From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: AMD Ryzen
Date: 10 Jun 2022 12:19:06 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 12:19 UTC

I need to get a laptop with a bigger screen, partly because my eyes are
getting on a bit but mainly because I use it mostly to connect with my
desktop over RDP and run Visual Studio remotely, there's LOTS of
information on the screen!

Looking at 15.6" screen the AMD ones seem a bit cheaper, any views on AMD
-v- Intel?

At my age I buy things on the basis they may be my last so I don't want to
save £100 but end up with something disappointing!

Thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.

Re: AMD Ryzen

<T+n*iOnQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2288&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2288

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: AMD Ryzen
Date: 10 Jun 2022 16:49:53 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 15:49 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Looking at 15.6" screen the AMD ones seem a bit cheaper, any views on AMD
> -v- Intel?
>
> At my age I buy things on the basis they may be my last so I don't want to
> save £100 but end up with something disappointing!

Budget?

I can't say I've looked a lot at laptops, but Ryzens are pretty good on
desktops. But rather depends on what is available at your chosen price
point.

Do you have particular models in mind?

(bearing in mind both Ryzen and Intel Core are just brands, and i3/i5/i7/i9
is basically just 'good', 'better', 'best', 'bestest' at this point -
there's a huge difference in performance between an ultrabook i7 and a
desktop i7, for example)

Theo

Re: AMD Ryzen

<xn0niymjtj29yx201l@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2291&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2291

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 10 Jun 2022 21:37:19 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 21:37 UTC

On 10/06/2022 in message <T+n*iOnQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> Theo wrote:

>Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>Looking at 15.6" screen the AMD ones seem a bit cheaper, any views on AMD
>>-v- Intel?
>>
>>At my age I buy things on the basis they may be my last so I don't want to
>>save £100 but end up with something disappointing!
>
>Budget?
>
>I can't say I've looked a lot at laptops, but Ryzens are pretty good on
>desktops. But rather depends on what is available at your chosen price
>point.
>
>Do you have particular models in mind?
>
>(bearing in mind both Ryzen and Intel Core are just brands, and i3/i5/i7/i9
>is basically just 'good', 'better', 'best', 'bestest' at this point -
>there's a huge difference in performance between an ultrabook i7 and a
>desktop i7, for example)
>
>Theo

Many thanks Theo :-)

I have ordered an ASUS ExpertBook B1500 15.6" Full HD Laptop (Intel Core
i7-1165G7, 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 with free upgrade to Windows 11).

I ordered it last week but a long running dispute with my bank means they
refused to approve the c/c payment. I have set up an account with a
different bank that now works AND I saw the i5 I was planning to buy for
£399 is now £529 so I grabbed the i7 which was still at its old price of
£499. I think it's logical but it was partly at frustration at my old
bank who promised to send me a security code to unlock things a week ago
but it still hasn't arrived.

Thanks again!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility

Re: AMD Ryzen

<T+n*ZCrQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2292&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2292

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 11 Jun 2022 10:13:49 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 09:13 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I have ordered an ASUS ExpertBook B1500 15.6" Full HD Laptop (Intel Core
> i7-1165G7, 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 with free upgrade to Windows 11).
>
> I ordered it last week but a long running dispute with my bank means they
> refused to approve the c/c payment. I have set up an account with a
> different bank that now works AND I saw the i5 I was planning to buy for
> £399 is now £529 so I grabbed the i7 which was still at its old price of
> £499. I think it's logical but it was partly at frustration at my old
> bank who promised to send me a security code to unlock things a week ago
> but it still hasn't arrived.

That looks like a reasonable spec for the price. It's an ultrabook i7, so
don't expect to do weather simulation but should be fine for domestic
purposes. Last-gen, but fine if you don't need the extra
performance/battery improvement of Alder Lake.

I suspect they're cutting corners on the display (most pro laptops have >FHD
these days) but it's IPS so probably not awful. Asus are more at the budget
end compared with Dell and Lenovo so they might not have such a good build
quality, but it is a business laptop so they can't get away with too much
cheapness or their customers wouldn't buy it.

As long as you aren't expecting the earth, it sounds fine to me at that
price point. I wouldn't pay list price for it though.

Theo

Re: AMD Ryzen

<xn0nj0vf7l5p64t000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2293&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2293

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 12 Jun 2022 08:48:39 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 08:48 UTC

On 11/06/2022 in message <T+n*ZCrQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> Theo wrote:

>As long as you aren't expecting the earth, it sounds fine to me at that
>price point. I wouldn't pay list price for it though.

It arrived yesterday and is now set up and I am trying Visual Studio 2022,
often makes it run at 100% CPU usage which is a good test.

On price it's difficult to tell I think, i5 models are being advertise at
£999 so I think I will tell myself I have a reasonable deal!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Re: AMD Ryzen

<3uabah9fds06hbqidafklfue3ohc2grijs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2295&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2295

From: dannewsg...@outlookSPAMXXX.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 10:03:15 +0100
 by: Dan - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 09:03 UTC

On 12 Jun 2022 08:48:39 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On 11/06/2022 in message <T+n*ZCrQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> Theo wrote:
>
>>As long as you aren't expecting the earth, it sounds fine to me at that
>>price point. I wouldn't pay list price for it though.
>
>It arrived yesterday and is now set up and I am trying Visual Studio 2022,
>often makes it run at 100% CPU usage which is a good test.
>
>On price it's difficult to tell I think, i5 models are being advertise at
>£999 so I think I will tell myself I have a reasonable deal!

Have you looked at Dell outlet?

Re: AMD Ryzen

<xn0nj0yyolae49e002@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2299&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2299

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 12 Jun 2022 11:00:02 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 11:00 UTC

On 12/06/2022 in message <3uabah9fds06hbqidafklfue3ohc2grijs@4ax.com> Dan
wrote:

>On 12 Jun 2022 08:48:39 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
><jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 11/06/2022 in message <T+n*ZCrQy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> Theo
>>wrote:
>>
>>>As long as you aren't expecting the earth, it sounds fine to me at that
>>>price point. I wouldn't pay list price for it though.
>>
>>It arrived yesterday and is now set up and I am trying Visual Studio 2022,
>>often makes it run at 100% CPU usage which is a good test.
>>
>>On price it's difficult to tell I think, i5 models are being advertise at
>>£999 so I think I will tell myself I have a reasonable deal!
>

>Have you looked at Dell outlet?

I Googled for 15.6" laptop under £500 from memory and the Asus came up. I
have it now, I'm not looking at anything else!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those