To restore a sense of reality, I think Walt Disney should have a Hardluckland. -- Jack Paar

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

SubjectAuthor
* Pak/Emg T20 on SkyHVS
+* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyMike Holmans
|+- Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Skysteve hague
|+* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Skysteve hague
||`* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyMike Holmans
|| `* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyRichard Dixon
||  `- Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyMike Holmans
|+* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyRobert Henderson
||+* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyJohn Hall
|||`- Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyJohn Hall
||`- Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyRobert Henderson
|+* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyJohn Hall
||`* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyMike Holmans
|| +* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Skymike
|| |`* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyJohn Hall
|| | `* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Skyjohnson
|| |  `- Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyJohn Hall
|| `* Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyJohn Hall
||  `- Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyMike Holmans
|`- Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyRichard Dixon
`- Re: Pak/Emg T20 on SkyJohn Hall

1
Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<XnsAF1B96CB9B16Cwhhvans@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22764&group=uk.sport.cricket#22764

From: off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:49:25 +0100
 by: HVS - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 13:49 UTC

Nice to hear Gower's voice again on commentary.

--
Cheers, Harvey

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<usorihp2cggfch917urdkf2nf9spsiuake@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22767&group=uk.sport.cricket#22767

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 17:50:57 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 16:50 UTC

On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:49:25 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
wrote:

>Nice to hear Gower's voice again on commentary.

Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
94mph.

I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<tgkpr3$10l1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22768&group=uk.sport.cricket#22768

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 18:19:30 +0100
 by: steve hague - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 17:19 UTC

On 23/09/2022 17:50, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:49:25 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Nice to hear Gower's voice again on commentary.
>
> Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
> 94mph.
>
> I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

Perhaps Devon Malcolm that time he blew the Saffers away, but there was
no speed gun then, so we won't know.

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<tgkq24$169n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22769&group=uk.sport.cricket#22769

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 18:23:15 +0100
 by: steve hague - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 17:23 UTC

On 23/09/2022 17:50, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:49:25 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Nice to hear Gower's voice again on commentary.
>
> Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
> 94mph.
>
> I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

Richie Benaud reckoned that the fastest bowler he ever saw was Frank
Tyson, quicker than Thomson or Holding. These things are subjective of
course.

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<a6d60c8d-e942-475c-8ce2-ccd1402a9a4bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22770&group=uk.sport.cricket#22770

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 11:29:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 18:29 UTC

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:51:00 PM UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:49:25 +0100, HVS <off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >Nice to hear Gower's voice again on commentary.
> Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
> 94mph.
>
> I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

Tom Richardson, Bill Lockwood, Wlater Brearley, Arthur Fielder, , Bill Hitch, Harold Larwood, Gubby Allen, Ken Farnes, Frank Tyson, Fred Trueman , Alan Ward, Steve Harmison, Freddy Flintoff
........RH

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<ir1sihl5fop9tbavo72f7umh4bgte9b2ak@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22771&group=uk.sport.cricket#22771

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 20:34:18 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:34 UTC

On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 18:23:15 +0100, steve hague
<stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 23/09/2022 17:50, Mike Holmans wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:49:25 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Nice to hear Gower's voice again on commentary.
>>
>> Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
>> 94mph.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mike
>
>Richie Benaud reckoned that the fastest bowler he ever saw was Frank
>Tyson, quicker than Thomson or Holding. These things are subjective of
>course.

Well, they're not subjective any more. The fastest ball in the over
was over 97mph.

No, I'm not claiming it was the fastest over an England bowler has
ever unleashed, but it must be pretty close. Of recent England pace
bowlers, none of Archer, Harmison or Flintoff (2005 vintage) have
reached that speed.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<pRkxcSDu6gLjFwrG@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22774&group=uk.sport.cricket#22774

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 20:53:18 +0100
 by: John Hall - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:53 UTC

In message <XnsAF1B96CB9B16Cwhhvans@88.198.57.247>, HVS
<office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk> writes
>Nice to hear Gower's voice again on commentary.

