lot better than the 85--90W it draws on full power.
>
> Hmph. Lazy designers. That'd be nearly £40/year here - maybe worth
> investing in a smart plug you can power up remotely? Set the server to
> auto-poweron-with-power.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

I've got a very old HP DL385 G5 that I no longer use, as it's a monster
swallowing 100W on one PSU (rating 1kW) just keeping the iLO subsystem
running(!), that waiting for a Wake-On-Lan packet to start the main
board. Was useful back in the day I needed something with 32GB of memory
to run SCCM on Server 2012R2.

I even tried a smart plug to kill power to the whole thing, but on
starting it that way I had problems with excess humidity and wireless
strength for the almost outside location it was installed in.

Time to get rid.

Seems half of the heavy junk I collect could be held responsible for an
eccentric wobble the world suffers each 24hours of rotation...

--
Adrian C

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<b80daef5-d132-4bbc-965c-07768274b705n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2242&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2242

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 00:54:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 07:54 UTC

On Monday, June 6, 2022 at 1:30:01 PM UTC+1, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 6 Jun 2022 at 12:39:28 BST, "jkn" <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Not a very interesting way of saving power, but probably sensible.
> Yeah. We've managed to get the house base load down to 150W (it's mostly
> Internet/wifi/smart stuff - and the fridge and freezer!) through
> similarly boring methods. It did bring the power bill down from £220 to
> £80 though, so good value.
> > The server
> > seems to take about 15W even on standby, but I guess that will keep my tools dry,
> > and is a lot better than the 85--90W it draws on full power.
> Hmph. Lazy designers. That'd be nearly £40/year here - maybe worth
> investing in a smart plug you can power up remotely? Set the server to
> auto-poweron-with-power.

Yes, that's a thought ... the wifi doesn't get to the garage, I'd have to find
a wired one of some sort. I'm a bit out of touch with what is available, I'll
take a look.

J^n

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<f027e3ac-600c-4805-b636-a0edfb064b1an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2244&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2244

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 06:08:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 13:08 UTC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 8:54:22 AM UTC+1, jkn wrote:
> On Monday, June 6, 2022 at 1:30:01 PM UTC+1, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> > On 6 Jun 2022 at 12:39:28 BST, "jkn" <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Not a very interesting way of saving power, but probably sensible.
> > Yeah. We've managed to get the house base load down to 150W (it's mostly
> > Internet/wifi/smart stuff - and the fridge and freezer!) through
> > similarly boring methods. It did bring the power bill down from £220 to
> > £80 though, so good value.
> > > The server
> > > seems to take about 15W even on standby, but I guess that will keep my tools dry,
> > > and is a lot better than the 85--90W it draws on full power.
> > Hmph. Lazy designers. That'd be nearly £40/year here - maybe worth
> > investing in a smart plug you can power up remotely? Set the server to
> > auto-poweron-with-power.
> Yes, that's a thought ... the wifi doesn't get to the garage, I'd have to find
> a wired one of some sort. I'm a bit out of touch with what is available, I'll
> take a look.
>
> J^n
Hmm - most of the "switch mains power via LAN/Ethernet" units that I can find are
either:

- no longer available
- an unhoused PCB that I would need to case up, and provide a Power Supply for
- very expensive

Any cheaper housed units that people might be able to point me at?

Thanks, J^n

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<RTF*PV9Py@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2253&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2253

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 07 Jun 2022 16:32:55 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 15:32 UTC

jkn <jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> Hmm - most of the "switch mains power via LAN/Ethernet" units that I can
> find are either:
>
> - no longer available
> - an unhoused PCB that I would need to case up, and provide a Power Supply
> - for very expensive
>
> Any cheaper housed units that people might be able to point me at?

Do you need wired? If wifi is OK, these:
https://templates.blakadder.com/uk.html
have an ESP8266 inside that can be reflashed with alternative firmware
(eg Tasmota, ESPHome). Tasmota makes them have a web interface on your LAN,
or they accept MQTT.

I have a small fleet of these:
https://templates.blakadder.com/maxcio_W-UK007S.html
but note that some versions are coming with updated firmware that prevents
OTA reflashing.

