Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship. -- Zeuxis

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors and hi-vis — if they ain't looking they won't see you"

SubjectAuthor
* Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors and hiswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectorsJNugent
+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors answldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors answldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 850:Spike
|`* Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors answldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectorsJNugent
`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors answldx...@gmail.com

1
Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors and hi-vis — if they ain't looking they won't see you"

<5d8bdf2e-2ca2-4b58-afeb-1759b36edd96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22905&group=uk.rec.cycling#22905

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 05:14:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Near_Miss_of_the_Day_850:_"Lights,_reflectors_and_hi
-vis_—_if_they_ain't_looking_they_won't_see_you"
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 13:14 UTC

You've no doubt heard the argument about cyclists and hi-vis by now...

You might have even read a certain loophole-loving lawyer's since-rejected petition and media rounds about the idea cyclists should be required to wear bright hi-vis clothing on the roads.

On the other hand, others, notably the Surrey Police Roads Policing Unit, have pointed out you can wear all the visible clothing in the world, but if someone is not looking then they are not going to see you anyway...

How have you turned this into a discussion about high viz?

We have cars covered in it and big flashy lights and drivers STILL don’t see us. pic.twitter.com/e4PF8v7uqu (link is external)

— Roads Policing - Surrey Police - UK (@SurreyRoadCops) June 26, 2020 (link is external)

That's the basis for today's Near Miss of the Day offering too which comes courtesy of a reader who was riding at night when the driver ahead started to drift across to the wrong side of the road, getting closer and closer.

Listing the full array of safety brightness on display, our reader told us he had: "Two front lights, two rear lights, reflectors all over and I was wearing a hi-vis jacket.

"Not much to comment apart from 'If they ain't looking they won't see you'."

Back in December we heard from another highly visible cyclist, for NMotD 838, after they were almost knocked off at a mini-roundabout, only for the driver involved to run a red light to avoid having to explain their behaviour moments later.

"Tell me again about hi-vis and lights!" the rider concluded.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-850-299257

Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors and hi-vis — if they ain't looking they won't see you"

<k5evh6F73neU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23419&group=uk.rec.cycling#23419

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Near_Miss_of_the_Day_850:_"Lights,_reflectors
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 16:02:46 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 16:02 UTC

> You've no doubt heard the argument about cyclists and hi-vis by now...
>
> You might have even read a certain loophole-loving lawyer's since-rejected petition and media rounds about the idea cyclists should be required to wear bright hi-vis clothing on the roads.
>
> On the other hand, others, notably the Surrey Police Roads Policing Unit, have pointed out you can wear all the visible clothing in the world, but if someone is not looking then they are not going to see you anyway...

....and that's why so many fairy-cyclists collide with the backs of
stationary vehicles, isn't it?

See:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I0Zs1G1ri4>

and

<https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gIquuQeZmOE>

and

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF9RRCuhPU>

[OK, not the back in that case, but it is spectacular.]

and

<https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5WagW6vmclk>

and [this is good 'un - not seen it before]:

<https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8B5Vnu7_mOM>

Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors and hi-vis — if they ain't looking they won't see you"

<af04223b-b5e3-4ecd-b252-ddc6a68cea6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23428&group=uk.rec.cycling#23428

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 08:54:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_Near_Miss_of_the_Day_850:_"Lights,_reflectors_an
d_hi-vis_—_if_they_ain't_looking_they_won't_see_you"
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 16:54 UTC

Lights and hi viz (for a cyclist) in an urban street lit environment serve only 2 purposes.

1. To be an annoying distraction for drivers from whatever it is that's more important for them to be looking at inside their vehicle.

2. Deflect at least some small part of the blame for causing an accident and getting themselves run over.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors and hi-vis — if they ain't looking they won't see you"

<k5fdq6F98fnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23439&group=uk.rec.cycling#23439

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 850:
Date: 19 Feb 2023 20:06:30 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:06 UTC

JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:
> On 12/02/2023 01:14 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> On the other hand, others, notably the Surrey Police Roads Policing
>> Unit, have pointed out you can wear all the visible clothing in the
>> world, but if someone is not looking then they are not going to see you anyway...

> ...and that's why so many fairy-cyclists collide with the backs of
> stationary vehicles, isn't it?

> See:

> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I0Zs1G1ri4>

Classic! Not looking where he’s going. Just imagine the outcry had a car
crashed into a cyclist in similar circumstances - it’s the sort of case
where they would demang a driving ban and a retest.

> and

> <https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gIquuQeZmOE>

Not even a SMIDSY!

> and

> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF9RRCuhPU>

Appealing to cyclists to slow down just falls on deaf ears!

Bet that guy that T-boned the car was sore in the morning, but there was no
way he was ever going to make that corner - perhaps it’s the thought of
actually using his brakes that spooked him.

> [OK, not the back in that case, but it is spectacular.]

> and

> <https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5WagW6vmclk>

He was just a moron.

> and [this is good 'un - not seen it before]:

> <https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8B5Vnu7_mOM>

There has been much talk in the past about swung D-locks; nice to see how
it works in real life.