Yes, it was. I've enjoyed both the games and the commentary. The only
real downside is the obligation apparently placed on the commentators to
read out adverts for the products being promoted in the stadium. Given
the frequency with which they have to do so, I think they've done well
to refrain from making any sarky comments. (It was a surprising to
discover that Sensodyne is also a leading brand of toothpaste in
Pakistan.)
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<kh1yAyDp$gLjFwJz@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22776&group=uk.sport.cricket#22776

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 20:58:33 +0100
 by: John Hall - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:58 UTC

In message <usorihp2cggfch917urdkf2nf9spsiuake@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:49:25 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Nice to hear Gower's voice again on commentary.
>
>Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
>94mph.
>
>I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.

Assuming that the speed gun was calibrated correctly, it seems unlikely.
Apparently his fastest ball was 97 mph. His return apparently fully fit
is a huge plus for England, and he and Topley made a big difference to
how potent our attack looked.

Today was the first time that I've fully appreciated why good judges are
raving about Brooks so much. He was phenomenal, and looked in a
different class to Duckett and Jacks, even though both of them played
very good innings.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<yBd3IIFLHhLjFwY5@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22777&group=uk.sport.cricket#22777

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 21:06:35 +0100
 by: John Hall - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 20:06 UTC

In message <a6d60c8d-e942-475c-8ce2-ccd1402a9a4bn@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Henderson <anywhere156@gmail.com> writes
>On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:51:00 PM UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:49:25 +0100, HVS <off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>> >Nice to hear Gower's voice again on commentary.
>> Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
>> 94mph.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mike
>
>Tom Richardson, Bill Lockwood, Wlater Brearley, Arthur Fielder, , Bill
>Hitch, Harold Larwood, Gubby Allen, Ken Farnes, Frank Tyson, Fred
>Trueman , Alan Ward, Steve Harmison, Freddy Flintoff
>.......RH

Richardson, Larwood and Tyson, possibly, but my impression is that the
others in your list (and Loader, Snow, Willis and Simon Jones) - though
undoubtedly fast - weren't quite as fast. (Though Lockwood from what
I've read was fast-medium rather than truly fast.)

But of course we can never really know, since prior to the last few
decades we only have subjective impressions of those who faced or saw
them to go on.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<ip8sih5ck42dt3r0s37riouqol58e71av4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22779&group=uk.sport.cricket#22779

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 22:57:48 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 21:57 UTC

On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 20:58:33 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <usorihp2cggfch917urdkf2nf9spsiuake@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
><spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>>On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:49:25 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Nice to hear Gower's voice again on commentary.
>>
>>Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
>>94mph.
>>
>>I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.
>
>Assuming that the speed gun was calibrated correctly, it seems unlikely.

I see we've had the predictable list of every fast bowler the village
idiot can think of, including those who were clearly nowhere near that
fast.

I'm prepared to believe that Larwood and Tyson might have bowled a
whole over at an average of over 95mph, but they wouldn't have done it
often. Not least because they didn't bowl very much at high pace, in
case the lunatic wishes to protest that they were doing it in
first-class cricket, not the small ration of bowling in a T20. Tyson's
own autobiography says that on the 54-55 tour, he could not bowl more
than two (8-ball) overs at top speed in any one session. Larwood's
spells at top speed were usually two overs, sometimes three.

I've seen Archer bowl that fast, though not yet for England, but not
for a whole over. Mark Wood doesn't have a convincing slower ball so
has to bowl at full speed every time, but Archer would almost
certainly have let one of those balls go at about 83mph.

>Apparently his fastest ball was 97 mph. His return apparently fully fit
>is a huge plus for England, and he and Topley made a big difference to
>how potent our attack looked.

I'm beginning to get slightly less trepidatious about Adil Rashid's
inevitable retirement. We will have little choice but to move on to
Parkinson, who's good, but not that good. But if we have Archer,
Topley and various Woods available, not having a top-rank leggie won't
be so damaging.

>Today was the first time that I've fully appreciated why good judges are
>raving about Brooks so much. He was phenomenal, and looked in a
>different class to Duckett and Jacks, even though both of them played
>very good innings.

