I've already told you more than I know.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

SubjectAuthor
* OT: USB 3.0 flash driveScott
+* Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveWoody
|+* Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveAndy Burns
||`* Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|| `- Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveScott
|`- Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveScott
+* Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveIndy Jess John
|+* Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveScott
||`* Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveVir Campestris
|| `* Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveScott
||  `- Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveRoderick Stewart
|`* Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveJava Jive
| `- Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveScott
`- Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash driveR. Mark Clayton

1
OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<lgcqag98qehcfr0tjq4ktkn3st8i71mg07@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22863&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22863

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 18:24:28 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 25 May 2021 17:24 UTC

I have some footage to hand over to the police. I have saved it to a
SanDisk USB 3.0 memory stick. Can I assume it will play okay on the
police equipment and at court? Would standard USB provide better
compatibility?

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<s8jda2$ue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22864&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22864

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 18:48:50 +0100
 by: Woody - Tue, 25 May 2021 17:48 UTC

On Tue 25/05/2021 18:24, Scott wrote:
> I have some footage to hand over to the police. I have saved it to a
> SanDisk USB 3.0 memory stick. Can I assume it will play okay on the
> police equipment and at court? Would standard USB provide better
> compatibility?

USB is backward compatible with 2, 1.1, and 1.0. More to the point is
the format of the video one of the common types? If it is a proprietary
format they may have problems. There are plenty of free progs on line
that will convert it into a more common format if necessary.

Rather than use a stick why not just email the video to the fuzz? If it
is a big file use something like wetransfer.com which will move huge
files if you wish. Just a good idea to mail the police first in case it
gets dumped into their junk/spam folder.

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<ih4s3rFl73rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22865&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22865

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 18:57:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 25 May 2021 17:57 UTC

Woody wrote:

> There are plenty of free progs on line that will convert it into a more
> common format if necessary.

If it's required for evidence, the least processing the better.

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<9jeqagpprijn688eqcbrfod8l6c7o14j3p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22866&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22866

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 19:01:44 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 25 May 2021 18:01 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 18:48:50 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>On Tue 25/05/2021 18:24, Scott wrote:
>> I have some footage to hand over to the police. I have saved it to a
>> SanDisk USB 3.0 memory stick. Can I assume it will play okay on the
>> police equipment and at court? Would standard USB provide better
>> compatibility?
>>
>USB is backward compatible with 2, 1.1, and 1.0. More to the point is
>the format of the video one of the common types? If it is a proprietary
>format they may have problems. There are plenty of free progs on line
>that will convert it into a more common format if necessary.

Thanks for your quick reply. The video comes from a dashcam
(Nextbase) so I assume this is as good as it gets.

>Rather than use a stick why not just email the video to the fuzz? If it
>is a big file use something like wetransfer.com which will move huge
>files if you wish. Just a good idea to mail the police first in case it
>gets dumped into their junk/spam folder.

I don't think Fuzz Scotland is as organised as that. I tried to hand
in the memory stick and they said they couldn't accept it at the
counter in case it got lost, and I would need to wait until the case
was allocated. Now the RO is coming round to take a statement and
would like to take the video with him.

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<56crI.848014$zV01.322655@fx49.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22868&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22868

From: jimwar...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 20:20:32 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Tue, 25 May 2021 19:20 UTC

On 25/05/2021 18:24, Scott wrote:
> I have some footage to hand over to the police. I have saved it to a
> SanDisk USB 3.0 memory stick. Can I assume it will play okay on the
> police equipment and at court? Would standard USB provide better
> compatibility?

USB3 is a standard that can also be read on earlier USB standards like
USB2 so the stick itself will be no problem. The format of the
recording is what really matters, and if you have recorded it on a
commonplace device then probably the police can read it.

As belt and braces (in case the court is not so well equipped you could
also copy the file onto a CD or DVD depending on the file size.

Jim

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<1lkqagt1cj4nkat9ac6njvnminf0q33ref@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22869&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22869

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 20:40:43 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 25 May 2021 19:40 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 20:20:32 +0100, Indy Jess John
<jimwarren@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>On 25/05/2021 18:24, Scott wrote:
>> I have some footage to hand over to the police. I have saved it to a
>> SanDisk USB 3.0 memory stick. Can I assume it will play okay on the
>> police equipment and at court? Would standard USB provide better
>> compatibility?
>
>USB3 is a standard that can also be read on earlier USB standards like
>USB2 so the stick itself will be no problem. The format of the
>recording is what really matters, and if you have recorded it on a
>commonplace device then probably the police can read it.
>
>As belt and braces (in case the court is not so well equipped you could
>also copy the file onto a CD or DVD depending on the file size.

Thanks. I'll offer them that tomorrow.

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<s8jkru$neu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22871&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22871

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 20:57:52 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Tue, 25 May 2021 19:57 UTC

On 25/05/2021 20:20, Indy Jess John wrote:
> On 25/05/2021 18:24, Scott wrote:
>> I have some footage to hand over to the police.  I have saved it to a
>> SanDisk USB 3.0 memory stick.  Can I assume it will play okay on the
>> police equipment and at court?  Would standard USB provide better
>> compatibility?
>
> USB3 is a standard that can also be read on earlier USB standards like
> USB2 so the stick itself will be no problem.  The format of the
> recording is what really matters, and if you have recorded it on a
> commonplace device then probably the police can read it.
>
> As belt and braces (in case the court is not so well equipped you could
> also copy the file onto a CD or DVD depending on the file size.