Thanks for the videos, priceless examples of how dim cyclists are while
demanding the highest standards from others.

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors and hi-vis — if they ain't looking they won't see you"

<a16af140-cd24-4d62-b289-6ab041b802d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23441&group=uk.rec.cycling#23441

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:29:55 -0800 (PST)
d_hi-vis_—_if_they_ain't_looking_they_won't_see_you"
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:29 UTC

Drunk, high, blind, using their phone/satnav, incompetent, asleep, unlicensed, distracted by child/passenger or just didn't give a f**k?

Sadly a large proportion of the driving public are one or more of the above.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors an d hi-vis — if they ain't looking they won't see you"

<k5fn88FalljU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23443&group=uk.rec.cycling#23443

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 19 Feb 2023 22:47:36 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:47 UTC

> Drunk, high, blind, using their phone/satnav, incompetent, asleep,
> unlicensed, distracted by child/passenger or just didn't give a f**k?
>
> Sadly a large proportion of the driving public are one or more of the above.

Troll rating…..Poor

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors and hi-vis — if they ain't looking they won't see you"

<ba64152e-7548-43df-a643-0c358e818d16n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23445&group=uk.rec.cycling#23445

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:30:18 -0800 (PST)
d_hi-vis_—_if_they_ain't_looking_they_won't_see_you"
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:30 UTC

But but this is one of those edge cases again. It was dark. You can't seriously expect people to see as well in the dark! That's why people are encouraged not to drive in the evening and at night, you have to drive with your window open and why the speed limits are 10 - 20mph lower after civil twilight. (Is that right? )

If I have to drive in the dark, I have a few beers first. It makes me pay more attention. Safer for everyone that way.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors and hi-vis — if they ain't looking they won't see you"

<k5h829Fho9eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23451&group=uk.rec.cycling#23451

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:40:42 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:40 UTC

On 19/02/2023 08:06 pm, Spike wrote:
> JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/02/2023 01:14 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> On the other hand, others, notably the Surrey Police Roads Policing
>>> Unit, have pointed out you can wear all the visible clothing in the
>>> world, but if someone is not looking then they are not going to see you anyway...
>
>> ...and that's why so many fairy-cyclists collide with the backs of
>> stationary vehicles, isn't it?
>
>> See:
>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I0Zs1G1ri4>
>
> Classic! Not looking where he’s going. Just imagine the outcry had a car
> crashed into a cyclist in similar circumstances - it’s the sort of case
> where they would demang a driving ban and a retest.

As you say: a *classic*.

>> and
>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gIquuQeZmOE>
>
> Not even a SMIDSY!

But fairy-cyclists are allowed to do as they like, you know.

In their own fevered minds, at least.

One dreads to think of the damage done to that stationary motor vehicle.

>> and
>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF9RRCuhPU>
>
> Appealing to cyclists to slow down just falls on deaf ears!
>
> Bet that guy that T-boned the car was sore in the morning, but there was no
> way he was ever going to make that corner - perhaps it’s the thought of
> actually using his brakes that spooked him.
>
>> [OK, not the back in that case, but it is spectacular.]

Amazing that the following fairy-cyclists didn't stop to assist their
fallen "comrade". Well, not unless they too hit a stationary or
slow-moving object.

Shows how much they "care", doesn't it?

>> and
>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5WagW6vmclk>
>
> He was just a moron.

A fairy-cyclist. They're synonyms.

>> and [this is good 'un - not seen it before]:
>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8B5Vnu7_mOM>
>
> There has been much talk in the past about swung D-locks; nice to see how
> it works in real life.

:-)

> Thanks for the videos, priceless examples of how dim cyclists are while
> demanding the highest standards from others.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors and hi-vis — if they ain't looking they won't see you"

<k5h867Fho9eU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23452&group=uk.rec.cycling#23452

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:42:43 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:42 UTC

On 20/02/2023 06:30 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> But but this is one of those edge cases again. It was dark. You can't seriously expect people to see as well in the dark! That's why people are encouraged not to drive in the evening and at night, you have to drive with your window open and why the speed limits are 10 - 20mph lower after civil twilight. (Is that right? )
>
> If I have to drive in the dark, I have a few beers first. It makes me pay more attention. Safer for everyone that way.

It doesn't surprise anyone, surely, that you "think" that way.

Have you managed to get the mild and bitter pumps installed in that hole
in the floor of your garage yet? How about a few beermats?

The experience won't be complete until you do.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 850: "Lights, reflectors and hi-vis — if they ain't looking they won't see you"

<92389a9e-ad84-41fd-9065-91cd45be5d7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23456&group=uk.rec.cycling#23456

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 05:39:11 -0800 (PST)
d_hi-vis_—_if_they_ain't_looking_they_won't_see_you"
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 13:39 UTC

Awavey replied to hirsute | 3407 posts | 1 week ago
4 likes

it's the weirdest thing about that the driver took so long to react to hitting a human being and seems unable to process it to even get out of the car ? or the car behind just treats it as an obstacle in their way.