(making a wifi/zigbee/bluetooth unit is a lot easier as you don't need to
worry about isolation between mains and ethernet)

Theo

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<87e1f2c2-7170-45d5-bf32-c56d2457d53dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2262&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2262

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 10:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 17:31 UTC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 4:34:29 PM UTC+1, Theo wrote:
> jkn <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hmm - most of the "switch mains power via LAN/Ethernet" units that I can
> > find are either:
> >
> > - no longer available
> > - an unhoused PCB that I would need to case up, and provide a Power Supply
> > - for very expensive
> >
> > Any cheaper housed units that people might be able to point me at?
> Do you need wired? If wifi is OK, these:
> https://templates.blakadder.com/uk.html
> have an ESP8266 inside that can be reflashed with alternative firmware
> (eg Tasmota, ESPHome). Tasmota makes them have a web interface on your LAN,
> or they accept MQTT.
>
> I have a small fleet of these:
> https://templates.blakadder.com/maxcio_W-UK007S.html
> but note that some versions are coming with updated firmware that prevents
> OTA reflashing.
>
> (making a wifi/zigbee/bluetooth unit is a lot easier as you don't need to
> worry about isolation between mains and ethernet)
>
> Theo
Hi Theo
yes, I need wired, it is to the garage and I don't think the Wifi gets that far.
I have a couple of Tasmoto-firmware 'power plugs' I'd use otherwise.

Regards, J^n

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<OTF*c0+Py@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2267&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2267

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 07 Jun 2022 21:24:40 +0100 (BST)
References: <2cda1d04-9012-4525-8c59-1f6e9614182bn@googlegroups.com> <jfffbtF34c3U1@mid.individual.net> <80aebdc8-0e95-47fa-a227-e35a985892b9n@googlegroups.com> <c1c3679f-ad55-4dc9-9fb1-6cbf75ae56f3n@googlegroups.com> <jg6aa6F8roeU1@mid.individual.net> <b80daef5-d132-4bbc-965c-07768274b705n@googlegroups.com> <f027e3ac-600c-4805-b636-a0edfb064b1an@googlegroups.com> <RTF*PV9Py@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <87e1f2c2-7170-45d5-bf32-c56d2457d53dn@googlegroups.com>
 by: Theo - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 20:24 UTC

jkn <jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Theo
> yes, I need wired, it is to the garage and I don't think the Wifi gets that far.
> I have a couple of Tasmoto-firmware 'power plugs' I'd use otherwise.

Could you run a mini access point just for the plugs? Use an old router for
the purpose? Doesn't need to be on the same SSID as the rest.

Theo

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<af4437ae-fb18-42ef-83c5-18d08e4d8360n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2268&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2268

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 13:52:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 20:52 UTC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 9:24:43 PM UTC+1, Theo wrote:
> jkn <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi Theo
> > yes, I need wired, it is to the garage and I don't think the Wifi gets that far.
> > I have a couple of Tasmoto-firmware 'power plugs' I'd use otherwise.
> Could you run a mini access point just for the plugs? Use an old router for
> the purpose? Doesn't need to be on the same SSID as the rest.

I had thought of that ... but since I am trying to minimise power consumption,
it feels a bit retrograde...

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<PTF*rXbQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2269&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2269

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 08 Jun 2022 10:52:05 +0100 (BST)
References: <2cda1d04-9012-4525-8c59-1f6e9614182bn@googlegroups.com> <jfffbtF34c3U1@mid.individual.net> <80aebdc8-0e95-47fa-a227-e35a985892b9n@googlegroups.com> <c1c3679f-ad55-4dc9-9fb1-6cbf75ae56f3n@googlegroups.com> <jg6aa6F8roeU1@mid.individual.net> <b80daef5-d132-4bbc-965c-07768274b705n@googlegroups.com> <f027e3ac-600c-4805-b636-a0edfb064b1an@googlegroups.com> <RTF*PV9Py@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <87e1f2c2-7170-45d5-bf32-c56d2457d53dn@googlegroups.com> <OTF*c0+Py@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <af4437ae-fb18-42ef-83c5-18d08e4d8360n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Theo - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 09:52 UTC

jkn <jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 9:24:43 PM UTC+1, Theo wrote:
> > jkn <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Hi Theo
> > > yes, I need wired, it is to the garage and I don't think the Wifi gets that far.
> > > I have a couple of Tasmoto-firmware 'power plugs' I'd use otherwise.
> > Could you run a mini access point just for the plugs? Use an old router for
> > the purpose? Doesn't need to be on the same SSID as the rest.
> >
> I had thought of that ... but since I am trying to minimise power consumption,
> it feels a bit retrograde...

https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-point/
If you have a Pi with wifi, or a Pi with a wifi dongle.

According to this, an old Pi 1 with USB wifi takes about a watt:
https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/power-consumption
a Pi 3 with integrated wifi is slightly more.