Harry Brook can indeed be phenomenal, and the pleasing thing is that
he's becoming more consistent at it. It's fairly difficult to believe
he's not going to have a significant international career.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<7a242d86-311d-4038-8f0b-78b78667a95dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22780&group=uk.sport.cricket#22780

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 16:27:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 23:27 UTC

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 10:57:50 PM UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 20:58:33 +0100, John Hall
> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In message <usorihp2cggfch917...@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
> ><sp...@jackalope.uk> writes

+1

> >>Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
> >>94mph.
> >>
> >>I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.
> >
> >Assuming that the speed gun was calibrated correctly, it seems unlikely.

i hope he doesnt overdo it and put his back out b4 the WC! Anyway
it was a superb comeback after the thrashing the bowlers got in
the last match. They looked like a class side again.

> >Apparently his fastest ball was 97 mph. His return apparently fully fit
> >is a huge plus for England, and he and Topley made a big difference to
> >how potent our attack looked.

yes a good right/left combo, and different types of quick. both a bit
eccentric too [according to tales told by Ali].

> I'm beginning to get slightly less trepidatious about Adil Rashid's
> inevitable retirement. We will have little choice but to move on to
> Parkinson, who's good, but not that good. But if we have Archer,
> Topley and various Woods available, not having a top-rank leggie won't
> be so damaging.

i've been watching most of the CC leggies in the RLC this summer and
i think they all bowl to slow to be really effective in odi. But then so does Rashid
most of the time and hes the best we've had for yonks. I remember facing
a leggie for the first time and hearing the ball fizzing past me, and wondering WTF
was that! In odis they should quicken up and bowl 54-60mphs not 48-50
like rashid and parky do.

> >Today was the first time that I've fully appreciated why good judges are
> >raving about Brooks so much. He was phenomenal, and looked in a
> >different class to Duckett and Jacks, even though both of them played
> >very good innings.

Duckett sweeps so much they should give him a broom. If Brook does
more of this, it'll be hard for LL to get back into the side.

mike

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<DtK7z1AVpsLjFwM1@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22781&group=uk.sport.cricket#22781

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:13:57 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 09:13 UTC

In message <ip8sih5ck42dt3r0s37riouqol58e71av4@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
<snip>
>I'm beginning to get slightly less trepidatious about Adil Rashid's
>inevitable retirement. We will have little choice but to move on to
>Parkinson, who's good, but not that good. But if we have Archer, Topley
>and various Woods available, not having a top-rank leggie won't be so
>damaging.

I think Livingstone's bowling could be very useful too.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<CdW7$WBmwsLjFwvk@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22782&group=uk.sport.cricket#22782

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:21:42 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 09:21 UTC

In message <7a242d86-311d-4038-8f0b-78b78667a95dn@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>i've been watching most of the CC leggies in the RLC this summer and i
>think they all bowl to slow to be really effective in odi. But then so
>does Rashid most of the time and hes the best we've had for yonks. I
>remember facing a leggie for the first time and hearing the ball
>fizzing past me, and wondering WTF was that! In odis they should
>quicken up and bowl 54-60mphs not 48-50 like rashid and parky do.

Rashid is surely a good bit quicker than Parky. I'd have thought he was
edging into your 54-60 mph bracket.

>Duckett sweeps so much they should give him a broom. If Brook does more
>of this, it'll be hard for LL to get back into the side.

I think Livingstone's bowling, and his ability to switch between
leg-spin and off-spin, could be very useful. I think I'd want both
Brooks and Livingstone in my side. If everyone apart from Bairstow and
Archer is fit for the T20 WC, I think I'd go for a side something like:

Buttler (c and w)
Hales
Duckett
Livingstone
Brooks
Stokes
Ali
Curran or Jordan
Wood
Rashid
Topley

Tough on Malan, but I can't see how to fit him in unless I leave out
either Duckett or Stokes.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<Ity5z3B1ysLjFwsy@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22783&group=uk.sport.cricket#22783

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:24:05 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 09:24 UTC

