aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

SubjectAuthor
* Facebook Marketplace is a waste of timeOzix
+* Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of timeNoddy
|`* Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of timeDaryl
| +* Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of timeNoddy
| |`- Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of timeDaryl
| +- Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of timeClocky
| `* Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of timejonz@ nothere.com
|  `* Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of timeDaryl
|   `- Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of timejonz@ nothere.com
+- Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of timeClocky
`- Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of timeYosemite Sam

1
Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

<63e6ed34$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22827&group=aus.cars#22827

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: ozi...@xizo.am (Ozix)
Subject: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 09:19:48 +0800
 by: Ozix - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 01:19 UTC

By chance I spotted a car listed for half of what it is worth. It was
coming up in wrong category. If you went to vehicles and did a search by
year range, location et cetera, it didn't appear. Looked to be very good
condition in photos, only worry was if odometer is correct. I figured it
would have been snapped up if not for Facebook glitch. Contacted seller
and got address. Then I went there a few hours later, but alas another
bloke was there with a car trailer - beat me to it.

Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

<ts6u0h$1778m$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22834&group=aus.cars#22834

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:20:00 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 02:20 UTC

On 11/02/2023 12:19 pm, Ozix wrote:
> By chance I spotted a car listed for half of what it is worth. It was
> coming up in wrong category. If you went to vehicles and did a search by
> year range, location et cetera, it didn't appear. Looked to be very good
> condition in photos, only worry was if odometer is correct. I figured it
> would have been snapped up if not for Facebook glitch. Contacted seller
> and got address. Then I went there a few hours later, but alas another
> bloke was there with a car trailer - beat me to it.

So what? How is that the fault of Marketplace?

It's an unregulated sales venue that largely operates on a "first in
first served" basis. You're not forced to use it.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

<ts6vlc$1a9l6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22835&group=aus.cars#22835

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 10:48:02 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 02:48 UTC

On 11/02/2023 9:19 am, Ozix wrote:
> By chance I spotted a car listed for half of what it is worth. It was
> coming up in wrong category. If you went to vehicles and did a search by
> year range, location et cetera, it didn't appear. Looked to be very good
> condition in photos, only worry was if odometer is correct. I figured it
> would have been snapped up if not for Facebook glitch. Contacted seller
> and got address. Then I went there a few hours later, but alas another
> bloke was there with a car trailer - beat me to it.

I looked at a car this week. Looked OK in the admittedly crappy photos,
was reasonably priced and according to the seller was super-reliable.

Reality was a little different. It had a radiator from a different make
and model jammed into it, had oil in the coolant and when I started the
engine it had a very loud rod knock.

You win some you lose some.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

<k4oe7tFmhkmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22836&group=aus.cars#22836

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:52:45 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 02:52 UTC

On 11/2/2023 1:20 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 11/02/2023 12:19 pm, Ozix wrote:
>> By chance I spotted a car listed for half of what it is worth. It was
>> coming up in wrong category. If you went to vehicles and did a search
>> by year range, location et cetera, it didn't appear. Looked to be very
>> good condition in photos, only worry was if odometer is correct. I
>> figured it would have been snapped up if not for Facebook glitch.
>> Contacted seller and got address. Then I went there a few hours later,
>> but alas another bloke was there with a car trailer - beat me to it.
>
> So what? How is that the fault of Marketplace?
>
> It's an unregulated sales venue that largely operates on a "first in
> first served" basis. You're not forced to use it.

Sort of related I was talking to a bloke at Winton yesterday who had
bought a stat write off Toyota 86 from an online auction for vehicles
supposedly damaged in the Brisbane floods.
The car has a bit over 70,000km and has an auto trans, looks to be in
very good condition, no sign of any water damage, only fault they could
find was it was running rough due to fouled spark plugs, replaced the
plugs and it runs perfectly.
In RW registered condition they normally sell for about $30k, he got it
for $5k, its not able to be registered but for $5k its a very cheap
track day car and the parts would easily sell for much more than $5k if
he decided to wreck it.

--
Daryl

Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

<k4ofmgFmrg2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22840&group=aus.cars#22840

From: fel...@goaway.now (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:17:01 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 03:17 UTC

Ozix wrote:
> By chance I spotted a car listed for half of what it is worth. It was
> coming up in wrong category. If you went to vehicles and did a search
> by year range, location et cetera, it didn't appear. Looked to be very
> good condition in photos, only worry was if odometer is correct. I
> figured it would have been snapped up if not for Facebook glitch.
> Contacted seller and got address. Then I went there a few hours later,
> but alas another bloke was there with a car trailer - beat me to it.

so how does that make FB marketplace a waste of time? you found a car
you wanted

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

<ts782c$1b5nm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22850&group=aus.cars#22850

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 16:11:40 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 05:11 UTC