Yes, in the past I've made up DVDs as police evidence so that all they
had to do was just put it in a standard player.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<s8jnt7$li8$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22875&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22875

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 21:49:43 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 25 May 2021 20:49 UTC

On 25/05/2021 20:40, Scott wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2021 20:20:32 +0100, Indy Jess John
> <jimwarren@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 25/05/2021 18:24, Scott wrote:
>>> I have some footage to hand over to the police. I have saved it to a
>>> SanDisk USB 3.0 memory stick. Can I assume it will play okay on the
>>> police equipment and at court? Would standard USB provide better
>>> compatibility?
>>
>> USB3 is a standard that can also be read on earlier USB standards like
>> USB2 so the stick itself will be no problem. The format of the
>> recording is what really matters, and if you have recorded it on a
>> commonplace device then probably the police can read it.
>>
>> As belt and braces (in case the court is not so well equipped you could
>> also copy the file onto a CD or DVD depending on the file size.
>>
> Thanks. I'll offer them that tomorrow.

They also have the advantage of being write once. They can't be changed.

Andy

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<h3pqaghtqf1v1a9l4u38s30trcpeq4l2ij@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22876&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22876

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 21:57:49 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 25 May 2021 20:57 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 21:49:43 +0100, Vir Campestris
<vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 25/05/2021 20:40, Scott wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 May 2021 20:20:32 +0100, Indy Jess John
>> <jimwarren@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>> USB3 is a standard that can also be read on earlier USB standards like
>>> USB2 so the stick itself will be no problem. The format of the
>>> recording is what really matters, and if you have recorded it on a
>>> commonplace device then probably the police can read it.
>>>
>>> As belt and braces (in case the court is not so well equipped you could
>>> also copy the file onto a CD or DVD depending on the file size.
>>>
>> Thanks. I'll offer them that tomorrow.
>>
>They also have the advantage of being write once. They can't be changed.

True they can't be changed after burning but the defence could argue
they could have been manipulated before. Evidence may still be needed
to counter this.

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<pp2saghfqi0dg8jqjtques16248v09msdf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22885&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22885

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 09:49:43 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 26 May 2021 08:49 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 20:57:52 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 25/05/2021 20:20, Indy Jess John wrote:
>> On 25/05/2021 18:24, Scott wrote:
>>> I have some footage to hand over to the police.  I have saved it to a
>>> SanDisk USB 3.0 memory stick.  Can I assume it will play okay on the
>>> police equipment and at court?  Would standard USB provide better
>>> compatibility?
>>
>> USB3 is a standard that can also be read on earlier USB standards like
>> USB2 so the stick itself will be no problem.  The format of the
>> recording is what really matters, and if you have recorded it on a
>> commonplace device then probably the police can read it.
>>
>> As belt and braces (in case the court is not so well equipped you could
>> also copy the file onto a CD or DVD depending on the file size.
>
>Yes, in the past I've made up DVDs as police evidence so that all they
>had to do was just put it in a standard player.

One of the cops that came round worked in IT before joining the
police, so it worked out well. Apparently there are still problems
with court playable format.

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<rl4sagp8bdpmvt9qgdhgh2jbb29qf1gp09@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22891&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22891

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 10:21:40 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Wed, 26 May 2021 09:21 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 21:57:49 +0100, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 May 2021 21:49:43 +0100, Vir Campestris
><vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 25/05/2021 20:40, Scott wrote:

>>> Thanks. I'll offer them that tomorrow.
>>>
>>They also have the advantage of being write once. They can't be changed.
>>
>True they can't be changed after burning but the defence could argue
>they could have been manipulated before. Evidence may still be needed
>to counter this.

There's enough space on a DVD for you to use a permanent marker to
sign and date it, and for a witness to do the same if necessary.

Rod.

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<573e36c1-8daa-4c23-8f55-f489d41af75an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22928&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22928

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 10:36:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Wed, 26 May 2021 17:36 UTC

On Tuesday, 25 May 2021 at 18:24:31 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
> I have some footage to hand over to the police. I have saved it to a
> SanDisk USB 3.0 memory stick. Can I assume it will play okay on the
> police equipment and at court? Would standard USB provide better
> compatibility?

USB 3 will play just fine in a USB 2 device (better actually) - my TVs won't record into a USB 2 drive in a USB 2 slot (one complains, the other just doesn't do it), but will if a use a USB 3 drive.

The suggestion of transcribing to a DVD is probably best, you can write on it what it is, produce another if they lose or damage it and still keep the original for court.

PS if you are trying to mail someone for silly driving, just make sure it doesn't either show or allow the police to easily derive that you were breaking the speed limit. I once got a complain from a 'suicyclist' about a bus running a red light - it did - just, but it then showed the cyclist riding through a red light and over a pedestrian crossing!

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<s8nje7$cs4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22954&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22954

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 08:57:54 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 27 May 2021 07:57 UTC

Yes the time coding is used a lot to be sure its not been edited.
I can recall some of the later cassette machines used a special track with
timing clicks to detect if somebody had been dubbing it and editing bits
out.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> Woody wrote:
>
>> There are plenty of free progs on line that will convert it into a more
>> common format if necessary.
>
> If it's required for evidence, the least processing the better.

Re: OT: USB 3.0 flash drive

<drpuagl5miqa9tvp2h9ufdeg23tp9cum96@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22971&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22971

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 10:34:22 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 27 May 2021 09:34 UTC

On Thu, 27 May 2021 08:57:54 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Yes the time coding is used a lot to be sure its not been edited.
> I can recall some of the later cassette machines used a special track with
>timing clicks to detect if somebody had been dubbing it and editing bits
>out.
> Brian

Good point. This is dashcam footage so I expect the subtitles are
designed to prove integrity of the recording.