In message <yBd3IIFLHhLjFwY5@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <a6d60c8d-e942-475c-8ce2-ccd1402a9a4bn@googlegroups.com>,
>Robert Henderson <anywhere156@gmail.com> writes
>>On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:51:00 PM UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
>>> Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
>>> 94mph.
>>>
>>> I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>>Tom Richardson, Bill Lockwood, Wlater Brearley, Arthur Fielder, , Bill
>>Hitch, Harold Larwood, Gubby Allen, Ken Farnes, Frank Tyson, Fred
>>Trueman , Alan Ward, Steve Harmison, Freddy Flintoff
>>.......RH
>
>Richardson, Larwood and Tyson, possibly, but my impression is that the
>others in your list (and Loader, Snow, Willis and Simon Jones) - though
>undoubtedly fast - weren't quite as fast. (Though Lockwood from what
>I've read was fast-medium rather than truly fast.)
>
>But of course we can never really know, since prior to the last few
>decades we only have subjective impressions of those who faced or saw
>them to go on.

I somehow left out Archer, undoubtedly fast but not as fast as Wood.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<60bc3ad2-7da0-4439-b1e5-4a8bf01c70c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22784&group=uk.sport.cricket#22784

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 03:17:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: richsdix...@gmail.com (Richard Dixon)
 by: Richard Dixon - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:17 UTC

On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 17:51:00 UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:

> Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
> 94mph.
>
> I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.

My thoughts exactly. It was thrilling stuff. The result of 6 months of pent-up frustration in an over !

Richard

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<00b82ad0-b927-41a6-b62d-feac18f9c870n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22785&group=uk.sport.cricket#22785

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 03:19:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: richsdix...@gmail.com (Richard Dixon)
 by: Richard Dixon - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:19 UTC

On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 20:34:20 UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:

> No, I'm not claiming it was the fastest over an England bowler has
> ever unleashed, but it must be pretty close. Of recent England pace
> bowlers, none of Archer, Harmison or Flintoff (2005 vintage) have
> reached that speed.

I was watching some old Ashes / ODI stuff and was actually surprised how frequently Fred/Harmison were in and around 90 mph on the (then) speed guns. But they weren't at this level. Archer 2019 vintage wasn't far off, mind in that spell where he concussed Smith.

Richard

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<b061c792-bf89-4752-b823-69d20a52b8cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22786&group=uk.sport.cricket#22786

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 05:32:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 12:32 UTC

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 7:29:41 PM UTC+1, Robert Henderson wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:51:00 PM UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:49:25 +0100, HVS <off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> > >Nice to hear Gower's voice again on commentary.
> > Mark Wood just bowled an over in which the slowest ball was over
> > 94mph.
> >
> > I wonder if anyone has ever bowled that fast for England before.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Mike
> Tom Richardson, Bill Lockwood, Wlater Brearley, Arthur Fielder, , Bill Hitch, Harold Larwood, Gubby Allen, Ken Farnes, Frank Tyson, Fred Trueman , Alan Ward, Steve Harmison, Freddy Flintoff
> .......RH

....Fred Morely, Nevill Knox, Arnold Warren, C Buckingham, Jim Smith, Nobby Clarke, John Snow, Bob Willis...
RH

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<ad1uihdh7e1flpjamhacr5eteuk654hhtb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22787&group=uk.sport.cricket#22787

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 14:45:04 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:45 UTC

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 03:19:20 -0700 (PDT), Richard Dixon
<richsdixon1975@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 20:34:20 UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
>
>> No, I'm not claiming it was the fastest over an England bowler has
>> ever unleashed, but it must be pretty close. Of recent England pace
>> bowlers, none of Archer, Harmison or Flintoff (2005 vintage) have
>> reached that speed.
>
>I was watching some old Ashes / ODI stuff and was actually surprised how frequently Fred/Harmison were in and around 90 mph on the (then) speed guns. But they weren't at this level. Archer 2019 vintage wasn't far off, mind in that spell where he concussed Smith.

There's a huge difference between averaging 90mph and averaging 95mph.