On 11/02/2023 1:52 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 11/2/2023 1:20 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 11/02/2023 12:19 pm, Ozix wrote:
>>> By chance I spotted a car listed for half of what it is worth. It was
>>> coming up in wrong category. If you went to vehicles and did a search
>>> by year range, location et cetera, it didn't appear. Looked to be
>>> very good condition in photos, only worry was if odometer is correct.
>>> I figured it would have been snapped up if not for Facebook glitch.
>>> Contacted seller and got address. Then I went there a few hours
>>> later, but alas another bloke was there with a car trailer - beat me
>>> to it.
>>
>> So what? How is that the fault of Marketplace?
>>
>> It's an unregulated sales venue that largely operates on a "first in
>> first served" basis. You're not forced to use it.
>>

> Sort of related I was talking to a bloke at Winton yesterday who had
> bought a stat write off Toyota 86 from an online auction for vehicles
> supposedly damaged in the Brisbane floods.
> The car has a bit over 70,000km and has an auto trans, looks to be in
> very good condition, no sign of any water damage, only fault they could
> find was it was running rough due to fouled spark plugs, replaced the
> plugs and it runs perfectly.
> In RW registered condition they normally sell for about $30k, he got it
> for $5k, its not able to be registered but for $5k its a very cheap
> track day car and the parts would easily sell for much more than $5k if
> he decided to wreck it.

Nice. Such cars make great donor vehicles.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

<ts78gh$1b6uh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22852&group=aus.cars#22852

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:19:02 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 05:19 UTC

On 11/02/2023 10:52 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 11/2/2023 1:20 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 11/02/2023 12:19 pm, Ozix wrote:
>>> By chance I spotted a car listed for half of what it is worth. It was
>>> coming up in wrong category. If you went to vehicles and did a search
>>> by year range, location et cetera, it didn't appear. Looked to be
>>> very good condition in photos, only worry was if odometer is correct.
>>> I figured it would have been snapped up if not for Facebook glitch.
>>> Contacted seller and got address. Then I went there a few hours
>>> later, but alas another bloke was there with a car trailer - beat me
>>> to it.
>>
>> So what? How is that the fault of Marketplace?
>>
>> It's an unregulated sales venue that largely operates on a "first in
>> first served" basis. You're not forced to use it.
>>

> Sort of related I was talking to a bloke at Winton yesterday who had
> bought a stat write off Toyota 86 from an online auction for vehicles
> supposedly damaged in the Brisbane floods.
> The car has a bit over 70,000km and has an auto trans, looks to be in
> very good condition, no sign of any water damage, only fault they could
> find was it was running rough due to fouled spark plugs,

Fouled plugs on an 86?

You don't think that's a clue about what happened to it? Might be OK now
but for how long?

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

<k4omuoFnt49U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22853&group=aus.cars#22853

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 16:21:28 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 05:21 UTC

On 11/2/2023 4:11 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 11/02/2023 1:52 pm, Daryl wrote:
>>>
>>> So what? How is that the fault of Marketplace?
>>>
>>> It's an unregulated sales venue that largely operates on a "first in
>>> first served" basis. You're not forced to use it.
>>>

>> Sort of related I was talking to a bloke at Winton yesterday who had
>> bought a stat write off Toyota 86 from an online auction for vehicles
>> supposedly damaged in the Brisbane floods.
>> The car has a bit over 70,000km and has an auto trans, looks to be in
>> very good condition, no sign of any water damage, only fault they
>> could find was it was running rough due to fouled spark plugs,
>> replaced the plugs and it runs perfectly.
>> In RW registered condition they normally sell for about $30k, he got
>> it for $5k, its not able to be registered but for $5k its a very cheap
>> track day car and the parts would easily sell for much more than $5k
>> if he decided to wreck it.
>
> Nice. Such cars make great donor vehicles.

Certainly do, I couldn't believe the price, even for a stat write off
its still very cheap.

--
Daryl

Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

<de91b6b4-89d2-4669-a04e-8a644e9445d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22887&group=aus.cars#22887

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 01:43:54 -0800 (PST)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 09:43 UTC

On Saturday, 11 February 2023 at 13:52:47 UTC+11, Daryl wrote:
> On 11/2/2023 1:20 pm, Noddy wrote:
> > On 11/02/2023 12:19 pm, Ozix wrote:
> >> By chance I spotted a car listed for half of what it is worth. It was
> >> coming up in wrong category. If you went to vehicles and did a search
> >> by year range, location et cetera, it didn't appear. Looked to be very
> >> good condition in photos, only worry was if odometer is correct. I
> >> figured it would have been snapped up if not for Facebook glitch.
> >> Contacted seller and got address. Then I went there a few hours later,
> >> but alas another bloke was there with a car trailer - beat me to it.
> >
> > So what? How is that the fault of Marketplace?
> >
> > It's an unregulated sales venue that largely operates on a "first in
> > first served" basis. You're not forced to use it.
> >

> Sort of related I was talking to a bloke at Winton yesterday who had
> bought a stat write off Toyota 86 from an online auction for vehicles
> supposedly damaged in the Brisbane floods.
> The car has a bit over 70,000km and has an auto trans, looks to be in
> very good condition, no sign of any water damage, only fault they could
> find was it was running rough due to fouled spark plugs, replaced the
> plugs and it runs perfectly.
> In RW registered condition they normally sell for about $30k, he got it
> for $5k, its not able to be registered but for $5k its a very cheap
> track day car and the parts would easily sell for much more than $5k if
> he decided to wreck it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Had my marketplace moment last week. A 1957 EIP Vauxhall Velox, looked good and the usual rust didn`t seem to be apparent. It was tidy inside and out and a runner. Asking $2500...
Too far for me (I thought) in Vic. somewhere. By the next morning I had decided to go and check it out..Contacted old mate, and of course it was *sold*! :( Not surprised given the price and condition.
I owned a whole string of these EIP`s back in the dim past, and it would have been a nostalgia trip. Oh well. ;)