Theo

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<f34863ca-44bb-4082-b78e-c1a34c200e2bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2270&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2270

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 08:09:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 15:09 UTC

On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 10:52:09 AM UTC+1, Theo wrote:
> jkn <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Could you run a mini access point just for the plugs? Use an old router for
> > > the purpose? Doesn't need to be on the same SSID as the rest.
> > >
> > I had thought of that ... but since I am trying to minimise power consumption,
> > it feels a bit retrograde...
> https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-point/
> If you have a Pi with wifi, or a Pi with a wifi dongle.
>
> According to this, an old Pi 1 with USB wifi takes about a watt:
> https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/power-consumption
> a Pi 3 with integrated wifi is slightly more.

Hmm...

Slightly annoyingly I gave away an old RPi recently, and brought another
spare one back into service for a different purpose. I wonder if I have
any more kicking around...

RPi, wifi, Tasmota ... it's all getting a bit inelegant...

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<af6f1034-0721-485a-9e77-8bb08dc9c4e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2272&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2272

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 10:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 17:00 UTC

On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 4:09:22 PM UTC+1, jkn wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 10:52:09 AM UTC+1, Theo wrote:
> > jkn <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> > > >
> > > I had thought of that ... but since I am trying to minimise power consumption,
> > > it feels a bit retrograde...
> > https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-point/
> > If you have a Pi with wifi, or a Pi with a wifi dongle.
> >
> > According to this, an old Pi 1 with USB wifi takes about a watt:
> > https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/power-consumption
> > a Pi 3 with integrated wifi is slightly more.
> Hmm...
>
> Slightly annoyingly I gave away an old RPi recently, and brought another
> spare one back into service for a different purpose. I wonder if I have
> any more kicking around...
>
> RPi, wifi, Tasmota ... it's all getting a bit inelegant...

I have located a 'spare' Beaglebone black in my drawer, and am thinking of
hooking it up to a mains relay board like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401755283935

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<aa1fc91b-8c15-4bbc-819d-a8c18ed58154n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2277&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2277

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 12:25:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 19:25 UTC

On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 6:00:03 PM UTC+1, jkn wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 4:09:22 PM UTC+1, jkn wrote:

> > > https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-point/
> > > If you have a Pi with wifi, or a Pi with a wifi dongle.
> > >
> > > According to this, an old Pi 1 with USB wifi takes about a watt:
> > > https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/power-consumption
> > > a Pi 3 with integrated wifi is slightly more.
> > Hmm...
> >
> > Slightly annoyingly I gave away an old RPi recently, and brought another
> > spare one back into service for a different purpose. I wonder if I have
> > any more kicking around...
> >
> > RPi, wifi, Tasmota ... it's all getting a bit inelegant...
> I have located a 'spare' Beaglebone black in my drawer, and am thinking of
> hooking it up to a mains relay board like this:
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401755283935

Hmm - also just realised that I could move one of my Lenovo USFF units
in the garage... and perhaps use that to power on the big server as well.

So - either see if wifi will work between that and an Tasmota plug, both
*inside* a metal cabinet... (I doubt it) ...
or ... I wonder if there are any USB controlled Mains relay units?

Re: improve home server power consumption - smaller PSU worth a try?

<e49bf308-138b-4b79-af62-1c0d50b2b4cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2302&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2302

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 08:53:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:53 UTC

On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 8:25:52 PM UTC+1, jkn wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 6:00:03 PM UTC+1, jkn wrote:

> > > Hmm...
> > >
> > > Slightly annoyingly I gave away an old RPi recently, and brought another
> > > spare one back into service for a different purpose. I wonder if I have
> > > any more kicking around...
> > >
> > > RPi, wifi, Tasmota ... it's all getting a bit inelegant...
> > I have located a 'spare' Beaglebone black in my drawer, and am thinking of
> > hooking it up to a mains relay board like this:
> >
> > https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401755283935
> Hmm - also just realised that I could move one of my Lenovo USFF units
> in the garage... and perhaps use that to power on the big server as well.
>
> So - either see if wifi will work between that and an Tasmota plug, both
> *inside* a metal cabinet... (I doubt it) ...
> or ... I wonder if there are any USB controlled Mains relay units?

FWIW I've just bought one of these from eBay: a little board with
2off Mains relays, controlled by USB. Less than a fiver...

<https://slomkowski.eu/projects/automatic-usb-mains-switch/relay-module-attiny45-soldered-wires.jpg>

There are a few projects around to allow scripting of this from eg. the linux
command line, or Python - seems to work fine.
My plan is now to move my Lenovo M910q
(running logitechmediaserver) into the same garage cabinet, have that on
24/7, and control the power to the supermicro server via that.

Ah, the tangled web we weave...

Cheers, J^n