I've seen Archer hit 95 mph, but not 97.5mph like Wood's fastest ball
during the over in question.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<0g2uih54p3i9cb598iiqoaps7qmdrcnl8d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22788&group=uk.sport.cricket#22788

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 14:46:47 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:46 UTC

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:13:57 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <ip8sih5ck42dt3r0s37riouqol58e71av4@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
><spam@jackalope.uk> writes
><snip>
>>I'm beginning to get slightly less trepidatious about Adil Rashid's
>>inevitable retirement. We will have little choice but to move on to
>>Parkinson, who's good, but not that good. But if we have Archer, Topley
>>and various Woods available, not having a top-rank leggie won't be so
>>damaging.
>
>I think Livingstone's bowling could be very useful too.

Livingstone's bowling is very useful, but he isn't a top-flight
bowler.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<IhIXK.709995$JNZ4.399335@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22792&group=uk.sport.cricket#22792

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
From: roo...@example.net (johnson)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 18:48:08 GMT
 by: johnson - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 18:48 UTC

On 2022-09-24, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <7a242d86-311d-4038-8f0b-78b78667a95dn@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>i've been watching most of the CC leggies in the RLC this summer and i
>>think they all bowl to slow to be really effective in odi. But then so
>>does Rashid most of the time and hes the best we've had for yonks. I
>>remember facing a leggie for the first time and hearing the ball
>>fizzing past me, and wondering WTF was that! In odis they should
>>quicken up and bowl 54-60mphs not 48-50 like rashid and parky do.
>
> Rashid is surely a good bit quicker than Parky. I'd have thought he was
> edging into your 54-60 mph bracket.
>

>>Duckett sweeps so much they should give him a broom. If Brook does more
>>of this, it'll be hard for LL to get back into the side.
>
> I think Livingstone's bowling, and his ability to switch between
> leg-spin and off-spin, could be very useful. I think I'd want both
> Brooks and Livingstone in my side. If everyone apart from Bairstow and
> Archer is fit for the T20 WC, I think I'd go for a side something like:
>
> Buttler (c and w)
> Hales
> Duckett
> Livingstone
> Brooks
> Stokes
> Ali
> Curran or Jordan
> Wood
> Rashid
> Topley
>
> Tough on Malan, but I can't see how to fit him in unless I leave out
> either Duckett or Stokes.

Duckett isn't in the WC squad

Re: Pak/Emg T20 on Sky

<0odqRRAcm1LjFw6N@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22793&group=uk.sport.cricket#22793

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 20:25:16 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 19:25 UTC

In message <IhIXK.709995$JNZ4.399335@usenetxs.com>, johnson
<root@example.net> writes
>On 2022-09-24, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <7a242d86-311d-4038-8f0b-78b78667a95dn@googlegroups.com>,
>> mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>>i've been watching most of the CC leggies in the RLC this summer and i
>>>think they all bowl to slow to be really effective in odi. But then so
>>>does Rashid most of the time and hes the best we've had for yonks. I
>>>remember facing a leggie for the first time and hearing the ball
>>>fizzing past me, and wondering WTF was that! In odis they should
>>>quicken up and bowl 54-60mphs not 48-50 like rashid and parky do.
>>
>> Rashid is surely a good bit quicker than Parky. I'd have thought he was
>> edging into your 54-60 mph bracket.
>>

>>>Duckett sweeps so much they should give him a broom. If Brook does more
>>>of this, it'll be hard for LL to get back into the side.
>>
>> I think Livingstone's bowling, and his ability to switch between
>> leg-spin and off-spin, could be very useful. I think I'd want both
>> Brooks and Livingstone in my side. If everyone apart from Bairstow and
>> Archer is fit for the T20 WC, I think I'd go for a side something like:
>>
>> Buttler (c and w)
>> Hales
>> Duckett
>> Livingstone
>> Brooks
>> Stokes
>> Ali
>> Curran or Jordan
>> Wood
>> Rashid
>> Topley
>>
>> Tough on Malan, but I can't see how to fit him in unless I leave out
>> either Duckett or Stokes.
>
>Duckett isn't in the WC squad

Thanks. I'd just assumed that he would be. In that case Malan gets a
reprieve.