> --
> Daryl

Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

<k4s16gF8pdcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22888&group=aus.cars#22888

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:34:40 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 11:34 UTC

On 12/2/2023 8:43 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 February 2023 at 13:52:47 UTC+11, Daryl wrote:
>>>
>>> So what? How is that the fault of Marketplace?
>>>
>>> It's an unregulated sales venue that largely operates on a "first in
>>> first served" basis. You're not forced to use it.
>>>

>> Sort of related I was talking to a bloke at Winton yesterday who had
>> bought a stat write off Toyota 86 from an online auction for vehicles
>> supposedly damaged in the Brisbane floods.
>> The car has a bit over 70,000km and has an auto trans, looks to be in
>> very good condition, no sign of any water damage, only fault they could
>> find was it was running rough due to fouled spark plugs, replaced the
>> plugs and it runs perfectly.
>> In RW registered condition they normally sell for about $30k, he got it
>> for $5k, its not able to be registered but for $5k its a very cheap
>> track day car and the parts would easily sell for much more than $5k if
>> he decided to wreck it.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Had my marketplace moment last week. A 1957 EIP Vauxhall Velox, looked good and the usual rust didn`t seem to be apparent. It was tidy inside and out and a runner. Asking $2500...
> Too far for me (I thought) in Vic. somewhere. By the next morning I had decided to go and check it out..Contacted old mate, and of course it was *sold*! :( Not surprised given the price and condition.
> I owned a whole string of these EIP`s back in the dim past, and it would have been a nostalgia trip. Oh well. ;)

Do you know exactly where it was located?
Too late now but if it was reasonably close to me I could of gone and
had a look for you.
Been lots of car shows on around here lately, "Picnic at Hanging Rock"
which is usually a huge show was on today and last week was "Wings
Wheels and Coffee" at Bacchus Marsh aerodrome, I even bumped into
someone we both know from around here:-)
There was also a big car show at Queenscliff last weekend.
I think that I saw at least one old Vauxhall at the BM show last Sunday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN3D3Nsh4uA
I think the red car at 2.22 is a Vauxhall?

--
Daryl

Re: Facebook Marketplace is a waste of time

<48a5eb11-0618-4c4f-91f0-efca4923b7ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22891&group=aus.cars#22891

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 20:27:38 -0800 (PST)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 04:27 UTC

On Sunday, 12 February 2023 at 22:34:43 UTC+11, Daryl wrote:
> On 12/2/2023 8:43 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:

> >> Sort of related I was talking to a bloke at Winton yesterday who had
> >> bought a stat write off Toyota 86 from an online auction for vehicles
> >> supposedly damaged in the Brisbane floods.
> >> The car has a bit over 70,000km and has an auto trans, looks to be in
> >> very good condition, no sign of any water damage, only fault they could
> >> find was it was running rough due to fouled spark plugs, replaced the
> >> plugs and it runs perfectly.
> >> In RW registered condition they normally sell for about $30k, he got it
> >> for $5k, its not able to be registered but for $5k its a very cheap
> >> track day car and the parts would easily sell for much more than $5k if
> >> he decided to wreck it.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Had my marketplace moment last week. A 1957 EIP Vauxhall Velox, looked good and the usual rust didn`t seem to be apparent. It was tidy inside and out and a runner. Asking $2500...
> > Too far for me (I thought) in Vic. somewhere. By the next morning I had decided to go and check it out..Contacted old mate, and of course it was *sold*! :( Not surprised given the price and condition.
> > I owned a whole string of these EIP`s back in the dim past, and it would have been a nostalgia trip. Oh well. ;)
> Do you know exactly where it was located?
> Too late now but if it was reasonably close to me I could of gone and
> had a look for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
No, i don`t, but the offer is appreciated. :) (Next time!. :))

> Been lots of car shows on around here lately, "Picnic at Hanging Rock"
> which is usually a huge show was on today and last week was "Wings
> Wheels and Coffee" at Bacchus Marsh aerodrome, I even bumped into
> someone we both know from around here:-)
> There was also a big car show at Queenscliff last weekend.
> I think that I saw at least one old Vauxhall at the BM show last Sunday.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN3D3Nsh4uA
> I think the red car at 2.22 is a Vauxhall?
Yep, that's the look of the first EIP`s. (most of the ones I had looked like that. (There was even a 'built for Australia' convertible called the Vagabond..Hen's teeth category) There was a facelift around 1955 and the front-on look changed considerably (for the better I think, the `57 in particular) Seems you guys are getting plenty of show action down that way ;) don`t get too many shows up here, but do have a lot of car/bike runs stopping off for an hour or two. Usually something to see.