Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:35:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Near_Miss_of_the_Day_626:_“Clear_and_deliberate_sw
erve”_–_but_driver_only_gets_warning_letter
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:35 UTC

Today’s video in our Near Miss of the Day series saw a cyclist get what he described as a “clear and deliberate swerve” from a driver – but the motorist only received a warning letter from police.

The cyclist, road.cc reader Pompey Cyclist, had moved out into the road to pass a skip placed on the left-hand carriageway when the driver of a Honda Civic made a close pass on him and immediately cut back in across the rider..

“Clear and deliberate swerve here, yet Derbyshire Police only send the driver a letter ‘educating them’ as if they need to be told it's not okay to attack vulnerable road users with your car,” he told us.

As one of the commenters to the video points out, “Why would someone driving pass a vulnerable road user when there is a big container ahead of them? Could have waited only a few seconds before passing safely.”

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-625-clear-and-deliberate-swerve-285777

Re: Near Miss of the Day 626: “Clear and deliberate swerve” – but driver only gets warning letter

<op.08hbu2jwmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2286&group=uk.rec.cycling#2286

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 15:29:16 +0100
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 14:29 UTC

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:35:29 +0100, swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today’s video in our Near Miss of the Day series saw a cyclist get what he described as a “clear and deliberate swerve” from a driver – but the motorist only received a warning letter from police.
>
> The cyclist, road.cc reader Pompey Cyclist, had moved out into the road to pass a skip placed on the left-hand carriageway when the driver of a Honda Civic made a close pass on him and immediately cut back in across the rider.
>
> “Clear and deliberate swerve here, yet Derbyshire Police only send the driver a letter ‘educating them’ as if they need to be told it's not okay to attack vulnerable road users with your car,” he told us.
>
> As one of the commenters to the video points out, “Why would someone driving pass a vulnerable road user when there is a big container ahead of them? Could have waited only a few seconds before passing safely.”
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-625-clear-and-deliberate-swerve-285777

Why was the cyclist overtaking the skip before checking for passing cars? If I'm driving along and wish to pass a slower thing in front of me, I make sure there's not someone passing me already!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Near Miss of the Day 626: “Clear and deliberate swerve” – but driver only gets warning letter