From: nige...@ukonline.co.uk (Nigel Emery)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Do we use DPUs in the UK?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 00:48:19 +0000
 by: Nigel Emery - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 00:48 UTC

On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 19:05:05 +0000, Graham Harrison
<edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I suspect it was simply an operational convenience but who knows?

I've read somewhere in the last week (no idea where) that it's to
allow Freightliner to split the jumbo trains from the Mendips without
paying to use Acton Yard. So the loco in the middle is just DIT and is
only crewed once the front portion is uncoupled. So cost reduction not
operational convenience!

Re: Do we use DPUs in the UK?

<su5m1p$d46$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22943&group=uk.railway#22943

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 12:50:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:DOoz6LrYBxsqfooRcxm+RngM8Lg=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 12:50 UTC

Nigel Emery <nigele3@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 19:05:05 +0000, Graham Harrison
> <edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> I suspect it was simply an operational convenience but who knows?
>
> I've read somewhere in the last week (no idea where) that it's to
> allow Freightliner to split the jumbo trains from the Mendips without
> paying to use Acton Yard. So the loco in the middle is just DIT and is
> only crewed once the front portion is uncoupled. So cost reduction not
> operational convenience!

AFAIK it's currently only the empties which run like this, of two trains
which run up separately but get coupled for the ECS. The jumbo trains are
different, splitting at Acton yard for various destinations, using
additional locos which don't then run to/from Wiltshire.

As well as saving use of the yard, it is also for operational convenience
as it saves the shunting necessary to rearrange the train!

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Do we use DPUs in the UK?

<3pkGYgj7cgMrFZLneOIGzh7IBe1m@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22995&group=uk.railway#22995

From: nige...@ukonline.co.uk (Nigel Emery)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 17:22:48 +0000
 by: Nigel Emery - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 17:22 UTC

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 12:50:02 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
<anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>AFAIK it's currently only the empties which run like this, of two trains
>which run up separately but get coupled for the ECS. The jumbo trains are
>different, splitting at Acton yard for various destinations, using
>additional locos which don't then run to/from Wiltshire.
>
>As well as saving use of the yard, it is also for operational convenience
>as it saves the shunting necessary to rearrange the train!

Thanks. I'm sure the article was about more than the current
arrangements on the down trains but despite a good search I can't find
it. I'll post again if I come across it or something similar