From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Do we use DPUs in the UK?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 19:48:54 +0000
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 19:48 UTC

On 10/02/2022 19:05, Graham Harrison wrote:
> DPU = Distributed Power Unit - a locomotive in the middle or at the
> rear of a train controlled via radio from the lead locomotive.
> Typically https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locotrol
>
> 7C77 today Wembley Yard to Merehead was reported at 66564 + 15 wagons
> + 59206 mid train + 18 wagons.
>
> I suspect it was simply an operational convenience but who knows?

I would have thought not, TBH, as I understand that there are legal
limits as to the length of freight here trains in England, and much of
Europe.

I have seen images them in the United States, Russia and Australia
however. The Russians and Australians seem to have them to haul iron ore
and various coal grades.

Re: Do we use DPUs in the UK?

<su3rkl$ud7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22841&group=uk.railway#22841

From: new...@hartig-mantel.de (Rolf Mantel)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 21:13:10 +0100
 by: Rolf Mantel - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 20:13 UTC

Am 10.02.2022 um 20:48 schrieb hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk:
> On 10/02/2022 19:05, Graham Harrison wrote:
>> DPU = Distributed Power Unit - a locomotive in the middle or at the
>> rear of a train controlled via radio from the lead locomotive.
>> Typically https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locotrol
>>
>> 7C77 today Wembley Yard to Merehead was reported at 66564 + 15 wagons
>> + 59206 mid train + 18 wagons.
>>
>> I suspect it was simply an operational convenience but who knows?
>
> I would have thought not, TBH, as I understand that there are legal
> limits as to the length of freight here trains in England, and much of
> Europe.

I believe the limits are not legal but technical (length of sidings).
The new European standard is an upgrade to 740m on main freight routes,
with some special routes allowing for longer 835m trains.

DPU becomes a necessity when the train weight exceeds the strength of
the couplings. Europe is prototyping automatic "Schaku" couplings, with
the aim of modernizing the wagon park completely within the next 10-20
years, reducing the need for DPU as opposed to multiple power units at
the front of the train (thanks to largely powerful Electric traction,
the need of multiple units in Europe is reduced compared to Diesl-only
countries).

> I have seen images them in the United States, Russia and Australia
> however. The Russians and Australians seem to have them to haul iron ore
> and various coal grades.

AIUI, the 700m iron ore trains in Lulea are now pulled by a single
electric unit, using the stronger Russian-style couplings.

Rolf

Re: Do we use DPUs in the UK?

<su3slq$pl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22844&group=uk.railway#22844

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 20:30:50 +0000
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 20:30 UTC

On 10/02/2022 20:13, Rolf Mantel wrote:
> Am 10.02.2022 um 20:48 schrieb hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk:
>> On 10/02/2022 19:05, Graham Harrison wrote:
>>> DPU = Distributed Power Unit - a locomotive in the middle or at the
>>> rear of a train controlled via radio from the lead locomotive.
>>> Typically https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locotrol
>>>
>>> 7C77 today Wembley Yard to Merehead was reported at 66564 + 15 wagons
>>> + 59206 mid train + 18 wagons.
>>>
>>> I suspect it was simply an operational convenience but who knows?
>>
>> I would have thought not, TBH, as I understand that there are legal
>> limits as to the length of freight here trains in England, and much of
>> Europe.
>
> I believe the limits are not legal but technical (length of sidings).
> The new European standard is an upgrade to 740m on main freight routes,
> with some special routes allowing for longer 835m trains.
>
> DPU becomes a necessity when the train weight exceeds the strength of
> the couplings.  Europe is prototyping automatic "Schaku" couplings, with
> the aim of modernizing the wagon park completely within the next 10-20
> years, reducing the need for DPU as opposed to multiple power units at
> the front of the train (thanks to largely powerful Electric traction,
> the need of multiple units in Europe is reduced compared to Diesl-only
> countries).
>
>> I have seen images them in the United States, Russia and Australia
>> however. The Russians and Australians seem to have them to haul iron
>> ore and various coal grades.
>
> AIUI, the 700m iron ore trains in Lulea are now pulled by a single
> electric unit, using the stronger Russian-style couplings.
>
> Rolf

Semi-automatic knuckle couplers, I believe.

Re: Do we use DPUs in the UK?

<ej1c0h5lett1d67cjd61qc64496mlvisk4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22878&group=uk.railway#22878

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 06:53:13 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 06:53 UTC

On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 19:48:54 +0000, "hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk"
<hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On 10/02/2022 19:05, Graham Harrison wrote:
>> DPU = Distributed Power Unit - a locomotive in the middle or at the
>> rear of a train controlled via radio from the lead locomotive.
>> Typically https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locotrol
>>
>> 7C77 today Wembley Yard to Merehead was reported at 66564 + 15 wagons
>> + 59206 mid train + 18 wagons.
>>
>> I suspect it was simply an operational convenience but who knows?
>
>I would have thought not, TBH, as I understand that there are legal
>limits as to the length of freight here trains in England, and much of
>Europe.

Signalling section limits not legal limits. The up-to roughly half a
mile long High Output Ballast Cleaner train requires special
arrangements when travelling to/from work sites because of its length.
<snip>

Re: Do we use DPUs in the UK?

<su6uob$gl0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23049&group=uk.railway#23049

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 00:24:43 +0000
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 00:24 UTC

On 10/02/2022 20:13, Rolf Mantel wrote:
> Am 10.02.2022 um 20:48 schrieb hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk:
>> On 10/02/2022 19:05, Graham Harrison wrote:
>>> DPU = Distributed Power Unit - a locomotive in the middle or at the
>>> rear of a train controlled via radio from the lead locomotive.
>>> Typically https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locotrol
>>>
>>> 7C77 today Wembley Yard to Merehead was reported at 66564 + 15 wagons
>>> + 59206 mid train + 18 wagons.
>>>
>>> I suspect it was simply an operational convenience but who knows?
>>
>> I would have thought not, TBH, as I understand that there are legal
>> limits as to the length of freight here trains in England, and much of
>> Europe.
>
> I believe the limits are not legal but technical (length of sidings).

Even on NLL?